Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There’s that Oring on the deck> And that coupling goes on the bottom and screws onto the chimney, making the 2 parts a unit. Haven’t had any leaking with hand tight.
upload_2019-6-26_9-26-58.png

I’ve wicked it 3 times to find my sweet spot. The first 2 times it was good up to about 25ish watts.

The first time I think it was too tight in the coil, and tails too thick even though I thinned them a little. because I cut it next to ports like media advised, thinned, used dam method using only the bottom of the wick. OK at low wattage but anemic > getting dry when moved up from 25w. When I opened it the wick was partially crushed buy the chimney meeting the deck near at the flat part of the ports.

Next was like Damn Vape suggests on their site. Thinned tails a little more and wicked it like a GTA style deck with all the tail in the port. Same result.

Didn’t take pics but the 3RD time is what works for me. A little looser in the coil, cut it at the edge of the deck similar to where the scissors are, thinned it quite a bit, cut it again at the edge of the port and at a slight angle like the green line because I didn’t want any part of the chimney sliding down to trap wick. And after fluffing upwards – tucking in the bottom of the tail, and bringing the outside corner ends of the wick into the port – I was left with just a little visible nub of wick showing in the side port. Lastly I angle cut the top off a little like the red line but not all the way to the coil, to make sure the dome of the chimney didn’t compress.
12.png
Now it’s good for higher than my 30-35w and tried it at 60 and didn’t get any dry or anemic tasting hits.

The great flavor is just as good as Unity.
Same good threading/machining on both.
A little more AF fully open. Noticeable.
Although different, the task of wicking is about the same to me.
Fill ports are bigger/better. No twist top though.
I like that it’s 25mm at the base and goes to 26 from AFC ring up.
The AFC ring has about perfect tolerance. Easy to adjust while on a mod yet stays in place.
Unlike Unity I can see the bottom of the tank and juice level without tilting it.

I personally like the shorter/stocky appearance more than Unity, of course, that’s why I bought it and why among my other findings if I was going to buy 1 of them it would be Doom.
pci.jpg

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking at these last night, so far I haven't been very happy with mesh rtas. I get a lot of dry hits on my kylin mesh, so it's been shelved. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I was looking at these last night, so far I haven't been very happy with mesh rtas. I get a lot of dry hits on my kylin mesh, so it's been shelved. I'll be watching this thread closely.
Sounds like you need more experimental wicking.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
The only thing I don't like about the Unity is the height. I have several RTAs that are good but nowhere near the flavor of the unity.
I really like the looks of the Doom, I guess I better get one ordered. :)

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'm the same way about tall tanks. Unless they are 28+mm

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There’s that Oring on the deck> And that coupling goes on the bottom and screws onto the chimney, making the 2 parts a unit. Haven’t had any leaking with hand tight.
View attachment 141503

I’ve wicked it 3 times to find my sweet spot. The first 2 times it was good up to about 25ish watts.

The first time I think it was too tight in the coil, and tails too thick even though I thinned them a little. because I cut it next to ports like media advised, thinned, used dam method using only the bottom of the wick. OK at low wattage but anemic > getting dry when moved up from 25w. When I opened it the wick was partially crushed buy the chimney meeting the deck near at the flat part of the ports.

Next was like Damn Vape suggests on their site. Thinned tails a little more and wicked it like a GTA style deck with all the tail in the port. Same result.

Didn’t take pics but the 3RD time is what works for me. A little looser in the coil, cut it at the edge of the deck similar to where the scissors are, thinned it quite a bit, cut it again at the edge of the port and at a slight angle like the green line because I didn’t want any part of the chimney sliding down to trap wick. And after fluffing upwards – tucking in the bottom of the tail, and bringing the outside corner ends of the wick into the port – I was left with just a little visible nub of wick showing in the side port. Lastly I angle cut the top off a little like the red line but not all the way to the coil, to make sure the dome of the chimney didn’t compress.
View attachment 141504
Now it’s good for higher than my 30-35w and tried it at 60 and didn’t get any dry or anemic tasting hits.

The great flavor is just as good as Unity.
Same good threading/machining on both.
A little more AF fully open. Noticeable.
Although different, the task of wicking is about the same to me.
Fill ports are bigger/better. No twist top though.
I like that it’s 25mm at the base and goes to 26 from AFC ring up.
The AFC ring has about perfect tolerance. Easy to adjust while on a mod yet stays in place.
Unlike Unity I can see the bottom of the tank and juice level without tilting it.

I personally like the shorter/stocky appearance more than Unity, of course, that’s why I bought it and why among my other findings if I was going to buy 1 of them it would be Doom.
View attachment 141506
I haven't gotten into mesh but that is a really cool looking atty!

Nice mod too! The dual 21700's are great!

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Vaping With Vic has a video review showing a wicking that should work well with the Doom waiting on USPS to deliver one to me it got routed wrong and now is going thur manual routing which could take a few extra days i just hope it arrives and does not break in the shipping.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I must have looked at 4 or more reviews beforehand. Saw one today I hadn't seen. Darth Vaper. I think he's overly fiddly and even suggests letting it sit for 5 mins before vaping:confused: But his wicking end result is like what I do w/o all the tinkering with it, except he has it tighter in the coil.
Seems an air pocket could form when first filling it, so I tilt and let it go in one hole and out other before filling it up the first time.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
received mine today. so far when compared to the profile rda. the air flow is not as open but close due to how this rta is designed. wicking is a bit easier then most RTA i have used so that is a plus. i am able to pull higher watts then my rda using the oxto mesh but the flavor seems a bit muted to me maybe the profile spoiled me. i may one day pick up a unity to compare but i'll wait for a good deal or for someone to post one in hardware.
next Test will be with ofrf or my own SS mesh. and a slightly different wicking tweak.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
received mine today. so far when compared to the profile rda. the air flow is not as open but close due to how this rta is designed. wicking is a bit easier then most RTA i have used so that is a plus. i am able to pull higher watts then my rda using the oxto mesh but the flavor seems a bit muted to me maybe the profile spoiled me. i may one day pick up a unity to compare but i'll wait for a good deal or for someone to post one in hardware.
next Test will be with ofrf or my own SS mesh. and a slightly different wicking tweak.
The Profile spoiled you.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well update sort of i tried the octo mesh in the profile and with the better air flow it has flavor on par with nextmesh less spitty as well. next ofrf order im getting 316L gonna try a differnt juice in the am in the doom... might even grab a unity if budget allows.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm done experimenting with this POS, I tried wicking it at least a dozen times. I don't have any trouble with any of my other rtas.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread into a Unity thing, but I am not much of a mesh guy overall and I doubt you'll find many people who have spent more time on more ways to setup mesh. That said I get 75 watts all day with 4-5 seconds hits, no dry ones and great flavor.

Still not my favorite, but for somebody who would really like mesh, it can be done. It does have a unique distinctive mesh smoothness.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
well update sort of i tried the octo mesh in the profile and with the better air flow it has flavor on par with nextmesh less spitty as well. next ofrf order im getting 316L gonna try a differnt juice in the am in the doom... might even grab a unity if budget allows.
I ordered OFRF SS yesterday before they opened, but they didn't get it sent yet so now next week.:mad:
I think I'll like it even more in TC.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
My experience with the Doom started bad. First time I wicked it like I wick the Profile and the Unity. At first it seemed fine but as soon as the juice I had saturated it with during the wicking process burned off it was dry hit City!
So I headed YouTube and every video I watched had a different process, go figure.
My second and third time didn't produce and better results.
The fourth time was the charm!

The last video I watched (link below) was the ticket. I've ran 4 tanks of juice through it with no leaking, no dry hits, just a good, flavorful, nice vape.
My sweet spot is 50 watts, I'm running it on a DNA 60 box so I ran it up to 60 watts and still no issues.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
My experience with the Doom started bad. First time I wicked it like I wick the Profile and the Unity. At first it seemed fine but as soon as the juice I had saturated it with during the wicking process burned off it was dry hit City!
So I headed YouTube and every video I watched had a different process, go figure.
My second and third time didn't produce and better results.
The fourth time was the charm!

The last video I watched (link below) was the ticket. I've ran 4 tanks of juice through it with no leaking, no dry hits, just a good, flavorful, nice vape.
My sweet spot is 50 watts, I'm running it on a DNA 60 box so I ran it up to 60 watts and still no issues.

From the vids I seen, that Darth Vaper one is closest to how I wick it.
Glad you got it going.

bikerboogieman

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I sure do like how the Doom looks, but for this sub ohm lovin noob, it looks like a bit of an effort for something that lasts about 4 days. I'm not really looking forward to this stage when I get there. :eek:

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well what i found out if 4 cotton threads is about right with enough thinning like the profile. however i always need a lot of cotton top of the deck to help damm or close off the juice from flooding. juice floods either from over wicking or from not enough like all tanks. flavor for me is close to the profile but i have yet to get it perfect i tend to get those cut off aglets and use parts of it as patches when the leak is from not enough and it works perfectly. i tend to run sweet juices so i rewick every other day or so and have yet to get a dry hit on the doom by comparison i did get a profile dry hit over the weekend on my sqonker but that was due to the mod going to 200 watts talk about Satan's farts that was an experience i will not forget or hopefully every repeat.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
hehe
That's another thing I like. Other than the bottom, the glass has the only branding [coating of some sort] . I'm going to see if I can clean or razor it off of the spare.
I know this is an old Post but some fine steel wool wipes that logo right off.

74306a4923b4a374c05012f6b66ab49c.jpg

0c603caffbcfbd4ae997844ece30d808.jpg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I know this is an old Post but some fine steel wool wipes that logo right off.

74306a4923b4a374c05012f6b66ab49c.jpg

0c603caffbcfbd4ae997844ece30d808.jpg

Not that old, since I haven't done it yet:)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I done it the day I got mine.

Mine's been living on X217 and imo the color of the logo ties in with the color of the unlit led [post #1], and a pretty good looking logo it is.
Your setup, or on diff mods of mine, no logo looks awesome.
For the spare, I don't have any steel wool around here so I'll try a couple thing I do have.

At first I was in love with this RTA (especially since it's my first mesh RTA) and I wicked it perfectly the FIRST time :inlove: but I needed to wick it again because it was burned a bit.
So I wicked it again... DRY HITS :(
Wicked it again, and of course ANOTHER DRY HIT after a few hits.

I don't know what goes wrong because I wick it almost exactly like Darth Vaper (even wicked it on my Geekvape Blade for extra luck :cool:) but still got dry hits... does anyone has tips that works for you? I'm going to fix it tomorrow but I'm curious about the experiences from others for wicking this RTA.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
At first I was in love with this RTA (especially since it's my first mesh RTA) and I wicked it perfectly the FIRST time :inlove: but I needed to wick it again because it was burned a bit.
So I wicked it again... DRY HITS :(
Wicked it again, and of course ANOTHER DRY HIT after a few hits.

I don't know what goes wrong because I wick it almost exactly like Darth Vaper (even wicked it on my Geekvape Blade for extra luck :cool:) but still got dry hits... does anyone has tips that works for you? I'm going to fix it tomorrow but I'm curious about the experiences from others for wicking this RTA.
Welcome to VU. :cheers:

I've wicked it a couple times since when....and here's what I do. I don't have the pics I need to convey but I may rewick to get some if need be.

I don't thin. My first cut is the green line, and it can be more straight up instead of angled like the pic.
This is the cut where I make sure that the top part of the deck, where that little flat sliver next to the wick is [blue arrow], is exposed and not completely covered by wick, like Damn Vape's method.

Then where the width of the tail is, where it goes out onto the area marked in [yellow], I snip those ends off. The Idea is to not expose the wicking port, but to leave just a little sticking out [purple], since that's easier then getting it perfect.

Right now there's a just short nub of wick.

Next I barely tuck the ends in from [purple] earlier. It's not really tucking as much as it is getting that part of the deck exposed so the chimney doesn't come down on it.
Then I push along the bottom of it [black], and I wouldn't say DOWN into the port, but at just a little angle so it makes a small bump of wick that can be seen in the port. It's easy to over do it here so just ease along the bottom till you get a tad of wick in the port. The wick doesn't hang down,, 1/2 way or even part way. Just barely in the port window, so to speak. And that barely part doesn't have to go all the way across the port.

Last thing I do is angle cut the top so that doesn't get crushed.

Some pull a few strands of wick down from under the deck, I don't. Up to you. If so I'd do that after the first cut.
DOOM WICK.png

Last edited:
Welcome to VU. :cheers:

I've wicked it a couple times since when....and here's what I do. I don't have the pics I need to convey but I may rewick to get some if need be.

I don't thin. My first cut is the green line, and it can be more straight up instead of angled like the pic.
This is the cut where I make sure that the top part of the deck, where that little flat sliver next to the wick is [blue arrow], is exposed and not completely covered by wick, like Damn Vape says.

Then where the width of the tail is, where it goes out onto the area marked in [yellow], I snip those ends off. The Idea is to not expose the wicking port, but to leave just a little sticking out [purple], since that's easier then getting it perfect.

Right now there's a just short nub of wick.

Next I barely tuck the ends in from [purple] earlier. It's not really tucking as much as it is getting that part of the deck exposed so the chimney doesn't come down on it.
Then I push along the bottom of it [black], and I wouldn't say DOWN into the port, but at just a little angle so it makes a small bump of wick that can be seen in the port. It's easy to over do it here so just ease along the bottom till you get a tad of wick in the port. The wick doesn't hang down,, 1/2 way or even part way. Just barely in the port window, so to speak. And that barely part doesn't have to go all the way across the port.

Last thing I do is angle cut the top so that doesn't get crushed.

Some pull a few strands of wick down from under the deck, I don't. Up to you. If so I'd do that after the first cut.
View attachment 144281

Thanks!! That was helpfull! I'm about to try that later today and let you know the result :)

Back with an update:

IT WORKS AGAIN :D
I'm so happy I can finally use my Doom RTA, and I wicked it as close as Vape Fan said and it finally worked! Flavour is amazing again (maybe even better than the first time I wicked it), only thing is, when I fill the tank, the liquid leaks a bit through the airflow holes... but that's only when I fill it up, not when I vape and it's filled like 30 minutes ago... maybe not enough cotton?
But that's not my worst issue, those were definitaly the dry hits... Thanks again Vape Fan!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You're welcome.
You can try little adjustments from there, as to what works best for you. Maybe a little less off the top .

Hi everyone
Vic your vid on the doom is well done I have watched it about 4 times over
I ordered my TRA some time ago still waiting for it to arrive
Sure I will enjoy the whole mesh experiance
Thank you for all you do for the vape community
PS: I'm new to vaping

This took me a couple of attempts to wick right, as stated cut the cotton as close to the deck as possible. Tbic it out and handle the sides, drop the bottom of the wick in, about 2/5's. Then saturate the living hell out of the cotton.

THEN, pull the cotton up, only by 2mm, but enough to drag some out of the well. Then just sit that onto of the well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Got my RTA's on the 19th of November the first build was smooth had a few leaking problems on the second tank but got it sorted in the end
the trick is lots of cotton not too little :)

VU Sponsors