Become a Patron!

Dead battery came back to life !

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
my very first set of batts, 4, LG HE2 18650 20A. that I bought from central vapor back about 5 1/2 months now.
after about 2 months, 1 of them would not take a charge. so I just set it aside. this morn I was vaping YouTube and came across a vid of a guy reviving a batt. so I just put this one in the charger. it said 4.03v !
so I just let it charge. I am right now using it. the mod batt bars say it is even with its old mate.

whodda thunk.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't try to remarry it with another battery though. Especially before you're sure what it's condition is.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
How did you do this? You just stuck your dead batt in the carger?

I had been putting it in the charger periodically for a while now, nothing. then after the vid I tried it again, and BAM.
I am guessing the protection somehow got stuck. so yeah, just put it in there with 2 other batts there were in there.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I wouldn't try to remarry it with another battery though. Especially before you're sure what it's condition is.

to late, I had been using it for the last 4 hours. no problems. but, I will not really know what conditions it's really in = it had quit 1 time already, so...

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You ran the discharge refresh or test on it already?

nah, I live on the wild side ! :facepalm:

I just now put em in the charger . it's like nothing ever happened.

btw, have you check out the April VU challenge thread ?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have had this happen before too.

Every one of the four LG HE4's and a pair of HE2's that I had quit working just out of nowhere.

I ditched the HE2's because they were pretty old but I got 2 of the HE4's to come back
I use them in my flashlight now.

I have two dozen batteries in my rotation so there's no real reason to use them in a mod anymore.

The part that sketches me out is that I do not know if the protection is a one time deal and I just bypassed it by "fixing" them or not.
So i'm just pretending like it did just in case.

I also had my only pair of 26650's (Ijoy) do the same thing.
I brought them both back and still use those in my holm slice

I paid less for the holm slice than I did for the pair of 26650's so screw it.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a single 20s that flipped out on me like that. It dropped randomly down to like 2.7 volts. My yihi mod and my ohm reader and my opus charger analyzer all read the same.

I ran it through the test on the opus and it appears to be normal now. I'm running it as a single in a regulated mod at the moment, but I'm not even sure about that really..

I don't think there's any way I could put that thing under my nose in a mech after that.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I don't think there's any way I could put that thing under my nose in a mech after that.

Oh, no way.
A regulated mod is different.
I would never put a battery like that in a mech.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had been putting it in the charger periodically for a while now, nothing. then after the vid I tried it again, and BAM.
I am guessing the protection somehow got stuck. so yeah, just put it in there with 2 other batts there were in there.
Guess what? I remembered your thread while I happened to see my dead Ijoy 20700. I put it away because it wouldn't even read on my charger, like 0.00v. I put it on my charger after about a year of ot being set aside, maybe more. It was 3.55v and it's taking a charge. I don't know what happened or why its back.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You keep referring to protection as if it were built into the batteries. You realize all of these are unprotected cells, right? There is no protection circuit in these batteries, they either produce voltage or they don't. Now if they were under a certain charge level, any reputable charge will refuse to charge them, but that's about the extent of your per-cell protection outside of a regulated mod.

If they randomly stopped working they were either undercharged and thus have potentially suffered internal damage and have been deemed unsafe to use by the mod/charger protection circuit OR you just had a bad connection due to a number of potential reasons such as dented positive contacts to buckled wraps, etc.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You keep referring to protection as if it were built into the batteries. You realize all of these are unprotected cells, right? There is no protection circuit in these batteries, they either produce voltage or they don't. Now if they were under a certain charge level, any reputable charge will refuse to charge them, but that's about the extent of your per-cell protection outside of a regulated mod.

If they randomly stopped working they were either undercharged and thus have potentially suffered internal damage and have been deemed unsafe to use by the mod/charger protection circuit OR you just had a bad connection due to a number of potential reasons such as dented positive contacts to buckled wraps, etc.

yeah, I read, or misread, that they had built in protection. now I know they don't.

no undercharge or bad connection. I put it in the charger many times. when it started working, it showed around 4v.
and my wraps are like new, as are all my batts.

wth happened, idk. but I am regularly using that batt, and it works, as if nothing happened.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you don't know why it was acting up and have no way of knowing if there is internal damage, you have no idea how it may fail next. Might keep working forever, might stop working again at random like before, might dead short and blow it's top. Why risk it for $5-10?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you don't know why it was acting up and have no way of knowing if there is internal damage, you have no idea how it may fail next. Might keep working forever, might stop working again at random like before, might dead short and blow it's top. Why risk it for $5-10?
This has been my point @jinx'd .

I didn't realize that you didn't know that the batteries had no protections. I have retired that single 20s of mine taking my own advice.

With that one, I had it in my copper Panzer tube and I picked it up to use it and it was like not hitting at all. Not really. I couldn't tell if I was getting no vapor whatsoever or so little that it was barely noticeable. (ya had to be there)

I took it all apart and checked everything and it all looked fine. Put it back together and same thing. The battery had maybe 8 or 10 pulls on that charge and was working fine when I put it down last. Put another 20S in the mod and it lights right up.

I put the suspect battery in my ohm reader and I don't remember it if actually gave a voltage or just the symbols for when it's low, but I then put it on my Opus and it read 2.7. It should have been at least 4 volts.

The internal resistance test, run several times, came out ok. I ran it through the capacity test, which takes HOURS, and that also came out fine. It returned to a little over 2000 mah and held it's charge at full. The multimeter told me 4.18.

I put it in the Cut and it seems fine.

BUT...

That little voice keeps nagging at me, in pretty much these exact words:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
They don't have "protection" like a cutoff at a certain amp limit like some button top 18650 flashlight batteries do.

They do have this very thin metal piece under the positive terminal that can become disconnected.
This is why they will just stop working for seemingly no reason.

Damn, I was trying to explain this and I found a link that is EXCELLENT on the types of cells we use.
It's a site about making DIY battery packs for electric bicycles but it has all kinds of graphs and goes into detail about the 18650 cell.

it's got really good info:
https://www.electricbike.com/inside-18650-cell/

In the center where I highlighted the two metal pieces will separate making the positive terminal no longer connected.

upload_2019-5-8_6-36-9.png

When this spot disconnects that's when the battery just stops working out of nowhere for seemingly no reason.

VU Sponsors