Become a Patron!

Deeks'(Blue)berry Custard!*

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*Contains DA/AP etc

Ok, so the regular Deeksberry Custard seemed to be a hit so I ventured into a blueberry version. I got a number of dm's asking about making it with blueberry and I like that idea. Full disclosure****i don't use A LOT of blueberry****, but I do really really like this mix. Took me a number of attempts to get the BB and sweetness leveled out so here we go:

CAP - Vanilla Custard V1 8%
CAP - Blueberry 4.5%
FA - Bilberry 1%
CAP - Golden Butter 1%
INW - Biscuit 1%
LOR - Cream Cheese Icing 1%

This isn't your semi-sweet custard, it is a nice blueberry inhale, and sweet cream cheese exhale. It really reminds me of some donuts my wife picks up every once in a while that are like glazed blueberry donut holes. Anyway, I really fuckin like it lol... I mix at 20pg 80vg and haven't adjusted beyond that as its my preferred ratio.

For those that are mixing a 50ml batch by weight with the flavoring at 1 to 1 here's a shortcut for my 20/80 preference at 3mg nicotine (Vaperstek nic, VG based/100mg):

Cap - VC 4.00
Cap - BB 2.25
FA - Bil 0.50
CAP - GB 0.50
INW - BSKT 0.50
LOR - CCI 0.50

VG: 48.55
PG: 1.79
NIC: 1.85

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
*Contains DA/AP etc

Ok, so the regular Deeksberry Custard seemed to be a hit so I ventured into a blueberry version. I got a number of dm's asking about making it with blueberry and I like that idea. Full disclosure****i don't use A LOT of blueberry****, but I do really really like this mix. Took me a number of attempts to get the BB and sweetness leveled out so here we go:

CAP - Vanilla Custard V1 8%
CAP - Blueberry 4.5%
FA - Bilberry 1%
CAP - Golden Butter 1%
INW - Biscuit 1%
LOR - Cream Cheese Icing 1%

This isn't your semi-sweet custard, it is a nice blueberry inhale, and sweet cream cheese exhale. It really reminds me of some donuts my wife picks up every once in a while that are like glazed blueberry donut holes. Anyway, I really fuckin like it lol... I mix at 20pg 80vg and haven't adjusted beyond that as its my preferred ratio.

For those that are mixing a 50ml batch by weight with the flavoring at 1 to 1 here's a shortcut for my 20/80 preference at 3mg nicotine (Vaperstek nic, VG based/100mg):

Cap - VC 4.00
Cap - BB 2.25
FA - Bil 0.50
CAP - GB 0.50
INW - BSKT 0.50
LOR - CCI 0.50

VG: 48.55
PG: 1.79
NIC: 1.85

Can I sub Cap Golden Butter with tpa butter? I have everything but that. This sounds good! Thanks for sharing

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can I sub Cap Golden Butter with tpa butter? I have everything but that. This sounds good! Thanks for sharing
Sorry I havent tried the tpa butter :( so I hate to offer advice on that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry I havent tried the tpa butter :( so I hate to offer advice on that

I reckon I'll add it to my list. lol always adding!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I might try a version of this, leaving out the butter flavor and substituting TFA Vanilla Swirl to get rid of the diketones.

Andria

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I might try a version of this, leaving out the butter flavor and substituting TFA Vanilla Swirl to get rid of the diketones.

Andria
You'd have to probably use Caps v2 custard as well if your trying to avoid the diketones. I personally dont like the v2 as well so I rarely mix with it and havent attempted to sub it in on this recipe

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You'd have to probably use Caps v2 custard as well if your trying to avoid the diketones. I personally dont like the v2 as well so I rarely mix with it and havent attempted to sub it in on this recipe

Can't abide Caps custard v2, it just SCREAMS "artificial" -- that's why I use TFa Vanilla Swirl -- it's also diketone-free, and MUCH better.

Andria

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent gotten on board with the swirl yet. I got a 30ml bottle about a month ago and actually had some in this original recipe but the blueberry was almost absorbed by it after a couple days. So i dropped it, added the golden butter and it steeped out nicely for my preference :)

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Andria
I would love to know how it turned out for you :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would love to know how it turned out for you :)

I was thinking of taking it more into a 'blueberry cheesecake' direction, instead of blueberry custard... just recently got some of that LOR cream cheese icing, and also some LOR cheesecake. The INW Biscuit woould give it a nice "pie crusty" flavor without the diketones that most of the graham cracker flavors have -- plus, I usually prefer a shortbread rather than graham cracker crust, when I make a pie, and I think the Biscuit would go there nicely.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I havent gotten on board with the swirl yet. I got a 30ml bottle about a month ago and actually had some in this original recipe but the blueberry was almost absorbed by it after a couple days. So i dropped it, added the golden butter and it steeped out nicely for my preference :)

Hmm, the Vanilla Swirl IS a pretty dominant flavor... might need to drop the percentage a smidge; also was going to add about 1% of TFA DX Bavarian, which boosts the "custardy-ness" a little, rather than just vanilla.

Just brainstorming; I've been trying to make something really good blueberry-wise for a long time, and just haven't quite hit it yet.

Andria

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nice call using some INW Biscuit, excellent flavor.
Gotta try that trick in my own Custard & Cheesecake mixes;).

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was thinking of taking it more into a 'blueberry cheesecake' direction, instead of blueberry custard... just recently got some of that LOR cream cheese icing, and also some LOR cheesecake. The INW Biscuit woould give it a nice "pie crusty" flavor without the diketones that most of the graham cracker flavors have -- plus, I usually prefer a shortbread rather than graham cracker crust, when I make a pie, and I think the Biscuit would go there nicely.

Andria
My last order I purchased all those flavors! I'd gone on a spree after my income tax came in lol. I mixed up some plain LA Cheesecake about 4 days ago and I'm aging it just to see how it tastes at 4%. I love cheesecake but I never seem to get the full rich flavor that an actual real cheesecake has....I do get some kind of dream whip cheesecake most of the time.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My last order I purchased all those flavors! I'd gone on a spree after my income tax came in lol. I mixed up some plain LA Cheesecake about 4 days ago and I'm aging it just to see how it tastes at 4%. I love cheesecake but I never seem to get the full rich flavor that an actual real cheesecake has....I do get some kind of dream whip cheesecake most of the time.

I mixed up one a couple weeks ago, using INW Lemon Cake with the LOR cheese cake and cream cheese icing. Was thinking of giving it a try today; it was completely underwhelming when tasted the day after mixing, but it's a really nice golden color now, might be really good.

Andria

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I mixed up one a couple weeks ago, using INW Lemon Cake with the LOR cheese cake and cream cheese icing. Was thinking of giving it a try today; it was completely underwhelming when tasted the day after mixing, but it's a really nice golden color now, might be really good.

Andria
Looking forward to your opinion :)

Elites

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Deeks are there any sub for CAP BB and CCI as I have more then 300 flavours but no CAP blueberry and Cheesecake Icing ? :mad: I have

Inawera Blueberry Concentrate
FW Blueberry
TFA Blueberry (Extra)
TFA Blueberry Wild
Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe with us very much appreciated. :bliss:

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Deeks are there any sub for CAP BB and CCI as I have more then 300 flavours but no CAP blueberry and Cheesecake Icing ? :mad: I have

FW Blueberry
TFA Blueberry (Extra)
TFA Blueberry Wild
Dang I wish I could offer so advice on those sub ins but in all honesty I havent tried any of those yet :( The cream cheese icing is a one of a kind tho I think. Ive only been doing diy for just shy of a year so I have tons of flavors to try still! Im getting close to the 150 mark in my collection with maybe like 20 I havent even cracked the seal on yet.

Someone will probably jump in for the assist on those tho

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the blueberries, I was planning to substitute:

TFA - Blueberry Extra 6.5%
TFA - Blueberry Wild 2%
INW - Bilberry 1%

Mainly because those are the only blueberries I have that I actually like; I went up a good bit on the percentages because I've already experienced that Blueberry Extra is a little on the weak side, when mixed with other flavors -- though to me, it's a very authentic flavor. Blueberry Extra also tends to go very muted if used over 8%, so I added those other two to punch it up a little.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Looking forward to your opinion :)

Posted it here, just now... didn't wanna clutter up this thread with something entirely unrelated.

Andria

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

FW Blueberry
TFA Blueberry (Extra)
TFA Blueberry Wild

You can use either FW or TFA Blueberry Wild, 5% normally anyway.
Don't have the "Extra" tho.
Try without the CCI or use a bit of Yogurt instead?

wallendusty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just mixed up a 30 ML batch 20/80 3% NIC. The initial shake and vape: good flavor on the blueberry and a slight hint of the creaminess. I can see the flavors coming together after steeping. Very good recipe and I can see this being in my rotation. Thank you for posting.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

wallendusty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just mixed up a 30 ML batch 20/80 3% NIC. The initial shake and vape: good flavor on the blueberry and a slight hint of the creaminess. I can see the flavors coming together after steeping. Very good recipe and I can see this being in my rotation. Thank you for posting.

Oh yeah forgot, vaping on a snubnose RDA, running twisted 26 gauge dual coils, .25 ohms @ 55 watts with organic cotton.

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I know a bit of time has passed, but just wanted to add that I have subbed TPA's Butter in place of CAP's Golden Butter in another recipe, and although I can't say which is better (since all I have is the TPA version), the recipe turned out quite well! :)

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Any recommendations on a suitable substitute for LA's Cream Cheese icing? ...or is it time to place another flavor order? ;)

By the by, I just made some of the real stuff last night for vanilla cupcakes - delicious! The cupcakes are already gone. lol

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know a bit of time has passed, but just wanted to add that I have subbed TPA's Butter in place of CAP's Golden Butter in another recipe, and although I can't say which is better (since all I have is the TPA version), the recipe turned out quite well! :)
probably about the same percentage?

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Exactly! I havent actually tried any other butter flavor but I was going for extra buttery in a few of my most recent custards. Have a good raspberry one in the makings as well

Rasssssspberryyyyyy Cussssstarrrrrrd --- mmmmmmmm. **Drooling a la Homer Simpson style** LOL :xD:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Any recommendations on a suitable substitute for LA's Cream Cheese icing? ...or is it time to place another flavor order? ;)

By the by, I just made some of the real stuff last night for vanilla cupcakes - delicious! The cupcakes are already gone. lol

I really don't think there is anything that can be substituted for that. Think of the flavor of the actual stuff... nothing else tastes quite like it.

Andria

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I really don't think there is anything that can be substituted for that. Think of the flavor of the actual stuff... nothing else tastes quite like it.

Andria

Thanks for the confirmation, AndriaD - I figured that was probably the case. I love cream cheese frosting, so it's probably a good investment for me anyhow - sooooo many flavors on my wish list! ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the confirmation, AndriaD - I figured that was probably the case. I love cream cheese frosting, so it's probably a good investment for me anyhow - sooooo many flavors on my wish list! ;)

What I've heard about the cream cheese frosting flavor is that it's very strong, and very sweet -- I think a max of 2% is what I saw recommended, and that's apparently REALLY sweet. So a little goes a long way?

Andria

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What I've heard about the cream cheese frosting flavor is that it's very strong, and very sweet -- I think a max of 2% is what I saw recommended, and that's apparently REALLY sweet. So a little goes a long way?
Andria

I concur. Ive yet to use it over 1.5% in anything

Duly noted! Gotta love it when a little goes a long way. Efficiency makes my day. (I live a simple life. lol!)

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I really need to get on a blueberry cheesecake vape. Still procrastinating on that, which is the part of mixing I do best -- procrastinating. :D

Andria

Hey, blueberry cheesecake yeahhhh - me too! I've been meaning to craft one up here for quite some time now. I have strawberry, and lemon cheesecakes (and LOVE them!), and I've got a nice recipe for a lemon raspberry one that I have yet to try (I think it's squonk's recipe...?)..........but I have yet to come across a recipe for blueberry, though I'm sure it could be done easily enough by swapping the fruit flavors with one of my other recipes.

So yes! I totally hear you on the procrastination-thing-a-ma-gig. I was going to start an online group for procrastinators...I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ba-dum-CHING! :sneaka:

**crickets**

:slowclap::facepalm: :wait:

LOL! ;):p:D

P.S. Thanks for tolerating my foolishness on your lovely blueberry custard thread, Deeks. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey, blueberry cheesecake yeahhhh - me too! I've been meaning to craft one up here for quite some time now. I have strawberry, and lemon cheesecakes (and LOVE them!), and I've got a nice recipe for a lemon raspberry one that I have yet to try (I think it's squonk's recipe...?)..........but I have yet to come across a recipe for blueberry, though I'm sure it could be done easily enough by swapping the fruit flavors with one of my other recipes.

So yes! I totally hear you on the procrastination-thing-a-ma-gig. I was going to start an online group for procrastinators...I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ba-dum-CHING! :sneaka:

**crickets**

:slowclap::facepalm: :wait:

LOL! ;):p:D

P.S. Thanks for tolerating my foolishness on your lovely blueberry custard thread, Deeks. :)

My main problem on the blueberry cheesecake is that the only cheesecake flavor I've found that doesn't contain diketones may be Lorann's, and I'm not 100% certain even of that one. Maybe FlavorArt? If anyone knows of a good cheesecake flavor that doesn't contain diketones, I'd dearly love to know.

Andria

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My main problem on the blueberry cheesecake is that the only cheesecake flavor I've found that doesn't contain diketones may be Lorann's, and I'm not 100% certain even of that one. Maybe FlavorArt? If anyone knows of a good cheesecake flavor that doesn't contain diketones, I'd dearly love to know.

Andria

Here's what I gathered from this webpage: http://vapable.com/about-diketones-diacetyl-acetyl-propionyl-and-acetoin/

"Capella – where Capella offer a V2 in a flavour, it will be a Diketone free version. This doesn’t necessarily mean that all of their other flavours contain Diketones – just that the V1 in that flavour did."

If this is true, then Capella's New York Cheesecake v2 ought to be free of diketones - and personally, I LOVE their NY Cheesecake v2! I hope this information is both accurate, and helpful. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here's what I gathered from this webpage: http://vapable.com/about-diketones-diacetyl-acetyl-propionyl-and-acetoin/

"Capella – where Capella offer a V2 in a flavour, it will be a Diketone free version. This doesn’t necessarily mean that all of their other flavours contain Diketones – just that the V1 in that flavour did."

If this is true, then Capella's New York Cheesecake v2 ought to be free of diketones - and personally, I LOVE their NY Cheesecake v2! I hope this information is both accurate, and helpful. :)

Ok, cool, it's worth trying at least -- their vanilla custard v2 isn't good, tastes really artificial, but I'll try the cheesecake and see how that one hits me. I've got their v1, and when I bought it I didn't know it had diketones -- checked it later and found that it does, so pft.

Andria

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ok, cool, it's worth trying at least -- their vanilla custard v2 isn't good, tastes really artificial, but I'll try the cheesecake and see how that one hits me. I've got their v1, and when I bought it I didn't know it had diketones -- checked it later and found that it does, so pft.

Andria

Yeahhhh, those pesky diketones! Seems like they can be really hard to avoid at times, and they're most prevalent in all the flavors I really really like! Go figure, eh?....pffft indeed! lol

You know, my first custard was CAP's Vanilla Custard v2, and I actually fell in love with it right from the get go - probably because I never had the v1. I've read lots of complaints about v2 from those who were used to v1, so it makes sense in that regard. I count myself lucky that I never had to go through loving it and losing it!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeahhhh, those pesky diketones! Seems like they can be really hard to avoid at times, and they're most prevalent in all the flavors I really really like! Go figure, eh?....pffft indeed! lol

You know, my first custard was CAP's Vanilla Custard v2, and I actually fell in love with it right from the get go - probably because I never had the v1. I've read lots of complaints about v2 from those who were used to v1, so it makes sense in that regard. I count myself lucky that I never had to go through loving it and losing it!

It's strange, but I mostly react very negatively to flavors that contain diketones -- one of the first flavors I ever acquired was CAP Cake Batter... and the smell of that flavor almost made me throw up, it's so horrible -- I had to keep it in its own ziplock in the cabinet or I couldn't even stand to open the cabinet, until I finally just threw it out -- if I can't stand the smell, I'd hate to think about the taste! :D Yet some really like that flavor.

I've never tasted CAP vanilla custard v1, just the V2, but as soon as I tasted it, all I could taste was ARTIFICIAL!!! in red-blinking foot-high letters. So I tried out TFA Vanilla Swirl, their diketone-free version of their vanilla custard, and I'm a GREAT deal happier with it; it doesn't have that ragingly artificial taste, and though it's a bit more vanilla than custard, that can be rectified just by adding a bit of TFA's DX Bavarian, to increase the custardy richness. Likewise, the DX Bavarian isn't that great on its own, you can taste the butyric acid which is pretty awful, if you go over 6% with the DX Bavarian... but if you add a bit of the Vanilla Swirl, you don't have to go so high on the percentage of DX Bavarian, and so avoid that nasty taste.

Andria

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It's strange, but I mostly react very negatively to flavors that contain diketones -- one of the first flavors I ever acquired was CAP Cake Batter... and the smell of that flavor almost made me throw up, it's so horrible -- I had to keep it in its own ziplock in the cabinet or I couldn't even stand to open the cabinet, until I finally just threw it out -- if I can't stand the smell, I'd hate to think about the taste! :D Yet some really like that flavor.

I've never tasted CAP vanilla custard v1, just the V2, but as soon as I tasted it, all I could taste was ARTIFICIAL!!! in red-blinking foot-high letters. So I tried out TFA Vanilla Swirl, their diketone-free version of their vanilla custard, and I'm a GREAT deal happier with it; it doesn't have that ragingly artificial taste, and though it's a bit more vanilla than custard, that can be rectified just by adding a bit of TFA's DX Bavarian, to increase the custardy richness. Likewise, the DX Bavarian isn't that great on its own, you can taste the butyric acid which is pretty awful, if you go over 6% with the DX Bavarian... but if you add a bit of the Vanilla Swirl, you don't have to go so high on the percentage of DX Bavarian, and so avoid that nasty taste.

Andria

Juice making is making chemists of us all! lol Not a bad thing, really - I always wanted to be a mad-scientist with my own little laboratory. ;) :idea::giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust is diketone free ... might be an option for you.

Ooooh yeah, that's good to know! thx! I love TFA flavors anyway! :) :) :)

Andria

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just mixed this up. Pretty damn good after sitting overnight. I'm going to let it sit for a few weeks and give it a try.

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Going to have to try this one too. Have loved Deek's ' Berry and Raspberry so gotta do this one too...
More flavors to get, of course. Thanks for this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I finally got around to mixing this a few days ago. Smells good, but I'm giving it 7 days before I try it.
If it's anywhere near your Golden Custard & your Raspberry Custard then it'll be a winner. :D

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well today marks four weeks exactly that I mixed this recipe. I'm sitting here just finishing the last of that small test batch. I'm glad I waited this long to report back, because that 8% Vanilla Custard really took it's time on this one. I'm happy to say that I consider this a "keeper". :D I was a little worried (even after almost 3 weeks) about whether this one was going to come around or not. lol. It was a little "muddy" at first (8 or 9 days in), with no real taste of blueberry. It also seemed a little bitter, but Bilberry always tastes like that to me initially. Then it started to smooth out after a little more than 2 weeks, with a hint of blueberry. Finally (4 weeks), it has "blossomed", and I get the blueberry & the cream cheese with more sweetness.

I commend you on a nice mix. This is the third custard recipe of yours I've had good luck with.:wave:

VU Sponsors