Delayed Reaction

Discussion in 'Unregulated (Mechanical) Mods' started by EdwinBetz, Jun 10, 2018.

1. EdwinBetz

EdwinBetz New Member ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I have been using my Ijoy Limitless RDTA mech mod and am having issues with delayed reaction time when firing.

I am running a .25 ohm build, Limitless Gold RDTA, and KFALO IMR 18650 3000mah 35A battery firing at 4.01v. I have taken apart and cleaned all contact points, including 510 pin on tank and +/- on . The mech is a hybrid and just started being hesitant in firing. I have checked and double checked resistance and discharge voltage.

Does anyone have any suggestions? When I checked the voltage, it was instantaneous when firing.

2. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Could be wire mass. Thicker wire takes more time to heat up

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  3. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    There is no 18650 3000 mah 35 amp battery.

it is at best maybe a 20 amp cell.

Get a VTC5A for best performance.

also output voltage from a mech means nothing unless measured under load.
    Especially with your iffy battery.

r055co, zephyr and Ralph_K like this.
  4. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Per Battery mooch's tests some 18650 cells marked 35A are only around 10 amp cells.

r055co and zephyr like this.
  5. jwill

jwill The Great King of Nothing VU Vendor VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    What coils are you using and what is the material of the coil? Sounds like you might be trying to heat a big mass and it takes a while.

6. EdwinBetz

EdwinBetz New Member ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I'm at work right now, but will check the coil type when I get home. Wire mass is sounding like the problem. If I'm remembering right they were pretty heavy coils. Didn't even think think about that being the problem. The more I think about it, the delayed firing started after I changed build, so that is most likely the issue.

Thanks guys!

7. Bigrick

Bigrick Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Hello Edwin. We met on ECF. I was recently gifted my first mech. Using my first build on it. Very satisfying. 24 AGW round wire 7 wraps. Ohms out at .35 on my Dead Rabbit. Again very satisfying med warm vape. And safe on my Samsung 25r. Vape safe my ftiend. May the force be with you.

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  8. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Don’t underestimate plain round wire for flavor/clouds, used to used FC’s exclusively on mechs until recently I have switched back to simple round wire.
    Anything you can do to lower the mass of the coil for the same resistance you are shooting for will help. If you are using kanthal try SS or nichrome round wire build; you can get by with a higher gauge/ smaller wire for the same resistance and near instant firing.

9. jwill

jwill The Great King of Nothing VU Vendor VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    This wire is fast becoming a favorite of mine.

If wrapped carefully you can avoid twisting it and when working out hot spots you can get more surface area in contact with the wick. I have also had good luck enhancing flavor by heating the wire with a butane torch while twisting a single strand of this square wire in a drill. It will also hammer almost completely flat without much effort making it very versatile.

10. Zohmbiebuilds

Zohmbiebuilds Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Shitty batteries and not well thought out builds can at minimum leave you with a cruddy vape and with the batteries your saying your using on a mech is the reason it's lagging. Shitty batteries don't have room in the vaping game. Stick to the three main companies lg Samsung Sony.

Ditch the kanthal build, after you get better batteries I suggest even Samsung 25rs. They last a long time there tanks. Not as good as the Sony but Cheap and good. Also, if it's seriously suffering from ramp up try ditching a wrap or two and build @2.5 ID not 3. Building for mechs I almost always do 2.5 id and 5or6 wraps

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

11. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    .25 ohms is on the high side for a mech. I recently got a THC Tauren 21700 mech using Phobia RDA with SS316L 3x28ga/36ga clapton wire 3mm id 5 wraps comes out to .14 ohms for dual coils. I don't think I'd want to build 2.5mm coils because I'd have to add a extra wrap so not to go too low plus wicks would be smaller. IMO you should try to build to the CDR of your battery with mechs

entropy1049 and zephyr like this.
  12. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Also not all batteries hit the same. A VTC5A will hit noticeably harder than a 25R.

r055co and zephyr like this.
  13. zephyr

zephyr Meg, the Dirty Pirate VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:

That brand sells batteries claiming 60a rating, I would get batteries with Tested specs before using in a mechanical at all

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    r055co and entropy1049 like this.
  14. r055co

r055co VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    #1 is to shit can those batteries and either get Sony VTC5a's or Samsung 20S batteries. No way in hell would I trust those batteries especially when they lie about the Amp and mAh ratings.

After that look at the wire mass.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk