Become a Patron!

Desire CUT Squonk 108W TC MOD

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the CUT Squonk 108W TC MOD from Desire Design. The Desire CUT Squonk 108W TC MOD was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristina from Desire Design.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/49.html

Introduction

This is the second of two squonking devices i have looked at from Desire Design the previous one being the Rage, a dual battery device with an interesting squonk bottle system. Here we have the Cut Squonk Mod, a single battery device with a standard squonk bottle but a very interesting shape, so lets have a look.

In the Box

Contents:

1x Desire Cut Squonk MOD
1x USB Cable
1x 18650 battery adapter
1x Manual
1x Warranty Card
2x Finish protector atty discs

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Cut Squonk Mod comes in cardboard packaging and once opened i find i have been sent the White version, it's also available in Yellow, Green, Purple, Black, Red and Blue, so many colour options. The device looks a very strange shape but on closer inspection all that's been done to get this strange shape is the back 2 corners have been very rounded then the front left corner has been cut (as in cut squonk mod) giving the device one diagonal side. This diagonal side sees a Black fire button in the shape of the Desire Design logo at the top and the - and + round Black buttons underneath. The shortened front of the device (due to the corner being cut) has a vertical elongated rectangular Black panel, this houses the 0.96" screen at the top, another 0.96" section near the bottom which houses a Desire Design logo that lights up and finally right at the bottom the micro USB port. The back of the device is the removable panel to allow access to bottle and battery, on the right rounded corner we have a cutout for pressing the bottle, the sides of this opening are nicely tapered. The opposite side to the diagonal cut side sees part of the back panel, notch for helping to remove the panel and "DESIRE DESIGN" deeply etched into the metal vertically. The top of the device towards one corner we have a Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The device is very solidly made but is heavier than the average single battery device, the cut corner design allows the device to be held and fired with the finger with great comfort.

Cut Squonk Mod Specs and Features:

Size: 86mm x 45mm x 33mm
Battery: Single 21700/18650 battery
Power range: 5-108W
Output current: 35A
Output voltage: 0.5-8V
Resistance range: 0.08ohm-3.0ohm
Temperature limit: 200-600℉
Screen: 0.96-inch
New CUT 108W-Chip
State breath display lamp
7ml large juice squonk bottle
Thread: 510 thread
Colours: Yellow, Green, Purple, White, Black, Red, Blue

The Squonk Bottle

The silicone bottle holds 7ml of liquid and is a standard squonk fitting bottle so you will have no problems finding a bottle for the device. The back panel (which also goes partly around the sides) can be easily removed with the help of a nice sized notch on the side. The Bottle and the fitting of it is straightforward, the bottle has a screw lid which has a tube that feeds through it. The top section of the tube protrudes out the top of the lid and the rest feeds underneath which goes inside the bottle. Once the bottle has been filled simply screw the lid back on and push the protruding tube onto the pipe in the device. You only get the 1 bottle which has to be a con as in my opinion squonk devices should include a spare bottle.

Fitting the Battery

The Cut Squonk Mod takes a single 21700, 20700 or 18650 with supplied adaptor. The same back panel which needs removing to get to the squonk bottle is the same panel you remove for fitting the battery, both battery and bottle compartments are very neat and tidy and both 21700 and 18650 with adaptor (the 2 batteries i tried) fit very well. The panel secures back into place with 2 very strong magnets and there is absolutely no movement whatsoever, but once again my pet hate, battery orientation is marked Black on Black.

Review Continues Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Using the Cut Squonk Mod

To turn the device on and off is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button and once on you are met by quite a bright screen but i have known brighter so could be difficult to read outside in sunshine, the display isn't a HD colour one but more of a simple organic one. Top left we have the battery status bar, centre top the Desire Design logo and top right we have the word "cut" displayed. Bottom left we have the amps which can be changed to puffs and bottom right we have the resistance. The centre of the screen displays a circle and inside that circle we have the current mode displayed centre top, underneath we have the watts or temperature when in temp control, finally we have volts which displays watts instead when in temp control. The - and + buttons pressed together locks and unlocks the navigational buttons but the device will still fire, then there is a lot of use of the fire and - buttons together to change certain things. When you enter the menu and the mode is flashing pressing the - button now causes the amps to flash and by pressing the + button you can alter between amps and puffs. When in wattage mode pressing the fire and - buttons resets the puffs and when in temp control pressing the fire and - allows you to set wattage. Pressing the fire button 3 times causes the mode you are in to flash, now if you press the + button it changes mode with each press, the options are VW, TC Ni, TC Ti, TC SS, TCR M1 and PMG which stands for Power something graph (custom curve). A very simple device to navigate around and use with the only other feature being to do with the lighting up of the Desire Design logo.

attachment.php

The Desire Design LED

On the device below the screen we have a 0.96" section underneath the Black panel that houses the Desire Design logo. Behind this is an LED which lights the logo up a pale Blue colour. When first switched on it stays on solid for a while then starts pulsing every few seconds. If you are not a fan of LED's pressing the fire button 4 times turns the LED on and off.

My Experience with the Cut Squonk Mod

I will start by stating i do not use temp control and have no equipment to get factual data so simply review a product as a personal experience. Most devices fire and ramp up quickly these days but the ramp up on the Cut is instant, very impressive. The device was a joy to use, navigating the device so simple, squonks really well with no leaking and the cut corner design works great ergonomically. Because of the cut corner design atty's over 25mm will overhang but really when i get to the cons list most are petty as there'e nothing to really complain about, i found it to be a very good device. Obviously if running this towards the top end of it's wattage make sure you are using an high drain battery and also because it will take 20700 or 21700 (as well as 18650 with adaptor) you can get very good battery life. The device is firmware upgradeable.

pros

Very good build quality
Sturdy device
Cut corner design gives good ergonomics
Aesthetically pleasing (subjective)
Standard squonk bottle
Can use 21700, 20700 or 18650 battery
Simple to navigate
Nice organic screen layout
Design lights up (can be turned off)
Temp control
Set wattage for temp control
Custom Curve
Suffered no leaking
Good battery life
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Black on Black orientation
Atty's over 25mm will overhang
Only one bottle included
Display could be a bit brighter (being very petty)
Heavier than the average single battery device

I would once again like to thank Kristina from Desire Design for supplying the CUT Squonk 108W TC MOD for the purpose of this review.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/49.html

VU Sponsors