Become a Patron!

Desperately Seeking Satisfaction

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys! Ok, so I'm in a bit of a pickle here. A few weeks back I bought my second-ever setup: a Kangertech 60W Topbox Nano TC. My first setup was an eLeaf iStick 30W with an Aspire Nautilus Mini tank, which was fine (I really liked it), but it was starting to die, so I knew I had to replace it. I came across a killer deal for the Topbox Nano (I think it was around $35 Canadian?), so I decided to give it a try, rather than buying straight-up replacements of my original gear.

I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of working with batteries that I had to charge externally, but I decided to do some research on safe battery handling, and I dove right in. I think I was just so floored by the good deal on the Topbox that I couldn't pass it up! (...and the fact that it's metallic lilac *might* have had a bit of an influence on me as well. ;) lol)

But NOW...*sigh*...now I have bones to pick. I have a 1.5 ohm SSOCC coil in it, and usually have it set anywhere between 14W and 16W. The batteries only seem to last me around 4 to 6 hours before I have to throw them back on the charger (Nitecore Intellicharger new i2). I charge them to full capacity, and then drain them down to almost dead, without ever actually letting them die while in use - is that a bad thing? Should I be using them til "death"?

Also, it goes through e-liquid insanely fast, I find. On my old setup, set between 11W and 13W a 10 ml bottle would last me 2 days, but now I'm going through a whole bottle a day most days. I make my own liquid, consistently each time, so I know that's probably not playing a factor in the increased usage I'm seeing.

Lastly, the Topbox has changed the way I vape: I was always a mouth to lung hitter, and now I seem to have to use the DL approach, otherwise I don't feel like I'm getting a hit off the thing, if that makes sense. When I take a draw, it feels as if there's too much resistance, even with the airflow wide open. I mostly end up feeling like I'm hauling on air, even though it does produce pretty decent amounts of vapor.

Ugh. I just don't know what to do. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Topbox Nano, as far as liquid consumption and battery drain go? Or airflow? Should I go back to a battery-housed unit? Should I run back to Aspire's welcoming arms? lol

Comments/advice welcome. :)

Ideally, I'd love a battery-housed unit that only needs charging once a day or every other day, and has a decent tank capacity, with adjustable airflow and wattage. Suggestions if you happen to have a fave like this...?

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You didn't list what batteries you ended up with so I can't comment on them but;
The efficiency of the Kangertech Topbox is very poor to start with so that is certainly one thing that'll shorten battery life.
The fact you are running at a higher wattage will also shorten it.
To only get 4-6 hours is an entirely different story.
I vape at 100 watts and I can still get just shy of a day out of a pair of 18650s.
Not sure what resistance you were using before but that'll also play a part.
As for juice consumption, the difference in coils certainly will change the amount of juice you go through.
Unfortunately I don't vape the same way you do (I usually go through about 45ml/day) so I cannot provide suggestions but there are many in here that can.
I'm guessing you didn't end up with high grade batteries however that is simply speculation.
For how you're vaping you could easily go with Samsung 25R or LG HE2 or Samsung 30Q.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just throw another Nautilus on the new box...
Your usage and draw have nothing to do with the box, but with the tank (airflow) and coil (resistance, etc).

You do NOT need to run battery down low - in fact, frequent "partial" (back to full even though it's not that low) charging will increase the overall battery life...

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey, @Paratech - thanks for your response!

Dangit, you're right - I *did* forget to list the batteries - thought I had - oopsie! I got a pair of Samsung INR18650 25R 2500mAh, 20A batteries, and I use one as I charge the other so I always have a fully fueled cell on hand.

I really am astounded at the difference in performance between the two setups I've owned - like night and day, really. I used to run the iStick/Nautilus Mini setup with a 1.6 or 1.8 ohm Aspire Nautilus BVC coil, most often between 11W and 13W.

45 mls/day? Wowzas! I'm going to guess you must be dripping. ;) I only ever tried dripping once, and it was my introduction to vaping - I was at a vape shop the next day, I loved the flavor so much. Instantly hooked. And thank GOD, cause it squashed at 27-year smoking habit just like that. :stars:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, @Paratech - thanks for your response!

Dangit, you're right - I *did* forget to list the batteries - thought I had - oopsie! I got a pair of Samsung INR18650 25R 2500mAh, 20A batteries, and I use one as I charge the other so I always have a fully fueled cell on hand.

I really am astounded at the difference in performance between the two setups I've owned - like night and day, really. I used to run the iStick/Nautilus Mini setup with a 1.6 or 1.8 ohm Aspire Nautilus BVC coil, most often between 11W and 13W.

45 mls/day? Wowzas! I'm going to guess you must be dripping. ;) I only ever tried dripping once, and it was my introduction to vaping - I was at a vape shop the next day, I loved the flavor so much. Instantly hooked. And thank GOD, cause it squashed at 27-year smoking habit just like that. :stars:
I agree with Train put your Aspire Nautilus Mini tank on it and vape the way you were before.
Your 25Rs should last you much longer than 4-6 hours.
Not dripping but vaping at 0.1Ω mostly.
Tried dripping, I think I am too lazy for it.
I prefer RTA or RDTA.
You smoked 1 year longer than I did.
Switched in 2011 and have been damn happy ever since.
But try your old tank on your new mod and see how it goes.

Origin Vape

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You are right for taking your battery out before it is ready. That is generally the way I kept my HG2 cells working nonstop for over a year. 6 hours seems reasonable, considering your wattage is pretty low and resistance high.

Although I haven't used the Topbox, I know Kanger has been trying with their newest gear. They took a bit of a hit with some of their products last year not being super popular.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your batteries are fine as far as load requirements for what youre vaping but you can get batteries with larger capacity like the LG Hg2 batteries..They are 3000 mah and are plenty enough amps to handle your style of vaping...Actually you could get away with some 10 to 15 amp batteries with near 3500 mah as long as you mind your power and ohms used.

I agree with maybe going back to the Nautilus and just using it on your new mod.

The Nautilus holds more ejuice than the subtank in any case so this is also causing you to fill more often but it certainly is a juice hog as most subohm style tanks are.

I still have a Nautilus tank but ive gotten away from buying pre built coils as I feel its too costly in general but keep in mind the subtank coils are rebuildable should you wish to learn to do so and you can use the older style subtank coils as well with it.

The kanger mod is fine for what youre needing out of a vape, especially at lower power ranges.

Just my thoughts.

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks, @Train and @Paratech - my daughter took my Nautilus/iStick combo before it died completely (which it since has) but just the battery...I think. I'll have to get it back to test and see what type of difference it makes, because what you're all saying makes good sense. I'll surely miss the ease of top-filling though, let me tell ya! lol

Paratech, I feel so much better since I quit smoking as well - it's been 1 year, 3 months, and 3 days according to my signature stamp here - woohoo! :D I don't think I'd have the patience for dripping either. ;)
Cheers!! :thanks:

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FYI - I am almost 100% now a "Squonker". It's like dripping, but without having to drip!
Could never get the consistency I wanted (or the flavor, really - but that's gotten better) building/wicking for tanks.
small-p67set.jpg

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You are right for taking your battery out before it is ready. That is generally the way I kept my HG2 cells working nonstop for over a year. 6 hours seems reasonable, considering your wattage is pretty low and resistance high.

Although I haven't used the Topbox, I know Kanger has been trying with their newest gear. They took a bit of a hit with some of their products last year not being super popular.

Phew! Glad to hear I've been doing something right with these batteries. lol It's a darn shame the ones I have aren't longer-lasting though. I really wasn't sure *what* to get when I was ordering my kit - I did it all online, so I had to kind of give myself a crash-course: Batteries for Vaping for Dummies 101. :question: lol

The HG2s are LG brand, 3000 mAh, 20A, no? I almost bought those instead, but I read that the market's crawling with counterfeits, so I wanted to wait until I knew of a reliable source of authentic cells in Canada before I bought them. Will they add much on to the daily charge-span over and above with Samsung's 25R, 2500 mAh, 20A model, I wonder?

As far as Kanger's duds go from last year, do you know what products ought to be avoided? I'm considering buying another built-in/all-in-one system and don't want to end up with a dud, of course.

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Your batteries are fine as far as load requirements for what youre vaping but you can get batteries with larger capacity like the LG Hg2 batteries..They are 3000 mah and are plenty enough amps to handle your style of vaping...Actually you could get away with some 10 to 15 amp batteries with near 3500 mah as long as you mind your power and ohms used.

I agree with maybe going back to the Nautilus and just using it on your new mod.

The Nautilus holds more ejuice than the subtank in any case so this is also causing you to fill more often but it certainly is a juice hog as most subohm style tanks are.

I still have a Nautilus tank but ive gotten away from buying pre built coils as I feel its too costly in general but keep in mind the subtank coils are rebuildable should you wish to learn to do so and you can use the older style subtank coils as well with it.

The kanger mod is fine for what youre needing out of a vape, especially at lower power ranges.

Just my thoughts.

Ahhh, yes - because the lower the amperage rating on the battery, the longer the battery will *live*, hence the increased mAh, am I right? lol Still trying to wrap my head around all this new-to-me battery business...taking it slow so I don't make any fatally stupid mistakes! ;)

Glad I'm finding out now how much of a "juice hog" some of these tanks can be as well - live and learn. ;) The Nautilus Mini sure is conservative by comparison.

Thank you for your thoughts - much appreciated! :D

Alice in Vaporland

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
FYI - I am almost 100% now a "Squonker". It's like dripping, but without having to drip!
Could never get the consistency I wanted (or the flavor, really - but that's gotten better) building/wicking for tanks.
View attachment 75026

"Squonker" ... "Squonking" - LOL What funny terms! I've seen them around here and there, but I've yet to look it up for definitive meaning. Now I feel compelled to do so....lol :D

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
"Squonker" ... "Squonking" - LOL What funny terms! I've seen them around here and there, but I've yet to look it up for definitive meaning. Now I feel compelled to do so....lol :D
I think it's a term coined by vapers for the sound the bottle makes when it's squeezed, LOL. Thinking about it.... sqUONK! Seems right :D

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, @Train and @Paratech - my daughter took my Nautilus/iStick combo before it died completely (which it since has) but just the battery...I think. I'll have to get it back to test and see what type of difference it makes, because what you're all saying makes good sense. I'll surely miss the ease of top-filling though, let me tell ya! lol

Paratech, I feel so much better since I quit smoking as well - it's been 1 year, 3 months, and 3 days according to my signature stamp here - woohoo! :D I don't think I'd have the patience for dripping either. ;)
Cheers!! :thanks:

If you like the top fill (and I personally hate bottom fill) you can get a Triton mini, takes Nauti coils, or the new Nautilus 2 just coming out. Compatible with the existing Nauti coils and top fill. 2 ml max though, same as the minis.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ahhh, yes - because the lower the amperage rating on the battery, the longer the battery will *live*, hence the increased mAh, am I right? lol Still trying to wrap my head around all this new-to-me battery business...taking it slow so I don't make any fatally stupid mistakes! ;)

Glad I'm finding out now how much of a "juice hog" some of these tanks can be as well - live and learn. ;) The Nautilus Mini sure is conservative by comparison.

Thank you for your thoughts - much appreciated! :D
That's correct..More capacity or mah means less amperage handling but at 16 watts you are within the limits of a 10 to 15 amp battery with a high ohm load like the 1.5 ohm coils...The LG H2 will supply more amperage for more power handling but wont last as long throughout the day.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I'd just vape until the battery is too weak then swap. I've done that without problem on all my mods for as long as I've had replaceable batteries. LiOn batteries don't have memory and really only care about cycles, how may times they are charged/discharged.
If you can get your old tank back, give it a shot. You were happy with it then, it'll likely make you happy now.
If not, I'd take a look at the Nautilus 2. Looks to be a great Naut, though in 2ml capacity. If you did that, stay with the higher resistance coils, easier on both battery and juice consumption.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Istick and nautilus mini is a hard setup to beat in my eyes, bit late posting on this one but I just thought I'd share :)
I've been using an ipower with a triton mini and it is a very good setup, I use the same 1.8 coils that came with the nautilus so it vapes just how I want it too. The battery is 5000mah so vaping at 12/13 watts you get at least two days out of it, probably more if your not a chain vaper! Definitely recommend this setup

VU Sponsors