Become a Patron!

Diabetes & Vaping

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey everyone, I have a question I need to ask. I've been a type II diabetic for a few years now, & recently something came up that has caused ALOT of concerns to my little wifey....I've noticed my blood sugar numbers going through the roof a few times, & she suspects my vaping is causing it. I make my own juices, never more than 3mg nic, and I make all my flavors at 50/50 PG/VG.

I would consider myself a chain vapor, I'll usually hit my mod for about 10 minutes before I put it down, & will switch between my favorite flavors during that time, which is Rocket Puppy's RY4 Double, a Blueberry Cheesecake flavor, & some Grant's Custard Clone. Those are my go to flavors for 99% of the time. For the past few days, when I checked my sugar, the numbers have been in the high 300's to middle 400's.

Now I'm not a big eater at all anymore, but I do try to eat decent meals, my wife makes sure of that. The only other thing I could think of is I'm on alot of other medications for heart, & blood pressure, & diabetes. I am on the needle, been on it for about 5 years now, for my insulin needs. Vaping helped me get off of cigs, and I have never regretted it. I'm a dripper, since I'm a flavor junkie, and I use 2 Fuhattan mods with a Vulcan RDA, & a quad box with Vulcans.

The Vulcans are my only RDA, I just fell in love with them a couple of years ago, & have not been able to find a suitable replacement. I buy all of my PG/VG from a reputable vendor on Amazon, & the nic I use is always from Vapers Tek LLC. So, I guess my question is, is my wife correct in that the PG/VG is causing my numbers to blow off the chart? I would ask my doctor, but she has never been very concerned about vaping, just that I got off of cigs with it. I really do not want to quit vaping, I've found my sweet spot with my mods, and my coils, which I make at .35 to .45.

I'm basically needing to find out if anyone has ever heard or read about anything with PG/VG, & if it can cause this issue. This whole thing about my sugar being off the chart with my vaping has caused a few arguments between us, & a few times, I've found myself at the local flower shop buying an apology for the wife. It's never gotten harsh or violent, I just don't do that, but I despise arguing with my baby, so I try to change the subject, or politely disagree with her.

So that's it, that's the only issue I wanted to bring up this morning, and I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me find the answer. Hope everyone has a great day..:)

Dan Simpson
Dayton, Ohio

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you taking any kind of steroids for any reason? Steroids will elevate blood sugar. And what brands of flavoring are you using? Flavor West does use sugar in some of theirs.
Just random suggestions, as I've never heard of vaping causing problems with diabetes, but that certainly doesn't mean it couldn't.

ablepharous

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been vaping only for over 3 years and my long term levels / short term results so no sign that vaping causes any spike in sugar levels. I use a sweeter juice "Sweet Tooth" and still no issues.

I am no dr but these are just my results form my personal experience.

immafool

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
my dad had the same issue... i believe VG vaporizes into sugar... he now orders his juice at 40/60 VG/PG, and hasn't seen a spike in his BS.
but that being said, my sister who is also diabetic, is a chain vaper, cloud chaser who loves the high vg juices but does not see any type of spike in BS.. so i guess Vg affects people differently...

i'd suggest trying a 40/60 VG/PG mix and see how that goes... mind you PG will give more of a throat hit and the juice will be thinner (not as viscous). good luck!

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you taking any kind of steroids for any reason? Steroids will elevate blood sugar. And what brands of flavoring are you using? Flavor West does use sugar in some of theirs.
Just random suggestions, as I've never heard of vaping causing problems with diabetes, but that certainly doesn't mean it couldn't.
When my wife gets up, I'll ask her if I'm taking any steroids for anything. She fills all of my medicine containers, I've got so many meds, it's sometimes hard to remember what I'm taking and for what...lol

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When my wife gets up, I'll ask her if I'm taking any steroids for anything. She fills all of my medicine containers, I've got so many meds, it's sometimes hard to remember what I'm taking and for what...lol
Poor fella, I hate that anyone is in that situation....so very grateful for the good health I tend to take for granted....

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rather than asking medical questions here, I strongly urge you to get to your doctor ASAP.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rather than asking medical questions here, I strongly urge you to get to your doctor ASAP.
I second this.

Just a note: Nicotine does increase blood glucose. Numerous studies performed. If your blood sugar is off the chart you may want to get some labwork performed. Infection and illness does raise blood sugar levels as well. However, do note you should be seeking medical advice from your medical advisor (doctor, nurse, etc). Good luck!
http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/p...-in-diabetes-complications-among-smokers.html

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some juices can raise my blood sugars in 4 hours like I ate about 15 carbs. And yes, higher VG usually raises my BS too. Some juices almost does nothing at all. Before vaping, I didn't eat a lot of carbs per day (maybe 50ish) and I had taken 10 units of regular and 20 units of NPH daily. Since I started vaping almost two years ago, I had to increase my insulin about 20% for the ones that increase my BS in my individual case, your mileage may vary.

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Not always a good option when it comes to vaping. Doctors tend to be very mixed on if they know anything or even approve of vaping in general. I've seen some doctors look at it as a good thing, and want to learn more about it to educate their patients, and I've seen doctors who claim it's worse than smoking.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not an expert on diabetics, but you change your PG/VG ratio and see if it has any effect.
Also try to change your sweetener, you could try Sucralose, Stevia, EM or a combination of them.
You could also try cut back on the amout of e-liquid you use, since too much of anything is not good for you, especially if you have a medical condition.

It's also possible that your problem has nothing to do with vaping and it's just a matter of your wife trying to blame it on something she doesn't understand.

Leelee1269

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ecigs-vaping-and-diabetes.html
https://vapingwithdee.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/vaping-and-diabetes-eng-version/
diabetics-vaping-vape

The1only1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have glucose meter at home? You can do your own test prior and after 10 minutes of chain vaping.

VU Sponsors