Become a Patron!

Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl, and Acetoin in Flavorings

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you take the bottle and shake it then hold it up against a light the cheaper liquids will show an oily substance in them. I believe that is the diacetyl. Only cheap brands seem to have it ie ones I bought at the gas station or online for ridiculously cheap

I did get a lung infection once from what I believe was el-cheap-0 ejuice. Now i try to buy ejuice that is clear with no color only. I really dont know how bad it is for you but even so, it cannot be as bad as cigarettes

OMG you serious lol. That is an oil based flavoring which are super bad for you. The highest amount of ap or dacetyl I know of is 5 pawns at 2500ppm which is .25% hardly something you would see. Also dacetyl readly breaks down in juice and as far as i know it won't separate.

There are more than 2,000 substances used in flavoring manufacturing. The FDA regulates flavorings to ensure they are safe when eaten. Many flavorings have been in longstanding use and are classified by the FDA as "Generally Recognized as Safe" (GRAS) to eat. Thus far, the FDA does not require testing for other routes of exposure, such as inhalation. Though with new regulations, this will change in time.

Some flavoring manufacturers are using alternative substances for diacetyl in formulating flavorings. These compounds are acetoin and acetyl propionyl. Like diacetyl, these are 'GRAS' substances that are approved for use in food. Their chemical structures are very similar to diacetyl and have been found to be equally as harmful for inhalation.

Thanks for gathering the resources. Good info for all vapers to know so we can make educated choices of what we put into our bodies.

BUT....at the risk of sounding a bit cynical....

Most of us that use vapor products are doing so instead of using tobacco products. I have to say that I see some level of hypocrisy from former tobacco users/current vapor users regarding the dangers of D,A,AP,BA.
Whereas I don't think you would find much BA in tobacco, the use of the other flavorings is prevalent in the mfg of tobacco products and typically in MUCH higher concentrations than what we are exposed to in the food flavorings used for e-liquids. Mostly as there is no combustion taking place with vapor products.

So, my point is. Former tobacco users didn't have a problem with the contents of their tobacco while using it, but now they are suddenly concerned about what is in their e-juice? Millions of reported tobacco use related deaths and it didn't seem to bother the smokers. Now one guy in a popcorn factory inhales raw diacetyl on a daily basis and needs a lung transplant, and everybody is screaming like they just discovered the air they breathe is a carcinogen.

Granted I am all for an industry leaving out a possible health risk if it can be left out. Thus far, some of the flavor mfg's are doing just that. But even BA has associated health risks as it keeps diacetyl in suspension for prolonged periods which means that if a e-juice mfg has a flavor with diacetyl in it along with BA then the present diacetyl stays active longer. Not good. So even the mfg's that would appear to operate under full disclosure probably aren't really, and are only doing what they think is required to meet some ethical standard so they don't end up with egg on their faces.

The truth of the matter is, unless you take your favorite store bought e-juice to an independent lab and have it tested, there is absolutely NO guarantee that what you are vaping is D,A,AP,BA free.
Did anybody watch the interview with Pip from Suicide Bunny? The entire time she spoke she was looking to her left.... Am I the only one here that knows what that is a possible indicator of? Body language doesn't lie. Methinks Pip does.

It is in this area, and this area alone where there needs to be (insert your national regulatory commission's name here) regulations governing what can and can't be used in e-liquids that are sold for consumption. The DIY e-liquid peeps can do what they want. But to outright ban flavors because they show risk when used in an unintended manner is ridiculous. That is like banning fire so people can't smoke.
Or because one guy bought a cast iron skillet and beat his own head in with it....LETS BAN CAST IRON SKILLETS!

Put that on your dripper and vape it.

"Life is hard, being stupid makes it harder."
John Wayne

Last edited:

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for gathering the resources. Good info for all vapers to know so we can make educated choices of what we put into our bodies.

BUT....at the risk of sounding a bit cynical....

Most of us that use vapor products are doing so instead of using tobacco products. I have to say that I see some level of hypocrisy from former tobacco users/current vapor users regarding the dangers of D,A,AP,BA.
Whereas I don't think you would find much BA in tobacco, the use of the other flavorings is prevalent in the mfg of tobacco products and typically in MUCH higher concentrations than what we are exposed to in the food flavorings used for e-liquids. Mostly as there is no combustion taking place with vapor products.

So, my point is. Former tobacco users didn't have a problem with the contents of their tobacco while using it, but now they are suddenly concerned about what is in their e-juice? Millions of reported tobacco use related deaths and it didn't seem to bother the smokers. Now one guy in a popcorn factory inhales raw diacetyl on a daily basis and needs a lung transplant, and everybody is screaming like they just discovered the air they breathe is a carcinogen.

Granted I am all for an industry leaving out a possible health risk if it can be left out. Thus far, some of the flavor mfg's are doing just that. But even BA has associated health risks as it keeps diacetyl in suspension for prolonged periods which means that if a e-juice mfg has a flavor with diacetyl in it along with BA then the present diacetyl stays active longer. Not good. So even the mfg's that would appear to operate under full disclosure probably aren't really, and are only doing what they think is required to meet some ethical standard so they don't end up with egg on their faces.

The truth of the matter is, unless you take your favorite store bought e-juice to an independent lab and have it tested, there is absolutely NO guarantee that what you are vaping is D,A,AP,BA free.
Did anybody watch the interview with Pip from Suicide Bunny? The entire time she spoke she was looking to her left.... Am I the only one here that knows what that is a possible indicator of? Body language doesn't lie. Methinks Pip does.

It is in this area, and this area alone where there needs to be (insert your national regulatory commission's name here) regulations governing what can and can't be used in e-liquids that are sold for consumption. The DIY e-liquid peeps can do what they want. But to outright ban flavors because they show risk when used in an unintended manner is ridiculous. That is like banning fire so people can't smoke.
Or because one guy bought a cast iron skillet and beat his own head in with it....LETS BAN CAST IRON SKILLETS!

Put that on your dripper and vape it.

"Life is hard, being stupid makes it harder."
John Wayne
Bloddy love this lol great comment!
Im with u on the smokers dint cere so why now but one thing you gota remember is vapours vaped to do it in a healthier fashion.
But hell il vape custard with diktones cuz as tou say its in cigs iv moved to vape to do it more of a healthy way but now i enjoy vaping when cigs i dint lol
Also like to add that guy in a popcorn factory was probably inhaling diktones all day through his 8hr shift with every single breath he takes? No vapour could do that lol

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
The 'real' stats from my knowledge, haven't been attempted yet. Other than a Pub Med paper measuring blood serum nic levels before and after. Which ended up proving '2nd hand vape nic' is a non-issue

True test would be to analyse equal amounts of vapour. One from a simulated puff, and one from a subjects lungs. The 'delta' would show what is actually entering the body (and staying there)

Stuff you are exhaling shouldn't count toward 'safe ppm' limits

As for the GRAS label, given by our lovely governments.... most of those are non-tested but never had substantial complaints lodged against them. Companies have generally been given free reign in the past. FDA / Health Canada rarely, if ever, tests things proactively. HC hasn't tested one thing regarding vaping to date, and most likely never will.

Mike O

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I pay no mind to any of that stuff. One thing is I'm not convinced in the spotty reporting and the integrity of the findings on them. I'm not sacrificing the tastes of my juices for nobody. I choose the juice that taste good to me and don't give it another thought (not even a little bit). I smoked for over 40 years and know the vape I'm inhaling is a hell of a lot safer than cigarettes even with the dikes. Butric Acid isn't going to stay under the radar for long either. Pretty soon that one will get tagged as not safe and then they will move on to the next one and the next one until they deem everything in juice as unsafe. It's coming people, get ready for it. Every cigarette I smoked had over 700 times the amount of diacytl than in vaping. Am I worried about that? Nope. I just vape my juice baddies and all, and I'll tell you, it tastes pretty damn good.

Mike O

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's always amazing to me on what people end up taking as fact that started out as conjecture. The study that was done is over a decade old and the best it could do was using terms as "inconclusive", "most likely", etc. The facts are that cigarettes contain 400-700 times more diaceyl than vaping yet there is not one reported case of anyone ever getting popcorn lung from either cigarettes or vaping. Not one. Yet posts will always continue to pop up like, "don't vape juices with diacetyl or you'll get popcorn lung". If you vape, do your own research instead of listening to Joe who was told by Fred who was told by Bob who was told by Jim who was told by Clyde who was told by Santa Clause before he started vaping. If anyone says putting anything into your lungs besides air is safe, then they are idiots. Hell even sucking air is not 100% safe, heh. The term is "safer than cigarettes", that's it period, and it sure doesn't have anything to do with if your juice has some diacetyl, acetyl propionyl or acetoin in it. Frankly if anyone is that worried about it then I don't know why the hell they are vaping to begin with.

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Or you could remove all doubt & just use flavorings that are tested in vapor form for toxicity on human cells & which provide detailed scientific results like this. It'd be great if we had that on all the flavorings we inhale, but only FlavourArt does this testing. (click the thumbnail for an example or look up FA flavors here: http://www.clearstreamonward.com/home-en/).
Just sayin'.
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 7.56.35 AM.png

VU Sponsors