Diacetyl No Longer A Threat?

Discussion in 'Reddit Rewind' started by snozzberries, Jun 22, 2014.

1. snozzberries

snozzberries VU Moderator VU Vendor VU Vendor Employee New Member

Blog Posts:
  2. st_andrew

st_andrew Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I don't think they are saying that. They are saying "more research needed"

3. GargoyleK1

GargoyleK1 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    It is most assuredly a threat… My wife did a lot of research on that particular compound a while back.. (she loves to research things btw) And I can assure you it is a threat. I personally would't want anything to do with it in any way.

Just saying…. :)

TStorms likes this.
  4. snozzberries

Blog Posts:
    This suggests that previous claims of a significant exposure-response relationship between diacetyl inhalation and respiratory disease in food/flavoring workers were confounded, because none of the investigations considered or quantified the non-occupational diacetyl exposure from cigarette smoke, yet all of the cohorts evaluated had considerable smoking histories.

we also intake much less diacetyl vaping than cigarette smokers. Obviously more studies need to be done, but it seems that the amount we intake is negligible to our health due to low doses.

5. Mr.Mann

Mr.Mann Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I don't know. I get what that report laid out, but I have not actually seen how much any one diacetyl-containing liquid actually has. Of course they will all have varying levels (and some will have the diacetyl-like chemicals), but what is to be made of those seemingly insignificant levels when we have our friends in the cloud-chasing community consuming copious amounts all at once, and throughout the day? Once again, I don't know. It's surely a better read than to see something that could only serve to add fuel to the anti's fire, but I still remain skeptical when considering vaping gives us, practically, carte blance with the amount of liquid (and flavoring) that we consume. I know people that vape these flavors by the 10s of mL per day. My hope is that it turns out exactly to be as that study seems to suggest: an issue specific to smoking + further exposure.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Pegasus Vape and Wulfy27 like this.
  6. snozzberries

Blog Posts:
    i agree completely

7. downInTn

downInTn Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I'm willing to bet most* of us vapers have considerable smoking histories also, I know I do. So... this changes nothing as far as I'm concerned.

8. snozzberries

Blog Posts:
    i dont think what change how much diacetyl would be absorbed though, obviously im not a scientist so I could be wrong.

9. Joshua McCord

Joshua McCord Founding Vendor Founding Vendor VU Vendor New Member

Blog Posts:
    Way I see it, if you're cutting out 100% of inhaled diacetyl you have to stop cooking with butter and never go to the movies. Seems unrealistic - you're going to inhale some amount of the stuff no matter what. The question is how much before it's a problem.

It's the buttery popcorn e-liquid and all the custards that are going to have the most. Your average blueberry vape shouldn't really have any. If you're really concerned about limiting your exposure to it, maybe stay away from buttery flavors. If you're not concerned - well, we're all adults. We probably all have a history of putting not-so-healthy things in our bodies. There's worse things you could do than vape some delicious creamy caramel. I certainly enjoy it.

But I personally wouldn't make it my all day vape.

10. hitman4274

hitman4274 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I vape the hell outta Diacetyl, there is only one account of a everyday use ever dealing with popcorn lung, and he ate some crazy amount of microwaved popcorn a day, every day... I think it like a minimum of 2 bags a day.. this went on for years until he was effected. Has to be better than cigs either way...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

11. Uber300

Uber300 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I love Diacetyl, w/o Diamorphine would not be possible, I'm joking of course, or am I? muhahahahaha!

12. Lefty

Lefty Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Probably you shouldn't vape diacetyl heavy juices while smoking.:)

Wulfy27 likes this.
  13. LoveVanilla

LoveVanilla Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Well sure, I vape diacetyl laced juices continuously, ride a Harley without a helmet, engage in copious amounts of unprotected sex, base jump, free climb in the Grand Tetons, and thinking about skydiving without a parachute. We all die of something -- but at least the latter involve less suffering.

Mr.Mann likes this.
  14. DuckysVapeReviews

DuckysVapeReviews Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    How can you consider ANYTHING LIKE THIS NEGLIGIBLE WHEN IT IS IN FACT HAZARDOUS AND CAN BE DONE WITHOUT! 94.89% of ALL VAPERS are former smokers as well. If something can be done away with and isnt needed why keep using it?

15. itsmenotyou

itsmenotyou Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Lol some people get butthurt by what others do.
    If i want to vape some buttery vape someone telling me not to aint gonna make me stop. If you ain't comfertable with it then don't use them flavors. Better yet you should probably just use NET flavors to make sure you avoid them.

Bean8379 likes this.
  16. DuckysVapeReviews

Blog Posts:
    I personally think a label on the bottle/website stating it contains it is cool, just dont hide it. This way people will/can decide for themselves.

Pegasus Vape likes this.
  17. Time

Time Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    It is not "in fact" a hazard. There is not one single study or case that claims that any diketone is hazardous in vaping.

Putting lies in caps does not magically make them true. ;)

Bean8379, Jayvon633 and Teresa P like this.
  18. itsmenotyou

itsmenotyou Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I agree about it being printed on the bottle. But how many people are willing to lose business by telling the truth? Not to many that i know of.
    If d/a/ap is such a big problem and health risk companys would refuse to use it out of fear of being sued.
    On top of that don't "most" juices say "contains chemicals know to the state of kommiforina to cause cancer?"

Bean8379 likes this.
  19. DuckysVapeReviews

Blog Posts:
    Medical Center Of Plano and UT Southwest Arlington have both published proof that it is in fact harmful, but does not compare at all with dangers of smoking. Their words not mine. This is one of those subjects where every bit of proof provided on one side another can be provided for the opposite. This is modern science where they warp the varibles to produced desired outcome. This has been proven over and over. Just like 2 1/2 yrs ago all these FACTS were reported that ALL eliquids contained antifreeze and couldnt be produced without it. Just post on the label/site the liquids contain it if they do and we can all agree to disagree.

20. DuckysVapeReviews

Blog Posts:
    And that is another reason the FDA is stepping in. This is why there are VERY FEW liquids. I am willing to buy. I do ask all I sample liquids for what all is in it. I have tried liquids with and without and to me, not really a HUGE difference.

21. Time

Blog Posts:
    Links please. I discuss this quite often and have never seen any proof. If you can show it to me, I'd appreciate it.

22. DuckysVapeReviews

Blog Posts:
    I will shoot em to ya when I get home. At a local b&m helping with upcoming cloud comp and local vape fair right now. I swear, for a shop they aint very vape savy

23. Time

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.

24. Time

Blog Posts:
    I learn something new. Turns out that we all, at least the majority of us, make our own diacetyl and breath it all day.

http://bionews-tx.com/news/2014/05/...ne-device-for-new-cystic-fibrosis-diagnostic/

During the interview, Dr. Whiteson detailed the scientific process that led to her discovery of the molecule. She explained how diacetyl is produced by microbes in the mouths of the majority of people, but people with cystic fibrosis have higher concentrations in their breath.

Interesting.

25. DuckysVapeReviews

Blog Posts:
    I think thats what UT is basing their info off of. Txted step mom to ask for links and she said one article was in Medical Journal so dunno what their link is but shes searching for it now. She the one who showed them to me. I think companies can make 2 versions of the liquids one with one without and they can rake in the cash from both sides lol.

Would you believe this shop manager actually thought since a 26650 is larger in physical size it has more amps, volts, etc? Had to pull out my smpl, 0.25 rda and vtc 4 and spank his 26650 2four clone to make him understand.

Pegasus Vape likes this.
  26. Time

Blog Posts:
    But it doesn't say that diacetyl is harming them. They are just wanting to detect higher levels of diacetyl in the breath of these patients for an early warning for infection. The infection is harmful, not the diacetyl at those levels in those people with cystic fibrosis. They don't get popcorn lung. The rest of us breathing the diacetyl in our breathe aren't getting popcorn lung. Only people that smoke and work in popcorn factories get popcorn lung, aside from one dude that sniffed a whole lot of microwave popcorn. People that smoke diacetyl in their cigs don't get popcorn lung. Not once. I don't see how vaping diacetyl is any different unless if you also worked in a popcorn factory.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015