Become a Patron!

Did I do my Subox rba correctly?

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys. Wanted some input if possible. Quick lil story. Had my .5 coil in and decided to clean it and let it dry for a few days. Decided to try the 1.5 coil and did not like it so i took it and decided to do the rba. Did everything the pamphlet said. I've been using it since last night. Hitting it pretty hard on different watts too see what's best. Now my question. How would I know if I did it right as far as putting it together. Did the cotton and primed and let sit for half hour to soak. How would I know if this short circuited or will short circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well firstly there are a bunch of YouTube tutorials out there showing you how to build an rba deck. As for the shorting, as long as everything is screwed down properly and you haven't gone under .04 ohm you will be fine. If you're using the coils in the actual box it came in you'll be fine. Don't use to much cotton, more isn't always better. The more cotton you have the harder it is for the cotton to wick and absorb properly. I believe on YouTube that "RipTrippers" has an rba deck build video. Just look for "rba deck build" and find one, but rip trippers vid is how I learnt.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your mod will tell you if it's shorted. Since you are beginning rebuilding, get an Ohmmeter. When you get other toppers to build on, it's a great piece of equipment to ensure your builds are safe and within the limits of the device's resistance floor.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My mod is reading .5. The coil that came with it read .6 which is close enough. I assume when reading on mod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're good to go. With the subtank rba, when it gets hots the ohms tend to fluctuate a little. Don't worry about it though. It's normal. Mine does it, everyone's does. It's a break-in period

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't use to much cotton just what I saw on pamphlet but when I look on YouTube. These people look like there using a lot of cotton. Not sure but it's hitting fine. So I just wanted to make sure I did it right

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All that matters is it's hitting fine.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're good to go. With the subtank rba, when it gets hots the ohms tend to fluctuate a little. Don't worry about it though. It's normal. Mine does it, everyone's does. It's a break-in period
Check the positive pin that screws into and secures the positive block on your rba head to make sure it's properly tightened. If you worked out the hot spots after you installed the coil, there will be no break in period. The ohms on my subtank mini never fluctuate. Occ's or rba heads.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's read. Everything seems right. I did notice something last night which I'm not sure is normal or might be. When I was using the .5 coil that came in tank. I found 24 watts to be a nice cloud and flavor hit. So when I did the rba. I noticed at 24 watts the tank was warm and the tip was hot. So I lowered to 22.5 watts. Seems a little better now as far as heat. But flavor not as pronounced and vape not as thick. Is best way I can explain. But not terrible

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The new .5 heads use a parallel vertical coil. Probably more surface area than the coil you installed in the rba. Also the vertical coil is sort of insulated by the cotton because of the way it's made. Probably transfers less heat to the device.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I don't know what I did. But I changed juice in the tank that had the rba I put I. Cut wood unicorn milk. And I couldn't find a good spot to stay. All of a sudden started tasting burnt so when I came home I cleaned the coil in hot water let it sit. And put in the .5 coil that came in tank. Now I get vapor a lil burnt taste and not too much flavor. Now sure what the heck I did wrong

MrGrimR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It maybe the juice. Go back to the RBA and rewick it and use the same juice. I you get the same burnt hit change the juice and rewick it again and see if you get a burnt taste. Trial and error.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I got a coolfire 4 last night with a Atlantis 2. I put the same cut wood juice in the coolfire with a new coil and got same disgusting taste that my Subox was getting. So I put a new coil in my Subox mini and same taste so I'm going to go with the juice sucks in my atomizers. I think

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait, you never tried anything other then one flavor flav?

How many watts do you have it on?

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I got my Subox. I tried 3 different flavors with no issues. I started having issues as soon as I put in the cuttwood. Now my coolfire today for first time I put in the cuttwood and right away I got nasty flavor. Now with my coolfire. I put in a raspberry flavor and I can taste my Atlantis 2 clearing itself out slowly. The taste isn't as bad but I can get a little taste of the raspberry. So I'm waiting to clear out the Atlantis.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My coolfire I had at 20 and 30 watts. My Subox I found the sweet spot at 24 watts. Which was I was vaping on with other 3 flavors

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fantastic information, this is really helpful. My roomies 30w istick is at the same setting as well with long lasting coils and good battery life

I had an RBA deck get the case of the dumb ass on me after two...these new occ coils are really good and building a clapton coil or something else would be totally doable.

Give it a go, i have faith in ya : )

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Now as far as both mods flavors tasting like ass. The kanger sub and the Atlantis 2. Same nasty flavor. Can I chuck that up to juice or mod

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's the juice dude. Then again, are you properly priming you coils. Don't just fill up the tank and start hitting, you gotta put a little juice in the actual coil then let it sit for a min then fill your tank up and put it all together and again, let it sit for at least 10-15 before vaping.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I did all that

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I actually wait about almost 45-60 min

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's starting to clear up. But not 100%. Not sure how long before it's good again

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How long does it usually take to clean out the nasty flavor

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could take 10 vapes too 100 depends on the juice. That's a question that can't really be answered.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just switched juice to see if it would help. And nope. Did not

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I switched to the beard no.32

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sound clean up soon.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey bro, that Cuttwood is a really heavy vg based juice. If memory serves me, it's around 90% vg. It's made mostly for drippers. There's nothing wrong with the juice, it's just too thick for most subohm tanks out there.

If you've gotten a burnt taste out of a coil using that juice you're probably better served changing the coil and switching to a thinner juice. Be careful not to get too thin though as that will promote leaking.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea. That makes sense. I changed both coils on both tanks. All good now. Wasted money for nothing on cuttwood. But since it's for dripping not Juice fault. Just sales kid. Lol gave me wrong info.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very true. It's not wasted money though if you have an rda. That is some really awesome juice when it's used right. Truly amazing flavor!

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I tested it at store it was on a istick30 with a sub ohm tank. The tank look like shit. And I got it cuz it tasted great.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Which subohm tank did ya try it on though? There are some subohm tanks that can keep up with high wattage/heavy vg vaping like the arctic. The Arctic and close variants have huge juice flow holes that work pretty good with heavy vg based juices. Also some really high ohm coils ran at low wattages don't do too bad when they've been sitting in a shop all day soaking wet.

There's a learning curve with everything out there. But at the same time, almost every piece of hardware can be tweaked to where itcan give a ssatisfying vape in one situation or another. For instance, I'm an avid bourbon drinker and like a restrictive draw on my vapes when I'm enjoying a good bourbon. So I go with the older Billow v1. But, I still love the massive air flow of the Troll rda at times too.

Once you get a little experience under your belt, you'll find what juice you like in which atty and on which mod. The thing is, like twisted420 says, it doesn't matter what your vaping on... as long as you're not on the stinkies!

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It looked like a isub. My kanger is just the Kbox mini and the sub mini tank. My crossfire has a aspire Atlantis 2 and they both had the .5 coil. The shitty taste was same In both tanks. That's y I was like wtf is going on. I changed coils in both tanks. Now they seem like both there to the better taste

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not familiar with the isub tank, but I do have the subtank mini. Those arctic coils I was talking about have elongated slots for juice flow rather than round holes. Those slots allow for much faster juice flow which is what allows the arctic to be ran up 100 watts (with the .2 ohm coils that is).

Of course, it is possible that you got ahold of a couple of dud coil heads too. That possibility is basically why I stick with rda's for the most part. Either way, I doubt that you've done anything wrong.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used the coils that came with the sub tank mini. I switched juices and I now I cleaned coils and have no issues with my mini or my Atlantis. So I'm gunna say no good on cuttwood for me

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do ya not have an rda?

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No rda. I'm not a dripper yet

andy17s

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yah some juices are just not that great. Unlike a juice vender I found on this forum. It's Hermetic Steam. It is the best juice I have ever had, and I've had me some many many juices. And not only are they all amazing but there is a while bunch to choose from. I really recommend checking out their website. That goes for anyone reading this. Hermeticsteam.com amazing juice at great prices!! Do yourself a favour and get some, you will not regret it!!

VU Sponsors