Become a Patron!

Did I get some sort of Kangertech prototype coil?

Kleinman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a Kangertech Subox w/ Subtank Mini kit. It is authentic!
The coil in it has been lasting for ever. Like going on 3 weeks.

My original Subtank mini (also legit) seems to go through a coil every 2 days.
I must add they are both .5ohm coils and I use the same juice in both. (ITC vapes Spoon Licker V2 30PG/70VG)

So I decided to investigate. Here is what I came up with:
x6g22h.jpg

The black Subtank Mini had a massive juice hole compared to the standard horizontal .5ohm OCC coils.
The Stainless on is one that I constantly have to replace coils for.

Whats the deal, why is this one lasting so long and why are the juice holes so big?

Attachments

• Subtanks.PNG
    Subtanks.PNG
    191.8 KB · Views: 15

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I cant answer why one is lasting longer but the newer subtank has the larger juice holes to cater to better wicking and especially on higher vg juices.

The only up to date new coil i know of from kanger are the new kanger vertical coils which may or may not be what is in your black tank.

cjk081293

Member For 4 Years
If it's the stock coil that came in that tank I'm pretty sure that's the difference between the horizontal and vertical coils. The vertical coils have the bigger juice holes but I've never actually used or seen the old horizontal coils to compare to.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Weird. My first Subtank Mini coil lasted forever. It was the horizontal coil version. I got like 12 tanks before flavor started to diminish. I actually rinsed it with water and let it dry for several days and got another 5 or so tanks out of it. Sounds like I could get a month out of the new heads.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
The difference is you have the original horizontal coil in the stainless and the newer vertical coils with larger juice ports in the black

The horizontal coils can last weeks, but you usually need to take a pin to the cotton and open it up some to let the juice flow better.
I would do this when it was new, the usually 2 weeks later, then after another few days change coils.

The vertical coils do not seem to need the pin trick, but they may. Ive only used one for about 2 tanks, and then started building my own coils and using my maganus again.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i found its the new vertical coils that need one push pin thru one juice hole. compare the cotton packing between the horizontal, and the vertical. the vertical is very tightly packed against the walls of the holder. When I poke a push pin thru new verticals, its almost as much force as pushing thru a 3x5 card. My stock horizontal that came with my sub mini lasted for a few weeks too.

VU Sponsors