Become a Patron!

Did I purchase the wrong RDA?

samed23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got a freakshow mini and the flavor is pretty intense, but I have to think there's something better out there. I'm out of town working, and I've made friends with an employee at a B&M store here in town. (Letting people try juice that their store doesn't carry, creates friendship everytime!) ;)

Anyways, he suggested that I get a Mutation X V3. He threw in a twisted build for free. Dual 26g, 2.5mm ID, and 7 wraps. I think it came out to .2 ohms. It tasted like pure doo doo. I figured it was the machine oil so I cleaned it a couple of times and and have put several different builds in it and I'm still not happy.

So I'm wondering, can a MutationX V3 produce great flavor? Suggestions, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated! I have 150 watts to play with, so power is not an issue.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mutation x sucks for flavor imo. In fact mutation x is the worst of my rdas and i have a bunch. I recommend doge v2 really good on flavor and chucks clouds with the best of em.

samed23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright I gave it the ole boil and soak in alcohol treatment this afternoon. A lot of the bad flavor was machine oil. <<<------Dumb noob over here :).

I did another twisted build tonight and the flavor wasn't too bad. I'm thinking there may be potential here. I'll keep trying different builds, watts, air flows and coil positionings. Hopefully I'll find something I like.

I just wanted to see if others have had any luck.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe that Atty is geared more towards clouds than flavor. You can probably tweak the build to maximize the flavor output, but chances are it won't be as flavorful as the reduced chamber atties like the fs mini, derringer, etc.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have the v3 with a 26g parallel coil. Great flavor. The flavor is nothing like a plume veil or anything. Close the airflow to one row of holes. Flavor explodes for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Big chamber + air holes = high vapor.
Small chamber + air holes = high flavor.
Mutation X has a big chamber, you can close the air holes for better flavor, but it will never be as good as a dedicated flavor RDA with a small chamber.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 150 watts to play with, so power is not an issue.

High power doesn't equate to better flavor. You may perceive more flavor with more clouds, but that's really mostly due to the massive amount of juice you are consuming.

If you want to mess around with a flavor atty that still can get you nice cloudage, I would recommend a Magma RDA clone. You should be able to grab these for less than $15, and the airflow options will give you enough room to experiment with different builds and draws.

montijo505

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My doge v2 wide open is a lot better than my MV3 wide open with same build and juice! Really it's personal preference. Won't get much better than that freak mini or a derringer

samed23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@KKen I know power doesn't equate to flavor but I've I had people suggest different builds before and I couldn't use them because my mod wouldn't fire that low. That's what I was getting at. :)

@montijo505 Ya I really like my FS mini but it's so small for some coil builds. That's why I purchased the MX V3. At the very least, it's something to play around with.

@pjerzy I put a 5 wrap 26g parallel in last night and it wasn't too bad.

Speaking of cloudage, I must be in the minority. I don't like big clouds, I want small clouds. Personally, it draws too much attention to me. Also, I travel a lot and I'm always afraid that I'm going to set off the fire alarm in the hotel.

Here's another flavor/cloud question. I've always heard that a smaller inside diameter is better for flavor and bigger diameter is better for clouds. Is there any truth to that?

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@KKen I know power doesn't equate to flavor but I've I had people suggest different builds before and I couldn't use them because my mod wouldn't fire that low. That's what I was getting at. :)

@montijo505 Ya I really like my FS mini but it's so small for some coil builds. That's why I purchased the MX V3. At the very least, it's something to play around with.

@pjerzy I put a 5 wrap 26g parallel in last night and it wasn't too bad.

Speaking of cloudage, I must be in the minority. I don't like big clouds, I want small clouds. Personally, it draws too much attention to me. Also, I travel a lot and I'm always afraid that I'm going to set off the fire alarm in the hotel.

Here's another flavor/cloud question. I've always heard that a smaller inside diameter is better for flavor and bigger diameter is better for clouds. Is there any truth to that?
yes

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My doge v2 wide open is a lot better than my MV3 wide open with same build and juice! Really it's personal preference. Won't get much better than that freak mini or a derringer

Doge v2 is all around superior to mx v3 imo. Better air and flavor. Only thing mx v3 might have better is the double positive post holes but i dont mind using the 3 post design for dual or even quad coiling plus sleepers are more even in 3 post.
Just did a dual 7 wrap 30g triple parallel that came out to .33ohm on the mx v3 that kinda made it shine at high volts on the hexohm v2 so in all fairness different builds work better on dif attys the mx v3 seems to kick best on parallels for me. Also i use it without drip tip and that helps with flavor a lot.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I guess the easiest question to ask then, do you inhale directly into your lungs, or vape like you probably did a cigarette, mouth to lung?

If it’s the latter, then you are chasing the wrong type of RDA IMO; if an RDA is actually what you are really after. You mentioned you travel a lot, so I assume you probably want something pocket friendly, easy to charge/use and leak resistant.

Is your preference with rebuilding, or pre-built coil, or doesn’t matter?

As for your reference to inside diameter, I assume you are referring to coils correct? If yes, then yes, smaller diameter coils generally produce more flavor. Easy way to check is wrap two coils at different diameters while keeping the same resistance and you will notice a difference right away.

samed23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess the easiest question to ask then, do you inhale directly into your lungs, or vape like you probably did a cigarette, mouth to lung?

If it’s the latter, then you are chasing the wrong type of RDA IMO; if an RDA is actually what you are really after. You mentioned you travel a lot, so I assume you probably want something pocket friendly, easy to charge/use and leak resistant.

Is your preference with rebuilding, or pre-built coil, or doesn’t matter?

As for your reference to inside diameter, I assume you are referring to coils correct? If yes, then yes, smaller diameter coils generally produce more flavor. Easy way to check is wrap two coils at different diameters while keeping the same resistance and you will notice a difference right away.

1. Direct lung hits

2. At first, I didn't want drip because it seemed like such a hassle, but once I got used to it, it's not as bad as I thought. I can't see myself ever using prebuilt coils again. Making my own is significantly cheaper and I can build to my liking

3. That's interesting. I've never thought about wrapping two coils at different ID's with the same resistance. I try that in my spare time.

2buildawall

Member For 4 Years
I believe another big part to getting good flavor is the location of your coils. I have a small chamber atty that I could not get good flavor from. I moved the coils where they belong in front of the air intake holes and bam! Totally different experience with great flavor. May be common sense but it took me some fiddling around to get there.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My buddy has a mutation x v3 on a sigelei 150. The flavor is pretty damn good when it's set up right. Here's his. Dual coils, 24g, 6 1/2 wraps, 3mm diameter, 1 1/2 rows of air holes open, somewhere between 55-70 watts. 26g seems just a bit too thin for optimal performance unless you're doing something fancy like using twisted wires. I'd get some 24g and use standard, single wire contact coils for finding a benchmark build. With that much power there's no reason to use thin'ish wire with an rda. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The optional Pyrex Glass bell might make a difference.

cutevape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mutation x sucks for flavor imo. In fact mutation x is the worst of my rdas and i have a bunch. I recommend doge v2 really good on flavor and chucks clouds with the best of em.
Ahh mutation x bought a new rda airhole time,and no wonder the vapor of it is pretty huge all the time.And I heared that indulgence mutation x v4 possess a pretty good flavor with their huge vapor.So maybe you can try their new version :)

cutevape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've got a freakshow mini and the flavor is pretty intense, but I have to think there's something better out there. I'm out of town working, and I've made friends with an employee at a B&M store here in town. (Letting people try juice that their store doesn't carry, creates friendship everytime!) ;)

Anyways, he suggested that I get a Mutation X V3. He threw in a twisted build for free. Dual 26g, 2.5mm ID, and 7 wraps. I think it came out to .2 ohms. It tasted like pure doo doo. I figured it was the machine oil so I cleaned it a couple of times and and have put several different builds in it and I'm still not happy.

So I'm wondering, can a MutationX V3 produce great flavor? Suggestions, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated! I have 150 watts to play with, so power is not an issue.
I pretty sure that v4 has great flavor,and much better than freakshow haha

J.B.

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Smaller, or reduced chamber RDA's equal better flavor every time, there's no way around it. I've tried nearly 100 different RDA's and put tons of builds on various RDA's and the smaller RDA's ALWAYS outperform the larger RDA's in regards to flavor. Smaller chamber equals higher concentration of heat and vapor, which equates to, you guessed it, flavor.

What I mean by smaller RDA vs larger RDA is along the lines of the Hobo vs the Dark Horse. Or the Derringer vs the Mephisto. (Just examples)

The absolute best, and I mean best RDA I have tried to date (for flavor) is the Hobo v2.1. Better than the Plume Veil, better than the Veritas, better than the Magma, etc. PS - It can chuck with the best of them too.

The two atty's you have are geared towards clouds and cloud chasing. Grab a Hobo v2.1 or a Derringer, throw on a basic dual 24g build (6-7 wraps per 2-2.4mm ID), and thank me later.

Good luck!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have had my V3 a while. It takes a pretty intense coil for me to get anything close to satisfying flavor. Like the gentleman (presumably) mentioned above i usually close the air almost all the way off as well. I love building on that atty, but if you care at all about flavor it can be a challenging rda to deal with. Not an impossible mission, just more difficult than other drippers

leave one diag row of air open and use a quick heating wire like gplat or anarchist, a drip tip with a slender hole will give you a less airy hit and help. i go for around a 7 wrap 22g nichrome

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
leave one diag row of air open and use a quick heating wire like gplat or anarchist, a drip tip with a slender hole will give you a less airy hit and help. i go for around a 7 wrap 22g nichrome
See the drip tip advice, it makes one build and one atty be masterful on flavor, or clouds. I find specifically, old version Kayfun lite drip tips stacked on the wide delrin one to produce great flavor. For some reason, stacking on top of the delrin drip tip gives superior flavor than with the adapter. The key is the drip tip, and three holes on each side, too. I'm running .4 duals 26ga 3mm 45-60 watts. Identical build, huge delrin drip tip, clouds, but no warmth or flavor. Add that kayfun tip, now you have flavor.

I went from Kayfuns exclusively for quite a while, to Mutations, I have a Magma, too. I get best flavor and performance out of the Mutation. It handles more power than the Magma, too. Though I bet different builds could change that.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Darringer puts out terrific flavor. But you can get great flavor from the Mutation, you just have to go for around a .5 to .9 build, and close off some holes. Any rda can be good for flavor. But some are designed specifically for clouds, so you need higher resistance and a bit less airflow. I am getting beautiful flavor out of my DogeX v1 right now with dual 10 wrap 26ga Chromel-c coils. And 8 wrap coils in my Lycan. Both are built mostly for clouds. But I don't let it stop me.

injunear59

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try the Vulcan. Great flavors not,much for any clouds I'm running 26 g. Twisted about 10 wraps .5 build.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Troll rda is superior to mx3 imo and the deck is identical. Actually the air options are similar too. Better flavor, more vapor, for me anyway.
I use thinner wires all the time on rdas. Parallel or triple parallel = morr surface area = faster ramp up than thicker gauges = more vapor/flavor.
Ill use 22g on my doge, but on other decks i like me some 24, 26 or even 28g wire.
I find 30g is only good if you do like quad twisted wire or wrap them over something with a drill though.

samed23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everybody! Like some of you said, coil placement is a HUGE deal on the MX v3. It seems to be a very fine line on producing good flavor and a very muted flavor. I may try to trade my v3 or sell it. I have heard really good things about the v4 and at a ~$30.00 price point I may pick one up.

See the drip tip advice, it makes one build and one atty be masterful on flavor, or clouds. I find specifically, old version Kayfun lite drip tips stacked on the wide delrin one to produce great flavor. For some reason, stacking on top of the delrin drip tip gives superior flavor than with the adapter. The key is the drip tip, and three holes on each side, too. I'm running .4 duals 26ga 3mm 45-60 watts. Identical build, huge delrin drip tip, clouds, but no warmth or flavor. Add that kayfun tip, now you have flavor.

I went from Kayfuns exclusively for quite a while, to Mutations, I have a Magma, too. I get best flavor and performance out of the Mutation. It handles more power than the Magma, too. Though I bet different builds could change that.

yes!!!! Haha if I'm wanting to go flavor-crazy I stick the tip from my KFL on my hobo v2.1 , that lil pin hole really can bring out the flavor :)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
yes!!!! Haha if I'm wanting to go flavor-crazy I stick the tip from my KFL on my hobo v2.1 , that lil pin hole really can bring out the flavor :)
Yup... I almost tossed mine, they suck with kayfuns, but stacked on an RDA, it's like magic. It's the little things sometimes.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks everybody! Like some of you said, coil placement is a HUGE deal on the MX v3. It seems to be a very fine line on producing good flavor and a very muted flavor. I may try to trade my v3 or sell it. I have heard really good things about the v4 and at a ~$30.00 price point I may pick one up.
I have a black Magma clone in great shape I'd trade you for your Mutation X V3. I got it from @Vash, and it's just been collecting dust. Not my style. If you want flavor, it's a good one. PM me if you're interested.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If it's flavor your after forget about drippers and get a genisis atty.

JerryC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What is your PG/VG mixture? VG=Clouds PG=Flavor. If you are using a high VG your flavor will be muted. Flavor is also very subjective, for me I like a 50/50 PG/VG. Gives me good flavor on my Mutation X V3.

dionysuskiss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been looking at The Zorro. Good price for an atty. Nice small chamber, and has a chuff cap. I like chuff caps. They allow me to reduce the airflow for flavor, without the vape getting too hot. Only downside is there is no single coil option.

J.B.

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have had my V3 a while. It takes a pretty intense coil for me to get anything close to satisfying flavor. Like the gentleman (presumably) mentioned above i usually close the air almost all the way off as well. I love building on that atty, but if you care at all about flavor it can be a challenging rda to deal with. Not an impossible mission, just more difficult than other drippers
No disrespect intended but the v3 isn't even in the same in league as the v2.1. It's a considerable step down to be honest. I bought one because I love the v2.1 and I sold it in a week. Hobo customs screwed the pooch with that one!

J.B.

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it's flavor your after forget about drippers and get a genisis atty.
Gennies are meh. They're a complete pain in the ass to build and the entire concept of them is just ridiculous. Hey, let's try to fight gravity......

IMHO of course.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No disrespect intended but the v3 isn't even in the same in league as the v2.1. It's a considerable step down to be honest. I bought one because I love the v2.1 and I sold it in a week. Hobo customs screwed the pooch with that one!
Mutation X v3 lol :p

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gennies are meh. They're a complete pain in the ass to build and the entire concept of them is just ridiculous. Hey, let's try to fight gravity......

IMHO of course.

Yep, that's your opinion...and then lots and lots of very experinced vapers who vape nothing but gennys for their superior flavor and they can build a wick that works

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

IMHO of course.

You are not fighting gravity, mesh works in Capillary action.
If you use cotton, then you are fighting gravity, as well as a big sacrifice in clean flavor.

Yeah, they can be a pain to learn, but once you get it, you get it.

dionysuskiss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've discovered another good option, since I last posted. The Velocity. Although, not a small atty, it produces amazing flavor, with plenty of vapor as well. Easiest thing I ever built on, too.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I gave away my Mutation X after buying a FS Mini, the flavor just wasn't comparable. The FS is a pain to install the coils on and runs hot with the stock cap. Not to mention only one in 10 drip tips will work well with it. Getting the available FS chuff cap changed everything for me. Runs cooler and more space for bigger coils (before claptons would short against the top of the stock top cap). Way easier to drip too without any seeping.

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have several RDA's and the patriot is definitely great on flavor, but believe it or not I always seem to come back to my Igo-W with a simple single micro coil. Sometimes simpler is better.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Actually running a 0.8 ohm single 24 gauge in my FS Mini right now on a iStick 100 W. It's my all day vape set up.

I have a SnapDragon by Eden mods it has crazy flavor. Also have been rocking a Immortalizer V2 that has silly flavor. I have a Mutation X v4 right now with a 44/26 2 core N80 Clapton that puts out both flavor and volume. I have 2 hobos a 2.1 and a 3 that I rock Ti on my TC devices that rock. Dont rule out the Tug Boat V1 its a solid balance atty.

cutevape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
yep,v4 is very good,you should pick one lol

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't hate my Mutation Mini, but to be honest, it has been sitting since I git the Velocity clone. It has been super easy for a novice like me to build, it doesn't leak, and the flavor and/or vapor options are awesome! With just a simple 28g twisted twin build I can get a ton of flavor, chuck clouds, or a little bit of both...

cutevape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Don't hate my Mutation Mini, but to be honest, it has been sitting since I git the Velocity clone. It has been super easy for a novice like me to build, it doesn't leak, and the flavor and/or vapor options are awesome! With just a simple 28g twisted twin build I can get a ton of flavor, chuck clouds, or a little bit of both...
I trid mutation mini,love it lol .Frankly I think mutation x v4 is better than velocity,both the vapor and flavor.And in fact clone quality can't be controlled.Authentic is much better :)

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My best atty for flavor is the APO. That said I have a freakshow mini and hate it. Never use it. The deck is but awful to build on. Now I can set up my twisted messes for great flavor and get good clouds. My BAAL gives me decent flavor. Both are easy builds. I use my mutation x v4 too on an 18350 nemesis for kicks - it surprises people. Both flavor and clouds are okay by me.
I have to say his. I'm not a fan of the wotofo RDAs - they are so many better ones. And I rarely use clones (only my BAAL is a clone) because generally they are just not as well put together. I'll pay the 60-100 dollars for authentics over a cheap clone that breaks down on me.

VU Sponsors