Become a Patron!

Difference between DNA200 and DNA250 besides watts

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HI,

There are some websites that list a few improved features of the DNA 250. For instance the biggest one being "Better temp control regulation with SS coils" plus better efficiency,more robust fusing Etc. Nothing huge.

A long time ago I spoke with Brandon at Evolv. He informed me the only difference is 50 more watts, a higher amp fuse(of course) and .3 extra volts to be able to obtain the higher wattage. Of course reverse polarity protection was added as well.

Are these websites that state the above pulling things out of a hat? Or perhaps Brandon was not actually aware(which would be unusual). As far as custom mods go you can get either one. Usually the 250 is only $10 more. As far as production mods of course they are all 250 now, the latest and greatest. However the only ones I know of are 3x18650 and not Lipo. Pretty much all the custom mods are strictly Lipo. Both boards were built for Lipo. These companies adapted them to 18650's. At least they added reverse polarity protection since these companies are doing this. With Lipo that is not a feature that matters unless someone is an idiot or makes a bad mistake.

I have multiple DNA 200 and 250 mods. They vape exactly the same to me. With all materials. They have exactly the same features in Escribe.

I am just wondering if there is actually a performance/feature difference in the 250, other than wattage. Or if these websites got that information from an unreliable source and spread it amongst eachother?

The truth about this was just of interest to me. I personally think they are the same other than increased power.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I forgot that. There are improvements. What I was wondering is if there is a supposed improvement in the regulation, temp control Etc. Things that would make for a better vape. Evolv admits to everything I mentioned as well as you. Otherwise they say the engine is the same. Can anyone tell a difference? I can't. Even if there was a small difference they are so good it would be unnoticeable most likely. It would have to be a pretty big difference. I have a feeling they will be coming out with a large color screen like the 75. They still may not improve the vape. Since there is little room for improvement to begin with. If it ain't broken don't fix it. As far as I can tell they are functionally the same. Really only two things that are going to matter. Reverse polarity if 18650's and 2Amp if Lipo. I don't vape near that but on a custom mod for $10 the 2Amp is absolutely worth it. Still, I experience no difference in functionality. I just wanted to know if in fact there is. Just to satisfy my curiosity since I can tell no difference. If the 250 option was $100 i would not get it. For the usual $10 the 2Amp matters. That's all. I do not think the board fares well with 18650's but Afaik all the production mods are.

Anyways either one is my favorite board by a longshot. With Lipo's the 2A is a big deal though. Can't believe I forgot the only thing that matters to me Lol.

Actually I just found out that my batteries will have a greatly reduced life with the 250. I like small mods like 900-1000MAH. Lipo's should be charged at 1C. so those batteries should only be charged at 1Amp. I do not know if the 250 is smart enough to limit it to 1A. It takes a while so perhaps they do. Or the manufatcurer fits them with a !A charge board. If they built it correctly. With a Lipo you need at least 200MAH to charge at 2A without greatly reducing the life of the battery or causing venting. on the other hand if someone wants ahuge mod a 5000MAH battery would take forever to charge at 2A. The modders do offer them. I see why all of the production ones are 18650 now. However Lipo's are just far superior chemistry. Vapor Shark is the only one I know of with a Lipo. Not sure how many MAH it is. They are a legit company so if it is small which it looks it should be charging at !A. So after all this does not matter anyways. Turns out, as I mentioned the only thing that mattered to me. Go figure. a 900MAH battery at 2A is charging way to fast.I am sure somehow they have limited it to 1A. which would explain why I do not see it charging rapidly faster now that I think about it. The issue is Lipo's are even bigger than 3x18650 if they are above 1300MAH. The 5000MAG units the modders offer are absolutely huge. Think like a cinder block. I think 1300MAH is the biggest most people would want. That still has to charge at 1A. For all I know the Vapor shark actually charges at !a regardless of what they say. I do not know this of course. So to answer my own question there is probably no difference in the Two boards in my case. There may be in yours though. Ahh, very interesting. I just realized Vapor Shark does not state the MAH. Just 3 Cell Lipo is the only info. Checked other sites. If they did it correctly it is in fact charging at 1A or they are risking the battery. It looks too small to be 2000MAH. Either way they have lied. Very interesting. It is best to charge batteries properly,Duh. So to me either board is fine since I rarely go over 100 Watts.

Also, they quote Brandon from Evolv as saying it has better Temp control.He informed me it did not. Very strange. nonetheless I realize no difference whatsoever. It may be there but to subtle for many people to notice. Again, to me either board is fine. I am not throwing out my 200 mods. They apparently have discontinued the 200 but on their site you can still order it. Other sites say a lot of things including quoting Brandon but you cannot believe everything you read on the internet Lol. It is not like people are misquoted on an hourly bases. If it is true it hardly matters.Not at all in fact. To me at least. Ymmv..

On that note I just ordered a Graphene battery. That is the same MAH but should magically run longer and take less time to charge. I shall see.

Sorry for run on post!

Last edited:

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The software is the same and lipos charge at 2 amp just fine. Passthru vaping is far worse for the cells than 2 amp charging.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read from multiple Lipo manufactures 1C per 1000MAH or you will damage them. I would rather heed the manufacturers advice but that is just me. YMMV.

I wonder what is set on the VS DNA250. Just curious.

I do not know about he better regulation and do not experience it. I am not throwing out my 200 mods. They are both absolutely great.. At rarely over 100W either is fine by me. If the 250 vaped vastely superior it would be a different story for me. Then I would invest in more 250 boxes. I currently have more 200 boxes. I think I will wait for a color screen which seems inevitable.

Well, no one could answer the regulation. I doubt it is different. I do not know where those websites get information that they quote Brandon. Everyone is exactly the same verbiage so it seems fishy in fact.

I am happy either way. I never order a custom with Yihi. They are good but not DNA IMO. We do not need to get into that debate LOL.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am sure they just misquoted Brandon. It is not like you can believe everything you read on the Internet. There are differences but not in performance under 200 Watts IMO. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Especially since he told me so. On a custom the $10 for 250 is worth it regardless. Still, the 200 is absolutely fine. I use both but not because of the extra 50 watts. I rarely get over 120.

That is good news though. I have some I need to update.

VapeNMirrors

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, 250 > 200 and it's their best. Until their next best. Save $10 on one, spend on the other or wait. Rinse, repeat.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't say "best". Flagship perhaps. 50 more Watts, Some useful features. Functionally the same AFAIK. I mean for actual vaping performance. Everything is the same in Escribe. The 200 does everything and anything the 250 does in regard to vaping. I would recommend to certainly spend the $10 on a $600+ mod. It will most certainly make it easier to sell when it is worth $1,000+ LOL. As you know, when a mod is gone everyone wants it. Supply and demand. The 250 will be what people are looking for though I am sure.Production mods should all be 250 now as well. Unless the 200 is dirt cheap I would get the 250 in that instance too. Not because it is "better", just because it is the latest product. Since it is going to fall apart it is doubtful anyone will be making a profit on that though.

What I am looking forward to is the possibility of the 75's color screen. Just for the cool factor. I bet they will do that. I could be wrong of course. With current technology there is little else to improve. If one is quick, that should make the resale of custom mods more desirable. Until the market is flooded with them. Still, winning lotteries Etc. is going to get you something other people do not have and will sell their right foot for. Funny at this end of the spectrum vaping became a commodity. Anyways, for $10 I would say it is in anyone's best interest that is in that game. BTW, before anyone PM's me I do not currently have anything for sale! I decided to rotate very nice Lipo boxes and be done with the 18650 Chinese junk. I understand not everyone is in that market. In that case there are actually better built mods sans a DNA board. I love the Yihi G class for instance. Not as cusomizable as a DNA but very nice in it's own right. or on a lower budget the Fuchai Plus is pretty nice. They all will keep you off analogs anyways. Which, quite frankly is all that matters IMO.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just wanted to add my opinion. you know, like assholes everyone has one. Even according to Evolv the DNA boards as of current are made to use Lipo. They were forced to install reverse polarity for shit Chinese manufacturers. I feel 3x18650 Mods suck my huge dick. Yes, my opinion. They are huge, they rip battery wrappers,the paint jobs tend to fail.....and then Lo and behold the whole fucking mod fails. If anyone refutes this, They simply have not had it long enough. They suck. Well for that matter all Chinese DNA Mods suck IMO. You pay $200+ for that crap. Sure, a custom Mod is much more money but the quality and support are readily evident. You get what you pay for. If one is purchasing a Chinese Mod I personally suggest not to get a DNA based one. Save your money. Or spend it and get a custom. Interestingly nearly all of the custom DNA200/250 Mods use Lipos. For one thing(again, IMO) Lipo is a superior battery. Well, if nothing else it is what these Mods were designed for. There is no arguing that,. It is straight from Evolv. They had to adapt it because of the Chinese and stupidity. They cannot control either. On the other hand I do not care for a Mod with a 10,000MAH Lipo or even 5,000MAH for that matter. The whole idea(to me, at least) is it is light and small. I would not want, nor do I own anything above 1,800MAH. However a 950MAH Lipo does not need 2Amp charging but Alas you will not find them in the 250. Nice, small and lite. The opposite of the following which just happen to have me pulling my hair. They suck, IMO. I messed with Wisemec and Lost Vape for a while and both put a real bad taste in my mouth. No, it was not my choice of juice. First the paint failed, then they ripped batteries and finally complete failure. I am not alone on this. I did not abuse them either. This is just an instance of application of the wrong type of battery IMO again. Save for the paint which has nothing to do with the battery. Simply put, cheap Chinese rubbish. It is funny how their $50 Mods hold up better. We do not need to argue since this is just my feeling. You all are most certainly welcome to your own. The fact that DNA was made for Lipo holds true regardless. 18650 was a great idea but unfortunately it did not hold water. In regard to the 200 or 250 or any DNA board. I figured I would Type this here rather than start another thread for something which may not go over well. Okay, that is the end of my rant.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They were forced to install reverse polarity for shit Chinese manufacturers.

Or possibly because they saw a HUGE number of 18650 mods out there and decided to put the reverse battery protection onboard instead of requiring a daughter board? I bought the HCigar VT 133 because they used the daughter board instead of relying upon the vaper always be alert to the polarity.
Neither that mod nor my VT 167 have any wrap tearing issues.

A custom mod sounds like a good idea. Until the modder uses shitty parts, cheap batteries, has a hangover while soldering your mod, decides that they aren't making anymore. If I knew someone within easy driving distance, I'd have a mod made perhaps.

It surely wouldn't be a lipo fed box though. Fireproof bags for charging? Spectacular failure mode. Nah, I'll leave those to people who like the wilder side of life. Even without that, isn't my mod 'down' while charging? So, do I get two custom made boxes?

Thanks all the same, I'll take a DNA250c with dual 20700 and a 30mm 510 deck. As soon as they are available.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lipo's are a superior technology to Li-Ion. Custom Mods are like anything else. Some are trash and some are superior. I will take a known high quality custom over Chinese trash any day. Yes, I have multiple custom Mods. As you mentioned I use one while others are charging. I have found Primary cells to be nothing but trouble. Not good batteries but rather the cheap mass produced Mods. They stop making contact among other issues. I have 5 Triades that no longer work due to contact issues. Plus, on a DNA even with Polarity protection Primary's are a great way to blow the fuse at some point. Almost all Custom Mods are Lipo. There must be a reason. Evolv designed it for Lipo and offers their "reference" battery. Admittedly there are better batteries though. It was never designed for Primary's. The Chinese "experts" managed that. Regardless of protection. If you want Primary's I suggest not to get a DNA Mod. Somehow, in my experience they seem to last longer and function better. They were designed for Primary's and the DNA boards were not. Just my opinion. I know what yours is already :)

VU Sponsors