Become a Patron!

Digiflavor Helix Starter Kit with Lumi Tank

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Helix Starter Kit with Lumi Tank from Digiflavor a division of Geekvape. The Digiflavor Helix Starter Kit with Lumi Tank was sent for the purpose of this review by Carrie from Geekvape.

http://digiflavor.com/project/helix-kit/

Introduction

The Helix is a single 18650 with 3 modes, bypass and 2 different constant output settings. It's lightweight yet durable and with the included disposable Lumi tank is a good knock about device while i also found the Helix to be very versatile.

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Digiflavor Helix MOD
1 x Lumi Tank (built-in 0.3ohm supermesh coil)
1 x User manual
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Helix kit came in plain White cardboard packaging that all Digiflavor samples come in. It's made of a durable ABS material so will take some knocks while still being lightweight. It's a oval tubular shape which makes it very ergonomic and it's double helix design is pleasing to the eye. The device has raised straight sections going diagonally top to bottom with grooves between. In one of these grooves on the front of the device we have 3 LED's for mode and indication. The raised section on the front of the device has a Gunmetal rectangular rhombus shaped fire button towards the top then towards the bottom the micro USB port. Between the fire button and USB port we have "HELIX" carved into the ABS material on the diagonal. On one of the raised areas at the rear of the device we have "DIGIFLAVOR", also carved into the ABS on the diagonal. The base has safety marks then moving to the top we have a tiny 510 plate on a raised platform, the 510 is gold plated and spring loaded. I received the Black version that came with a matching Black Lumi tank, it's also available in Orange, Blue and White, all versions come with matching tank apart from the White Helix which comes with a Gunmetal Lumi.

Lumi Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 44.3mm (4ml)/24 x 34.8mm (2ml)
Capacity: 4ml/2ml
Coil Type: Built-in Non-replaceable Supercoil 0.3ohm KA1 Mesh (30-45W, Best 35-40W)
Innovative pre-coiled Lumi tank
Non-replaceable Supermesh coil system
Clear polycarbonate atomizer
Top refill and bottom airflow
Thread: 510
Colours: Blue, Orange, Gunmetal, Black

My Thoughts About Disposable Tanks

I have reviewed 3 different disposable tanks now and while up until the Lumi i have been surprised by flavour and performance and do see the uses of such a tank. Using when going on holiday or in a position you think your tank could be at risk of being damaged or lost, or just having a couple in a drawer for an emergency or maybe one in the glove compartment in your car. However including a disposable tank as a kit tank is encouraging over use of these tanks and just filling up landfill sites. I really don't get it, if you buy a kit you want a tank which can be used continuously just changing the coil when needed not one that after a couple of weeks needs throwing away and replacing. I suppose an argument could be made that some people want the convenience of not having to change coils but let's face it that's incredibly lazy!

Lumi Overview

The Lumi is a sub-ohm disposable tank with a pre-installed 0.3 mesh kanthal coil, with a rating between 30W and 45W and best of 35W to 40W. The whole top section including drip tip is one peace which is totally transparent, on the top of the tank next to the drip tip to one side is a removable bung which you remove to reveal a very generous fill port. The tank holds 4ml of e-liquid or 2ml with the TPD version, the TPD version is much shorter. The fill method is the best of the disposable tanks i have used so far as the tank doesn't need removing from the device to fill and the port is a very good size. The bung fits deep and tight making it very secure and in the event of it snapping off and you losing it during filling a spare one is provided. Obviously with no way of priming the coil when filling for the first time i would leave standing for 15 minutes taking the odd draw without firing. You might get away with priming the middle of the coil with the shorter TPD version via the drip tip but with the 4ml version most of the liquid will just go down the centre into the base and then out the airflow holes so personally i would just fill the tank then be patient. The Lumi also looks to have the best airflow adjustabilty of the disposable tanks i have looked at so far, the control ring can be removed which reveals dual cyclops, the control ring has 3 just over 2mm holes each side so you can have one hole open each side, 2 holes or 3. Moving to the base we do have a protruding Gold plated 510 but i would strongly advise not to use the Lumi on a hybrid.

Performance of Lumi

Usually the performance of the tank i would be describing and giving my opinion in the same section as the device but i tested the Helix with other tanks as i used the Lumi with the Lucid and am not a fan at all. The Lumi is disappointing as i have been surprised by how good disposable tanks have performed. With the Lumi i struggled to get much flavour, now don't get me wrong before mesh coils became all the rage i would be saying the flavour with the Lumi was ok but it has a mesh coil installed and compared to the other disposable tanks it's quite a way off. I do like the fill method with the Lumi but i also thought the airflow would be favourable but wide open it wasn't the smoothest and seemed to get rougher as i closed the airflow down to have 2 holes per side and then one.

Lumi on top of the Lucid!

Helix Specs and Features:

Size: 89.3 x 26mm
Chipset: Advanced AS Chip
Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0ohm
Material: ABS material
Mode: Bypass in Green Light/3.4V in Blue Light/3.2V in Red Light
Battery: Single 18650 cell (not included)
Double-helix design with ultra-lightweight ABS material
Advanced AS chip for fast and stable operation
Three output modes for different vaping needs
USB Pass-through for using the device while charging.
Tri-colour battery capacity indicator
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Orange, Blue, White

Fitting The Battery

The spine of the device is removable to reveal the battery compartment, the diagonal grooves towards the rear on the sides come in very handy for grip when pulling the spine free. The compartment is very tidy and the positive contact is spring loaded. The device takes a 18650, a bit disappointing that it also doesn't take a 21700 as this could of been done without changing the size of the device. The spine is secured in place via a small square magnet top and bottom, they might be small but they are about the strongest magnets i have come across on a device, once fitted their is no movement whatsoever, in fact removing the panel takes quite a tug. I would give it a score of 10 out of 10 but need to take a mark off because yet again we have Black on Black battery orientation markings.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Operating The Helix

The Helix is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and off and after completing the operation confirmation is given by 3 flashes from the LED's that flash in the current mode of operation colour and corresponding battery status. The Helix is a simple wattage only device but has 3 different modes which are bypass, constant 3.4v or constant 3.2v. To change between modes is 3 clicks of the fire button, Bypass is indicated by the LED's lighting Green, 3 clicks changes the mode to 3.2v indicated by the LED's lighting Red, 3 more clicks changes the LED's to Blue which indicate the mode is 3.4v and another 3 clicks takes you back to bypass. When changing modes the LED's stay on in the corresponding colour for 3 seconds, also they light up the mode colour when vaping. The device also uses the LED's for battery status indication, which is indicated by how many of the 3 LED's light up. If all three light up then the battery has plenty of life, if 2 light up you are at about half life and if only one lights up battery life is getting low. I didn't receive a manual with the sample and nothing on the website giving percentages for battery indication but they do seem quite evenly spaced out. As usual the device has all the protections you would expect which are indicated by various flashes of the LED's if they kick in.

Using The Helix

As explained earlier i am not a fan at all of the Lumi and i certainly wouldn't use it on the Helix in Bypass mode as with a fresh battery it will be giving about 15w over the recommended wattage for the coil in the Lumi. The constant 3.4v and 3.2v settings are very suitable though and will bring out the best in the Lumi, just personally i find the Lumi at it's best is not that great. I found the Helix best using single coil RTA's but then you need to take into account that's how i vape. Even taking that into account it really did suit a 0.3ohm to 0.4ohm build in a single coil RTA and i used the Helix the most with the Serpent Elevate with a 0.36 build on the 3.4v setting which gave me the sought of vape i really like. The Helix will also be very suitable as part of a MTL set-up with a high ohm coil, high mg and nic salts will work well with the constant wattage settings with the Helix giving far more battery capacity than a pod system or other internal battery options. The Helix is very comfortable in the hand and is just as suited as either a finger or thumb firer, it fires instantly (uses the Geekvape AS chip) with next to no ramp up. The protruding easy to find rhombus fire button gives a satisfying click and while using as mentioned battery indication is nicely spaced out. The device is limited to a 24mm atty before overhanging the 510 platform but a 25mm looks ok and doesn't overhang the device. The Helix seems an efficient little device as i got good life for a single 18650 battery.

Final Thoughts

As a kit i'm not impressed as i just don't like the Lumi and bypass would be too powerful for it's recommended wattage range. However the Helix is also available on it's own and it's a handy, versatile, out and about suited device. I liked using the Helix with single coil RTA's, it's equally suitable using with MTL set-ups with high mg or nic salts or could use it in Bypass with an RDA on top.

Solid device
will take some knocks
Pleasing to the eye shape
Ergonomic
Pocket friendly
Light
No rattles
4 colour options
3 modes of operation
Versatile
Solid battery panel (very strong magnets)
Nice protruding clicky fire button
Fires instantly with next to no ramp up
Efficient
Mode indication
Battery status indication
Multiple protections
Both Helix and Lumi can be bought separately

Cons

Lumi tank i feel lacks flavour
Lumi tank rough airflow
Only one disposable tank included
Missed opportunity to make this a 21700 device
Atty's over 24mm will overhang platform (over 25mm will overhang the device)
Black on Black battery orientation markings

I would once again like to thank Carrie from Geekvape for supplying the Digiflavor Helix Starter Kit with Lumi Tank for the purpose of this review.

http://digiflavor.com/project/helix-kit/

VU Sponsors