Become a Patron!

Dirty eJuice?

willywhomper

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been making my own ejuice and it seems to be clogging/gunking up my coils worse than any juice ever has. Like in a day Im cleaning coils and swapping cotton.

I know this isnt avoidable but I've never had coils get THIS bad THIS quick.

What would be a reason? Do I have really low or poor grade PG/VG? or is it the flavor concentrate?

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Different flavorings gunk up the coils/wicks differently. Certain recipes are ridiculously clean, while others are even more ridiculously "dirty" :giggle:

latest

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you add a lot of sweetener, that'll do it too. Otherwise, like what ttatlanta said, certain flavors can gunk up coils too.

A couple that come to mind are anything chocolate-like, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel.

If you post your recipes, I'm sure someone can tell you what's causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I feel your pain; my strawberry & cream is a MONSTER gunker. I thought it was the heavy sweetener, since I used 2.5% when I first started making it, but now I use just .35%, and it's still a gunk monster, if not *quite* as bad as it used to be. I think it's the fact that the shisha strawberry I use is organic; there are actual strawberry solids in that stuff, even if they're so fine as to be invisible to the naked eye -- it just won't vaporize cleanly. And I use 14.5% of it, plus another 11-12% of various creams and that bit of sweetener. I'm hoping that I can keep reducing the flavoring percentages, the longer my tastebuds heal from smoking.

This juice is still my ADV, more than 2 yrs after I first started making it, but it forced me to switch entirely to RDAs within 6 months; the gunk backwash always turned the juice in the kayfun a darkening brown, and my husband said it smelled like "burnt shit." I've caught the smell of it once or twice myself, when it's badly gunked, and to me it smells somewhat like burnt plastic -- still pretty foul! But my Achilles RDA holds 2.5ml -- enough that I'm not CONSTANTLY dripping, but little enough that I don't waste so much.

Andria

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel your pain; my strawberry & cream is a MONSTER gunker. I thought it was the heavy sweetener, since I used 2.5% when I first started making it, but now I use just .35%, and it's still a gunk monster
Amsterdam Vape's Strawberry Cream is one of my ADV, and it's gunky AF, despite total lack of any sweeteners. Grack Juice, on the other hand, makes you feel dirty by just looking at the list of ingredients… yet it's one of the cleanest juices in regard to gunking.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you add a lot of sweetener, that'll do it too. Otherwise, like what ttatlanta said, certain flavors can gunk up coils too.

A couple that come to mind are anything chocolate-like, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel.

If you post your recipes, I'm sure someone can tell you what's causing it.

I vape heavy cinnamon and I have to change the wicks and burn the coils every 10-15 mls. I don't mind though.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I vape heavy cinnamon and I have to change the wicks and burn the coils every 10-15 mls. I don't mind though.

Same here. It's definitely worth it.

Cinnamon cookie custard, mmm

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same here. It's definitely worth it.

Cinnamon cookie custard, mmm

Have you tried this one? It's superb, one of my all time favorites. I've been making it with FA Cinnamon Ceylon as I just finally got the FLV Rich Cinnamon which I'll use on the next batch. I also just got FW Cinnamon Roll which I'll try as well.

I promise, it's worth trying. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/3j7rnk/september_2015_recipe_thread/curwvh2/

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you tried this one? It's superb, one of my all time favorites. I've been making it with FA Cinnamon Ceylon as I just finally got the FLV Rich Cinnamon which I'll use on the next batch. I also just got FW Cinnamon Roll which I'll try as well.

I promise, it's worth trying. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/3j7rnk/september_2015_recipe_thread/curwvh2/

Sounds good, I'll have to wait until I put in my next flavor order though.

I don't have almond or FLV rich cinnamon.
I could sub similar flavors I guess.

Saved a screenshot of the recipe. Thanks!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What would be a reason?

Dark colored flavorings may contain food coloring that will also contribute to gunking.
Certain FW flavors have sugars added.
A higher total amount of flavorings used doesn't help either.
Most of the fruit + vanilla + cream combos I make are fairly clean but I'm rarely using more than 12% tot. flavorings.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds good, I'll have to wait until I put in my next flavor order though.

I don't have almond or FLV rich cinnamon.
I could sub similar flavors I guess.

Saved a screenshot of the recipe. Thanks!

TFA Cinnamon Spice is similar too... it's the "real" bakery type of cinnamon, rather than that nasty cinnemaldehyde crap.

Andria

willywhomper

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you all for help. I had to take moment to soak it all in. So for my base mixture I was using 10ml of flavor concentrate for to make 100ml batch. Way too much. So I used 1-2ml of flavoring for a 100ml batch and the gunking stopped. whats most surprising is my flavor level didnt change? So I see in this case less is actually more. Thank you everyone for your help. I was so frustrated I was ready to throw my mod at the wall. Lol. I do notice while using in my RDA that the darker colour juices gunk my setup faster than clear flavorings. Even from the same supplier. Im so stoked for clean clouds. Falling in love with vaping all over again!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So for my base mixture I was using 10ml of flavor concentrate for to make 100ml batch. Way too much. So I used 1-2ml of flavoring for a 100ml batch and the gunking stopped.

10ml in a 100ml batch is only 10% flavor, which really isn't overkill for most recipes IMO.
2ml in 100ml is only 2% which is kinda on the low side especially if using multiple flavors.
Depending on what flavors/brands you're using and your taste buds of course.

But if you can taste fine it at 2% there's really no reason to use more than you need to get the taste you like.
If testing new recipes you should only make 10-15ml at a time until you find your sweet spot, (but you probably already know this).

willywhomper

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
10ml in a 100ml batch is only 10% flavor, which really isn't overkill for most recipes IMO.
2ml in 100ml is only 2% which is kinda on the low side especially if using multiple flavors.
Depending on what flavors/brands you're using and your taste buds of course.

But if you can taste fine it at 2% there's really no reason to use more than you need to get the taste you like.
If testing new recipes you should only make 10-15ml at a time until you find your sweet spot, (but you probably already know this).

See now I was doing that. 10% concentrate right? But without letting it steep, I mean I needed juice lol.
If I understand correctly couldnt we just use 1% and letting it steep long enough to give us the flavor we want? Or does it at a certain point just be 1% flavoring? What I THINK happened in my situation was I made dirty juice using to much concentrate. It all had set about 8 days in the original batch I made. So I just dumped more PG/VG mix into the already steeped juice, and the flavor level didnt decrease like I thought it would, but the gunking stopped. Am I right here? Or just crazy?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Steeping juice will not increase the total flavor per say. It can cause a specific flavor to become more prominent in a recipe with many flavors involved.

Steeping is just another word for giving your ingredients time to blend together.

So using 1% and letting it steep is not realistic.

willywhomper

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Steeping juice will not increase the total flavor per say. It can cause a specific flavor to become more prominent in a recipe with many flavors involved.

Steeping is just another word for giving your ingredients time to blend together.

So using 1% and letting it steep is not realistic.

Oh, I see I have that mixed up. Thanks for telling me!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Am I right here? Or just crazy?

It's just that some can't get any taste when using 2% per se, and need to use more.
If you only need to use 2% to taste good you're one of the lucky ones...
Steeping really doesn't increase flavor but it can sometimes make certain recipes taste better.
I have to steep recipes that use certain flavors like Bavarian Cream or some Custards.
But most I only give 24-36 hrs unless they sit longer just because I don't vape fast enough.
Although some CAP flavors need a week IMO.

willywhomper

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I finally figured it out. I used just my PG VG mix no concentrates and it had my coils and cotton clogging up bad after 47 rips. tasted like plastic too. Ugh!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I finally figured it out. I used just my PG VG mix no concentrates and it had my coils and cotton clogging up bad after 47 rips. tasted like plastic too. Ugh!

Some people really like vaping absolutely unflavored. I have no idea why, but it's true. :huh:

Andria

VU Sponsors