Become a Patron!

DIY...a little different...

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I'm going to squash the norm a little here (no offense to ANY other DIYers here). I've been vaping for 5 ish years and DIY mixing for 4. I started here learning the ins and outs of DIY. Everyone said "don't overdo it. 1-2% FA and 3-5% everything else. Mix 7 darn flavors together at 1% of this and 2% of that; and bang! Yummy!" Oh and "everything needs time to STEEP" All that being said, off into DIY I went. Mixing and steeping. I soon realized with my low sense of taste after years of sinus problems and surgery, this was not what I had hoped to get from DIY. So, I ventured into my own level of DIY, and here's how it goes: I mix most all my flavors 6-16% EACH, regardless of how many I'm using. If that means 20 or 30% flavor per bottle; so be it. All the warnings I recieved against doing it this way were false. If it's yummy at 4-5% chances are it will be twice as yummy at 8-10%. (Think about that for a moment) Next: I've bought almost every Flavour Art flavor there is. Most are weak, and suck at any %. (Sorry to the FA fanboys) So, I threw most of them out. Next: you don't need 17 flavors mixed together at .5-1% to make good juice. Find 2 or 3 flavors that blend well, and figure out the primary of your mix, then drop the background flavors 2%. (E.G. Strawberry Cheesecake: 10% Cheesecake Graham Crust TFA, 8% Cheesecake CAP, 8% Shisha Strawberry INW, 1% Super Sweet CAP) Wow! That worked! Ask @CrazyChef v2.0. I'm not saying the 17 flavors all mixed together in smidgens isn't good; but not every recipe has to be like that to be good. Lastly: STEEPING. I did it. With very lackluster results over shake and vape. (S&V) Chemically all that happens is some of the flavors alcohol evaporates and the nicotine (freebase) oxidizes. Flavoring blends about as well as it's going to with a good shake. It's not a Vinegar and oil salad dressing here folks. With that said; if your flavor isn't great after a good shake, it's not going to be much better after a sonic cleaner, 3 weeks in a dark closet with the cap off shaking and praying over it every 2.5 days. In closing: read all of these excellent tips and advice threads. @HeadInClouds knows his stuff. Learn from these people. But, above all; they're YOUR tastebuds. Figure out what you want and like, play with percentages, and DIY YOUR way! Questions, comments, and complaints are always welcome. *steps off the soapbox*

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Same issue I had, started and bought half of the FA line due to the hype, got nothing at the suggested percentages. Was told its my taste buds, so I retired the flavors since people were saying you can't go above 1-2%. Used other flavors meantime and no issues. Revisited FA after months of research, just to be told its my setup.

Went bought new mods, RDA's, rta's you name it, like a mad woman. Still nothing. Tried to change my vape style DL to mtl and back etc. Nothing. Then being told its my mixing equipment, so still thinking its me I purchased all the fancy equipment. Not regretting that since it helps me personally. Bought at least 300 more flavors that were suggested and again not regretting it, but while I use a couple FA here and there (way above 0.5-2% tho) most are disappointing and so is the new hype called flavorah.

Some are great sure but the majority is not. Every time I say it tho, I'm still told its my taste buds, mods, equipment or going above 0.10% because apparently some people have magic flavors that weren't available to the public, and mixing a 12 flavor recipe below 5% total and making me feel like a moron because I can't taste it? Sure lol. Turns out most these people are getting these flavors for free.

If I get the whole lines for free, I make damn sure I'll be posting aa 25 ingredient recipe with a total of 0.08% next time and say its damn amazing ;)

Mix whatever you want is my method from now on, if you like 60% flavor go ahead, there's no right or wrong lol. I'm luckier with flavors in general that are low or badly rated, rather than extremely popular ones.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turns out most these people are getting these flavors for free.
Shit, how do I sign up for that program? Coulda saved me a lot of money, hassle, etc.

Also, rather presumptuous of you.

Everyone has different tastes and preferences. By realizing your preferences are set higher than others, doesn't exactly give you legroom to stand and declare everyone else wrong. Maybe the majority of people share the same, uhh, "level" - if you don't, cool, but don't call everyone else a shill for not liking it just the way you do.

That being said, I'm on the same page with OP with steeping - gave up on that little sideshow months ago. There might be a change here and there over a little time, but I'm done investing anything into it at that stage anymore. It's a pain in the butt to even think about my old rituals and cycles and schedules. All my stuff is shake and vape now.

All boils down to: if it tastes good to you, you're doing it right. That customization right there is exactly why 99% of us do this.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
most of my recepies come in around 12% flavorings...and I think long steeping really makes the juice alot better...I never really followed too many DIY discussions, for the simple fact, my tastses seem to be 180 degrees away from the popular flavor profiles most people enjoy.Mixing like your choice in gear or wattage settings are highly individual,and you have to allow yourself the freedom to go beyond conventional wisdom or your own presumptions in order to find what works for you....Hell I still vape gennys with ss mesh wicks,and I doubt more than 2% of vapers still do,but nothing else I've tried suits my tastes as well.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Shit, how do I sign up for that program? Coulda saved me a lot of money, hassle, etc.

Everyone has different tastes and preferences. By realizing your preferences are set higher than others, doesn't exactly give you legroom to stand and declare everyone else wrong. Maybe the majority of people share the same, uhh, "level" - if you don't, cool, but don't call everyone else a shill for not liking it just the way you do.

Oh I'm sorry, next time I make sure that I sugar coat my opinion, so you won't get hurt son. Gtfo, presumptuous my ass. i haven't called anybody anything, I stated my experience and opinion. Coming once again with the oh its subjective or everyone has different taste argument isn't going to cut it.

Picking a percentage someone likes it, is subjective.
A specific combination is subject of its being subjective.
A flavor not being someone's favorite or cup of tea, fine subjective as well.

But what is not subjective, is if you have 100 people and 95 can't taste your flavor at any percentage, even tho its advertised/marketed as super/ultra/extreme/place any word here concentrate. unless you were catering to just the 5 people, that manufacturer missed the mark and not because I don't like it, because he/she is missing a huge business opportunity here. But if that's what that company wanted, great.

This is an example with random numbers I picked, before you get butt hurt again.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're definitely by yourself on this. My standard starting % on most flavorings is 10%, and I'll work up or down (mostly up) from there.
I've always had a "green-yellow-red" kind of thing with my percentages. Ten is green, 11 is yellow, 12-13 is red. If I'm hitting red on a recipe, I try to re-configure.

Oh I'm sorry, next time I make sure that I sugar coat my opinion, so you won't get hurt son. Gtfo, presumptuous my ass. i haven't called anybody anything, I stated my experience and opinion. Coming once again with the oh its subjective or everyone has different taste argument isn't going to cut it.
Picking a percentage someone likes it, is subjective.
A specific combination is subject of its being subjective.
A flavor not being someone's favorite or cup of tea, fine subjective as well.
But what is not subjective, is if you have 100 people and 95 can't taste your flavor at any percentage, even tho its advertised/marketed as super/ultra/extreme/place any word here concentrate. unless you were catering to just the 5 people, that manufacturer missed the mark and not because I don't like it, because he/she is missing a huge business opportunity here. But if that's what that company wanted, great.
This is an example with random numbers I picked, before you get butt hurt again.

Yeah, thanks for your opinion. Speaking of butthurt...

because apparently some people have magic flavors that weren't available to the public, and mixing a 12 flavor recipe below 5% total and making me feel like a moron because I can't taste it? Sure lol. Turns out most these people are getting these flavors for free.

...sounds a little, erm, "saucy" there boss.

If 95 out of 100 people are saying one thing, and you think another, you know... you might just be the odd man out. It's not necessarily everyone else that is wrong, you know?

I believe Principal Skinner put it best:

Have a good one, Chief. Calm your ass and quit throwing shade ya dingus.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It's not presumptuous.

There was lots of shilling going on in these DIY forums with forum members getting free product shipped to them, especially in 2014-2015 when this low percentage trend began. And it continues.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mix what you like, vape what you like, recommend what you like - all's fair, I say, no big deal either way. I know that I follow certain guidelines, and in my own personal experience, that hits the mark - too much flavoring, like the absurdly high recommendations I see scattered about, make for a bad bottle of juice.

Perhaps the "big push" of lower percentages fall more in-line with the manufacturers trying to fix a problem where the dumb-dumb civilians buying this crap are wasting and doing it incorrectly and, in turn, throwing crap at them online. I'd understand that being a problem for a company whose product gets blasted online because no one knows how to correctly use it, or is misguided on how it's supposed to be used. How would a company get behind pushing that message? I get FlavourArt emails all the time with recipes and percentage guidelines, but I get most of my conversation about DIY from online forums. Word of mouth. From one user to the other.

That being said...

Turns out most these people are getting these flavors for free.

That's presumptuous as hell, no matter how you slice it. Whether it happened in the past or not, it's arrogant to assume that people giving low-percentage (no, excuse me, "most of" those giving those percentages) are shills.

Am I wrong on that?

Call a spade a spade and whatnot.

Because I'm struggling to figure out how a company benefits by trying to push a message along the lines of "don't use so much of our product next time," otherwise.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new to diy and find following the guidelines by those who know what they're doing hasn't steered me wrong. To each their own. I like wayne from diyordie so I follow his advice. He claims too much flavouring has the opposite effect of the desired effect. It actually mutes flavours. I'm just a newb I really know nothing. I'm grateful for good advice tho lol there's probably a lot of truth in both schools of thought. At the end of the day do what you gotta do to get the vape you like. There shouldn't be "rules" but I believe in guidelines and maybe like op one day I'll say fuckem and do whatever works for me. for now I'll walk the path by those that paved the way. It works for me. Cheers.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Am I wrong on that?

Yep.

Do you really think that shilling on any vapor forum has been restricted to mods and attys and finished juice? That the DIY section is pure and unadulterated?

Marketers are going to market.

Because I'm struggling to figure out how a company benefits by trying to push a message along the lines of "don't use so much of our product next time," otherwise.

Well, if a product is more expensive than another, a perfect counterpoint is that you need less of it. And if it takes 7 or more flavors to make a recipe, you have to buy 7 flavors. Right?

Last edited:

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright, one last go. Let's see if we can make head way.

If I want to make macaroni and cheese, I have to either A. buy the ingredients to make it myself, or B. buy a box of pre-assembled mac and cheese.

Now. If "making your own mac and cheese" was a thing that was just taking off, and everyone was buying it up and trying it out, there's going to be some feel-around-room with that. Some will use, say, two cups of cheese. Some will use one cup. Let's say that many more are using 2, 3, even 4 cups of cheese and going around online saying "this make-your-own mac and cheese is garbage."

Cheese makers want to not have people out there talking shit about their cheese, when it's the customer who is incorrectly using too much cheese.

If the cheese makers only wanted to focus on selling more cheese, what advantage would that offer for them to step up and go "hey, use less cheese ya ding-dongs."?

Yeah, that seven-cheese mac sure sounds good, means you'll be needing seven different cheeses. Just like if I wanted, say, spaghetti - that's either one ingredient or several, my choice. This DIY stuff isn't so different from cooking in a lot of aspects, so I think the analogy holds.

You can absolutely make mac and cheese with one type of cheese. Just a little less than the heaping cup-fulls that the community seems to be focusing on. It would absolutely be in their interest to clear the air.

To turn around and go "HEY, most everyone that suggests either multi-cheese or only 1-cup-of-cheese recipes is a SHILL for Big Cheese!" ... that's stupid.

By no means do I think the DIY community isn't being advertised to. Absolutely, undeniably. Remember those emails I mentioned, the ones from FlavourArt? They're ads. Ads with a little bit of info, a "suggested servings/instructions for use" section, but ads none the less.

This:

And if it takes 7 or more flavors to make a recipe, you have to buy 7 flavors. Right?

...is blowing my mind. Yes. Yes you would. Just the same as I'd have to buy ALL the ingredients to a spaghetti recipe I'd like to try. Or a pie recipe. Or to assemble literally anything that takes more than a single component in life.

But no, it's a big conspiracy, right? Gimme a break.

:rolleyes:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright, one last go. Let's see if we can make head way.

If I want to make macaroni and cheese, I have to either A. buy the ingredients to make it myself, or B. buy a box of pre-assembled mac and cheese.

Now. If "making your own mac and cheese" was a thing that was just taking off, and everyone was buying it up and trying it out, there's going to be some feel-around-room with that. Some will use, say, two cups of cheese. Some will use one cup. Let's say that many more are using 2, 3, even 4 cups of cheese and going around online saying "this make-your-own mac and cheese is garbage."

Cheese makers want to not have people out there talking shit about their cheese, when it's the customer who is incorrectly using too much cheese.

If the cheese makers only wanted to focus on selling more cheese, what advantage would that offer for them to step up and go "hey, use less cheese ya ding-dongs."?

Yeah, that seven-cheese mac sure sounds good, means you'll be needing seven different cheeses. Just like if I wanted, say, spaghetti - that's either one ingredient or several, my choice. This DIY stuff isn't so different from cooking in a lot of aspects, so I think the analogy holds.

You can absolutely make mac and cheese with one type of cheese. Just a little less than the heaping cup-fulls that the community seems to be focusing on. It would absolutely be in their interest to clear the air.

To turn around and go "HEY, most everyone that suggests either multi-cheese or only 1-cup-of-cheese recipes is a SHILL for Big Cheese!" ... that's stupid.

By no means do I think the DIY community isn't being advertised to. Absolutely, undeniably. Remember those emails I mentioned, the ones from FlavourArt? They're ads. Ads with a little bit of info, a "suggested servings/instructions for use" section, but ads none the less.

This:

...is blowing my mind. Yes. Yes you would. Just the same as I'd have to buy ALL the ingredients to a spaghetti recipe I'd like to try. Or a pie recipe. Or to assemble literally anything that takes more than a single component in life.

But no, it's a big conspiracy, right? Gimme a break.

:rolleyes:

I'm only telling you what I know. I won't name drop. I won't call anyone out. I won't give details.

But I will say that I have been sent flavors. Once. From a company I have never ordered from. Because they liked something I said on this forum.

You can be an ostrich if you want. I know better. ;)

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In my experience flavors have a zone where they taste best. If you push it past the zone it starts tasting funky. I start tasting "notes" or whatever that I dont want to taste.

I'm not big on Flavorart either. I'll use the good ones. But Ive bought too many that weren't that good to want to try them all. I read the old pages in each of the DIY sections here, and know these forums were dominated by Flavourart fans. Things have changed though. I don't think any one company gets that much love anymore. We all get flavors from all the companies.

Steeping definitely is a thing. I know for a fact that some recipes/flavors benefit from time. If your toungue/nose can't tell, than I can see why you'd argue otherwise.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Aside from the slight disagreement going on, I'd like to say, yes you can overdo it with too high of percentages on flavors. But with MOST flavors, that's like 15% and up. Sometimes not even then. I have a few that taste great at 20%. But remember, it's all about what YOU want and like!

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I posted a recipe the other day for a clone of Country Clouds Cornbread Puddin juice (more flavorful than theirs) and the requester said "isn't 27% flavoring a little bit much?" I was like not at all. Try it. They did. After a 10 ml sample, they made 60 ml to vape on. Nothing but good comments about it. You never know till you try.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Flavor brands and percentages should never be an argument, simply a discussion. Taste is 100% subjective to the individual. There is simply no right or wrong involved. When I started I used suggested percentages for testers and went from there carving my own path in regards to mixing.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Flavor brands and percentages should never be an argument, simply a discussion. Taste is 100% subjective to the individual. There is simply no right or wrong involved. When I started I used suggested percentages for testers and went from there carving my own path in regards to mixing.
As is the best way to do anything - to your tastes, and your tastes alone. Well said.

Now, allow me to call everyone who doesn't see it my way names and sperg out online! Nah, I'm kidding, kidding, have a great day everyone!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
As is the best way to do anything - to your tastes, and your tastes alone. Well said.

Now, allow me to call everyone who doesn't see it my way names and sperg out online! Nah, I'm kidding, kidding, have a great day everyone!
You just liked the post because I mostly agreed with you.:cheers:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You never know till you try.

Sounds to me like you had dealings with some of those Self Proclaimed DIY Gurus on ECF who think you have to do it their way or No Way~! The crap they spew is so outdated it is just laughable. I must say though I personally feel e-Liquids need a minimum of a couple of days to infuse properly because if I can still see separation of the VG/PG/Nicotine when I shake it needs to time to age. I do speed the infusion by heating but only to about 100°F.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You just liked the post because I mostly agreed with you.:cheers:
I mean, kinda? It's nice to know my stance isn't off-base, but in the end, I'm not arguing to make friends and enemies. I see something that tweaks my tail, I say something. I was even polite ;)

Someone going "hey this is the way I do it, others say to do it differently but that doesn't work for me, this does" is one thing. Fine man, that's what this is all about, finding your way that works best for you.

Straight up throwing out the "yeah well most anyone who thinks that way is probably a dirty shill" is completely another. Don't lump my ass into a nefarious group because "my way" happens to conflict with yours. I wasn't even going to chime in to this thread at all until I read eStorm's little poop sling.

I've got all sorts of thoughts and opinions about this or that group that does, or doesn't do whatever - but I try to not generalize out loud too often. It's often met exactly how eStorm's post was. It doesn't gain me anything. Getting someone to go "okay well I still don't agree with you, but I understand why you think that way, that makes sense" is the ultimate victory.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
A person well known in the industry said once that a particular company only makes garbage flavors. Good that's his/her opinion, but because he was well known, this message got repeated in nearly every topic. Wrong or not it did not matter, nearly became the standard answer or excuse for everything and still does lol

Next person claims a couple flavors are horrible, again his opinion, 5hrs later it was the most amazing juice on earth. After being questioned, turned out this person received that line for free and became the free advertising for that company. Taste bud change we can agree but 5 hrs after just announcing how bad these flavors were prior?

Third person always kept a open mind, recommend tons of flavor from different companies and were very helpful. One night to the other he/she announced the mail that just got delivered...for free. From that day on only these flavors are used and everything else is now horrible. This isn't weird?

Beginners as well as veterans ask on a forum for opinions because the flavor doesn't work for them, or as advertised, now these people been told they over flavoring, their hardware isn't right, they don't use lab equipment etc. After a while they are tired of the excuses and ask the person how they mix or were they got the flavor from, thinking maybe themselves got a bad batch. Surprise it was free and sent prior of release and the person never bought a replacement. Why is that? If its so amazing and even using it low, your 10ml is not lasting 3 years, if looking at the sheer amount of recipes posted. Or is the reason that the ingredients got altered before official release, or is the flavor just not that great?

Its not me making it up, these people exist and its a amazing marketing strategy that's nearly impossible to prove because taste is subjective, right?
If all of that isn't suspicious to you, then fine but I do question it. And again if that flavor is so magical, why not everybody can taste it? Percentage shouldn't matter. Its a general question, not about people not able to taste strawberry or creams. That's one or maybe 8 flavors, but if somebody can't taste 100 of these flavors, don't you think its maybe not the persons fault?

I'm all for low percentage but don't tell me you making a 15 ingredient recipe with a overall flavor total of 2.4% and a 1/4 drop in max VG. Its not believable with any setup. If it makes me arrogant for calling bullshit here, then thank you, but I don't think I need to ask anyone's permission if I disagree with their style of mixing or/and opinion. At the end of the day its every normal person that helps out others and learns something new. Its not the person on YouTube or on other forums and social media promoting that one and only magical line. Because these people can't be bothered, but it certainly helps if a company got barely noticed prior, even for years. Now all the sudden been promoted everywhere you look, due to the popular person partnered/supported. This is not specifically against one company, its generalized, because its more than one doing it.

Now I never said that all flavors are horrible, but more people like the OP come forward and sharing their point. Its refreshing because normally nobody mentions anything about that. maybe it even helps others to take another look at certain flavors. However being called presumptuous is not helping at all, in fact it just does the opposite. I'm not jealous if that's what others think, but if I take the time and help others or try to ask a question about a specific flavor and be polite and respectful, don't turn around and plain blank lie to my face. That's what these people do, not nice and sure life isn't nice, still I do believe that some people are honest enough and say something like "hey I experienced that too. Or its worth the hype because I feel that way. Or brand x made a similar flavor that might be better etc." without having to explain themselves all the time. But getting free product and constantly saying, taste is subjective, you cant go above 0.02%, is getting old and tiring. Especially every time someone dares sharing their different opinion/experience.

I didn't call people names, but I also don't sit here keeping quiet and agree with everybody, so we can keep the peace. For me its important that people still smoking getting into vaping, some are not fortune enough, I don't sit here and tell them mystic yellow ashtray at $56,99 a bottle is amazing and everything I use at 0.01% and top it off with, every other company is horrible and you get popcorn lung and cancer if you use it. Not my style, but if you still can't understand it, that's fine we can stick to Mac and cheese, and estorm being a arrogant person ;)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see something that tweaks my tail, I say something.

I wasn't even going to chime in to this thread at all until I read eStorm's little poop sling.

So, you chimed in to argue about her opinion because you don't except it, but you want her to accept yours.

But I'm afraid she is correct. There are shills that started the low percentage trend. Whether you want to accept it or not.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
eStorm, you've completely glossed over my points, entirely. I even agreed with you and Time about marketing on forums. That is not the issue I addressed, never was.

At this point in our conversation, I don't believe you even want to acknowledge the point of fact that I was trying to make. If you'd like, you're more than welcome to head on up to my previous posts and read about mac and cheese, because that's apparently all you took from it.

Have your opinion, enjoy it, share it and love the world. Maybe keep it light on the generalizations and assumptions, try not to sperg out so quickly next time. Ahh, who am I kidding? This is the Wild Wild Web, e'rything goes! Who wants to bar brawl, eh? Eh? MY SHOES ARE NICER THAN YOURS!

So, you chimed in to argue about her opinion because you don't except it, but you want her to accept yours.

Still confused? No worries. That's why I'm here, boss, to help.

No, I don't wish to argue her opinion about juice percentages. I want to clarify that it's unappreciated to generalize that most all of the people spouting low-percentage recipes are shills. Simple as that.

I don't accept that everyone who shares low-percentage recipes is a shill for a company who probably got free flavorings and is here to push a product. I don't doubt that happened. Some of us actually sit down with our bottles, take a few guidelines from posts, and mix. And mix and mix and mix and mix. And test. And mix some more. Not to make a buck, not to show off, but because I can't whittle on the front porch anymore, and I've had to find a new hobby.

That was a little sugar-coated joke to help the medicine, let's not let it get us off track by a mile.

It's a hobby. My hobby. The thing I do and take pride in, the thing I like to sit back and grin at myself for making something that tastes pretty good. To me. Because no one else vapes my juice, at all, ever. When I refine a mix, and I'm proud of it, and I like the taste it gives, I try to share it out to the world. Not to promote me, my juice line, or a specific flavoring company. Hell, you'd be hard-pressed to find so much as a single recipe I've shared that is exclusively one brand. Variety is the spice of life, you know?

I value her opinion as much as anyone else's out there. It's perfectly valid, as much so as mine or yours, when it comes to what percentages she prefers and finds best suit her needs.

"This juice percentage is too high/low" - opinion, fine, warrants no comment.

"This juice percentage is too high/low, so everyone calling it awesome must be a shill." - generalization that lumps people into a group with a label.

Surely now you can see the difference. Perhaps, now, you understand what my "issue" with her post was. It's not the opinion, it's the finger-pointing. And the finger was pointed in a very broad arc, and it pointed at me, and I said "fuck that, here, chew on a long-ass wordy post while I slack off on a Monday morning."

:D

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, the shills are out there, it's common knowledge, but I don't agree with every word any of them says. I try things for myself because that's what we do. If any said shill says "Try this, it's the best thing since sliced bread!", I'm not one bit afraid to tell them they're nuts and have dead taste buds, but I don't. My "statement" is to either keep my money in my pocket or give it to someone else for something I know works for me. And the .02% flavors that cost a mere 17/18 bucks for a little 15ml bottle? Not in my arsenal, sorry, I can smell bullshit at 500 paces and I'm not biting on that one. Even if it's true, there's always the chance that I won't like it and my money is long gone by the time I figure that out. I prefer to ignore flavor politics and dance to the beat of my own drummer. And that's what any of us should do.

Even when we were smoking, we all chose the ones that made us happy. Full flavor folks weren't any "wronger" than the ultra light folks who weren't doing it any better than the menthol smokers - we just smoked. DIY is no different as far as tastes. If someone offers me something I don't like, I just smile, fill up another cuppa cheese, and do what makes me happy. I do me, you do you, they do them. Peace, love, and macaroni....

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And the .02% flavors that cost a mere 17/18 bucks for a little 15ml bottle? Not in my arsenal, sorry, I can smell bullshit at 500 paces and I'm not biting on that one.

Yeah, Flavorah's Smooth Vanilla. I'm still sore about that one. What a waste of twenty bucks. I'd say "never again" but, well, I know me better than that.

Glad we're all friends now! YAY BIG VU GROUP HUG.

dont touch me

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Yeah, Flavorah's Smooth Vanilla. I'm still sore about that one. What a waste of twenty bucks. I'd say "never again" but, well, I know me better than that.

Glad we're all friends now! YAY BIG VU GROUP HUG.

dont touch me
Goup hug.jpg

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
lmao... what a thread.. I wish I had the time to sit here all night and reply to each of you..
You are all wrong.. and you are all right.. :)

I know I do rep a company, and I do admit to being an affiliate. However!

I love to share recipes and ideas and for the last few years, my time here I have not been around. Excuse?
I do work. I do pay for flavors. Do I get freebies? Sure, I admit to it, from more than one company and more than 1 lab, as it is my job and has been for a few years, but... I also admit to knowing the difference in disliking a flavor because I am not a fan of said profile.. or.. I enjoy the crap out of it, and will buy a huge bottle. Same with my recipes. If they are good, I try to give a heads up, and.. it's not just My opinion! if My recipes are good or bad.. but rather a small group of close friends and I dip into what I create and we chat about it.. Just.. not here. Why? most the time I am mobile, or not online, no access etc. Wish that was not so.. I do, I miss a few of you guys and remember our chats from a few years ago.

My average recipe nowadays comes from .67% and goes up to around 4% total flavoring! I can taste it, others have tasted it.. and I do know there are people out there, that say they can't taste things this low. So allow me this.. kill me later! ;)

Killing your taste buds can happen thru various things you put into your body [[from smoking for too many years to the food drinks lifestyles or even medicines..]] some may never ever come back.. others might come and go.. or develop a sensitivity or actually pick a flavor and tell you, you will never taste this again like you used to.

You can walk your tastebuds back down to a lower amount, just like with nic, it takes time and step downs, but also desire to do so.. Some don't want to and continue to use the same standard lines of flavor and swear off newer lines.. It's all fine and really.. up to the one that has to vape it.

Guess what I am saying and attempting to not digress is this: go do your thing.. posting a rant is fine.. gota let it out sometime, as some of the loudest mixers might not suit others.. however.. show what you know.. start contributing! Sharing recipes, or even a flavor discussion on pickle juice.. what I am saying is go do it! :)

I know this thread isn't aimed at me.. at least I hope not.. but if it is lmao.. I really don't care.. I do all I do for the love of what I find.. I suggest you guys do just that too.. who knows.. there might be even more of you out there that needs the support ;)

You're definitely by yourself on this. My standard starting % on most flavorings is 10%, and I'll work up or down (mostly up) from there.

Hey @Larry J .. Are you who I think you are?? I do know you or?? Just curious..

and btw... if I have to steep for longer than 5 days.. something is wrong. ;)

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Aside from the slight disagreement going on, I'd like to say, yes you can overdo it with too high of percentages on flavors. But with MOST flavors, that's like 15% and up. Sometimes not even then. I have a few that taste great at 20%. But remember, it's all about what YOU want and like!

Using ultras and or FLV... yeah I have seen bad mixes even at 7% total flavoring.. what kills me is a review off ecx using 13% of one flavoring from flv in a recipe.. no damn way.. sorry but not sorry.. all flavors do have thresholds.. areas where they will mute out, distort, lose flavor notes, or just leave a chem trail in your mouth.. Damn Zombie mixers.. ;)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Well, the shills are out there, it's common knowledge, but I don't agree with every word any of them says. I try things for myself because that's what we do. If any said shill says "Try this, it's the best thing since sliced bread!", I'm not one bit afraid to tell them they're nuts and have dead taste buds, but I don't. My "statement" is to either keep my money in my pocket or give it to someone else for something I know works for me. And the .02% flavors that cost a mere 17/18 bucks for a little 15ml bottle? Not in my arsenal, sorry, I can smell bullshit at 500 paces and I'm not biting on that one. Even if it's true, there's always the chance that I won't like it and my money is long gone by the time I figure that out. I prefer to ignore flavor politics and dance to the beat of my own drummer. And that's what any of us should do.

Even when we were smoking, we all chose the ones that made us happy. Full flavor folks weren't any "wronger" than the ultra light folks who weren't doing it any better than the menthol smokers - we just smoked. DIY is no different as far as tastes. If someone offers me something I don't like, I just smile, fill up another cuppa cheese, and do what makes me happy. I do me, you do you, they do them. Peace, love, and macaroni....

I think that is why I will always love the quote.. doobie doobie do :p

Attachments

• 32186747_1997897093860291_406847335528660992_n.jpg
    32186747_1997897093860291_406847335528660992_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 4

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
lmao... what a thread.. I wish I had the time to sit here all night and reply to each of you..
You are all wrong.. and you are all right.. :)

I know I do rep a company, and I do admit to being an affiliate. However!

I love to share recipes and ideas and for the last few years, my time here I have not been around. Excuse?
I do work. I do pay for flavors. Do I get freebies? Sure, I admit to it, from more than one company and more than 1 lab, as it is my job and has been for a few years, but... I also admit to knowing the difference in disliking a flavor because I am not a fan of said profile.. or.. I enjoy the crap out of it, and will buy a huge bottle. Same with my recipes. If they are good, I try to give a heads up, and.. it's not just My opinion! if My recipes are good or bad.. but rather a small group of close friends and I dip into what I create and we chat about it.. Just.. not here. Why? most the time I am mobile, or not online, no access etc. Wish that was not so.. I do, I miss a few of you guys and remember our chats from a few years ago.

My average recipe nowadays comes from .67% and goes up to around 4% total flavoring! I can taste it, others have tasted it.. and I do know there are people out there, that say they can't taste things this low. So allow me this.. kill me later! ;)

Killing your taste buds can happen thru various things you put into your body [[from smoking for too many years to the food drinks lifestyles or even medicines.. some may never ever come back.. others might come and go.. or develop a sensitivity or actually pick a flavor and tell you, you will never taste this again like you used to.

You can walk your tastebuds back down to a lower amount, just like with nic, it takes time and step downs, but also desire to do so.. Some don't want to and continue to use the same standard lines of flavor and swear off newer lines.. It's all fine and really.. up to the one that has to vape it.

Guess what I am saying and attempting to not digress is this: go do your thing.. posting a rant is fine.. gota let it out sometime, as some of the loudest mixers might not suit others.. however.. show what you know.. start contributing! Sharing recipes, or even a flavor discussion on pickle juice.. what I am saying is go do it! :)

I know this thread isn't aimed at me.. at least I hope not.. but if it is lmao.. I really don't care.. I do all I do for the love of what I find.. I suggest you guys do just that too.. who knows.. there might be even more of you out there that needs the support ;)

Hey @Larry J .. Are you who I think you are?? I do know you or?? Just curious..

and btw... if I have to steep for longer than 5 days.. something is wrong. ;)
You make wonderful points friend. As the OP I was focusing on our newest DIYers, so they didn't get caught up in some non-existent, silent, unwritten brand/percentage rules. And as you and I have both said, it's all about YOU, and your taste of things. I used to sell juice (before the FDAs interference) and my customers all asked why my juice was so flavorful in comparison to "store bought" juice. I simply explained my technique in comparison to the economics of many store bought juices. It earned me much repeat business. And as a disclaimer; I represent no labs, suppliers, flavor industry members as a whole, or vape industry affiliates. I'm a disabled retired combat veteran. I buy all my stuff, review nothing (except some commentary on this forum), and receive no compensation from anyone (other than my monthly vape budget my wife allows me lol). So if a flavor sucks, I throw it out, and joke's on me. But I do me, so you all reading this; do you!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
You make wonderful points friend. As the OP I was focusing on our newest DIYers, so they didn't get caught up in some non-existent, silent, unwritten brand/percentage rules. And as you and I have both said, it's all about YOU, and your taste of things. I used to sell juice (before the FDAs interference) and my customers all asked why my juice was so flavorful in comparison to "store bought" juice. I simply explained my technique in comparison to the economics of many store bought juices. It earned me much repeat business. And as a disclaimer; I represent no labs, suppliers, flavor industry members as a whole, or vape industry affiliates. I'm a disabled retired combat veteran. I buy all my stuff, review nothing (except some commentary on this forum), and receive no compensation from anyone (other than my monthly vape budget my wife allows me lol). So if a flavor sucks, I throw it out, and joke's on me. But I do me, so you all reading this; do you!

Issue is.. just telling someone to go do themselves lol.. 90% of the time, that will Not work.. not the way we all would like it to.. I know, I deal with a lot of new mixers and enjoy it a ton.. the first thing I say, and I post this everywhere, even for older mixers!!! I know.. I tried it with a few guys and they thought omg, what did I walk into.. :p Funny to me at the time, but what a way to blow a first impression that still gives every one of us laughs :p I do me just fine, without anyone else lmao.. ;) Indeed! I dont depend on anyone paying me or not.. but it is appreciated when it does happen. Another hint I constantly give is this..

No matter the manufacture.. no matter the recipe.. forget it all.. pick out what you can afford to play with.. take it as low as possible.. and that is around .2% for most companies.. and work up until you can taste the flavor.. Take notes.. I cant taste it here, but I can at .75% or this flavor tastes like dirty sox on the furnace, burning up.. but try it super low is my point.. and raise it to where YOU like it.. that is all.. from there, you can piece your own recipes together. Never mind the millions of free ones online.. half of those will never meet expectations and bad mixers teaching others how to mix, only creates armies of more bad mixers, posting and sharing those bad mixes and on and on and on... yea..

The lower you go, and work up.. while keeping your notes.. over the years you develop your own flavor books, from all sorts of companies, or if you stick to just one company, the main thing is you are using your best tool you have.. your taste buds.. not mine or Joe Blows.. but your own. You always have an index of the flavors you use and enjoy and can create recipes even without mixing them and know they will at least turn out half way decent, to you! Plus, this way you don't have a rant that omg so and so said use this at 5% and look at me, blown $ or I hate this flavor.. it's simple.. if you are unsure on buying a flavor, don't.. if you want it, do.. but there should never be anyone you hold hostage over a flavor or flavor line you hate.. ;)

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Issue is.. just telling someone to go do themselves lol.. 90% of the time, that will Not work.. not the way we all would like it to.. I know, I deal with a lot of new mixers and enjoy it a ton.. the first thing I say, and I post this everywhere, even for older mixers!!! I know.. I tried it with a few guys and they thought omg, what did I walk into.. Funny to me at the time, but what a way to blow a first impression that still gives every one of us laughs I do me just fine, without anyone else lmao.. ;) Indeed! I dont depend on anyone paying me or not.. but it is appreciated when it does happen. Another hint I constantly give is this..

No matter the manufacture.. no matter the recipe.. forget it all.. pick out what you can afford to play with.. take it as low as possible.. and that is around .2% for most companies.. and work up until you can taste the flavor.. Take notes.. I cant taste it here, but I can at .75% or this flavor tastes like dirty sox on the furnace, burning up.. but try it super low is my point.. and raise it to where YOU like it.. that is all.. from there, you can piece your own recipes together. Never mind the millions of free ones online.. half of those will never meet expectations and bad mixers teaching others how to mix, only creates armies of more bad mixers, posting and sharing those bad mixes and on and on and on... yea..

The lower you go, and work up.. while keeping your notes.. over the years you develop your own flavor books, from all sorts of companies, or if you stick to just one company, the main thing is you are using your best tool you have.. your taste buds.. not mine or Joe Blows.. but your own. You always have an index of the flavors you use and enjoy and can create recipes even without mixing them and know they will at least turn out half way decent, to you! Plus, this way you don't have a rant that omg so and so said use this at 5% and look at me, blown $ or I hate this flavor.. it's simple.. if you are unsure on buying a flavor, don't.. if you want it, do.. but there should never be anyone you hold hostage over a flavor or flavor line you hate.. ;)
Agreed Smoky!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wish all flavor suppliers listed recommended percentages because the Holiday flavors I use are recommended at 15%.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow, DIY is serious business. Can you guys tell me how much coffee grounds I should use to get me through this thread? I don't wanna use too much or too little. I've heard Maxwell house is the best because you only have to use a spoonful.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, DIY is serious business. Can you guys tell me how much coffee grounds I should use to get me through this thread? I don't wanna use too much or too little. I've heard Maxwell house is the best because you only have to use a spoonful.
Well, you can use this guy's heaping spoonful for $1.29, or you can use that guy's moderate spoonful for $2.50, OR you can use a mere 3 tiny grounds of that other guy's coffee for $20, guaranteed results or you're doing it wrong. ;)

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, you can use this guy's heaping spoonful for $1.29, or you can use that guy's moderate spoonful for $2.50, OR you can use a mere 3 tiny grounds of that other guy's coffee for $20, guaranteed results or you're doing it wrong. ;)
:giggle: Well, those don't coincide with what I like to use, so I'm just going to say it, You don't know what you're talking about TP. MAXWELL HOUSE IS THE GREATEST COFFEE EVER and I use 4 cups of grounds and buy them by the pallet.

(This message is sponsored by Maxwell house and it's affiliates. I am a paid actor.)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:giggle: Well, those don't coincide with what I like to use, so I'm just going to say it, You don't know what you're talking about TP. MAXWELL HOUSE IS THE GREATEST COFFEE EVER and I use 4 cups of grounds and buy them by the pallet.

(This message is sponsored by Maxwell house and it's affiliates. I am a paid actor.)
But...but...YOU need to understand that since I was paid to sponsor these coffee grounds their use has superceded any and all common sense practices and completely negated the need for your budget. THEY'RE DAMN GOOD, USE 'EM!! :eek:

VU Sponsors