Become a Patron!

DIY, but can't taste it

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what's going on so I have a quick question I have been for a few months now and I started doing DIY for my vape juice. I've made a few recipes that have turned out fairly good, they smell Rich and sweet however when I actually vape them I can't taste a damn thing, it just tastes like I'm vaping just straight VG.

Now the tricky part is when I go to a vape shop and buy some eLiquid from them and stick it in the same tank and coil I can taste that very very well. I have also gave some of the juice I made to a few friends and they love it. They all got the same batch so I have no clue what to think.

I just took it to a vape ship where I buy the juice I can taste. And they love it but don't know why I can't taste it. Can anyone help me with this issue? Am I missing something? Oh and I also made a batch without nicotine just in case the batch is bad or my pallet can't handle it and same results.

Thanks yall

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU, but I don't have an answer to your dilemma.....:vino:

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vape tongue. When you vape the same flavor or flavor base alot you start not being able to taste it. Pick a whole different type of flavor to puff on for a while, and keep changing it up.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm with @Whiskeywarrior, vapors tongue, aka taste bud fatigue (oh yes it exists, just like being nose deaf to certain smells you smell all the time, think how you smelled to others when you smoked but you couldn't smell it yourself, senses deaden/deafen to same stimulus all the time).

1) If you are making a custom PG/VG blend, generally above a 90% VG, guess what all that VG is coating in your body, really think about that.
2) You mentioned rich and sweet, well sorry to say, especially custards and other bakery savory flavors create vape tongue "Big" time, those creamy elements, compounded with high VG also coat taste buds, sweet cinnamons, your entire desert, bakery, savory categories are major offenders here.

Remedies:

1) Switch to an alternate all day vape flavor for a while, you already state this helps, but look outside your comfort zone also. Cinnamon Red Hot flavors, citruses, Cucumber flavor with a slight spearmint and a mild but sweet fruit flavor (the spearmint and fruit mask over the cucumber tones but cucumber is a great taste bud coating cutter, the spearmint helps re-awaken the tastebuds as well), the citruses and hot cinnamon being slightly acidic, that acidic nature cuts away and cleanses taste bud coatings
2) Drink a couple glasses of orange juice during the day (citrus acidic cleansing like listed above), also drink plenty of water throughout the day, here in Phoenix in the desert due to my vaping I drink 50% over what is recommended, gallon of water intake is suggested I drink 1 1/2 gallons throughout the day, dehydration which PG and VG also cause as they bond to moisture, can cause vapors tongue.
3) If all else fails when you can't taste anything, vape on unflavored PG/VG with your Nic level, trust me its not offensive, 70% of what I vape in a day is unflavored, its sweet with a slight peppery tone, but reminiscent of smoke a Marlboro Light or Ultra Light.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Flavor info would help here. Certain high-intensity flavors can cause taste bud burnout in short order.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vapers tongue doesn't sound right if you DO taste store-bought juice as always, and just not your own.

So tell us what your recipes were - and also what pre-made juices you're buying, just in case there may be a clue...

what's going on so I have a quick question I have been for a few months now and I started doing DIY for my vape juice. I've made a few recipes that have turned out fairly good, they smell Rich and sweet however when I actually vape them I can't taste a damn thing, it just tastes like I'm vaping just straight VG.

Now the tricky part is when I go to a vape shop and buy some eLiquid from them and stick it in the same tank and coil I can taste that very very well. I have also gave some of the juice I made to a few friends and they love it. They all got the same batch so I have no clue what to think.

I just took it to a vape ship where I buy the juice I can taste. And they love it but don't know why I can't taste it. Can anyone help me with this issue? Am I missing something? Oh and I also made a batch without nicotine just in case the batch is bad or my pallet can't handle it and same results.

Thanks yall

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the latest one I made that just tastes like I am vaping air. And if I put nicotine in there will depend on what kind of throat hit I get. I will have to try the 50/50. Unflavored. tmp_20884-20170221_211043511985112.png

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Here is the latest one I made that just tastes like I am vaping air. And if I put nicotine in there will depend on what kind of throat hit I get. I will have to try the 50/50. Unflavored. View attachment 75020

Yep, strawberries and cream/strawberries and custard/strawberry cheesecake type liquids.
1) High VG content
2) Cream Whipped Flavoring
3) Sweet Cream Flavoring
4) Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Flavoring

Super Sweet Creamy Savory Flavor, I'd be flavor deaf to it after about 3months ADVing it, been there with Suicide Bunny's Mother's Milk, Cutwood's Unicorn Milk and many other similar liquids toooooo many times. Maybe look at something with a rasberry or sour berries tone, dropping your creamy ingredients down by about 50% or so if you are needing that creamy tone, PG/VG ratio could stay the same being your nic base is PG based and you are at about a 25PG/75VG ratio it looks like (thats including the flavorings to the PG ratio).

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If your accustomed to the flavors of brick-mortar juice, you'll need to jack your strawberry percentages way up.

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the thing that recipe I just made for the first time on Sunday. And vaped it for the first time on monday. So I never have got the full flavor of it at all. The one I vape on a regular is summers blast from frankin juice. And I just got done vaping it a bit and it seems like all I am getting from that now is a sugar flavor. So off to make the 5050 blend unflavored

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If THAT juice is tasting off too - then it's probably your taste buds. Flush em with water, or try a couple of the other "vapers tongue" cures you can google...

I don't know the strength of CAP strawberry - but many commercial juices run 20 or even 30% total flavoring - and your mix is (probably better) a lower total flavoring percentage. I'd actually stick with lower, and see if your taste buds get accustomed.

When I started DIY, the first really tasty mix I made was over 20% flavoring. I have slowly over time lowered the percentages of flavoring - so slowly I don't even notice. And now, it's still tasty, but at more like 13% flavoring, and less than half the nic. And the past few store-bought juices I tried were just "OVER saturated" - hated them. Your tastes "adjust" and evolve, too...

Here is the thing that recipe I just made for the first time on Sunday. And vaped it for the first time on monday. So I never have got the full flavor of it at all. The one I vape on a regular is summers blast from frankin juice. And I just got done vaping it a bit and it seems like all I am getting from that now is a sugar flavor. So off to make the 5050 blend unflavored

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So made the 50/50 blend of VG/PG with 6mg of nic at 60ml. And I have a milk frot her so I mixed the ever loving jebus out of it and then heat steeped it for about 20 minutes. Seems like rather than the paper flavor you talked about, well I am getting more of a chemical flavor. Could that be a result of bad nicotine?

I'm with @Whiskeywarrior, vapors tongue, aka taste bud fatigue (oh yes it exists, just like being nose deaf to certain smells you smell all the time, think how you smelled to others when you smoked but you couldn't smell it yourself, senses deaden/deafen to same stimulus all the time).

1) If you are making a custom PG/VG blend, generally above a 90% VG, guess what all that VG is coating in your body, really think about that.
2) You mentioned rich and sweet, well sorry to say, especially custards and other bakery savory flavors create vape tongue "Big" time, those creamy elements, compounded with high VG also coat taste buds, sweet cinnamons, your entire desert, bakery, savory categories are major offenders here.

Remedies:

1) Switch to an alternate all day vape flavor for a while, you already state this helps, but look outside your comfort zone also. Cinnamon Red Hot flavors, citruses, Cucumber flavor with a slight spearmint and a mild but sweet fruit flavor (the spearmint and fruit mask over the cucumber tones but cucumber is a great taste bud coating cutter, the spearmint helps re-awaken the tastebuds as well), the citruses and hot cinnamon being slightly acidic, that acidic nature cuts away and cleanses taste bud coatings
2) Drink a couple glasses of orange juice during the day (citrus acidic cleansing like listed above), also drink plenty of water throughout the day, here in Phoenix in the desert due to my vaping I drink 50% over what is recommended, gallon of water intake is suggested I drink 1 1/2 gallons throughout the day, dehydration which PG and VG also cause as they bond to moisture, can cause vapors tongue.
3) If all else fails when you can't taste anything, vape on unflavored PG/VG with your Nic level, trust me its not offensive, 70% of what I vape in a day is unflavored, its sweet with a slight peppery tone, but reminiscent of smoke a Marlboro Light or Ultra Light.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
most brick and mortar juice is like fast food...they load them with flavorings and sweetners...

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
I agree, it could be vape tongue. You should be able to taste those flavors at those %. Lots of good ideas so far but to add- I've found drinking coffee helps as well as vaping menthol flavored juice. Even just switching up flavors can help 'reset' your taste buds.

If you have these flavors try this recipe at 70vg/30pg it's one of my favorite strawberry custard blends and just as good as any of the commercial stuff I've bought. The Strawberry is strong at first, but it holds up after a long steep. I've still got a bottle that I mixed 5 or 6 weeks ago and it's still good. Strawberry is one of those flavors that can easily be drowned out by creams and custards.

Bavarian Cream (TFA) 1%
Graham Cracker v1 (CAP) 1%
Strawberry (Ripe) (TFA) 6%
Sweet Strawberry (CAP)
4% (or TFA Strawberry if you prefer)
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)
8.5%

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will have to give that one a shot once I get the taste to come back. Thanks

I agree, it could be vape tongue. You should be able to taste those flavors at those %. Lots of good ideas so far but to add- I've found drinking coffee helps as well as vaping menthol flavored juice. Even just switching up flavors can help 'reset' your taste buds.

If you have these flavors try this recipe at 70vg/30pg it's one of my favorite strawberry custard blends and just as good as any of the commercial stuff I've bought. The Strawberry is strong at first, but it holds up after a long steep. I've still got a bottle that I mixed 5 or 6 weeks ago and it's still good. Strawberry is one of those flavors that can easily be drowned out by creams and custards.

Bavarian Cream (TFA) 1%
Graham Cracker v1 (CAP) 1%
Strawberry (Ripe) (TFA) 6%
Sweet Strawberry (CAP)
4% (or TFA Strawberry if you prefer)
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)
8.5%

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

So it's a new juice, but have you been vaping the base flavors alot? More importantly do you have a cold at the moment? Any loss of smell diminishes taste.

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just made the flavor last Saturday or Sunday. and only been vaping since the last week of December. Switched straight from smoking cigarettes. I don't have a cold or anything like that.this is why it is so weird to me.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember @AndriaD saying when she quit smoking, it had made her taste buds so dull, that she had to use around 20% flavoring to taste anything. Try mixing a 10ml at that and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I remember @AndriaD saying when she quit smoking, it had made her taste buds so dull, that she had to use around 20% flavoring to taste anything. Try mixing a 10ml at that and see what happens.

So I started the mix at 30% and that gave a chemical flavor. (Not just for me but for my friend I made it for..) so I stepped it down in 5% increments and ended with 10%to 13% was the magic number that seemed to work good.

I stopped by my local vape shop and talked to them and they gave me a new juice they are making (melon ice) and they said it was super high in menthol. And I could taste everything. So I think it is just a matter of time.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Must be some cool people at the shop u go to. I was good friends with people at my local shop until I started making my own juice. Now they're like, fuck you lol

mysterious-moe

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Must be some cool people at the shop u go to. I was good friends with people at my local shop until I started making my own juice. Now they're like, fuck you lol

Lol they are cool people. The owner is who got me all set up with everything. And I buy all my coils and some juice there. I did tell them I was making some of my own stuff but I am not looking to be their next competition, if you get a chance look up "frankin juice" he makes some good shit

VU Sponsors