Become a Patron!

Diy clapton machine daydream

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bouncing an idea around in my head and hopefully someone with more electronics/robotics background can give their $.02.

The basics of what I wanna try are 2 hobby motors attached to the same power source face to face (with opposite polarity)with a switch of some kind (ideally with a variable speed instantaneous control ie a cordless drill trigger). With a plate on each motor, facing eachother, with 2 holes for fused clapton cores.

In essence making a lathe with 2 driven sides.

Basically wanna eliminate the passive side (swivels) from the equasion. Still would, in theory, use a hand to control the wrap wire. But not end up with the few twists that always happen (or the many twists that happen on a bad day.)

Idk if this is a pipedream. If the cheap motors, attached to the same power source, are consistent enough in rpm's to not twist the core wires?

Any feedback from those smarter than me?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
cca0d10ecaaaf864bab035b07647b345.jpg

Amateur schematic

Edit-positive would splice to negative, not pos to pos. to reverse polarity on one motor.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Examples? Other than the daedalus type setups?

Watched the video on those. Twisted the hell outta fused claptons. Plus, if that is what i was looking for, could make one with $5 worth of hardware.

Is there something with 2 active, synchronized sides like I suggested?

I can build better fused than shown in the video. And most twists come out in coil wrapping. I just wanna have mint wire from the get-go. I am good with the drill and swivels. Just has to be a better way.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh there are commercial claptoning machines. Do you think UD makes all their clapton wire by hand?
The feedrate for the claptoning winder would have to be pretty precise.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i have the daedalus and its amazing perfect fused claptons and makes building aliens easy

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Absolutely there are commercial machines. But they make miles of wire on them. I need something that can make 8" of wire at a time. And, fused claptons (or multi core claptons) in particular.

What does the feedrate mean?

My guess as to what you mean by feedrate, and my original concern, is the ability to precisely synchronize the 2 (cheap) motors. And hoping someone with more experience than I with such things can chime in.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have the daedalus and its amazing perfect fused claptons and makes building aliens easy

Glad you like it. And that it actually works for you.

Does it twist your cores? Cuz the one promo video i watched had at least 1 twist per inch in the final fused.

Amazed they even put that video out there. And why I am sceptical of it.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
do you mean the cores over lap each other? no i have not ever had that problem but when making very long fused clapton wires it gets some bends in it but the cores dont over lap real easy to get them out usually i dont even bother to straighten it it kind of just lays its self the way you want when wrapping your coil. its a great device a little over priced in my opinion but for some one like me who has never built before ever besides basic macro coils i can say it makes it super easy three days after having this device all my rda and rtas had aliens i hand built myself using it!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
do you mean the cores over lap each other? no i have not ever had that problem but when making very long fused clapton wires it gets some bends in it but the cores dont over lap real easy to get them out usually i dont even bother to straighten it it kind of just lays its self the way you want when wrapping your coil. its a great device a little over priced in my opinion but for some one like me who has never built before ever besides basic macro coils i can say it makes it super easy three days after having this device all my rda and rtas had aliens i hand built myself using it!

Cool. Glad it works for you.

Yeah most twists can be worked out.

Just want to try to make something impossible to twist the wires.

Did you see the final product in the video? Hopefully your finished wire doesn't do that. And if it doesnt, maybe it is worth it.

Would be way cooler if they just sold the jig though.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
o wow that does look bad but i dont think the cores are over lapping in those twits though its just twist in the finished wire its self. also I love using 40 g n80 for outer wrap but if you tighten the bolt to much on the spring it will snap that thin wire thats another con you still have to learn how tight to make the spring and bolt depending on gauge of outer wrap

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool. Glad it works for you.

Yeah most twists can be worked out.

Just want to try to make something impossible to twist the wires.

Did you see the final product in the video? Hopefully your finished wire doesn't do that. And if it doesnt, maybe it is worth it.

Would be way cooler if they just sold the jig though.
they actually do just sell the jig now and it comes with claps swivels and the little tube that keeps three cores side by side like for aliens. it has eveything but the drill

Waffle Baron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

mikekscholz

Member For 4 Years
I've been tossing this idea around as well but it kind of fell to the wayside as my freehand skills got better, but syncing the motors would be a nightmare... It would be better to have a single motor with a drive shaft running to each bearing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Took a little modification and trial & error but made a daedalus style jig.

After modifications, it ripped throug a fused clapton and really made a nice wire. Had to back out a few twists, but they were consistent twists so easy to fix. Super tight wraps. Post the hardware used in a bit. But pretty happy with it.

My version of the machine @Waffle Baron posted is still in the test phase. Much more complicated than this one.
IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0401.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Base is obviously a ziplok disposable tupperware.

The spool post goes, bottom to top:
3" machine screw 1/4"
1/4" washer
Tupperware
1/4" washer
Fender washer
Nylon spacer (to fit the spool arbor. Free play is bad)
Wrap wire spool with spool tamer
Fender washer
Spring
Fender washer
1/4" nut. Wingnut would be better.

Drilled holes in tupperware (small, like 1/16") directly across from eachother at the height of my drill chuck when resting on its side. Had problems with wire slapping causing an inconsistent feed. So contained the wires by supergluing a section of drinking straw centered over the holes.

Tried to make the guide that the wrap wire follows more complicated than necessary. Just a 45* drilled hole with a 1/4" bit works perfectly.

Coletrain182

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Base is obviously a ziplok disposable tupperware.

The spool post goes, bottom to top:
3" machine screw 1/4"
1/4" washer
Tupperware
1/4" washer
Fender washer
Nylon spacer (to fit the spool arbor. Free play is bad)
Wrap wire spool with spool tamer
Fender washer
Spring
Fender washer
1/4" nut. Wingnut would be better.

Drilled holes in tupperware (small, like 1/16") directly across from eachother at the height of my drill chuck when resting on its side. Had problems with wire slapping causing an inconsistent feed. So contained the wires by supergluing a section of drinking straw centered over the holes.

Tried to make the guide that the wrap wire follows more complicated than necessary. Just a 45* drilled hole with a 1/4" bit works perfectly.

Dude that is sick!! Gonna have to try it out!! Great job and thank you for sharing!!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude that is sick!! Gonna have to try it out!! Great job and thank you for sharing!!

Yeah no problem. Worked really well. Surprised me a bit. Not a single miniscule gap in the wraps. Let me know if it works out for you. Or if ya have any questions on the build.

Coletrain182

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah no problem. Worked really well. Surprised me a bit. Not a single miniscule gap in the wraps. Let me know if it works out for you. Or if ya have any questions on the build.

Will do thanks!

VU Sponsors