Become a Patron!

DIY Juices for Tank vs Dripper

Munkz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’ve been Diy’ing for about 2 months now and have finally mastered a few ejuices that I enjoy.
I purchased a RDA to make it easier to sample new ejuices I make and have been using it for the past month.

My problem is I recently bought a new big baby beast before the TPD kicks in and when I fill my tank with my ejuices they taste very very muted.
I fully understand flavour and clouds are more enhanced on a dripper but I don’t ever remembering my old big baby beast tasting this bland.

I also filled my Gf’s Smok 22 pen with my ejuices and they taste muted too.
I don’t have this problem with her store bought ejuices.

My question is; how can I improve my ejuice to taste better in a tank?
I usually make juices in higher VG. 75/25, 80/20. Could that be the problem?

Do I need to lower the VG?
Do I need to increase the flavour concentrates?
Load it up with sweetener?

Will greatly appreciate any advice.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I find most, if not all commercial juice to be way over the top with the flavorings and/or sweeteners. My mixes taste pretty much the same whether in an RDA, or tank. The flavor is more intense with the RDA, but I'd never say my juices is muted in a tank to the point that I can't taste it, or find it enjoyable. Having said that, I'd recommend trying increasing the flavor percentages slightly and see if that helps. I mix my juices 20PG/80VG exclusively.

Munkz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks @Markw4mms you think 0.5% increase on all concentrates is reasonable?
It's going to be quite difficult to judge, as the recipes use different brands, they have different concentrate levels. e.g TFA vs INW vs FA.

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had the same experiencce you are. My recommendation is to up the flavoring by 10-20%. For example total of 1ml or 1gram of flavoring up it to 1.1 or 1.2. I also go from 70vg 30pg to 6040 or 5050 depending on the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Imo it's not the juice it's the build mod or user.....

Imo the loss of flavor is the build and how it's being vaped.....

IMO dripper are only better at Making clouds. For me they are the least flavorful of my atties.
For me the difference between bland and flavorful is the wick coil and airflow. And most often too much power.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My question is; how can I improve my ejuice to taste better in a tank?
I usually make juices in higher VG. 75/25, 80/20. Could that be the problem?

I'm using a tank but running 80/20VG MTL at 8-10 watts, contact coil at 1.8 ohms.
Seems the bottom fed air flow gives me better flavor than the side, or top air flow devices.
Getting enough flavor for my tastes anyway.
You could try a 50/50 mix and see if the flavor improves some.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Munkz Do you use factory coils or rebuild? I'm not familiar with the Smok BB series of tanks as I only use RTAs or RDTAs when I use tanks. That being said, when you make your own coils you have control and can make adjustments. If your Beast came with the rebuildable deck, try using that. Another advantage to rebuildable tanks is cost saving over factory coils.

Long story short, I don't change any of my mixes for tanks or for RDAs.

Munkz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the advice guys.
@gopher_byrd Totally forgot about the rebuidable that came with the tank. It also comes with 2 stocks so was planning to ruin them first before I rebuild. I think that will solve my problem for myself.

However I'd still like to create juices for my girlfriend and mates and they use tanks. So i'll try @Heabob advice and lower the VG. maybe try 60/40 and see if it makes any difference.

OOOFLAVORS13

Unlisted Vendor
Where are you buying your flavor concentrates from? Maybe try out different flavor concentrates companies. I use a tank and normally mix with a high VG, sometimes 10/90 vg/pg but thats cause the concentrates i use are very strong.

Munkz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@OOOFLAVORS13 I buy my concentrates from Chefsflavour.co.uk. Got my base and nic from Darkstarvapour.co.uk.

For example I mixed @Squonk 's amazing strawberry icecream. Amazing on RDA very mute in my tank.

Shisha Strawberry(INW) 2%
VBIC(CAP) 4%
Fresh Cream(FA) 1%
Shisha Vanilla(INW) .75%

Feels like I'm the only one that is having this problem. hmm..

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I find the same problem with a tank; I used to love my Kayfuns, but now that I'm so used to my Achilles, I have to take pretty drastic measures to get any flavor from a Kayfun -- increase flavoring AND wattage, if I want to vape it in a Kayfun, or I taste nothing.

You didn't realize how muted the tank was, until you got used to the clear flavor from an RDA -- it spoils ya. :D

Andria

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I find the same problem with a tank; I used to love my Kayfuns, but now that I'm so used to my Achilles, I have to take pretty drastic measures to get any flavor from a Kayfun -- increase flavoring AND wattage, if I want to vape it in a Kayfun, or I taste nothing.

You didn't realize how muted the tank was, until you got used to the clear flavor from an RDA -- it spoils ya. :D

Andria
makes me want to break out my kayfun lol.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I havent used a tank in a long time just because I havent found a tank that leaks less that my dripper lol. Im stuck in my ways now and I have to have my wide open air flow but Ive noticed a lot of the tanks now do a much better job getting flow and better flavor. a lot of the people I make juice for that use tanks are able to use max VG compared to a couple years ago. I made some 96/4 for a friend just a couple days ago that uses a tank. I do miss they way a lot of the flavor art flavors tasted in a cheapo cleromizer or kayfun.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Turning your wattage up while using your tank will help too.

My gf runs a baby beast at 30 watts whereas I run my rda/rta's at 75-85. I can't taste anything from her setup.

I assume you're using the same watts between the two so if you want to keep it that way, this isn't the right solution.

Edit: use the RBA and never look back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VU Sponsors