Become a Patron!

DIY Liquid - Putting flavor/ essence on the last step

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
Hi All,
May i know whether putting the flavor/ essence and enhancer/modifier on the last step of mixing (first nicotine and then PG+VG).

Because i want to test some flavor/essence taste but i don't want to create big batch for that particular flavor only, so i was thinking that maybe i can mix nicotine, PG, VG first in larger batch and then separate it into smaller batch and add flavor (and modifier/enhancer if necessary)...anyone tried this before?

Please kindly excuse me if i post this on the wrong section

Best regards,

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put the nic in last, but I'm new at DIY.

Like to test-taste the flavor first.

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
I put the nic in last, but I'm new at DIY.

Like to test-taste the flavor first.
i was about to do the same but then i read many people said that if i put the nic wrongly then i might ruin the whole batch...and also, i think i quite have clear idea of my nic's proportion

How far can nic impacted a liquid, i kept wondering (especially since my intention of this batch is to create tobacco and/or coffee flav)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i was about to do the same but then i read many people said that if i put the nic wrongly then i might ruin the whole batch...and also, i think i quite have clear idea of my nic's proportion

How far can nic impacted a liquid, i kept wondering (especially since my intention of this batch is to create tobacco and/or coffee flav)
Really depends on the quality of the nic, and the mg's used. Some are harsh, others are tasteless.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Noted on that

Still curious about that flavor on the last step of mixing thing
I wouldn't, but there is no wrong or right way.....whatever suits you is all that counts.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
.....i was thinking that maybe i can mix nicotine, PG, VG first in larger batch and then separate it into smaller batch and add flavor (and modifier/enhancer if necessary)...anyone tried this before?

I have...several times and it works for me. But I'm often not too picky regarding my exact pg/vg ratio. I'll frequently have several different larger batches already made to choose from. If you are adding 1% of flavor into that smaller batch you have cut out or 12% of flavor; the resulting ending juice pg/vg ratio might have a significant difference ...to you.

Ron

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
I have...several times and it works for me. But I'm often not too picky regarding my exact pg/vg ratio. I'll frequently have several different larger batches already made to choose from. If you are adding 1% of flavor into that smaller batch you have cut out or 12% of flavor; the resulting ending juice pg/vg ratio might have a significant difference ...to you.

Ron
Interesting.
My intention is simply to 'acknowledge' the taste of the flavors and choose some that will suit my recipe,
Currently i might stick to 60-40 or 70-30 for each simple flavor trial. i will make a larger batch of the chosen flavor after that
Thank you.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi All,
May i know whether putting the flavor/ essence and enhancer/modifier on the last step of mixing (first nicotine and then PG+VG).

Because i want to test some flavor/essence taste but i don't want to create big batch for that particular flavor only, so i was thinking that maybe i can mix nicotine, PG, VG first in larger batch and then separate it into smaller batch and add flavor (and modifier/enhancer if necessary)...anyone tried this before?

Please kindly excuse me if i post this on the wrong section

Best regards,

You can do it this way although if you are going for a particular split like 70/30 you won't be able to since the concentrate % vary depending on the recipe you are trying and flavours are almost exclusively always suspended in PG so you may be lowering the amount of overall VG in the mix by the time you are done adding nic and flavours ...could try buying nic suspended in VG to counteract this although I've heard it doesn't last as long ...or add more VG to the base like 80/20 to counteract some of this again same problem with the split

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
You can do it this way although if you are going for a particular split like 70/30 you won't be able to since the concentrate % vary depending on the recipe you are trying and flavours are almost exclusively always suspended in PG so you may be lowering the amount of overall VG in the mix by the time you are done adding nic and flavours ...could try buying nic suspended in VG to counteract this although I've heard it doesn't last as long ...or add more VG to the base like 80/20 to counteract some of this again same problem with the split

Very interesting.
So what's the 'safest bet' for this, will 60-40 be safe for this kind of method? or maybe even 50-50?

Thanks!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Very interesting.
So what's the 'safest bet' for this, will 60-40 be safe for this kind of method? or maybe even 50-50?

Thanks!

What do you want to end up with ratio wise? After all said and done and you've added nic and flavours?
Also how much nic do you want to end up with% wise 3%?

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
What do you want to end up with ratio wise? After all said and done and you've added nic and flavours?
Also how much nic do you want to end up with% wise 3%?

So i'm thinking of making a 100ml 'base' of 6mg nicotine with 40-60 vg (34% PG and 60% VG according to calculator).

And then mix all of them and then split them into 10 of 10ml batch with flavors added accordingly.

What do you think? will it work?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So i'm thinking of making a 100ml 'base' of 6mg nicotine with 40-60 vg (34% PG and 60% VG according to calculator).

And then mix all of them and then split them into 10 of 10ml batch with flavors added accordingly.

Dammit sorry forgot to ask what is the base strength of the nic? 48mg/ml? And do you know what the nic is suspended in? Should say all this on the bottle

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
Dammit sorry forgot to ask what is the base strength of the nic? 48mg/ml? And do you know what the nic is suspended in? Should say all this on the bottle
Hi
The one i can find near my area is the RTS VAPES 100mg/ml

So on the recipe (PG VG and Nic only)
Nicotine juice 100 mg (100% PG) 6ml / 6%
PG 34ml / 34%
VG 60ml / 60%

and then from those batch i will split them into 10 @10ml each and put different flavor on each 10ml (each flavor has its recommended/suggested percentage to use so i will follow it initially) .

Thanks

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
How to work out diluting nic

(Desired Strength / Concentrated Nicotine Strength) x Bottle size (in milliliters) = Amount needed (in milliliters).

Nice and easy in your case as it's 100mg/ml and you want to make 100ml of this base mix

6 / 100 x100 = 6ml nic 6(%) (suspended in PG) (obviously don't put that much in 10ml samples you'll want only 0.6ml)

Ok most recipes that are FA flavours come out around the 5.5- 6.5% mark that I see

So going back to your original post using only VG/PG as a mix to add to stuff this isn't going to be exact but allow for roughly 14% extra PG going against the base mix with the nic at 6% and flavours this allows up to 8% concentrate level

So to maintain a 60/40 split (vg/pg) your gonna want about 74/26 base mix I reckon :) by the time you add flavours and nic all suspended in PG then you should have around you 60/40 split maybe slightly more VG in there but it'll be close to the target

Best bet is to do it all seperately as you go much more precise that way hehe

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
How to work out diluting nic

(Desired Strength / Concentrated Nicotine Strength) x Bottle size (in milliliters) = Amount needed (in milliliters).

Nice and easy in your case as it's 100mg/ml and you want to make 100ml of this base mix

6 / 100 x100 = 6ml nic 6(%) (suspended in PG) (obviously don't put that much in 10ml samples you'll want only 0.6ml)

Ok most recipes that are FA flavours come out around the 5.5- 6.5% mark that I see

So going back to your original post using only VG/PG as a mix to add to stuff this isn't going to be exact but allow for roughly 14% extra PG going against the base mix with the nic at 6% and flavours this allows up to 8% concentrate level

So to maintain a 60/40 split (vg/pg) your gonna want about 74/26 base mix I reckon :) by the time you add flavours and nic all suspended in PG then you should have around you 60/40 split maybe slightly more VG in there but it'll be close to the target

Best bet is to do it all seperately as you go much more precise that way hehe

Thanks KingPin!

This is great, will give it a try.

Wish me luck!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks KingPin!

This is great, will give it a try.

Wish me luck!
Good luck buddy let me know how it goes :) of all the thing in DIY nic is the one you have to be careful with check and double check your calculations ;)

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
Good luck buddy let me know how it goes :) of all the thing in DIY nic is the one you have to be careful with check and double check your calculations ;)
Well it might take around 3 weeks but i will certainly share it with you.

Thanks for the guidance and reminder!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I make a fairly good sized base mix with my desired level of PG/VG ratio and nic all the time. Then all I have to do is add the desired flavoring as needed for whatever volume I'm mixing up of a particular recipe. Easy Peasy and it works great!

As already noted, the final PG/VG ratio will be slightly skewed but it's close enough for my purposes.

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
I make a fairly good sized base mix with my desired level of PG/VG ratio and nic all the time. Then all I have to do is add the desired flavoring as needed for whatever volume I'm mixing up of a particular recipe. Easy Peasy and it works great!

As already noted, the final PG/VG ratio will be slightly skewed but it's close enough for my purposes.

Nice to know that some people already did and succeed this way. Thank you for sharing!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice to know that some people already did and succeed this way. Thank you for sharing!

You are most welcome.

I change flavors frequently so I don't normally mix up large amounts of any one recipe. I prefer having the base mix at the ready so I can mix up a new recipe by simply adding the associated flavors as needed. It works well for me. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I do the same thing. I keep 240ml of pg/vg and nic on hand. If I want to make a small sample of juice, it's so much faster. Then, if I happen to be in a hurry, and need to mix up a usual batch, then it's most of the way there.

Base mixes can be a real time saver. It does reduce the amount of nic in your final mix, but it's negligible.

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
You are most welcome.

I change flavors frequently so I don't normally mix up large amounts of any one recipe. I prefer having the base mix at the ready so I can mix up a new recipe by simply adding the associated flavors as needed. It works well for me. :)

That's one of my intention, after knowing the flavor of certain type then i can make several batches of different flavor for my personal usage!

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
I do the same thing. I keep 240ml of pg/vg and nic on hand. If I want to make a small sample of juice, it's so much faster. Then, if I happen to be in a hurry, and need to mix up a usual batch, then it's most of the way there.

Base mixes can be a real time saver. It does reduce the amount of nic in your final mix, but it's negligible.

Any certain trick on mixing the small batches? i'm planning to use some kind of magnetic stirrer for the big batch (base batch), but i don't know whether it's necessary to put the small batch of 10ml on that stirrer.

Thanks!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Any certain trick on mixing the small batches? i'm planning to use some kind of magnetic stirrer for the big batch (base batch), but i don't know whether it's necessary to put the small batch of 10ml on that stirrer.

Thanks!
I don't use any of the fancy shake and mix methods. I just shake them. A lot. When I mix a small sample, say 5-10ml, I'll mix it in a bottle a little bigger, just to have the extra shaking room. I have some 6ml bottles, and some 12 ml bottles. In my 240ml base mix, I'll usually mix that at 230- 235ml for the same reason.

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
I don't use any of the fancy shake and mix methods. I just shake them. A lot. When I mix a small sample, say 5-10ml, I'll mix it in a bottle a little bigger, just to have the extra shaking room. I have some 6ml bottles, and some 12 ml bottles. In my 240ml base mix, I'll usually mix that at 230- 235ml for the same reason.

Noted! Will give it a try.
Thanks!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Same as Huck

I just shake each concentrate and put in the flavour concentrates into the bottle give them a little shake together

Add the nic another little shake

Add the pg/vg wack on the lid shake it like a gooden

Boil the kettle, get a pan add a little cold water ...add the hot water and let the bottle sit in it (so it can stand) until water cooled ...shake again then vape it:)

Some recipes take a few days to steep (leave in the cupboard for the flavour to merge), other are shake and vape... the author normally points this out though

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
Same as Huck

I just shake each concentrate and put in the flavour concentrates into the bottle give them a little shake together

Add the nic another little shake

Add the pg/vg wack on the lid shake it like a gooden

Boil the kettle, get a pan add a little cold water ...add the hot water and let the bottle sit in it (so it can stand) until water cooled ...shake again then vape it:)

Some recipes take a few days to steep (leave in the cupboard for the flavour to merge), other are shake and vape... the author normally points this out though
Thanks KingPin! will give it a try later!

Well, if you want to sample 10 flavors at 10% concentration, then you'll want a total of 90mL of base fluid, 9mL per bottle. Then you'll add 1mL of flavoring, giving you a total of 10mL of each juice mix.

So if you want a VG60 blend, then of your 90mL, we want 54mL to be VG, and 36mL to be PG. The nicotine is a little more complicated. If your liquid nicotine is 100mg/mL, you'll want a 6% blend to hit 6mg, but remember that after you add flavoring, you'll have a total of 100mL of juice, so you want 6mL of nicotine in your base mix.

If your nicotine comes in a PG solution, subtract that 6mL from the 36mL of total PG you wanted in the base. So you'd mix your base with 6mL nicotinePG, 30mL PG, and 54mL of VG. If your nicotine is in a VG solution, then your base will be 6mL nicotineVG, 36mL PG, and 48mL VG. Now you have a base mix that's 60% VG, 40% PG, and 6mg/mL.

Now the only way to preserve your 60/40 blend is if the flavoring you use also happens to be 60/40. That's not likely to be true, but since it's only 10% of your mix, it won't alter your ratio too dramatically, no matter its specific composition. If your flavor is 100% PG, then you're adding 1mL PG to the 3.6mL PG and 5.4mL VG you started with. That means your final blend is 4.6mL PG and 5.4mL VG, so 46% PG. Going the other way, a 100% VG flavoring will give you a juice that's 64% VG. Many flavors also contain alcohol, so they won't actually be the full 100% of either base in any case.

Flavor concentrates do tend to favor PG though. Looking over my comparatively short list of flavors I own, most are 0-50% VG. That being the case, you could compensate a bit in your base mix, perhaps trading out 3-5mL of PG for extra VG. That'll make most of your final mixes closer to your VG60 target.

mamamiaw

Member For 2 Years
Well, if you want to sample 10 flavors at 10% concentration, then you'll want a total of 90mL of base fluid, 9mL per bottle. Then you'll add 1mL of flavoring, giving you a total of 10mL of each juice mix.

So if you want a VG60 blend, then of your 90mL, we want 54mL to be VG, and 36mL to be PG. The nicotine is a little more complicated. If your liquid nicotine is 100mg/mL, you'll want a 6% blend to hit 6mg, but remember that after you add flavoring, you'll have a total of 100mL of juice, so you want 6mL of nicotine in your base mix.

If your nicotine comes in a PG solution, subtract that 6mL from the 36mL of total PG you wanted in the base. So you'd mix your base with 6mL nicotinePG, 30mL PG, and 54mL of VG. If your nicotine is in a VG solution, then your base will be 6mL nicotineVG, 36mL PG, and 48mL VG. Now you have a base mix that's 60% VG, 40% PG, and 6mg/mL.

Now the only way to preserve your 60/40 blend is if the flavoring you use also happens to be 60/40. That's not likely to be true, but since it's only 10% of your mix, it won't alter your ratio too dramatically, no matter its specific composition. If your flavor is 100% PG, then you're adding 1mL PG to the 3.6mL PG and 5.4mL VG you started with. That means your final blend is 4.6mL PG and 5.4mL VG, so 46% PG. Going the other way, a 100% VG flavoring will give you a juice that's 64% VG. Many flavors also contain alcohol, so they won't actually be the full 100% of either base in any case.

Flavor concentrates do tend to favor PG though. Looking over my comparatively short list of flavors I own, most are 0-50% VG. That being the case, you could compensate a bit in your base mix, perhaps trading out 3-5mL of PG for extra VG. That'll make most of your final mixes closer to your VG60 target.

Sorry for the late reply, thank you for writing this.

Currently i'm still experimenting on small scales but all thoughts and consideration given here will certainly help on my future plan.

Best regards

VU Sponsors