DIY Nic Salts.

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - Recipes' started by FrostyMtl, May 12, 2017.

1. Mc viper

Mc viper New Member

Blog Posts:
    BA is also called E210 and it's a food preservative.

2. Adil DADA

Adil DADA New Member

Blog Posts:
    Can we fucin stop disxussing politics here?

3. pulsevape

pulsevape Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    you can....as far as I know the rest of us are free to do whatever the fuck we want.

4. GT_1955

GT_1955 Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    If you have access to scales that measure to 0.01g, then mixing BA into your nic base is the preferred method given that you probably need to heat it for it to dissolve completely. Note that when I received my BA from eBay, it had a bit of a smell to it, and even once mixed into the nic base it did so. I let it breathe for a couple of days before use, and I couldn't smell or taste it by then.

Because by adding BA to nic you are creating a new compound (?) ... nicotine benzoate ... then it shouldn't oxidise after that, but I would always mix up only enough for the forseeable future.

5. rainmakr

rainmakr New Member

Blog Posts:
    After reading this entire fascinating thread I was all set to convert my 50mL of 100mg/mL PG freebase in my freezer.. I was going to dissolve 3.75g (.75x5g) of BA in 50mL of warm VG, then mix it with the 50mL of my PG freebase. This would give me 100mL of 50/50 50mg/ml nic salt...? This way I avoid having to heat my nic averting degradation. Or can I just add the 3.75 BA to my freebase, shake it good until the BA dissolves and call it a day.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  6. GT_1955

Blog Posts:
    If you have read the patent, you'll see that JUUL used heat to fully dissolve the BA and so I have never tried dissolving the BA without heat ... but you can always try it ;) In the original mix I made, I dissolved my acid powder (in that case, citric acid) in heated VG then mixed that with my nic base and kept that at 55/60C for a 1/2 hour or so.

Please keep us informed how effective your method is, if you go that way ;)

7. Mc viper

Mc viper New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone!
    Last week I received the BA. Mine is slightly perfumed , I ordered it in a pharmacy. I joined it to PG and warmed up. It took less than 5 minutes to dissolve. I then combined it with the free base nicotine solution to obtain a concentration of 36 mg / ml. I then put the liquid in a kayfun mini, setting the power to 7w. I must say that despite the rather high strength of nicotine, it is very smooth for the throat. In less than 2 minutes I perceived the nicotinic buzz, both in the brain and at the physical level, much more satisfying than the usual free base nicotine. After a week I use it (20/30 puff per day) I did not find any problem.
    Thanks to all the members of this thread who introduced me to a product that otherwise I could never find in Italy.

David Wolf likes this.
  8. mkasera

mkasera New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious about the benzoic acid everyone is using. How pure is it?

USP grade BA from a pharma company is pretty expensive.

9. Mc viper

Mc viper New Member

Blog Posts:
    I paid it €4 for 100g but I don't know how pure it is... I bought it in a pharmacy.

10. mkasera

mkasera New Member

Blog Posts:
    David Wolf likes this.
  11. Mc viper

Mc viper New Member

Blog Posts:
  12. mkasera

mkasera New Member

Blog Posts:
    Does my nic have to be fresh? What if it is already partially oxidized? Will the reaction still happen?

13. virgos

virgos New Member

Blog Posts:
    Need some help here guys,
    I have pure nic (1000mg/ml) and also created the 10% BA solution (10g BA + 45g VG + 45g PG).
    I want to make a 100 mg/ml saltnic base (higher on VG as possible).
    How should I mix it?

14. virgos

virgos New Member

Blog Posts:
    Could you please clarify why does 10% BA is 138mg/ml BA?

15. rainmakr

rainmakr New Member

Blog Posts:
    Not entirely sure if what I am about to say is correct (someone correct me if i'm wrong)..
    If you already have pure nic and you want as high as possible VG final product, all you should have to do is dump your 10% solution, then:
    dissolve .75x10=7.5g of BA in 50ml of VG. Once cooled add another 50ml of VG and 10g of pure nic. This should yield ~100ml of 100mg/ml nic salts in 100% VG.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  16. Neunerball

Neunerball Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Is there a way of getting just the salts, not deluted in PG/VG?

Slydee007 likes this.
  17. Iggyikky

Iggyikky New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, wondering if anybody has some tips here;
    I've been reading up on this post for a while and finally decided to order some Benzoic acid from fastchem on ebay (99.9% purity) to give it a go.
    Came in a 100gr. plastic bottle and smellingit from this bottle seems to match the description I read earlier. It has a slight smell of something. Can't describe it but not pleasant.
    Did a first try to make a 50mg nic salt solution with 100mg nic base according to the formula written on the first page.
    The result seems fine to me. Final mix I used this 'nic salt base' in came out to 24mg/ml and though very smooth (arguably too smooth) the nic buzz is fast and noticeable.
    Now the problem is, it tastes like shit....
    I prepared the juice with Rhodonite (DIYorDIE seemed appropriate in this case :)) at the suggested 9.5% for the concentrate so it can't be the flavors.
    It actually tatses as it smelled when I heated up the liquid (VG in my case) to dissolve the BA in so I'm pretty sure that's what's causing it.
    Is this something you guys got as well? Is it maybe the BA that isn't the best quality? Any ways to mittigate this? I read somewhere earlier that a 'cap off' steep helped to remove the flavour but that hasn't worked after two days now. Maybe I should let the dissolved BA liquid air out on it's own before mixing it further into nic? Maybe there's flavors that do a better job at masking the BA flavor?
    I'm not expecting any wonders here, after all, it's purpose is for providing nic, flavor is for flavor atties with a nice 6mg liquid but at this point it's really bad.
    Any help or your experiences greatly appreciated.

18. GT_1955

Blog Posts:
    Yep. The explanation is here.

19. Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi all.

Please help me with this.

I have 100 ml. of 52 mg/ml PG nicotine base.

How many grams of citric acid should i use to make nicotine salt from this?

Thank you

20. pulsevape

Blog Posts:
    wow ..thers' quite a discussion on this on the ECF forum...from what I've been reading it's not so much a certain number but the guys who've been doing it use an electronic Ph tester to to bring the ph of the nic base up to a certain level and go from there.

21. Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @pulsevape

I think i have it (see http://www.vtvapor.com/recipes.html - Formerly Vermont Vapor)

If i want to make 100 ml of 52 mg/ml nicotine salt, based on Vermont Vapor recipe i do as follow:

1. Make a Citric Acid base - Mix 1 gram Citric Acid to 1 ml of destilled water, PG or VG and stir until fully desolved. (heating the CA base in short 10 second bursts in the micro owen, until its warm to the hand, will help disolve the CA).

2. Mix 0.0007566 CA base x 52 (mg/ml) x 100 (amount in ml of the PG base) = 3,93 ml.

So, if i add 3,93 ml. of the CT base to my 100 ml. of 52 mg/ml PG i will have 52 mg/ml Nicotine salt.

Atleast i think so..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  22. pulsevape

Blog Posts:
    yeah, one of the things people seem to have trouble with is getting the CA to dissolve in PG they have been recommending grinding the CA down some way to make it easier to dissolve and using heat to help dissolve it....CA seems to dissolve well in water but most people don't want water in their juice.

Coffeeholic likes this.
  23. Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic New Member

Blog Posts:
    Just made this.

Made a small test batch of 10 ml. 70/30 pg/vg, (10 mg/ml).

Added ~0.75 ml citric acid base (0.0007566 x 10 x 10 = 0,07566

Definitely a smoother vape.

24. Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yes, i read that aswell.

I used a DIY magnetic stirrer (really easy if anyone is interested http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Cheap-Portable-Magnetic-Stirrer/)

I had no water to the vg so this vorked really well for me. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  25. pulsevape

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna try a benzoic acid mix I think...people keep saying the CA nic salts gunk coils slightly faster than free base nic.

26. Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic New Member

Blog Posts:
    Cool. I'll post back after i've tried this a while.

Hopefully coils gunking up won't be a big problem. I can't get my hands on benzoic acid where i live.

27. Iggyikky

Iggyikky New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have been using benzoic acid and have not had problems with coils or wicks getting guncked or blocked. I'm an avid rayon user so result may be different on on cotton. Still haven't quite solved the flavor issue I had although it has improved by steeping over two weeks to a month. I'm hesitant to order some new benzoic acid, not knowing if this might be the issue. Besides, made a pretty big pilot batch so still going through that.

Pegleg Meg and Coffeeholic like this.
  28. CRAZY-I

CRAZY-I New Member

Blog Posts:
    If your benzoic acid has a smell, you need to do it.
    1. Recrystallization.
    2. Sublimation.

On YouTube you can find a video how to do it. it's very simple and fast enough.

Iggyikky and Pegleg Meg like this.
  29. CRAZY-I

CRAZY-I New Member

Blog Posts:
    You can do only sublimation, but it must be done 2 times.
    it is easier to make, than recrystallization.
    I already did it. the result is excellent.

Iggyikky and Pegleg Meg like this.
  30. ssbowtie1

ssbowtie1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Is this needed because the Benzoic isn't pure enough?

31. CRAZY-I

CRAZY-I New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yes and If your benzoic acid has a smell

32. Iggyikky

Iggyikky New Member

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the late reply. Been busy. Thanks! I'll give that a try. The GF is a lab technician and I have a chemical background as well. We shouldn't run into problems.

33. ssbowtie1

ssbowtie1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi all, is there any way to test the nicotine concentration nicotine in the salt nicotine that you buy from places like Nude Nicotine? I assume that standard titration kits won't work.

34. GT_1955

Blog Posts:
    Standard titration kits don't work, and I don't think any DIY solution will ... unless you have access to one of these babies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry

However, I'm no chemist ;)

35. Iggyikky

Iggyikky New Member

Blog Posts:
    Recrystallization worked out great. No more odor or taste left, very fine crystals. Helps with dissolving too.
    Think I will do this with all of the ba I get. Just to be sure.
    Process is so easy they actually use it to teach about (re-)crystalization.

36. Smoky Blue

Smoky Blue VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
  37. pulsevape

Blog Posts:
    could you post the youtube videos that explain these process.

38. CRAZY-I

CRAZY-I New Member

Blog Posts:
    All the processes specified in the video can be simplified. This is done very simply. You do not need special tools, all the actions can be done with the help of household utensils. I do not have a chemical laboratory, everything was done with a pair of measuring glass cups and an electric cooker.
    Recrystallization.

Sublimation.

newyork13 likes this.
  39. CRAZY-I

CRAZY-I New Member

Blog Posts:
    the one who wants, everything will turn out

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  40. virgos

virgos New Member

Blog Posts:
    Need some help,
    I have pure nic (1000mg/ml) and I want to make 1000ml of 100 mg/ml saltnic base (50/50 PG/VG).
    How much grams BA should I use?
    How much grams pure nic?
    How much grams PG and VG?
    Thank you in advance!

41. virgos

virgos New Member

Blog Posts:
    :bunny:
    Nobody know or can help? :(

42. GT_1955

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't make up a litre to start with, without you ever having tried it.

If you refer to the JUUL patent, for every 1 gramme of nicotine you'll require 0.75g of BA for full conversion (or for every mg of nic, 0.75mg of BA, less if you don't want full conversion) so 100mg/ml nic base will require 75mg BA ... for every ml

So ... assuming you'll only make 100ml (of 100mg/ml) as a large trial, the following should be accurate:

50ml of VG0
    40ml of PG0 (assumes the nic is counted as PG)
    10ml of 1000mg/ml nic "base"
    7.5g of BA (100ml x 100mg/ml x 0.75)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  43. virgos

virgos New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for your reply!
    50ml VG + 40ml PG + 10ml pure nic = 100ml
    Just to clarify, the BA don't take any volume in the final mix? 7.5g BA would dissolve totally in the solution without taking any volume???

44. GT_1955

Blog Posts:
    The BA will add to the volume I believe, but it will be minimal IMO, and I don't recall measuring it. Try it and see ;) measure the increase in volume and add to our knowledge by posting it :cheers:

Rossum likes this.
  45. GT_1955

Blog Posts:
    A small experiment this arvo, I added 75g of citric acid to 75ml of DW and the final volume (once dissolved) ended up at approx 115ml ... so yes, volume will be increased when adding your crystallised/powdered acid.

46. virgos

virgos New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks!
    Is there a way to know exactly how much each gram of dissolved BA will add to the volume?

47. GT_1955

Blog Posts:
    IF the BA closely resembles the CA experiment, then approx 0.65ml/g ... so for 7.5g of BA, then around 4.9ml. But, if you mix:

50ml of VG0
    10ml of 1000mg/ml nic "base"
    7.5g of BA (100ml x 100mg/ml x 0.75)
    and top up with PG0 to 100ml (approx 35ml) you take the volume increase of adding the BA out of the equation.