Become a Patron!

DIY Recipe Resources

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Which websites do you use for research and inspiration?

I, for example, really like the way http://e-liquid-recipes.com has been designed: if you build a database of flavors that you already have in "My flavor stash", you'll get a "What can I make?" button. Cool feature, wish my fridge had it!…

Now it's your turn. What are your favorite places? :ejuice:

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Which websites do you use for research and inspiration?

I, for example, really like the way http://e-liquid-recipes.com has been designed: if you build a database of flavors that you already have in "My flavor stash", you'll get a "What can I make?" button. Cool feature, wish my fridge had it!…

Now it's your turn. What are your favorite places? :ejuice:
I also use ELR, and some of the DIY groups on FB, but I get most of my inspiration right here on VU. We have some very talented DIY'ers here.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
We have some very talented DIY'ers here.
Indeed. I just wish this "knowledge base" was more user friendly. You know – user ratings, "what can I make" search, ingredient/replacement search, etc. Sometimes you have to read through dozens of pages of comments to find out that you didn't screw up, it's just that particular recipe requires a month of steeping… :blah:

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Indeed. I just wish this "knowledge base" was more user friendly. You know – user ratings, "what can I make" search, ingredient/replacement search, etc. Sometimes you have to read through dozens of pages of comments to find out that you didn't screw up, it's just that particular recipe requires a month of steeping… :blah:
Yes, ELR does have its advantages, but what you're asking for would probably be hard to implement on the forum. I really don't mind reading through several pages of comment as I almost always find tweaks that others have suggested, or tried that I find helpful. YMMV though.
ETA: I kinda take the ratings on ELR with a grain of salt anyway as I've seen countless recipes that only have one or two ratings and quite often only by the recipe submitter.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, ELR does have its advantages, but what you're asking for would probably be hard to implement on the forum.
I think it's safe to assume that there are quite a few web developers among forum members. It runs an unmodified generic software (hence the regular spambot attacks), so it should be relatively easy to find someone who could implement all of the above (and then some) as a plugin.

…on the other hand, it seems that the forum admin(s) are unable to fix the smiley panel problem nor solve the spambot issue, so you're probably right – hard to implement :teehee:
ETA: I kinda take the ratings on ELR with a grain of salt anyway as I've seen countless recipes that only have one or two ratings and quite often only by the recipe submitter.
Oh, even if it has 10 5-star reviews it probably means that the author has a big family or posted a link to some local forum :giggle:

…I think the ideal way of rating the recipes would've been the Amazon style: ratings and reviews, with ability to rate these reviews and reviewers. All that, of course, is not going to work without community, which ELR doesn't have: most people seem to use it as a calculator.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think it's safe to assume that there are quite a few web developers among forum members. It runs an unmodified generic software (hence the regular spambot attacks), so it should be relatively easy to find someone who could implement all of the above (and then some) as a plugin.

…on the other hand, it seems that the forum admin(s) are unable to fix the smiley panel problem nor solve the spambot issue, so you're probably right – hard to implement :teehee:

Oh, even if it has 10 5-star reviews it probably means that the author has a big family or posted a link to some local forum :giggle:

…I think the ideal way of rating the recipes would've been the Amazon style: ratings and reviews, with ability to rate these reviews and reviewers. All that, of course, is not going to work without community, which ELR doesn't have: most people seem to use it as a calculator.
Well, the forum is run on xenforo, you could browse their site and see if there are any plugins that would work, and pass it on to admins. I guess alternately posters could add a poll to their recipe posts using stars or numbers to rate it.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, the forum is run on xenforo, you could browse their site and see if there are any plugins that would work, and pass it on to admins. I guess alternately posters could add a poll to their recipe posts using stars or numbers to rate it.
Spent 3 minutes on their site, found "Showcase" add-on, which seems to be able to perform about 70% of needed tasks… but it's an abandonware. Another add-on, "Most liked posts", could really benefit VU, especially DIY section.

But we've swerved off topic… :zombie:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I mainly use the recipes I find here on VU. The ELR recipes were what I used first before I found VU & they were mostly a miss. The recipes sounded good but were meh. Been so happy with the recipes found here :inlove:

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I kinda take the ratings on ELR with a grain of salt anyway as I've seen countless recipes that only have one or two ratings and quite often only by the recipe submitter.

IMHO, the ELR rating system (stars) has evolved into two distinct patterns:
  • Recipes - primarily a way for a mixer to track and assess their own recipes (1 user ratings); don't think people take any recipe rating seriously.
  • Ingredients - as intended; it really shows which flavors are popular and what they are doing with it ... the flavor Notes section is indispensable.
Net-net, VU has mixer gurus while ELR has the anarchy that typifies the early Internet; the latter is a data mining gold mine. With ELR, you have a virtual focus group, while VU has experts.

I think it's safe to assume that there are quite a few web developers among forum members. It runs an unmodified generic software (hence the regular spambot attacks)

Never had a problem with spambots. Discardable email, Tor Browser, NoScript, Http Everywhere, Extreme Pop-up Blocker and AdBlockPlus ensures a pleasant browsing experience.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ingredients - as intended; it really shows which flavors are popular and what they are doing with it ... the flavor Notes section is indispensable.

Hell yeah!

PS: What on Earth happened to this thread?!

c61BCVz.png

VU Sponsors