Become a Patron!

DNA 166 ramp up?

Subohmer82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Been doing some google-fu searching and still haven't found a solid answer to my quest just yet, anyways!

I have just jumped into the DNA world, primarily DNA 166's, and only use them in wattage mode, i own 3 black framed therions and 1 carbon fiber vt167, they all perform well and are everything i had hoped them to be, small and compact, reliable, and of course good looking but....is it me or is there a slow ramp up time regardless of wattage setting?

I primarily build with Ni80, mainly twisted and basic round wire series builds, occassional clapton builds, but when compared to my 2 sig 150 tc's, and my IPV3 Li, in other words my yihi mods, there is no ramp up time and power is immediate. To the DNA Gurus, is there a setting i have to do in order for there to be zero ramp up? I know in TC you have a plethora of pre heat options but im a wattage user and dont care for TC.

I typically run wattage anywhere from 60 to 70 watts with .23 ohm builds all the way up to .54 coil builds, utilizing 24g Ni80, 26g Ni80, 28g Ni80, and higher gauge kanthal for the outer core for my claptons. Any help would be appreciated, if this is a normal characteristic of the DNA board then ill settle with that, i love the smoothness of the dna board output but i guess im just used to the rowdiness of the yihi chip. Please let me know if there is an adjustment on escribe i can make, but if not, im satisfied with what ive got.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can definitely make adjustments to the preheat and punch in escribe.

Subohmer82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you skt239, i forgot to mention, as an example, my current build is a 13/14 wrap of 24g KA1 with a 3mm ID, ohming at .54 and running at 60 watts which is 5.6ish volts and around 10 amps with LG he4's, when firing, itll ramp up to 18 watts then punch the full 60 watts, i havent really played with the escribe just yet but ill check the adjustment when i can. Thanks again

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you skt239, i forgot to mention, as an example, my current build is a 13/14 wrap of 24g KA1 with a 3mm ID, ohming at .54 and running at 60 watts which is 5.6ish volts and around 10 amps with LG he4's, when firing, itll ramp up to 18 watts then punch the full 60 watts, i havent really played with the escribe just yet but ill check the adjustment when i can. Thanks again

Do you mean at first it will fire at 18 Watts, before firing at 60W? If that is indeed what is happening, that does sound like a preheat setting over riding the power setting- I'm sure though on all of my DNA mods if I set the power higher than the preheat it over rides this- I could be wrong though as I am trying to remember off the top of my head, and my memory isn't the best.

Also as you are in power mode, there isn't usually an option to set preheat for this so it is strange. There is a workaround for this though here that might help you out https://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/post/preheat-in-kanthal-it-works-8144287

Subohmer82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Do you mean at first it will fire at 18 Watts, before firing at 60W? If that is indeed what is happening, that does sound like a preheat setting over riding the power setting- I'm sure though on all of my DNA mods if I set the power higher than the preheat it over rides this- I could be wrong though as I am trying to remember off the top of my head, and my memory isn't the best.

Also as you are in power mode, there isn't usually an option to set preheat for this so it is strange. There is a workaround for this though here that might help you out https://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/post/preheat-in-kanthal-it-works-8144287

Thanks conanthewarrior, it is very strange indeed, i have not tapped into escribe recently but i will get to it, yes it seems as if it is a pre heat setting which is definitely new to me as i have primarily used yihi boards with Ni80 and Ka-A1 in wattage mode only. After building my coils i do my coil pinching and adjusting on my DNA mods and did notice the pre heat syndrome for a second then full on power a split second later. Ill probably be diving into escribe tonight or sometime this weekend. Thanks for your insight and information everyone. Greatly appreciate it.

VU Sponsors