Become a Patron!

DNA board ohms reader

Johnny5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone, hope im posting this in the right place..

Just bought 2 brand new genuine evolv dna boards to build my first ever mods. Hooked them up and tested them and they work but im worried about the ohms being off by +0.2.
The only other mod i have is a cloupor cana clone and i always thought it read resistance correctly since when i put on a 1.6 bvc coil it says 1.6, 1.8 bvc coil says 1.8 and so on and so on.. but when testing my dna boards they are reading 1.8 for the 1.6.. and 2.0 for the 1.8..
Ive read about canas reading ohms wrong and ive read about coils not being exactly as stated.. but ive not read one single thing about a dna board reading ohms incorrectly.
I have a multimeter but it just round off to the nearest whole number, no decimal point. Cant really afford a new one at the moment, just spent all my money on dna's, mod boxes, etc etc will be able to buy an ohms checker soon maybe.

So whats everyones opinions? Two dna boards purchased from different places at different times both reading the same incorrect reading? Or my cana is wrong.. but actually right compared to what the coil is rated at.. i want to get these mods finished and dont want to waste my time or evolvs times sending these boards two and fro across the atlantic ocean for nothing!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My bet is on the Evolv board.

IMHO, as long as my multimeter is right and I get the coils built the way I want them ( 1.7 ohms at the moment) the resistance meter even if off by as much as 0.3 ohms is still a great indicator of the condition of your coils.

And my Evolv chips are 100% dead nuts accurate. Shows 1.7 ohms on the dot.

Or on the display.

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Just bought 2 brand new genuine evolv dna boards to build my first ever mods. Hooked them up and tested them and they work but im worried about the ohms being off by +0.2.
The only other mod i have is a cloupor cana clone and i always thought it read resistance correctly since when i put on a 1.6 bvc coil it says 1.6, 1.8 bvc coil says 1.8 and so on and so on.. but when testing my dna boards they are reading 1.8 for the 1.6.. and 2.0 for the 1.8..
Ive read about canas reading ohms wrong and ive read about coils not being exactly as stated.. but ive not read one single thing about a dna board reading ohms incorrectly.
I have a multimeter but it just round off to the nearest whole number, no decimal point. Cant really afford a new one at the moment, just spent all my money on dna's, mod boxes, etc etc will be able to buy an ohms checker soon maybe.

So whats everyones opinions? Two dna boards purchased from different places at different times both reading the same incorrect reading? Or my cana is wrong.. but actually right compared to what the coil is rated at.. i want to get these mods finished and dont want to waste my time or evolvs times sending these boards two and fro across the atlantic ocean for nothing!
the cloupor is wrong I use the bvc coils and 1.6 will read at 1.7 and sometimes 1.8. I know it is weird but you have the right ohm reading with your real evolve dna boards.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Money on the DNA boards. China coil heads are seldom on the button... more an average.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
is it possible the tank is not making full contact with the 510 on your mod?

Johnny5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
is it possible the tank is not making full contact with the 510 on your mod?

I had the same thought, so i detached the positive and negative wires from the 510 and held them directly against the atomizers and got the same readings. Its a spring loaded varitube 510, i think the spring is quite weak to be honest but nonetheless, same readings with or without it.
I ever tried a thicker gauge wire for the positive and negative and the readings were the same again.

Its just got to be the cana thats wrong because the chances of two new dna boards reading the same incorrect resistance has to be highly unlikely.
Thanks to everyone so far who has helped me confirm my suspicions.

Although it is still weird that the cana is reading the ohms as stated on the bvc's..

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had the same thought, so i detached the positive and negative wires from the 510 and held them directly against the atomizers and got the same readings. Its a spring loaded varitube 510, i think the spring is quite weak to be honest but nonetheless, same readings with or without it.
I ever tried a thicker gauge wire for the positive and negative and the readings were the same again.

Its just got to be the cana thats wrong because the chances of two new dna boards reading the same incorrect resistance has to be highly unlikely.
Thanks to everyone so far who has helped me confirm my suspicions.

Although it is still weird that the cana is reading the ohms as stated on the bvc's..
Ya like I said I have tested the bvc coils on a ohm reader and they come out to .1 or .2 higher than their rated resistence.

Johnny5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya like I said I have tested the bvc coils on a ohm reader and they come out to .1 or .2 higher than their rated resistence.

Yeah thanks, puts my mind at rest.
afterall what would you trust more, a clone or a genuine evolv, i know what im going with!

Johnny5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well i just put a new 1.6 ohm bvc in my nautilus and onto my cana mod, its reading 1.4 ohms and thats 1.6 ohms on the genuine dna board, so it looks like aspire managed to get one right.

Johnny5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ok hope it doesnt look like im talking to myself here but just got a russian 91% and did my first coil build, on the DNA it says 1.5 ohm, stuck it on the cana and thats also showing 1.5 ohm.. what the hell?

oh yeah and my dna is saying 4.4 volts at 12w but the cana is saying 4.2 volts at 12w, can someone please explain why the resistance and wattage are the same but the voltage is different? is it just basically because the cana is a piece of crap?

Last edited:

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ok hope it doesnt look like im talking to myself here but just got a russian 91% and did my first coil build, on the DNA it says 1.5 ohm, stuck it on the cana and thats also showing 1.5 ohm.. what the hell?

oh yeah and my dna is saying 4.4 volts at 12w but the cana is saying 4.2 volts at 12w, can someone please explain why the resistance and wattage are the same but the voltage is different? is it just basically because the cana is a piece of crap?
Yes

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

oh yeah and my dna is saying 4.4 volts at 12w but the cana is saying 4.2 volts at 12w, can someone please explain why the resistance and wattage are the same but the voltage is different?

It's the way and when the Evolv board deals with ohm readings.
Ohms display: The resistance of the atomizer attached to the device. This is measured only when the
unit is supplying power to the atomizer. At other times, it shows the most recent measurement.

Looking at your numbers the cana is using 1.5Ω as a basis, Evolve is using 1.6Ω. No offense but it seems you are worrying about a rather insignificant difference either way.

Blue Horse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't know what your boards are doing IRL, but ohm's law says 1.5 ohms @ 12 watts is 4.243 volts.. Which board is rounding the numbers which way? IDK...

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years

I just had the exact same experience on this DNA40 (my first build) and I was getting ready to rip out a bunch of shit and de-solder the output leads. I'm also using a Varitube 510.

Vamo, MVP, and istick all come in 0.2 ohms lower. Also bothering me is that most of my builds were coming out as predicted by Steam Engine... Did you ever learn any more about this Johnny5? Was it an actual problem, or is it just the way Evolv chips work? Are the Varitubes holding up okay? I'm a little worried about that too.

VU Sponsors