Become a Patron!

Do "Exotic" coils require more power?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New-ish vaper here. So I've decided to try some cool pre-builts as my building skills are only a about a month old. I maybe should have posted this before I bought them..They should be here early next week. I honestly don't even know what I'm getting, all I know is I'm getting 24 coils that I couldn't build myself. I think it's a Demon Killer 6 in One coil kit..Flame or Violence..something along those lines. Unfortunately there's no pics of the coils on the site I bought from. I'll post pics when I get them. Also not sure if the specs listed for them are for single or duals. Either way I'm always keeping safety in mind. My thoughts are if they are "beefier" or larger they might take more power/wattage/amps etc or is that irrelevant as ohms are ohms and nothing really changes? I'm using a regulated mod w Samsung 25R's and plan on using them with a future purchase (ICON RDA) Thanks for putting up with my newb questions :)

Last edited:

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In practice they need more power (Watts) than simple builds made of a single wire.
Ohms are ohms, you're right, but the increased metal mass takes either more time to heat, or more power to get there in circa the same time.
Many regulated mods offer a 'pre-heat' function, which boosts power in the initial phase of a drag to reduce the time needed to get massive coils up to temp

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you think it's a huge increase in wattage or maybe like 10-20 watts? Thanks for the heads up on the pre-heat/ramp up trick!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Depends on the coil a simple coil at 0.2Ω may take 40 watts but a massive coil like an Alien or fused Clapton at 0.2Ω may need 100 watts or more to fire correctly. More mass = more power to heat up. Start low and work your way up to the power that works best for the coil your using.
That's why pre-heat. Set a high pre-heat for a second or two to get the coil hot then drop the watts to a good vape range. Some people blow through the coil to heat it before taking a hit.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In addition to what everyone said above (which I absolutely agree with), it also depends on the quality of the metal.

I bought one of those wheel of coils from demon killer when I first started using rba. They took a lot of power to heat up. The same type of coils from advance vape or lighting vape performs much better.
I'm happy I got the wheel as I learned what type of coils I like best (fused claptons and twisted). But I won't buy another.
f84841182ea7d52d1a699726798a2e4d.jpg

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In addition to what everyone said above (which I absolutely agree with), it also depends on the quality of the metal.

I bought one of those wheel of coils from demon killer when I first started using rba. They took a lot of power to heat up. The same type of coils from advance vape or lighting vape performs much better.
I'm happy I got the wheel as I learned what type of coils I like best (fused claptons and twisted). But I won't buy another.
f84841182ea7d52d1a699726798a2e4d.jpg

Yeah I could see how this could be a learning experience if nothing else. Should be cool. Anybody know if a single coil set up requires less power? I'm hoping these coils require 120ish watts or less as that's my batteries limits. (If I understand that correctly)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I could see how this could be a learning experience if nothing else. Should be cool. Anybody know if a single coil set up requires less power? I'm hoping these coils require 120ish watts or less as that's my batteries limits. (If I understand that correctly)

Generally, yes

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Demon Killer 7-in-1 Violence box is what I bought the same day I started vaping... so far I have only tried a pair of the alien v2 coils and only for a short while, but yes, they did have a slow ramp up. The 7-in-1 contains four of each one of these:

tsuka .25 ohms
tsuka-coil-1.jpg

spaced clapton .35 ohms
spaced-clapton.jpg

clapception .35 ohms
clapception.jpg

tri-twisted clapton .35 ohms
authentic-demon-killer-tri-twisted-clapton-coil-allen-key-kit-silver-kanthal-a1-316l-stainless-steel-035-ohm-10-pcs.jpg

staple staggered fused .3 ohms
authentic-demon-killer-staple-staggered-fused-coil-allen-key-kit-silver-kanthal-a1-316l-stainless-steel-03-ohm-10-pcs.jpg

framed clapton .26 ohms
authentic-demon-killer-framed-clapton-coil-allen-key-kit-silver-kanthal-a1-316l-stainless-steel-026-ohm-10-pcs.jpg

alien v2 .25 ohms
Alien-v2-Coil.jpg

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Demon Killer 7-in-1 Violence box is what I bought the same day I started vaping... so far I have only tried a pair of the alien v2 coils and only for a short while, but yes, they did have a slow ramp up. The 7-in-1 contains four of each one of these:

tsuka .25 ohms
tsuka-coil-1.jpg

spaced clapton .35 ohms
spaced-clapton.jpg

clapception .35 ohms
clapception.jpg

authentic-demon-killer-tri-twisted-clapton-coil-allen-key-kit-silver-kanthal-a1-316l-stainless-steel-035-ohm-10-pcs.jpg

authentic-demon-killer-staple-staggered-fused-coil-allen-key-kit-silver-kanthal-a1-316l-stainless-steel-03-ohm-10-pcs.jpg

framed clapton .26 ohms
authentic-demon-killer-framed-clapton-coil-allen-key-kit-silver-kanthal-a1-316l-stainless-steel-026-ohm-10-pcs.jpg

alien v2 .25 ohms
Alien-v2-Coil.jpg

Looks like some sweet ass coils!

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Simple answer as already stated

More Wire Mass in a coil = Majorly more power
Less Wire Mass in a coil = Less Power Needed

Theoretical examples

ID = Internal Diameter

Standard Dual Coil 24awg 6 wraps, 4.0mm ID at about 0.25 to 0.3ohms = 40watts and 1.5seconds full time to ramp up to temp
Standard Dual Coil Parallel or Twisted (4 wires in 2 side by side wire setups or twisted together) 26awg 12wraps, 3.0mm ID at about 0.21 to 0.26ohms = 95watts and 3.0 seconds full time to ramp up to full temp

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Looks like some sweet ass coils!
They're not at all bad actually, as both the flavor and the clouds are fairly big, but the slow ramp up eventually got me bored. Preheat only partially solves the problem IMO... the main reason why I bought these coils was so I could use them if my attempts at building my own coils would just fail miserably all the time.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well hopefully I didn't waste my money and my mod & batteries can fire them properly and safely

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well hopefully I didn't waste my money and my mod & batteries can fire them properly and safely
Nah. Not a waste of $. It's fun to play with different coils. And you learn from it. With the kit I got, the coils were so cheap I didn't care what I did with them. So some I reformed into 3.5mm coils. Some I added extra wraps. Some I took wraps off.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nah. Not a waste of $. It's fun to play with different coils. And you learn from it. With the kit I got, the coils were so cheap I didn't care what I did with them. So some I reformed into 3.5mm coils. Some I added extra wraps. Some I took wraps off.
I did the same when I tried the alien v2 coils from my 7-in-1 box. Wrung them snugly around a fairly small screwdriver to reduce their inner diameter just a little bit, put on an additional two wraps because I was putting the coils in a fairly big (27mm) RDA, and, after having vaped on them for several days to try and evaluate their performance by using a few different juices and ruling out differences caused by wicking them up differently, removed half a wrap from each end. Next time when I can get myself motivated enough to try the other two alien v2 coils that still remain in my 7-in-1 box, I won't touch their inner diameter. These coils are using relatively low gauge wires, and the wires are Kanthal A1 and SS 316L (I think). So IMO reducing the inner diameter of these coils was just a bad idea because, at reasonably high wattages to mitigate the slow ramp up as well as to increase the amount of vapor, the cotton wicks were somewhat too easily getting burned in half. As a result I tend to agree with you these types of cheap coils can still be useful, if only to experiment with them and to learn from that. But an alien coil that you build yourself with three 28g Nichrome80 core wires and a 38g Nichrome80 alien wrap wire (see the picture below... it is my first alien that I have built myself) will outperform the Demon Killer alien v2 coil all day long and twice on Sunday. As a direct result from that, I am forced to conclude you should really never ever try to use these kinds of cheap, factory built coils to evaluate and compare different types of coil builds.

build2.jpg

tsuka .25 ohms
tsuka-coil-1.jpg

spaced clapton .35 ohms
spaced-clapton.jpg

clapception .35 ohms
clapception.jpg

framed clapton .26 ohms

alien v2 .25 ohms
Alien-v2-Coil.jpg
Hey I have just started using rbas and I have a t-priv with a tfv12 smoke tank and I'm using demon killer alien v2, it read at .18 ohms but says it should be at .25 what do I run it at and I've noticed I'm not getting a juicy cloud so what wattage can give me the best cloud and taste from a draw.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey I have just started using rbas and I have a t-priv with a tfv12 smoke tank and I'm using demon killer alien v2, it read at .18 ohms but says it should be at .25 what do I run it at and I've noticed I'm not getting a juicy cloud so what wattage can give me the best cloud and taste from a draw.
I don't know... maybe start at 80 watts and gradually turn it up until the vape feels right. If that still doesn't fix it for you, another thing you could also try is grab 2 new coils and add a wrap to each one (i.e. add half a wrap on each side of each coil), but don't reduce the inner diameter of these coils because else these coils can easily burn your wick in half.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In my experience with Exotic Coils TC Mode is the way to go as you can crank up the power and still get the vape you are seeking. Just my opinion from personal experience.

VU Sponsors