Become a Patron!

do flavorings always taste like they smell?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Best not to go by what someone who is allergic to most flavorings and has to use minuscule amounts IMHO.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No, definitely not! Some can taste awesome when you can't smell them in a mix at all

Some are so strong that if you can smell them in a mix, they will knock you out when you vape

Many stronger flavors smell weird right out of the concentrate bottle, remember to waft, not sniff directly hehe

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, definitely not! Some can taste awesome when you can't smell them in a mix at all

Some are so strong that if you can smell them in a mix, they will knock you out when you vape

Many stronger flavors smell weird right out of the concentrate bottle, remember to waft, not sniff directly hehe

Very tru. So when the smell is strong AF. Use a small percentage at first. Remember you can always add more and nvr take any away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sure you can salvage a Fuck Up but you might wind up with 60ML of something you normally make a 30ML of. Happened to me and still trying to finish that bottle of Coconut Cream~! LMFAO

Ok ok
You can salvage some. But at what cost. Its easier to use less. And always a good idea to start small!! Hahahaha 60 ml and f’d up. Thats a tough one. But ive been there. More than once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok ok
You can salvage some. But at what cost.

Actually pennies since with my screw up I added twice as much flavoring by mistake so it was just VG, Nicotine and PG to double the size. I have never dumped a screw up but did wind up with way more than I will ever user. At an average of $1.50 per 30ML's I could give two shits less.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So i mixed up a 5ml tester..glad I did cause like someone mentioned 60ml of that would be tuff to get through. It doesn't taste bad at all to me just not peachy enough to me..the search continues for a peach. Speaking of wasting 60mls pretty sure I got one for sure 60ml fail possibly two. Maybe 10mls are convienent for single flavors. The thing is I dont want to mix up 10mls of a recipe and wait 2-4 weeks to find out hey a 60 woulda be great and wait another 2-4 weeks. It's either be tedious and time consuming and dont waste nothing or be a little wasteful going all out and hoping for the best. Im sure i'll find a balance. I'm still very new to this.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
pretty sure the smell of CAPc custard is overtaking my whole mix box lol not too shabby

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing is I dont want to mix up 10mls of a recipe and wait 2-4 weeks to find out hey a 60 woulda be great and wait another 2-4 weeks.
I used to do 20ml testers (single flavors and recipes) and test them once a week for a month. By then I usually knew what I wanted to make more of and I would just dump what was left of all my testers together into a much larger bottle and hope I could vape what was created. I now I have 2 x 500ml bottles of countless testers, I hope I never have to vape, that will eventually be dumped. A liter of mixed juice costs me about $20 so no big loss when they eventually get dumped. I now just mix new recipes 100ml at a time as I am not too picky and and have a good understanding of all my flavors based on all the single flavor testing I did with them.

It is easier to wait on testers and bigger batches of successful testers if you have 10 or 15 x 100ml bottles of things you know you like in various stages steeping:

Those 2 big brown bottles in the bottom/center are the mixed testers that will likely be dumped eventually.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
So i mixed up a 5ml tester..glad I did cause like someone mentioned 60ml of that would be tuff to get through. It doesn't taste bad at all to me just not peachy enough to me..the search continues for a peach. Speaking of wasting 60mls pretty sure I got one for sure 60ml fail possibly two. Maybe 10mls are convienent for single flavors. The thing is I dont want to mix up 10mls of a recipe and wait 2-4 weeks to find out hey a 60 woulda be great and wait another 2-4 weeks. It's either be tedious and time consuming and dont waste nothing or be a little wasteful going all out and hoping for the best. Im sure i'll find a balance. I'm still very new to this.
Heres what I do sometimes if not at home or my equipment is busy already mixing, but I want to know the profile.

Mix the 10 ml, grab a bowl of hot tap water, make sure it doesn't exceed 135F. Give your bottle a good shake, till you see hundreds of small bubbles, place it in the hot water. Check every 15-30 minutes, if its cooled down, replace the water with new and shake your bottles again.

Do this for a total of 1-2 hrs. If you looking beyond the 2 hr mark investing in some tools/equipment would be easier, unless you love running forth and back lol. after that let it settle for at least 30-60 minutes and then do a test drip.

Now before people start screaming again, let me say that this is not going to steep your juice, like aging in a cabinet would do. But it will give you a good indicator of were your flavor is going. If you like it go make more, but age it regularly, chances are you might enjoy it after a couple of weeks, constantly testing the progression of the juice. 3 days, 7 days, 14 days and so on. Just because someone says in a recipe two weeks steep, doesn't mean that you personally wouldn't like it earlier or later.

If your mix upon the first test taste like crap, start over, because the chance of that juice being better or amazing after steep, is very low. Make sure you take notes, so more you learn from own experience and tasting the flavors, so easier it will be down the road. Hope it helps.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
No, just look at FA vienna cream, tastes good and at least to me is irreplaceable, if I only went on the smell, it would've went straight to the trash.
Still went in the trash, because I can't stand it personally. In that case I wished it tasted as it smells, might have been more pleasant too me lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to make small 5-10ML testers but it wasn't enough to taste test and have enough left to age and infuse so I now only make 15ML testers. Even with tried and true recipes I never make more than 60MLs at a time because I get bored and sucks having mass quantities around.

77nconeheads5.jpg

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Marshmallow is also a strange one for nose vs. tongue. It smells so strange by itself but taste so good.

VU Sponsors