Do i have to use Propylene glycol for making Vape Liquid ???

Discussion in '"How To" - DIY Tutorials' started by Sankoosh, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Sankoosh

Sankoosh New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi All,

Do i have to use Propylene glycol to make Diy Liquide ?

2. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    No you don't have to use PG, can use 100VG, but it will be very thick, many atomizers will not wick well. Drippers, no problem.

3. downInTn

downInTn Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I use 5-10% distilled water to thin my VG. The only PG in my mixes comes from the flavoring.

Pitt and ruraldogs like this.
  4. Neunerball

Neunerball Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to VU!

In general, eJuices are made of Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), Nicotine base (if needed), and flavoring (usually in PG). The ratio of those ingredients are up to you. More PG, and/or Nicotine makes for more throat hit (TH). More VG makes more clouds, and less TH. You can utilize an eJuice calculator to get the proper mixture of your ingredients, e.g. http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create.
    We have a good DIY sub-forum here on VU! Come and check it out! There are some good recipes as well. Just scroll further down on the VU forum page.

Markw4mms likes this.
  5. Howard Hughes

Howard Hughes show me the blueprints VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Nope.
    I mix max VG & the only PG in my concoctions is what the flavor is suspended in.

SteveS45 and Markw4mms like this.
  6. HeadInClouds

HeadInClouds Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Unlisted Vendor Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    I also mix max-VG, even buy VG-based nic. I add enough water for it to wick well in whatever (nearly always a tank) hardware I'm using.

ruraldogs and Markw4mms like this.
  7. Jonnystevenson

Jonnystevenson Bronze Contributor Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The PG is used for flavour more PG the brighter the flavours but with that comes a second part, throat hit. Throat hit is how “rough” the vapour is in your throat (simple hey!)

70/30 VG/PG is a fairly common ratio, to me, this provides a good balance between the characteristics of both ingredients but it really is personal choice as to what you like more.

8. SteveS45

SteveS45 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    There is no reason you have to use PG and many manufactures offer High or MAX VG e-Liquids. I find no difference with the amount of flavor without PG and I buy many VGD Flavors for DIY. (VG Dominant) I also do not use any distilled water in my DIY e-Liquids and never have problems with wicking even with a tiny Aspire BVC coil.

9. splucked

splucked Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I don't use PG in my juices. If I'm vaping on a tank and want to switch flavor without changing the coil, then I vape a few tanks of straight VG. In addition to (mostly) clearing the old flavor from the cotton, it calms down my taste buds if they get desensitized (vape tongue) from chain vaping.

SteveS45 likes this.
  10. jazzman

jazzman VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    No need to use PG if you don't want.