Become a Patron!

Do mechs provide some with a preferable flavor experience.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not speaking gospel here. I just happened to be pondering this and figured I'd throw it out here for discussion.

Anyone who's vaped on a mech mod has probably noticed that their juice tastes different on a battery fresh off of the charger vs a battery that's running low.

Anyone who's vaped on a regulated mod knows that they get the same vape experience every draw, but tweaking the mods output power changes the flavor nuances of many juices.

I summize, that juice for juice, mech users may tend to taste a wider variety of those flavor nuances because they regularly vape a wider range of output voltages thoughout their day.

Regulated users, on the other hand, tend to set it and forget it. Although they may find a completely acceptable vape and flavor this way, because the power never fluctuates they may be missing out on hints of flavor they wouldn't have otherwise picked up on.

That said, if you love your juice at 4.2v and start missing out on flavor below 4.0, a mech isn't going to be doing you any favors.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What you do on a regulated mod by tweaking the power, you do on a mech mod with your coil build.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, but most people don't rebuild throughout the day. I'm saying you wake up, pop a battery in a mech and vape. As the battery charge diminishes, the taste changes.

On a regulated mod, the taste stays the same unless you change the settings, which you probably won't because you've found what you consider to be a satisfying vape.

Ergo, mech users potentially taste a wider variety of flavor from their juices.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can follow that logic. I started on mechs (a little backwards, I know) and just recently switched to regulated and noticed the exact phenomena you are describing. I was drawn to the idea of set and forget, but have been bouncing back and forth now between my regulated and my mechs just for that variety you are describing.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Instead of re-building, I use different tops. Some juices taste better with lower power, some with higher power. Therefore adjusting the power accordingly on the reg. mod, or using a different coil build on the mech.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let's use a fictitious lemon vanilla custard with graham cracker juice.

Lets say that at higher power levels, its super lemony
At the lowest power level its super custardy.
In the middle power range it's 50/50, but the graham cracker shows itself best at about 75% full power.

On a regulated mod, you're gonna find the balance of what tastes good and throws the vapor you desire and probably leave it there. On a mech, you're going to taste it from super lemony to super custardy, and everything in between.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
not to mention, but i dont let my batteries go too low thru out the day either..

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Neither do I. 6 different 18650's in rotation throughout the day... but my last puff had a butter cream tone that wasn't there 20 min ago, which I wouldn't be tasting right now if I were vaping on a regulated mod.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now you got me thinkin. :confused:
I've been vaping since early march. I've just recently added mechs to my rotation. Got to feel this one out now.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I <3 my mechs more than my new ipv mini 2..

just can not beat the taste.. and you can control clouds, if that is a bother..
me.. i <3 my clouds a bit too much ;)

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Regulated mods cannot yet push what a mech pushes.
a .2 coil on a mech delivers about 90watts of force on a fresh 18650, more or less.
that same .2 build on lets say a sigelei will not do the same. After 70-75 watts the sigelei is not accurate. Ive tried .12 builds in sigelei at 140watts and it didnt even come close to the punch of my mech.
i carry a 4 pack of vtc4s when im on the road and when i feel the first break in the pull i switch. Usually takes like an hour of chain vaping or 1.5hr if not vaping as heavy.
Need more powrrful and accurate regulated mods to put down the force.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is a good topic. I hadn't thought of the voltage drop off of a battery changing flavors up. I rarely let my batteries go below 3.8, regulated or mech. I do still use mechs almost exclusively for work. Driving for a living, especially with my clones, I don't worry about keeping them pretty out and about. I have quite a few,mad well. They really are both great options, and have subtle differences. For regulated, I just set my presets generally in 5 watt differences, with one being a tad below what the atty would draw at 4.2, one at exactly 4.2, then a few that are higher for really going at it. Some juices definitely taste better at higher power and vice versa.

I know I'm hanging on to my mechs. I use them almost daily, and they don't really break. They might be our best options for sub ohming, like they used to be, at some point. If regulations go into effect, it'll be interesting to see if China still gets away with making regulated mods.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mine starts petering out I pull the battery, snap it in the charger and it's been almost right at (I wanna say) 2.4. Is that two low?

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a good topic. I hadn't thought of the voltage drop off of a battery changing flavors up. I rarely let my batteries go below 3.8, regulated or mech. I do still use mechs almost exclusively for work. Driving for a living, especially with my clones, I don't worry about keeping them pretty out and about. I have quite a few,mad well. They really are both great options, and have subtle differences. For regulated, I just set my presets generally in 5 watt differences, with one being a tad below what the atty would draw at 4.2, one at exactly 4.2, then a few that are higher for really going at it. Some juices definitely taste better at higher power and vice versa.

I know I'm hanging on to my mechs. I use them almost daily, and they don't really break. They might be our best options for sub ohming, like they used to be, at some point. If regulations go into effect, it'll be interesting to see if China still gets away with making regulated mods.
3.8? Oh hell I'm fuckin' up already!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Instead of re-building, I use different tops. Some juices taste better with lower power, some with higher power. Therefore adjusting the power accordingly on the reg. mod, or using a different coil build on the mech.

I agree, this is the same for me, only I use throw away coils, but different watts for the different mods I have can be tweeked for great flavo, depending on which I am using some are set way different than another, its all in where your sweet spot is..

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
3.8? Oh hell I'm fuckin' up already!
Lol, 3.8 is me being anal/near a charger usually. Partial charges extend batteries lifespan, so i have so many, if im near a charger, i pull them pretty early.

Now, especially in a mech, i wouldn't go below 3.4 at the most. 2.4 is too low, that will end up shortening your batteries lifespan significantly I'm pretty certain. I notice a drop off by 3.7, 3.6 at the most, i dont think i could keep vaping at 2.4. Might wanna start charging a tad earlier IMO.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lol, 3.8 is me being anal/near a charger usually. Partial charges extend batteries lifespan, so i have so many, if im near a charger, i pull them pretty early.

Now, especially in a mech, i wouldn't go below 3.4 at the most. 2.4 is too low, that will end up shortening your batteries lifespan significantly I'm pretty certain. I notice a drop off by 3.7, 3.6 at the most, i dont think i could keep vaping at 2.4. Might wanna start charging a tad earlier IMO.
Yeah I had one just now starting to nut up where usually I hit it a few more times but I snap it out and it was 3.7. I was afraid we might not know for sure but that's pretty easy to tell I guess.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
OK no it was 3.4...that may not be to bad.
You know, i almost asked if that 2 was meant to be a 3, lol. Guess i was right, i dont think 2.4V would get you much vapor if any. 3.4 is fine, if you have a decent amount of batteries it cant hurt to pull them a tad earlier, but 3.4 should be fine.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I had one just now starting to nut up where usually I hit it a few more times but I snap it out and it was 3.7. I was afraid we might not know for sure but that's pretty easy to tell I guess.
Yeah, its usually easy to tell when they really fall off. 3.7 sounds around where a difference would be noticed. Sounds like you have a good grasp on things.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hard to prove with certainty if a mech slowly tapering down offers more flavor nuances over a regulated mod that could be adjusted downward to match the same power output, or if the current on an unregulated device has any better (or worse) affect on how your atomizer fires up.

Personally, for what I like to vape, a regulated device doesn't deliver and is more of a hassle to use than a mech. On top of that, placebo effect or not, I get a much better experience and more satisfying vape building around what my device is capable of rather than adjusting the mod around what is already built ;)

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm new to mechs. I currently have a SMPL and a Panzer clone. My builds are always 24-26g kanthal, .03ohm.
I'm still working out how to sense the difference between the discharge rate on the battery vs the variables that affect the build (cotton, gunk on coils, etc.). Once in a while I pull my battery and slap it on my charger to check it's voltage. So far, I've never gone below 3.68v.
I know I could push a little more at that point, but why? My tube is already open and there's always a fresh battery in reach. (I keep one rotation per device).

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel the first drop at around 3.9. I can still get plumes and nice hot flavor for another 20 or so minutes, when i pull ouy the battery its usually 3.68-3.7 almost always.
If i go out i can usually go through 6 or 7 hours in a 5 to 6 hour span.
if anything thats the only benefit i see to using regulated is battery life.
I found a regulated mod that can put out what a mech does. Forget sigelei, look up hexohm mod. I want one. I tried it the other day at vaporshark on a .22 build i wss traveling with and it kicked ass. Actually had to turn down the knob cause first blast was too much of a killer.

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, but most people don't rebuild throughout the day. I'm saying you wake up, pop a battery in a mech and vape. As the battery charge diminishes, the taste changes.

On a regulated mod, the taste stays the same unless you change the settings, which you probably won't because you've found what you consider to be a satisfying vape.

Ergo, mech users potentially taste a wider variety of flavor from their juices.
The change to me isn't as noticeable on mechs as they are on say, eGos, so no, to me the taste difference isn't as extreme as one might think. I use only mechs and I don't rebuild every day, but I do build so that my resistance is right where I like it on my mechs (0.7-1Ω).
What I prefer with mechs is that there are no electronics that can potentially melt it down or set it on fire (unless you do something really, really stupid with your build), and piece of cake to carry extra batteries and swap it out, so no down time.
I switched to mechs from Spinners.

Last edited:

retic1959

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No regulated device can match the pure DC power delivery of a mech , throw in the aesthetics and the games over IMO , the mech delivers a better experience .

VU Sponsors