Become a Patron!

Do RDA's drain batteries faster than a sub-ohm tank?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dunno if it's just me but my battery life just drops hardcore when using an RDA..Am I hallucinating?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on the wattage/resistance used.
AN RDA will drain the battery at exactly the same rate as a tank will if the resistances are the same if all else is equal.
Wattage, etc.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yep, it's all in the resistance of the coil :)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WHAT MOD?
RDA/RTA ?
Wattage?
Temp?
How often do you vape?
Type of battery?

I BAM

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, it's all in the resistance of the coil :)
Or the wattage depending on the efficiency of the chipset at various wattages/voltages.

ie it may take more out of your battery to push 30 watts thru a 1.2 ohm coil vs a .2 ohm coil.
That all depends on how well your chipset works.
Even in this case the difference should be negligible though.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amps drawn determines battery drainage speed...... in unregulated mods lower ohm is faster..... in regulated higher wattage bring faster drainage. ...

Just a matter of which math formula you are using for the calculation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im using an Alien 220 & Icon RDA with claptons ohming out at 0.22 also im using samsung 25R's and drawing roughly 16amps at 50ish watts..I think my tank draws 11-12 amps at 40ish watts on a 0.3 coil...would that make a considerable difference? Seems so..is that normal?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can't go by the numbers displayed on the alien, it's a bit goofy. As I recall the formula for regulated mods is watts divided by min volts multiplied by the number of batteries, divided by estimated mod efficiency. At 50w that would be 50/(3.2v)x2 (2 batteries)/0.9 (90% efficiency) = 8.6-9a. Using straight ohm's law doesn't work with regulated mods since it doesn't account for the regulation of the chip.

whatitstrue

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Battery life can vary considerably depending on amp draw/higher amps = less battery time. Along with amount of puffs and length of draws. All of which contribute to power consumption.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
all I know is with my TFV4 micro tank I can get a solid 10-12 hrs out of 'er..RDA more like 5..6 maybe 8 hrs. That's quite the drop

whatitstrue

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
all I know is with my TFV4 micro tank I can get a solid 10-12 hrs out of 'er..RDA more like 5..6 maybe 8 hrs. That's quite the drop

Its also a new piece of hardware for you. You may be vaping more frequent than you were with the tfv4 also. I new when I get new things I tend to vape a little harder for a while.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its also a new piece of hardware for you. You may be vaping more frequent than you were with the tfv4 also. I new when I get new things I tend to vape a little harder for a while.
Definitely could be a factor.I did get a suspicious stomach ache today lol I always over vape not with just new gear but new juice as well..Today was the Icon RDA with a dual build for the first time AND new juice. Might've vaped myself silly without even realizing it lol

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
1) Regulated mod, only time resistance comes into play is A) Read the atomizer resistance, determine if resistance is below programmed lowest firing parameter, B) take reading, check set watts, adjust voltage to formulate volts needed to reach set watts, after that, resistance on a regulated mod means jack shit for amp draw, the reading you are seeing is the second amp figure, amps coming from the control board to the atomizer, not the amps being pulled from the battery, and that figure is basic Ohm's Law Volts/Ohms of Atomizer=Amps being sent.
2) This plays heavily in battery drain, more wire mass you have = more watts needed, more watts needed = the lower battery efficiency declines. You stated your TFV4 you vape at 40watts, yet with your RDA you are vaping at 50watts, there I can tell you is the difference, the TFV4 is using standard round wire, that outer wrapping wire of the claptons in your RDA is needing extra power as it adds more mass to the wires used, simple physics and thermal dynamics of metals. They look pretty and all, and you may get a bit more flavor, at least you aren't using fused or stapled claptons, alien or tread claptons, think your battery drain is bad now, those monster wires are 4, 8, 10x worse, don't even get me started on juggernaut and other wires.
3) The coils in TFV4 are most likely using either 26, 24, or maybe even 22awg NiChrome wire which heats up quickly, has a bit lower resistance than Kanthal, and stay hot after firing for a longer time so thus ramp up faster if you chain vape on them, again wire mass, more wire equals more time to ramp up.
4) Chain vaping, if you are pounding that RDA every 10 seconds or so compared to your TFV4 you are hitting on it maybe 2 to 3 times every minute, there again you are vaping 2x the amount of time you are with your tank as an example only.

RDA's are addicting, the flavor, clouds, and/or both you can achieve is amazing compared to any tank due to the basic direct to coil liquid principle, down side, especially super-sub-ohm, below about 0.3ohm or so, doesn't matter if it is a regulated, mech, tank, rda, or what battery efficiency just plummets.

Regulated it is determined by Watts Hours, 2500mah = 2500mah X Median Voltage / 1000, so 2500mah X 3.7v (median or rated voltage rating of an 18650) / 1000 = 9.25Watt Hours or around there, being a dual battery mod, X 2 = 18.5 Watt Hours combined together.
Mech it is determined by how many amps you pull, still boils down to watt hours but, more amps you pull more watts you output.

Determining amps being pulled @Synphul basically gave you the formula, yet with the Alien 220W, that battery lowest voltage is 2.8v per battery or 5.6v lowest, don't need the voltage X 2 in formula posted above, just watts set/5.6v/90%=maximum amps.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Determining amps being pulled @Synphul basically gave you the formula, yet with the Alien 220W, that battery lowest voltage is 2.8v per battery or 5.6v lowest, don't need the voltage X 2 in formula posted above, just watts set/5.6v/90%=maximum amps.

You can't go by the numbers displayed on the alien, it's a bit goofy. As I recall the formula for regulated mods is watts divided by min volts multiplied by the number of batteries, divided by estimated mod efficiency. At 50w that would be 50/(3.2v)x2 (2 batteries)/0.9 (90% efficiency) = 8.6-9a. Using straight ohm's law doesn't work with regulated mods since it doesn't account for the regulation of the chip.

So you guys are saying I'm only drawing about 8-9 amps from my 20 amp batteries?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yep, Regulated Mod it is basically Watts Law, still a subset of Ohms Law but a different formula

50watts Set/5.6v lowest charge/90% Mod Control Board Efficiency=9.9206amps, or roughly rounded up 10amps, 50% of your total CDR.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok forgive me if I'm a little slow lol I can vape up to 100 watts safely? Thanks for the help!

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yes, the Alien 220W if you take it to lowest charge level it is about 100 to 105watts max safely with 20amp CDR batteries, and is still mislabled even if you use 30amp CDR batteries, you cap out at about 160 to 170watts max. Its all in that 2.8v lowest per battery, where other dual battery mods the cutoff voltage is 3.0 to 3.2v per battery and can reach about 180watts max safely (90watts per battery), the Alien with 20amp batteries it is roughly about 50 to 52.5watts per battery.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, the Alien 220W if you take it to lowest charge level it is about 100 to 105watts max safely with 20amp CDR batteries, and is still mislabled even if you use 30amp CDR batteries, you cap out at about 160 to 170watts max. Its all in that 2.8v lowest per battery, where other dual battery mods the cutoff voltage is 3.0 to 3.2v per battery and can reach about 180watts max safely (90watts per battery), the Alien with 20amp batteries it is roughly about 50 to 52.5watts per battery.

Thanks for all the info. I finally fully understand after this and tons of other fine folks explained it nicely. Sometimes it takes hearing it a few times in a variety of ways for me to grasp it. I basically told myself never to go over 100 watts. It's good to know that was playing it safe :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For higher wattage vaping on a regulated like the alien at say 120-150w+ it would probably be better to use higher amp batteries (lower mah, sony's higher amp usually come out around 1500mah). You trade off battery life for power. Even so there's only so much direct power a pair of 18650's can put out. The chip uses other tricks like power converters to buck the power up higher in pulses. Otherwise it would take 30-35a batteries to achieve 200w, much less 220w, 230w or anything else like the sigelei 213, alien 220w, koas, predator 223 or whatever it is.

Most likely why other dual 18650 mods like the hohm wrecker g2 is 'only' 171w or why the therion is only 166w. It's not that they're 'weak' mods that can't keep up with the other 220w+ mods, they're more realistic and designed for dual 18650's capable of 30a without sacrificing by using boost tech to pulse the power up higher than what the batteries can actually put out. Part of the voodoo that goes on in regulated mods and why straight ohm's law math doesn't quite add up. That's why on a mech mod as the battery dies the vape gets weaker, on a regulated whether your battery is at 100% or 50% the vape is pretty much the same. It continues to squeeze the same watts out of the batteries until it finally hits a limit where it can no longer (hopefully safely) do so.

Even then the mods advertising 200w+ usually have restrictions as to what resistance they'll actually run all the way to the upper end. Only certain ranges of resistance will fire up that high rather than the full range supported by the mod, similar to the way temp control usually only works within a specific window of resistance outlined in the manual.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, RDAs drain the batteries faster. But that's only because RDAs are better and so you'll vape more. ;)

VU Sponsors