Become a Patron!

DO VTC5'S need cooling, so are unsuitable for vaping, or am I mistaken?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people.

I am pretty sure I read the vtc5 requires cooling during use, so can't be used in a vape, but they would be perfect for me. 2500MAH and 30 Amp rated.

If they don't need cooling, I am going to get a set. Just need to find a reputable dealer as where I shop only stocks VTC4's.

So, does the VTC5 need cooling fans and such or did I get my wires crossed somewhere?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Never heard of 'em needing that and the pair I have doesn't get warm in my Sigelei 100W Plus. I have a set of VTC4s and a set of VTC5s. Both perform great.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Never heard of that either.

I have two married pairs that I use in two different mods and not one lick of a problem even though I am not "Cooling" them.

90 degrees F here today and they work fine outdoors!

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The only time I've ever heard of cooling them is during continuous 30 amp drain testing. They will do it but tend to get warm. The VTC5 is a 20 amp continuous cell that is often listed at 30A. The VTC3 and VTC4 are 30A cells.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never heard of that. They can get warm when you're pulling a lot of power from them and ambient heat from the atty can add to this, but I've always assumed that this was acceptable so long as they're not getting HOT. If you can still hold them in your hands and they're not feeling ridiculously warm, then you're probably aright. They can handle modest amounts of heat under discharge.

Honestly, when I had them, I pushed my VTC5's somewhat close to their current limit and I noticed that they tended not to get quite as toasty as my Samsungs or LG's.

Now when they're charging, yes, you absolutely need to make sure that they're cool before you stick them on a charger. Also of course ensure that they're not getting warm when charging.

I think finding real VTC5's is gonna be hard these days. I'm not even convinced that they're still being made atm. VTC4's are easy enough to find though, and they're still some of the best batteries you can buy.

The VTC5 is a 20 amp continuous cell.
Huh? They are 30 amp cells, not 20. The only difference between them and the VTC4's are 500 extra mah's and a little extra internal resistance.

Edit: Well, maybe it IS actually a 20a battery. I never actually looked a the discharge curve. I just found this interesting little reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic..._venerable_sony_vtc5_is_it_really_a_30a_cell/

Very interesting...

Either way, I imagine heat wouldn't be much of an issue at around 20 amps. Stay at or under that and you should be alright.

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I feel like this is probably something more people should be doing. lol. 99% of the vaping world assumes them to be 30a, period. My mind is blown.
Yep well when I bought 2 pairs a year or so ago I thought they were 30 as well. I haven't pushed them to the point where it made a difference anyway.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep well when I bought 2 pairs a year or so ago I thought they were 30 as well. I haven't pushed them to the point where it made a difference anyway.
It freaks me out because I've pushed my 4's as high as 26a, though I do like to keep a 30% margin most of the time. Either way, not the smartest thing in the world to do, but had I known about the temp thing, I never would have gone that far. Damn.

But getting back on topic, VTC4/5's are probably gonna be fine in a sig 150w as long as you keep it over .2 and don't go over 100w, which is not much lower/higher than you'd safely be able to go with Samsung 25r's or LG HE2's.

Go with whatever the best deal is between the VTC4/5 the 25r, I suppose. They have similar limitations, apparently.

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It freaks me out because I've pushed my 4's as high as 26a, though I do like to keep a 30% margin most of the time. Either way, not the smartest thing in the world to do, but had I known about the temp thing, I never would have gone that far. Damn.
Still within the limits of the VTC4 and heat only becomes an issue on the 5's in a continuous drain situation. As long as they weren't getting hot you're fine.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still within the limits of the VTC4 and heat only becomes an issue on the 5's in a continuous drain situation. As long as they weren't getting hot you're fine.
Ahh, I was reading in the reddit tread that VTC3 was the only one that was actually 30a. I guess I kind of assumed the 4 wasn't much different from the 5 because their internal resistances weren't far off from one another and took t at face-value.

And no, they weren't getting hot. Warm with long sessions yes, but not nearly as warm as the atty itself! Still don't think I'll be doing that again, though. lol

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As above, they are really to be considered a 20A. If using above that caution is needed.

Build doesn't matter, so 0.2 or the Sigelei s minimum of 0.15, you draw the exact same current. All that matters is the wattage you set and the voltage the cells are at. The lower the voltage the higher the current draw.

If vaping at the full 150W, vtc4 would be fine. 25r will cover up to 128w, but that's without taking into account losses from conversion, so around 115W would be better.

If you can, get some VTC4. If not then LG HD2 are a good 2000mah 25A option. If you're sticking within a more reasonable range of 100W buy what give you the best capacity while staying within the 20A range, ie HE2/4 or Samsung 25R.

If you want to crank it up to 150W just to see what it's like to burn your throat then you won't vent any of the cells mentioned above. Just do it on a completely full charge. The Mod should shut down at the first signs of trouble, just don't push your luck.

VU Sponsors