Become a Patron!

Do you still use SS mesh?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, do you and if so why?.....maybe this can be a corner where we can admitt our archaic tastes, share some favorite wick ideas,and the atties we use SS mesh in...or how you build different wicks for different atties, different VG ratios.
As for me why do I still use mesh....it gives a bite cotton doesn't,a vape that you can chew on, cotton seems light in the loafers, wispy..sorta like the diffrence between a good strong tobacco cigarette like a Gualoisis or the original American Spirit, against the unsatisfying pale experince of say a Marlborough light. I also like how mesh seems to make flavors pop...I feel like a dinasour that I still use mesh. I doubt there's been an atty on the market in the last two years designed for mesh...the last one I can think of off hand were the nextgens...I'd be real interested in people showing builds in atties that don't normally use mesh.

If you have questions about the saftey of using mesh this is not the place to ask those questions ...there are many many threads that have beat that horse into the ground..I would direct you to the many threads at ECF concerning the saftey of using SS mesh for those questions.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope, won't even try it. I use Mech's and the thought of SS as a wicking material doesn't seem to be a good idea. I also won't try Silica, not really found of the idea of inhaling silica dust.

Cotton works just fine, even in old school devices that were designed with SS mesh in mind.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope, won't even try it. I use Mech's and the thought of SS as a wicking material doesn't seem to be a good idea. I also won't try Silica, not really found of the idea of inhaling silica dust.

Cotton works just fine, even in old school devices that were designed with SS mesh in mind.
yeah cool then this is probablly not a thread you would have any interest in.....the fact you've never used mesh loans alot of credence to your thoughts.....as to saftey concerns yeah well four years ago I remember spending hours reading that debate on ECF threads..I'm cool with the relarive saftey of mesh wicks ,,by the way you can also find people making the case for the health risks of vaping on cotton, hemp,ceramic, and Silica....

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah cool then this is probablly not a thread you would have any interest in.....the fact you've never used mesh loans alot of credence to your thoughts.
Just stating why I won't use them, but with all Vaping I'm interested and would be interested in fans of mesh counter points.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just stating why I won't use them, but with all Vaping I'm interested and would be interested in fans of mesh counter points.
if your looking in regards to the saftey of ss mesh then you may want to go into the ECF archives as this concern was debated to death. years ago...however this thread is not concerned with that.If you want to enlighten people to the threat of SS mesh I suggest you start your own thread, instead of trying to highjack this one.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if your looking in regards to the saftey of ss mesh then you may want to go into the ECF archives as this concern was debated to death. years ago...however this thread is not concerned with that.If you want to enlighten people to the threat of SS mesh I suggest you start your own thread, instead of trying to highjack this one.
Wow, don't get so fucking butt hurt there trigger.
I comment on a public thread you put out asking people who use Mesh and why. I'm also interested and state why I don't use it.

If you call that hijacking then you really should take a vape and chill out eh?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, don't get so fucking butt hurt there trigger.
I comment on a public thread you put out asking people who use Mesh and why. I'm also interested and state why I don't use it.

If you call that hijacking then you really should take a vape and chill out eh?
ECF has the information you are looking for....this thread is for mesh builders to share their thoughts and their experinces.and for people who want to learn on how to build using ss mesh..

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF has the information you are looking for....this thread is for mesh builders to share their thoughts and their experinces.and for people who want to learn on how to build using ss mesh..

And?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
has anyone ever used 270 mesh or anything lower than 300.....I know that for most of us we started building before there was such a thing as "high VG" juices...but as time went by I started vaping higher VG juices and had to adjust my wicks for that...lowered my mesh size and changed wick design..how did you crack that nut if you started vaping higher VG

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use it in my Steam turbine and Sat22 genetanks. 300 is coarsest I have tried.

Going to buy some this week. Want to try it in my avocado. Don't really think it will keep up with the tank. Been running a silica wick In it for 2 weeks. I think Mesh will have the same issues I'm finding with silica. Doesn't wick and hold enough juice for high power vaping.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use mesh for a few reasons:

1. I don't like vaping max VG juices that are loaded with sucralose/sweeteners anymore; I personally think cotton is better suited for those ultra-sweet-creamy/dessert type flavors.
2. I'm a MTL vaper, don't like vaping like I'm using an asthma inhaler. I tend to like the airhole around 1.1-1.4mm which I think is ideal for mesh.
3. Over the years I've gone back to higher PG blends, so I tend to stick to 400 mesh.
4. Flavor. Its subjective on what is considered good, stellar or poor, but once I started gravitating more towards tobacco based flavors, either NET's like Blacknote or a fancy blend like the Vaponaute line, mesh was the only wicking material I found that was able to bring out the flavors that I currently enjoy.
5. Ease of use, very maintenance free. Once setup right, aside from an occasional dry burn and clean, you can go months on end before you need to change your coil.

I use a LeZephyr with 400 mesh as my primary vape, I have a wick-hole reducer so have it at a 2.5mm diameter. Juice of choice is Vaponaute Botanics Le Classique @12mg (brown and blonde tobacco blend) or Vaponautes Night Flight @12mg (coffee, almond & whiskey)

9uw5le.jpg

I also have 2 other gennies that I use time to time:

Sat22 w/ 400 mesh, juice of choice is Blacknote Sonata @18mg (a cavendish tobacco blend) or Blacknote Prelude @18mg (Virginia tobacco) that I use time to time which I find pairs really nicely with a good whiskey ;)

MCR303 w/ 400 mesh wrapped on SS cable. Juice of choice is Vaponaute's On the Storm @6mg. (pear/cognac/tobacco blend with star anise) or Vaponaute's Into The Wild @6mg(tobacco blend w/ toffee and cherry) which I also use on occasion when I crave a bit of the sweeter vape.

Lastly, I have a 17mm Animodz Chiwawa dripper that I have setup with a 325 SS mesh slug that I really only use as a juice tester.

281sau.jpg

sl62zb.jpg

Everything is setup with either 28g or 30g wire, anywhere between 0.9- 1.1ohms. With exception of the Chiwawa that I use with a regulated Dicodes Dani Extreme, I run everything off a mechanical device, in either 18650 or 18500 size.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use mesh for a few reasons:

1. I don't like vaping max VG juices that are loaded with sucralose/sweeteners anymore; I personally think cotton is better suited for those ultra-sweet-creamy/dessert type flavors.
2. I'm a MTL vaper, don't like vaping like I'm using an asthma inhaler. I tend to like the airhole around 1.1-1.4mm which I think is ideal for mesh.
3. Over the years I've gone back to higher PG blends, so I tend to stick to 400 mesh.
4. Flavor. Its subjective on what is considered good, stellar or poor, but once I started gravitating more towards tobacco based flavors, either NET's like Blacknote or a fancy blend like the Vaponaute line, mesh was the only wicking material I found that was able to bring out the flavors that I currently enjoy.
5. Ease of use, very maintenance free. Once setup right, aside from an occasional dry burn and clean, you can go months on end before you need to change your coil.

I use a LeZephyr with 400 mesh as my primary vape, I have a wick-hole reducer so have it at a 2.5mm diameter. Juice of choice is Vaponaute Botanics Le Classique @12mg (brown and blonde tobacco blend) or Vaponautes Night Flight @12mg (coffee, almond & whiskey)

9uw5le.jpg

I also have 2 other gennies that I use time to time:

Sat22 w/ 400 mesh, juice of choice is Blacknote Sonata @18mg (a cavendish tobacco blend) or Blacknote Prelude @18mg (Virginia tobacco) that I use time to time which I find pairs really nicely with a good whiskey ;)

MCR303 w/ 400 mesh wrapped on SS cable. Juice of choice is Vaponaute's On the Storm @6mg. (pear/cognac/tobacco blend with star anise) or Vaponaute's Into The Wild @6mg(tobacco blend w/ toffee and cherry) which I also use on occasion when I crave a bit of the sweeter vape.

Lastly, I have a 17mm Animodz Chiwawa dripper that I have setup with a 325 SS mesh slug that I really only use as a juice tester.

281sau.jpg

sl62zb.jpg

Everything is setup with either 28g or 30g wire, anywhere between 0.9- 1.1ohms. With exception of the Chiwawa that I use with a regulated Dicodes Dani Extreme, I run everything off a mechanical device, in either 18650 or 18500 size.
Hey Ken, that Le Zeyphr is a killer atty....honestly I've never vaped a creamy or baked good juice, so I'm not sure what they are like in cotton or mesh....could you give us some of your wick builds....bye the way what do you think of the nanos

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use it in my Steam turbine and Sat22 genetanks. 300 is coarsest I have tried.

Going to buy some this week. Want to try it in my avocado. Don't really think it will keep up with the tank. Been running a silica wick In it for 2 weeks. I think Mesh will have the same issues I'm finding with silica. Doesn't wick and hold enough juice for high power vaping.

yeah when I saw the avacado I thought ..cool a fogatti on steroids...about as low as I can go with mesh is about .6 and only if I have a 3mm wick.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah when I saw the avacado I thought ..cool a fogatti on steroids...about as low as I can go with mesh is about .6 and only if I have a 3mm wick.
When I get more mesh. The plan is for Doing cotton cored SS mesh U-wick. The holes in the avocado are huge. Figure make a cotton wick as I would for say a 2mm or2.5 mm id coil. Wrap that in mesh. Then do a dual vert build, with the block in or a U-wick.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Ken, that Le Zeyphr is a killer atty....honestly I've never vaped a creamy or baked good juice, so I'm not sure what they are like in cotton or mesh....could you give us some of your wick builds....bye the way what do you think of the nanos

My builds are pretty simple:

335b2uh.jpg

I've tried bakery & creamy juices in my genny and the flavor isn't anything more than I can get off a standard coil with cotton, actually, much less, at least that is what I perceived. Probably why chinomizers and big coils are so popular now, its just a reflection on what is selling the most within the juice market. Most of the juices nowadays are formulated to be cooked at high temperatures, so I think no matter how good your genisis build is, its not going to perform well. Vice versa too, I've tried one of my favorite juices with a friends low res clapton coil RDA, and it tasted like I was vaping potpourri and paint thinner.

Nanos is my current fave mech, and also the shortest. The button is one of the best I've used. Its a very light magnetic switch that you click a quarter turn to lock/unlock. Its like an improved Calvert switch if you have ever tried one of those mechs. Can be used with either 18350, 18500, or 18650 batteries, flat or button top. Easy to disassemble, adjust and change batteries. Rhodium plated contacts, fires great. Same company that made the Poldiac mech.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My builds are pretty simple:

335b2uh.jpg

I've tried bakery & creamy juices in my genny and the flavor isn't anything more than I can get off a standard coil with cotton, actually, much less, at least that is what I perceived. Probably why chinomizers and big coils are so popular now, its just a reflection on what is selling the most within the juice market. Most of the juices nowadays are formulated to be cooked at high temperatures, so I think no matter how good your genisis build is, its not going to perform well. Vice versa too, I've tried one of my favorite juices with a friends low res clapton coil RDA, and it tasted like I was vaping potpourri and paint thinner.

Nanos is my current fave mech, and also the shortest. The button is one of the best I've used. Its a very light magnetic switch that you click a quarter turn to lock/unlock. Its like an improved Calvert switch if you have ever tried one of those mechs. Can be used with either 18350, 18500, or 18650 batteries, flat or button top. Easy to disassemble, adjust and change batteries. Rhodium plated contacts, fires great. Same company that made the Poldiac mech.
I've been mixing my own juice for a bout a year now, so I'm not to hip to what's going on in the juice world.....I'm curious about that blacknote you've raved about,but the price is a bit dear to make a habit out of it, also I'm a bit sensitive to PG and usually stay at 75% VG...but I think I'd like to try them for a treat once in awhile.. ....I was talking about how people build their wicks not so much their coils...'L" wicks..cinnawicks, wicks within wicks..ect...

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been mixing my own juice for a bout a year now, so I'm not to hip to what's going on in the juice world.....I'm curious about that blacknote you've raved about,but the price is a bit dear to make a habit out of it, also I'm a bit sensitive to PG and usually stay at 75% VG...but I think I'd like to try them for a treat once in awhile.. ....I was talking about how people build their wicks not so much their coils...'L" wicks..cinnawicks, wicks within wicks..ect...

Oh, I usually build dual single wicks, not sure what its called but I oxidize the outer wick with a large diameter, then slip in anther wick that I don't oxidize down the center. Dont know why, but it wicks noticeably better than if I just use a single straw type mesh wick.

I don't mind the high price of Blacknote since it takes me well over a month to finish a 30ml bottle, so it doesn't bother me at all; personally, its money well spent since its an extremely high quality juice specifically tailored towards tobacco connoisseurs.

Take a look here if you haven't already: https://www.blacknote.com/why-black-note/

Best of all, zero gunking, you can easily go several months without having to clean the wick/coil.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ummm.... yeah, I still use mesh, it's all I've ever used and it's done everything I've asked of it. I'm happy with it :)

I roll solid 2.5mm wicks with 325 mesh and those work grandly for me.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but it works for me.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I refuse to use silica due to silica dust and its similarity as a material to asbestos and fiberglass.

SS Mesh I have not used in years but one of the things I remember about it was the crisp flavor not even cotton will ever compare to. The one thing I will say about the old genesis tanks, DAMN they had flavor if you built them right. I'm almost tempted to go buy one just to experience that again..

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I refuse to use silica due to silica dust and its similarity as a material to asbestos and fiberglass.

SS Mesh I have not used in years but one of the things I remember about it was the crisp flavor not even cotton will ever compare to. The one thing I will say about the old genesis tanks, DAMN they had flavor if you built them right. I'm almost tempted to go buy one just to experience that again..
yeah and in the ensuing years the quality of flavor from the newer generations of gennys is even far better than the first generations of gennys.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

You should go back at it and give it another try. I've always been happy with my gennies, and have 22 of them. Only kind of atomizer I use. What genny do you think you might buy if you did?

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah and in the ensuing years the quality of flavor from the newer generations of gennys is even far better than the first generations of gennys.

I'm curious to know what newer gennies you might recommend. I've been looking into the SAT22, but they are pretty hard to find, and I'm only interested in authentics.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
If I did get an old school genesis atomizer I'd probably go with the Cobra, wanted one for a while. The G22 is what I REALLY want though. The Z-Atty Zen is nice too.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I did get an old school genesis atomizer I'd probably go with the Cobra, wanted one for a while. The G22 is what I REALLY want though. The Z-Atty Zen is nice too.

Oh... gee... I have a Z Atty U I was quite thoroughly disappointed with, but if you want it I'm open to offers. I found it an offensive affront to my building and vaping style. It gathers dust in the corner cigar box. IMO you are better off with the DID. $53 from MMV. Get the brass center posts and the glass tank when you order it.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will sometimes use SS mesh in my squonk RDA's if doing a simple coil......best flavor possible IMO
we need to talk.....I need to mine your experince for vaping with mesh in a squonker and what attys you would recommend......best possible flavor to me is.....a porous ceramic wick like the fc-2000 in a genny.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Z-atty was crap...nicely built pretty but just not a great flavor genny.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm curious to know what newer gennies you might recommend. I've been looking into the SAT22, but they are pretty hard to find, and I'm only interested in authentics.
well you said you had a BMG-22..which I think is one of the best flavor gennys ever built..most of the gennys I like are out of production, my single favorite all around genny for a variety of reasons is the Pulse G from RM mods, I always thought the stormrider from steamboy was a really good mid range atty..the Le Zephyr, the IN"AX and nextgen style attys alot of people like. the Rocket R,..the Sat 22 is good but it gets real hot I like small chambered gennys but with a big top cap which acts like a heat sink. the Lon I liked better than the Satburn...but as you know nobody much is producing gennys anymore...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh... gee... I have a Z Atty U I was quite thoroughly disappointed with, but if you want it I'm open to offers. I found it an offensive affront to my building and vaping style. It gathers dust in the corner cigar box. IMO you are better off with the DID. $53 from MMV. Get the brass center posts and the glass tank when you order it.
The fucking DID.... never owned one, but by God that is a genny that has busted the balls of more vapers than anyone I've heard of...the people who have mastered the DID loved them, those that couldn't master the DID are legion and strewn across the vaping landscape..even today I will hear people tell me stories of how the DID reduced them to blubbering infants who swore of gennys forever.....LOL

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The fucking DID.... never owned on, but by God that is a genny that has busted the balls of more vapers than anyone I've heard of...the people who have mastered the DID loved them, those that couldn't master the DID are legion and strewn across the vaping landscape..even today I will hear people tell me stories of how the DID reduced them to blubbering infants who swore of gennys forever.....LOL

WOW!!! REALLY????

I'm shocked! I really am! To me the DID was my arrival in genny building! It has been the charm of my vaping existence! I'm about to buy a 7th DID. I SO TOTALLY LOVE THE DID!!!

That anyone could be unable to build on it or master it just flies right over my head! All I can conclude is that they:

1. cannot roll a mesh wick for beans
2. cannot hand wind a coil for beans.
3. cannot get both working right on a build deck.

In which case they need to get some kind of Kfunny or some sad dripper rig and have someone else make their coils for them.. and install them too!

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WOW!!! REALLY????
Oh fuck yeah...I'm always hearing stories from people who find out I vape gennys, about how the DID broke their asses and how it drove them away from gennys forever...but in all fairness I really doubt it was the atty's fault...most likely any gennys would have busted their balls...

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
we need to talk.....I need to mine your experince for vaping with mesh in a squonker and what attys you would recommend......best possible flavor to me is.....a porous ceramic wick like the fc-2000 in a genny.
any side or top airflow rda would work fine with using mesh on a squonker....the bottom airflow rda's put the air ports where your mesh would need to go.

Just build vertical coils, roll your mesh the standard way, and insert so that the bottom of the wick just touches the deck (make sure the top isn't so long that it will touch the top cap...was an issue with my derringer), It takes some time to work out all of the micro shorts, but once your coil is glowing properly, you are good to go, and don't have to worry about rewicking for a long long time, just an occasional dry burn (I always quench mine in cold water after dry burning, really cleans them up nice).

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
well you said you had a BMG-22..which I think is one of the best flavor gennys ever built..most of the gennys I like are out of production, my single favorite all around genny for a variety of reasons is the Pulse G from RM mods, I always thought the stormrider from steamboy was a really good mid range atty..the Le Zephyr, the IN"AX and nextgen style attys alot of people like. the Rocket R,..the Sat 22 is good but it gets real hot I like small chambered gennys but with a big top cap which acts like a heat sink. the Lon I liked better than the Satburn...but as you know nobody much is producing gennys anymore...

My favorite flavor genny was the Kraken :D

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
any side or top airflow rda would work fine with using mesh on a squonker....the bottom airflow rda's put the air ports where your mesh would need to go.

Just build vertical coils, roll your mesh the standard way, and insert so that the bottom of the wick just touches the deck (make sure the top isn't so long that it will touch the top cap...was an issue with my derringer), It takes some time to work out all of the micro shorts, but once your coil is glowing properly, you are good to go, and don't have to worry about rewicking for a long long time, just an occasional dry burn (I always quench mine in cold water after dry burning, really cleans them up nice).
I like building a mesh slug wick for drippers, but what I really wanted to know is it really efficent to use mesh in a squonker...does mesh wick enough to make them a practical and enjoyable vape in a squonker.

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like building a mesh slug wick for drippers, but what I really wanted to know is it really efficent to use mesh in a squonker...does mesh wick enough to make them a practical and enjoyable vape in a squonker.

short answer, yes.
If you roll your mesh tight enough, you can get a good 3-4 vapes off of it between squonks....more if the squonk hole is raised above the deck (like my derringer), or one of those new squonkable rta's. You get less vape time then a cotton wick, but worth it for the increased flavor.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WOW!!! REALLY????

I'm shocked! I really am! To me the DID was my arrival in genny building! It has been the charm of my vaping existence! I'm about to buy a 7th DID. I SO TOTALLY LOVE THE DID!!!

That anyone could be unable to build on it or master it just flies right over my head! All I can conclude is that they:

1. cannot roll a mesh wick for beans
2. cannot hand wind a coil for beans.
3. cannot get both working right on a build deck.

In which case they need to get some kind of Kfunny or some sad dripper rig and have someone else make their coils for them.. and install them too!
In my experince people either hated the DID or they absoloutely loved the DID not alot of the middle of the ground sorts...yeah well there is a big learning curve to using a genny.... it is much easier to stuff cotton in a coil...if you have little to no talent with using your hands it is understandable that you would be discouraged by gennys....The DID just happened to be a sought after genny at that time and the one people decide to try and cut their teeth on...and when it didn't worked they assumed it was because the atty was particularly difficult.to work on,

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
short answer, yes.
If you roll your mesh tight enough, you can get a good 3-4 vapes off of it between squonks....more if the squonk hole is raised above the deck (like my derringer), or one of those new squonkable rta's. You get less vape time then a cotton wick, but worth it for the increased flavor.
I was thinking of using the Hadaly....

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh fuck yeah...I'm always hearing stories from people who find out I vape gennys, about how the DID broke their asses and how it drove them away from gennys forever...but in all fairness I really doubt it was the atty's fault...most likely any gennys would have busted their balls...

Over a long time now I've read posts from vapers who either could or could not roll a decent mesh wick. Either you can do it our you cannot. From what I've seen surprisingly few can.

From there it goes to can you get your hand wound coil firing evenly on your wick, and still more fall out in failure there. These two things determine if you are a genny user or not. Lot's of genny and mesh bashers result from their own inabilities in these two areas. Those who can't roll a decent mesh wick no matter how they try end up bashing mesh, like GrimmGreen on YouTube. The dude just ain't got it, and the mesh isn't the problem.

Last edited:

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

The DID is a beautiful genny! I have six of them now and a 7th on the way. I just totally love the DID! The only possible weakness in it is the top insulator, and I have that covered. My first genny was an AGA-T2 and that thing was a cantankerous animal to build on, but I got it down pat. If you can build on that little monster you can build on any genny, so when I got my first DID I was in love! Just get the brass center post and jam nuts for it when you order it, and the glass tank.

Anyone who can't build on a DID should choose another course of vaping, other than gennies.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Over a long time now I've read posts from vapers who either could or could not roll a decent mesh wick. Either you can do it our you cannot. From what I've seen surprisingly few can.

From there it goes to can you get it firing evenly on your wick, and still more fall out in failure there. These two things determine if you are a genny user or not. Lot's of genny and mesh bashers result from their own inabilities in these two areas. Those who can't roll a decent mesh wick no matter how they try end up bashing mesh, like GrimmGreen on YouTube. The dude just ain't got it, and the mesh isn't the problem.
yep...it's big learning curve...GrimmGreen is a dipshit and Riptrippers videos on gennys are little better..neither one of them ever learned how to build a genny worth a shit.
I tell people it took me 6 months to build a genny right...and after a year I REALLY learned how to build a genny right...people don't play with them enough..there are alot of different ways to build a wick and they should try different wicks out..The other thing I think happens alot is they choke the wick they wrap the coil on it so tight it shuts off the flow of juice and cuts int their wicks creating hotspots, also hot legs are the bane of their existence.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The DID is a beautiful genny! I have six of them now and a 7th on the way. I just totally love the DID! The only possible weakness in it is the top insulator, and I have that covered. My first genny was an AGA-T2 and that thing was a cantankerous animal to build on, but I got it down pat. If you can build on that little monster you can build on any genny, so when I got my first DID I was in love! Anyone who can't build on a DID should choose another course of vaping, other than gennies.
LOL..took the words right out of my mouth...I cut my teeth on the AGA-T2 as well and you're right if you can build on that piece of shit you can build on anything. I still think it was a better genny than the AC-9/RSST...I never owned a DID but I just got a Nanos mod from MMV which I think is great.

what problem did you have with the BMG-22....have you ever tried ceramics in a genny it is da bombdidely

Last edited:

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my experince people either hated the DID or they absoloutely loved the DID not alot of the middle of the ground sorts...yeah well there is a big learning curve to using a genny.... it is much easier to stuff cotton in a coil...if you have little to no talent with using your hands it is understandable that you would be discouraged by gennys....The DID just happened to be a sought after genny at that time and the one people decide to try and cut their teeth on...and when it didn't worked they assumed it was because the atty was particularly difficult.to work on,

Well if you started out focusing on gennies when you began vaping and really worked it, putting what effort you had into it gennies were not a hard game to get into. You didn't just go to the B&M and buy a pack of coils to screw into your atty and screw that onto your Provari, you did it all yourself, winding your coils by hand, evenly, checking their resistance, and you rolled your mesh wicks uniformly and evenly by hand, developing your technique over time, and you worked out how they fired on your wick artfully by hand, and you learned mesh wick rolling the hard way, and when you had it down it was like tying your shoes. That's where I am with it. That's where I'm comfortable.

I can understand why others don't want to invest that kind of effort into it, I just don't respect that.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if you started out focusing on gennies when you began vaping and really worked it, putting what effort you had into it gennies were not a hard game to get into. You didn't just go to the B&M and buy a pack of coils to screw into your atty and screw that onto your Provari, you did it all yourself, winding your coils by hand, evenly, and you rolled your mesh wicks uniformly and evenly by hand, developing your technique over time, and you worked out how they fired on your wick artfully by hand, and you learned mesh wick rolling the hard way, and when you had it down it was like tying your shoes. That's where I am with it. That's where I'm comfortable.

I can understand why others don't want to invest that kind of effort into it, I just don't respect that.
I love the skill that is put in to building the complex wires that some drippers use and I think their coils work really great, but after 4 decades of smoking my lungs just can't handle the kind of heat they vape at though I have built complex wires and enjoy doing it for the fun of it. but back in the day if you wanted to vape with a tank the genny was the only game in town so you were forced to learn...but apart from that .1) I enjoy a lesirurely restricted lung hit like the one I get from a cigarette instead of the aqualung pulls of drippers.2) I still haven't found a better wick for flavor than mesh with the exception of porous ceramic which is expensive and time consuming. I have decided to try and use SS wire on my gennys..my hope is that the flavor will be cleaner,and that the wire is soft enough that it will lay down closer to the coil than Kanthal

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love the skill that is put in to building the complex wires that some drippers use and I think their coils work really great, but after 4 decades of smoking my lungs just can't handle the kind of heat they vape at though I have built complex wires and enjoy doing it for the fun of it. but back in the day if you wanted to vape with a tank the genny was the only game in town so you were forced to learn...but apart from that .1) I enjoy a lesirurely restricted lung hit like the one I get from a cigarette instead of the aqualung pulls of drippers.2) I still haven't found a better wick for flavor than mesh with the exception of porous ceramic which is expensive and time consuming. I have decided to try and use SS wire on my gennys..my hope is that the flavor will be cleaner,and that the wire is soft enough that it will lay down closer to the coil than Kanthal

Well it has been my own experience that a single wire .7 ohm coil in a 6/5 wrap with 26 kanthal over a 2.5 mm 325 mesh wick does the trick for me, and I was heavily into 2.5 packs a day of Morleys. I'm vaping DIY juice at 10mg nic. I never did drippers. Something about them was just basically offensive to me. I have to agree with you about mesh v. ceramic, I tried ceramic, found it far too brittle and easy to break while coiling.

I use 26 kanthal in a 6/5 wrap over a 2.5 mm 325 mesh wick at .7 ohm and that works great for me with a 5./64ths air hole. Your mileage may vary.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Well I've used nothing but SS mesh for 4 years now, and the flavor is great, wicking is great. and it does everything I've asked of it. Tried cotton 3 years ago, and it just did not deliver as did mesh. Went right back to mesh.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well it has been my own experience that a single wire .7 ohm coil in a 6/5 wrap with 26 kanthal over a 2.5 mm 325 mesh wick does the trick for me, and I was heavily into 2.5 packs a day of Morleys. I'm vaping DIY juice at 10mg nic. I never did drippers. Something about them was just basically offensive to me. I have to agree with you about mesh v. ceramic, I tried ceramic, found it far too brittle and easy to break while coiling.

I use 26 kanthal in a 6/5 wrap over a 2.5 mm 325 mesh wick at .7 ohm and that works great for me with a 5./64ths air hole. Your mileage may vary.
I use differnt gennys for different draws some are tight like my BMG22 and some are sizeable draws like the le zephyr with a 4mm wick and big airflow.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LOL..took the words right out of my mouth...I cut my teeth on the AGA-T2 as well and you're right if you can build on that piece of shit you can build on anything. I still think it was a better genny than the AC-9/RSST...I never owned a DID but I just got a Nanos mod from MMV which I think is great.

what problem did you have with the BMG-22....have you ever tried ceramics in a genny it is da bombdidely

Well I got the BMG 22 in a cobbled together trade on ECF in which I got a Poldiac I was after. I didn't ask for it, he just included it, and I found it had sealing problems in the tank, which spins on the O rings, and you can't put a 6/5 wrap 26 kanthal coil on it without it hitting the lockdown on the neg post and screwing up your resistance. So I'm not enamoured of the BMG 22. It gathers dust next to the other bad vaping buys in the corner cigar box.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use differnt gennys for different draws some are tight like my BMG22 and some are sizeable draws like the le zephyr with a 4mm wick and big airflow.

Draw is a self engineered matter. I have 7 DID's. all of them have the air holes drilled to 5/64ths.

VU Sponsors