Become a Patron!

Do you still use SS mesh?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I got the BMG 22 in a cobbled together trade on ECF in which I got a Poldiac I was after. I didn't ask for it, he just included it, and I found it had sealing problems in the tank, which spins on the O rings, and you can't put a 6/5 wrap 26 kanthal coil on it without it hitting the lockdown on the neg post and screwing up your resistance. So I'm not enamoured of the BMG 22. It gathers dust next to the other bad vaping buys in the corner cigar box.
I just recently got my hands on a Calibre 22.4

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I've used nothing but SS mesh for 4 years now, and the flavor is great, wicking is great. and it does everything I've asked of it. Tried cotton 3 years ago, and it just did not deliver as did mesh. Went right back to mesh.
Yeah been thinking of dabbling with mesh for my lower power Tootie Puffer builds.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm curious to know what newer gennies you might recommend. I've been looking into the SAT22, but they are pretty hard to find, and I'm only interested in authentics.

The Sat22 is an excellent single coil/wick genisis tank, but downside is the top-cap is thin, so if you use wire thicker than 28g, and/or build at a fairly low resistance, the tank can get super hot very quickly. I find that 29-30g wire at around .9-1.1ohm is ideal, and the tight draw/micro-chamber combo really pops the flavors.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Sat22 is an excellent single coil/wick genisis tank, but downside is the top-cap is thin, so if you use wire thicker than 28g, and/or build at a fairly low resistance, the tank can get super hot very quickly. I find that 29-30g wire at around .9-1.1ohm is ideal, and the tight draw/micro-chamber combo really pops the flavors.
it reminded me of Doc Dave's micro mini. they get hot.

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I think I started vaping right when the Kraken and Steam Turbine were a thing and I only built them out with cotton. My vaping style has changed over the years and about 4 months ago started getting interested in mesh. My first true Genny was the Nextiny and use it almost every day. Now in my journey of mesh I have mostly used #200, because I vape mostly 70vg, one thing I didn't realize is that there is such a thing as horrible mesh. So about 2 weeks ago I bought the In'Ax Carto for my Billet Box and also bought some #200sf from Vapors Hobby Shop and I must say this stuff is GREAT!! I do have a few questions with this guy but im heading in the right direction because every time I build it, it improves. So here are a couple questions if anyone can help. Unlike the Nextiny the depth of the hole that the mesh goes into is much deeper on the In'Ax and goes well below the juice inlet holes. On the Nextiny the depth stops right at the bottom of those holes. So my first few builds I let the mesh go to the bottom and at 4.2v I was getting dry hits. So about a half hour ago I cut my mesh about 1/4 inch smaller to sit at the bottom of the holes on the In'Ax and at this point I seem to be getting better results. Does this make sense or has anyone else found the same? Second, if vaping a higher vg juice would a thinner wick make more sense? Thanks in advance for any help and if you haven't tried mesh you should!!! It has given the hobby of vaping new life for me. I was building crazy alien coils and what not last year and mesh does the same with flavor due to the small spaces for eliquid to set in.IMG_20170520_235641417.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I think I started vaping right when the Kraken and Steam Turbine were a thing and I only built them out with cotton. My vaping style has changed over the years and about 4 months ago started getting interested in mesh. My first true Genny was the Nextiny and use it almost every day. Now in my journey of mesh I have mostly used #200, because I vape mostly 70vg, one thing I didn't realize is that there is such a thing as horrible mesh. So about 2 weeks ago I bought the In'Ax Carto for my Billet Box and also bought some #200sf from Vapors Hobby Shop and I must say this stuff is GREAT!! I do have a few questions with this guy but im heading in the right direction because every time I build it, it improves. So here are a couple questions if anyone can help. Unlike the Nextiny the depth of the hole that the mesh goes into is much deeper on the In'Ax and goes well below the juice inlet holes. On the Nextiny the depth stops right at the bottom of those holes. So my first few builds I let the mesh go to the bottom and at 4.2v I was getting dry hits. So about a half hour ago I cut my mesh about 1/4 inch smaller to sit at the bottom of the holes on the In'Ax and at this point I seem to be getting better results. Does this make sense or has anyone else found the same? Second, if vaping a higher vg juice would a thinner wick make more sense? Thanks in advance for any help and if you haven't tried mesh you should!!! It has given the hobby of vaping new life for me. I was building crazy alien coils and what not last year and mesh does the same with flavor due to the small spaces for eliquid to set in.View attachment 82765
well the In'ax and the nextiny are not traditional gennys so I'd be hard pressed to say ...I never really liked the gennys with the wick wrapped around the center post like the in ax and the nextgen. I always got better flavor from more conventional gennys..all I can say is how wierd it is that no two gennys seem to wick the same ...some gennys wick great no problem, and some are finicky and you have to build your wick different for it. It maybe your wick was so long it was sitting on the base of the atty and so it couldn't wick or it could be that the wick was so long that it didn't wick efficently it took to long to deliver the juice to the coil...The reason most people get fustrated with mesh is they think that the hotspots are screwing them up..I think the truth is they never learned how to build a proper wick...you have to see what works for your juice and your atty..I can't tell you how many so called "tests" people have done to prove that such and such type of mesh is best for wicking, and what such and such wick is the fastest wicking, and they all have this psuedo scientific rationale, but it's all bullshit..a wick just doesn't wick the juice it has to be able to HOLD alot of juice and that will depend on how low you are building your coil. some people say tight fit in the wickhole some say a loose fit in the wickhole..you have to play around with your atty and your style of vaping to see which wick, and which mesh works for you. the gennys with the wick around the centerpost don't have the advantage of the genny tilt affecting their vape nearly as much as a conventional atty they are going to rely on cappilary action far more....I vape about 75% VG and I use a wick within a wick of 200 and 300 mesh I can't imagine using 200 superfine for vaping heavy VG juices ...although I saw a test done years ago of a large tightly rolled # 500 mesh being the best wicking for VG juice ...in that instance you are relying on total capillary action.
Years ago UD built a genny called I think the AGA T-3 alot of the ideas of the nexgennys and In'ax were taken from that little atty...Hell I think it was a better vape than the nexgen, but it was design very similar to what you are talking about and I had the same problem you did...I built my wick a little shorter kept it off the base of the atty and it really improved the wicking...Actually I think the design of the In'ax and the nexgens had more to do with ease of building than they did with the quality of the vape.

Last edited:

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well the In'ax and the nextiny are not traditional gennys so I'd be hard pressed to say ...I never really liked the gennys with the wick wrapped around the center post like the in ax and the nextgen. I always got better flavor from more conventional gennys..all I can say is how wierd it is that no two gennys seem to wick the same ...some gennys wick great no problem, and some are finicky and you have to build your wick different for it. It maybe your wick was so long it was sitting on the base of the atty and so it couldn't wick or it could be that the wick was so long that it didn't wick efficently it took to long to deliver the juice to the coil...The reason most people get fustrated with mesh is they think that the hotspots are screwing them up..I think the truth is they never learned how to build a proper wick...you have to see what works for your juice and your atty..I can't tell you how many so called "tests" people have done to prove that such and such type of mesh is best for wicking, and what such and such wick is the fastest wicking, and they all have this psuedo scientific rationale, but it's all bullshit..a wick just doesn't wick the juice it has to be able to HOLD alot of juice and that will depend on how low you are building your coil. some people say tight fit in the wickhole some say a loose fit in the wickhole..you have to play around with your atty and your style of vaping to see which wick, and which mesh works for you. the gennys with the wick around the centerpost don't have the advantage of the genny tilt affecting their vape nearly as much as a conventional atty they are going to rely on cappilary action far more....I vape about 75% VG and I use a wick within a wick of 200 and 300 mesh I can't imagine using 200 superfine for vaping heavy VG juices ...although I saw a test done years ago of a large tightly rolled # 500 mesh being the best wicking for VG juice ...in that instance you are relying on total capillary action.
Years ago UD built a genny called I think the AGA T-3 alot of the ideas of the nexgennys and In'ax were taken from that little atty...Hell I think it was a better vape than the nexgen.Actually I think the design of the In'ax and the nexgens had more to do with ease of building than they did with the quality of the vape.

Thank you for the input. My first problem was with the coils being too tight until I learned to just lay the wire on the mesh instead of wrapping the wire on the mesh. After that everything started working much better. I just found after getting the #200sf hot spots seem to not happen nearly as much as the other mesh I was using on the same attys. With this stuff I torch, roll, coil and only have to fiddle a little and it's ready to go. Maybe I just got better over the last few months. I think the problem I was having was the wick setting on the base and the liquid wasn't easily getting into the wick very well. Because this last one seems to be much more "juicy" of a hit. I have it built out to .9 and seems to be keeping up much better.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the input. My first problem was with the coils being too tight until I learned to just lay the wire on the mesh instead of wrapping the wire on the mesh. After that everything started working much better. I just found after getting the #200sf hot spots seem to not happen nearly as much as the other mesh I was using on the same attys. With this stuff I torch, roll, coil and only have to fiddle a little and it's ready to go. Maybe I just got better over the last few months. I think the problem I was having was the wick setting on the base and the liquid wasn't easily getting into the wick very well. Because this last one seems to be much more "juicy" of a hit. I have it built out to .9 and seems to be keeping up much better.
yeah choking the wick is why most people get hot spots and can't get rid of them...the coil isn't shorting the reason they have a hotspot is there's no juice in the wick because they chocked the wick...they are basiclly dry burning their wick.

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Years ago UD built a genny called I think the AGA T-3 alot of the ideas of the nexgennys and In'ax were taken from that little atty...Hell I think it was a better vape than the nexgen, but it was design very similar to what you are talking about and I had the same problem you did...I built my wick a little shorter kept it off the base of the atty and it really improved the wicking...Actually I think the design of the In'ax and the nexgens had more to do with ease of building than they did with the quality of the vape.

Could you explain the wick in a wick technique and what it achieves if you don't mind?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could you explain the wick in a wick technique and what it achieves if you don't mind?
it's used in conventional gennys , but I don't see why it wouldn't work in a center wrap genny either....you build what is called a straw wick a wick that resembles a straw around a drill bit..just a ss mesh straw that you torch and prime like any other wick then you insert the drill bit back into the straw pop it in the atty and wrap your coil around it. after that you pop the drill bit out...then you build another wick that is small enough to slide into the straw wick. and you just slide it in..usually the straw wick is made out of a tighter mesh than the inside wick, but sometimes the same weave is used for both wicks.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what it achieves is it wicks really well...and it seems to hold more juice in the wick...I think the dual wicks create a better capillary action..much like ss cable wicks.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what it achieves is it wicks really well...and it seems to hold more juice in the wick...I think the dual wicks create a better capillary action..much like ss cable wicks.

That what I've noticed too, I pretty much stick to dual wicks now; for the resistance, power output and juice viscosity I like, a 400 outer with a 325 inner wick performs right at my sweet spot.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That what I've noticed too, I pretty much stick to dual wicks now; for the resistance, power output and juice viscosity I like, a 400 outer with a 325 inner wick performs right at my sweet spot.
what do you think about the center wrap wick gennys like the In'ax and the nexgen.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
wwf29h.jpg

I used to have the carto version of the Inax. My biggest gripe was the grip sticks to hold the wire, it worked fine but was sort of a pain at first. If I had a Billet Box then I probably would have kept it, but at the time I was just using old cartomizer tanks so I sort of lost interest with it since I had other genesis tanks that were much easier to setup and use.

qwzm8x.jpg

Nextiny tank is probably my second favorite genny to date, it checked off all the boxes for me for everything from flavor, looks, ease of build, etc... While not exactly "leak-proof" it was definitely less sensitive to leaving it on its side compared to the more traditional configurations. I also really liked the threaded top positive screw, it had a channel inside where you would just pass the wire through, so I found building on that tank was ridiculously easy, I would definitely recommend it to someone interested in switching over to a genesis tank.

The other nice thing about center wicked design is you don't have to be mindful on which way to tilt the tank, and if you are a box mod user, it doesn't matter which direction the air hole faces so you don't have to think about aligning the tank to face a certain direction. ;)

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
wwf29h.jpg

I used to have the carto version of the Inax. My biggest gripe was the grip sticks to hold the wire, it worked fine but was sort of a pain at first. If I had a Billet Box then I probably would have kept it, but at the time I was just using old cartomizer tanks so I sort of lost interest with it since I had other genesis tanks that were much easier to setup and use.

qwzm8x.jpg

Nextiny tank is probably my second favorite genny to date, it checked off all the boxes for me for everything from flavor, looks, ease of build, etc... While not exactly "leak-proof" it was definitely less sensitive to leaving it on its side compared to the more traditional configurations. I also really liked the threaded top positive screw, it had a channel inside where you would just pass the wire through, so I found building on that tank was ridiculously easy, I would definitely recommend it to someone interested in switching over to a genesis tank.

The other nice thing about center wicked design is you don't have to be mindful on which way to tilt the tank, and if you are a box mod user, it doesn't matter which direction the air hole faces so you don't have to think about aligning the tank to face a certain direction. ;)
I love the Nextiny as well. The only problem I have with it is the top nut sometimes doesn't want to stay tight. If you over tighten it the the post starts to unscrew. This is with 29 and 28 gauge didn't have a problem with 30 or 32. I have been getting pretty good results on this In'Ax build. #200sf cut 3/4" by 2" tightly rolled making sure it's not sitting on the bottom 29g / 4 wrap ends up around 0.9. It's getting tastier on every Boro refill!!IMG_20170525_204006197.jpg IMG_20170525_203842529.jpg

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sitting here enjoying my rta and thinking of all the time spent on making the gennys gives ma a peace of mind knowing now I build a cotton coil and be done with it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sitting here enjoying my rta and thinking of all the time spent on making the gennys gives ma a peace of mind knowing now I build a cotton coil and be done with it.
fuck cotton ......it's like drinking good wine through a filter paper, or sex with a condom.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@pulsevape

Squonking genny...http://www.vapinart.com/cart/InAx-BF-by-Athea-P4207.aspx

One thing I wonder is if it was really necessary to have a 2.5ml tank capacity, I would have preferred a shorter profile since it is a squonker after all. Nevertheless, good to see that real genesis tanks are still being made ;)
good old athea, they won't back down...they don't exactlly give their stuff away though...you know the concern I have about the center wick, is that it seems you are relying totally on capillary action to feed juice to the wick and the tilt plays little influence on delivering juice to the wick.I suppose just making a slightly more dramatic tilt would probablly do the same as the tilt on a conventitonal genny. like I said I had a nexgen and the vape to me wasn't good enough to continue playing around with it to continue experimenting with it to see it's full potential I may have been hasty ...I've never really seen a BF atty that was designed for mesh, years ago there was an Italian atty that was made with a ceramic coating on the bottom of the deck to keep the mesh from shorting,but it never really caught on.I always play with Ideas for making a true mesh squonker/genny atty ..it would use a vertical coil like a genny, it would have a narrow deep well to capture the juice instead of filling a tank, and somehow the juice would be delivered so that the juice drenched the top of the wick and then ran down the length of the wick to fill the juice well....I think it would work but I'm no machinist. I agree a 2.5 tank seems to make squonking redundant...hell if it's a squonker make it a narrow tight .5 ml tank and actually squonk...use the center post to deliver the juice from the top instead of the bottom so it drenches the wick and use the tank as a resivoir for excess juice to drain into and as a tank to keep the wick wet. that way you have both a squonker and a genny you have a glass tank so that you can tell when the juice level is too high in the tank and then you just use it like a genny...you can alternate between squonking and tilting....

Last edited:

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never used anything other than a center post Genny. Although I have given up a few times, because of not having enough knowledge or people around me to help, I always got it working just enough to give me a taste of flavor I have never received even on the fanciest coils. So I would set it down until I felt like having a go again. The most recent attempt came with the purchase of the In'Ax and reading about this #200sf. I was just about to put it up when I ordered it from Zivipf. When it came in I gave it another go and after a light few burns with the torch and a quick coil up without much issue with hot spots at all it all came into focus. I pulled out the Nextasis and did the same and wow just amazing flavor and a pretty decent cloud with it on the 3 smallest hole setting. I don't know much about the capillary action you talk about but I don't have to tilt or anything to keep the wick nice and juicy. On a fresh build I run them around 3.8v for a tank then bump it up to 4-4.4 on the refill without a single dry hit. Im so glad I never gave up and kept trying because the reward is great. I love the wine comparison!!!! Because it's true!!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember fighting with a DID years ago, still have it, some mesh and ceramic somewhere ... good flavor but a PITA!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is a DID?
the DID was made by a company called metal madness vapors MMV...the guys who made things like the Poldiac, and the nanos...great tube mods. The DID was one of the earlier high end gennys. metal tank ...it had a reputation for great flavor, but some people found them very hard to build...people either loved them or it drove them mad.for that time period it was one of the best gennys around blew stuff like the Zen Z-atty out of the water.
They are from Athens Greece, there were alot of really great modders that came out of Greece...and MMV is one of them...

Last edited:

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you sir! If I were to get into a traditional style Genny. Which would you suggest? The smaller the better. I like the Nextiny/Nextasis size atomizers.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you sir! If I were to get into a traditional style Genny. Which would you suggest? The smaller the better. I like the Nextiny/Nextasis size atomizers.
it's a real personal thing..you can ask people Kken is another genhead to ask...first off some of the greatest gennys ever made are not being made anymore, but some of them were cloned, or you have to try and buy a used authentic...for the real small chamber there are things like the Satburn 22, the micro mini by Doc Dave the Rocket and the Rocket R by RSM, those atties tend to get hot it you vape them below say 1 ohm...except fot the Rockets..the Nahaul by Irquidez....I think the stormrider from steamboy was banging ass. some of my favorites are the Pulse G , and the BMG22 (which was never cloned and your chances of finding one is pretty slim)..Kken and I both like the Le Zephyr quite a bit...

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it's a real personal thing..you can ask people Kken is another genhead to ask...first off some of the greatest gennys ever made are not being made anymore, but some of them were cloned, or you have to try and buy a used authentic...for the real small chamber there are things like the Satburn 22, the micro mini by Doc Dave the Rocket and the Rocket R by RSM, those atties tend to get hot it you vape them below say 1 ohm...except fot the Rockets..the Nahaul by Irquidez....I think the stormrider from steamboy was banging ass. some of my favorites are the Pulse G , and the BMG22 (which was never cloned and your chances of finding one is pretty slim)..Kken and I both like the Le Zephyr quite a bit...

Im liking the look of the Le Zephyr. But the wick hole looks HUGE!!! Doesn't this cause issues with the mesh? What size coil are you using?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im liking the look of the Le Zephyr. But the wick hole looks HUGE!!! Doesn't this cause issues with the mesh? What size coil are you using?
nope, not at all ..you just roll a bigger wick..this atty has an adjustable airflow that will allow you to blow some decent clouds...the atty has a wickhole reducer that you can buy to reduce the wickhole size down if you want ....I believe Ken uses it that way.Personally I like building it with a big SS mesh wick and using 4 wraps of 26 gauge Kanthal on it. Originally I believe the idea they were shooting for was a atty you could vape with a small ss mesh wick, and a tight draw... or that you could vape with a cotton wick.and a big draw.I saw a video that Vapornaut put out showing them building it with a cotton wick.I just don't like cotton so I use mesh. I've been wanting to build a big porous ceramic wick for it and see how it rocks.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, all time favorite tank of mine, its actually the last atty I currently own, pretty much liquidated or shelved everything I owned since the LeZephyr definitely checks off all my boxes for the ideal vape.

As for the wick holes, I like to use either 28g or 30g gauge wire with 4 wraps, so I ended up getting the Vaponaute wick hole reducers and dropped it down to a 2.6mm. The resistance is too high with 4 wraps if I use the standard wick hole and reducing the number of wraps kind of changes the flavor IMO.

This is my typical build:
335b2uh.jpg

The reducers are readily available at several places, so still easy to source.

If you are comfortable with center post genisis tanks, and really like the way they perform, no reason to change but if you are curious about trying something new, maybe give the Origenny a go. Available here: http://www.vapinart.com/cart/Origen-Genesis-V2-MKII-4ml-Tank--P1849.aspx

This one is also very customizable with wick hole and airflow if you want to tinker around and see what you can get working for you.

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, all time favorite tank of mine, its actually the last atty I currently own, pretty much liquidated or shelved everything I owned since the LeZephyr definitely checks off all my boxes for the ideal vape.

As for the wick holes, I like to use either 28g or 30g gauge wire with 4 wraps, so I ended up getting the Vaponaute wick hole reducers and dropped it down to a 2.6mm. The resistance is too high with 4 wraps if I use the standard wick hole and reducing the number of wraps kind of changes the flavor IMO.

This is my typical build:
335b2uh.jpg

The reducers are readily available at several places, so still easy to source.

If you are comfortable with center post genisis tanks, and really like the way they perform, no reason to change but if you are curious about trying something new, maybe give the Origenny a go. Available here: http://www.vapinart.com/cart/Origen-Genesis-V2-MKII-4ml-Tank--P1849.aspx

This one is also very customizable with wick hole and airflow if you want to tinker around and see what you can get working for you.

Well you guys have me really thinking about this!!! Im thinking I want the Zephyr. The reducers are available on Oughtvape for $12 which I think is a bit steep but im pretty sure I would want them. Im usually around 4 wraps with 29g and like sitting around 1 ohm. This may be my next purchase. Im also looking at grabbing and MKii 4ml. I really enjoy the taste with mesh. After getting it right it kinda makes you wonder why people use anything else. It's just far superior flavor.

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This guy is just giving me the best flavor but it makes me wonder what else I have missed over the last 5 years!!! What if there is something that gives me even better flavor?IMG_20170602_005000674.jpg

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just saw that this is coming!! Mesh squonk or top fill!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1496446089877.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496446089877.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 18

GrowthCurve

Member For 4 Years
IMG_6054.JPG IMG_6051.JPG IMG_6049.JPG IMG_5948.JPG Longtime genny user. Used them on mechs for a long time, then picked up several Provari when they were closing down.

Was always curious about trying out the Siam Mods Cobra, but could never find them in the US or UK.
Over a period of months, I purchased 6 authentics from Malaysia, and 12 really cheap clones (not the chintzy Chids that first came out) but almost 1:1 clones from a site that is akin to Fasttech. Anyway, i had better luck with the build deck of the clones, because the wick holes are machined just a hair larger than the 2.5mm size that the authentics are machined with. All of the clone and authentic parts are interchangeable.

This diameter of wick works great with the ~1.0-1.2Ω res that i prefer to vape with, yadayada.

My struggles with mesh gennys, esp the Cobras--were due to my failing eyesight. I was missing gaps that i had between the wick and coil. I use drill bit PetarK to build--so i prefer these attys vs the direct wrap Next series--though i have gotten great vapes off of all of my gennys.

Have used DiDs but prefer the Cobras. Cobras tank section/build deck/ center post is one solid spool, thus very little assembly of the atty required.
DiD has separate parts. Both vape pretty much the same, tho i prefer a thinner wick. I drilled out my airhole too much for the DiDs for my liking. If I can find a way to repair the airholes--i will take the DiDs out for another spin.

Rite now i have been going with ~62mm 400 mesh rolled to fit a 2.5mm coil. 6/5 30g nichrome 80. I also coil with 32g or 30g kan. I have a to-go rig that is 32g kan that i have been running for a stupid long time. Never have to even clean,lol.

PulseVape--long time lurker. I am a fan of your posts, they make me belly-laugh. How is the Calibre? I saw Todds reviews on that atty.

Pics of my Cobras, and clone of the Monas. I like Xtra Mile and i hope that they put out more gennys

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 83468 View attachment 83465 View attachment 83466 View attachment 83467 Longtime genny user. Used them on mechs for a long time, then picked up several Provari when they were closing down.

Was always curious about trying out the Siam Mods Cobra, but could never find them in the US or UK.
Over a period of months, I purchased 6 authentics from Malaysia, and 12 really cheap clones (not the chintzy Chids that first came out) but almost 1:1 clones from a site that is akin to Fasttech. Anyway, i had better luck with the build deck of the clones, because the wick holes are machined just a hair larger than the 2.5mm size that the authentics are machined with. All of the clone and authentic parts are interchangeable.

This diameter of wick works great with the ~1.0-1.2Ω res that i prefer to vape with, yadayada.

My struggles with mesh gennys, esp the Cobras--were due to my failing eyesight. I was missing gaps that i had between the wick and coil. I use drill bit PetarK to build--so i prefer these attys vs the direct wrap Next series--though i have gotten great vapes off of all of my gennys.

Have used DiDs but prefer the Cobras. Cobras tank section/build deck/ center post is one solid spool, thus very little assembly of the atty required.
DiD has separate parts. Both vape pretty much the same, tho i prefer a thinner wick. I drilled out my airhole too much for the DiDs for my liking. If I can find a way to repair the airholes--i will take the DiDs out for another spin.

Rite now i have been going with ~62mm 400 mesh rolled to fit a 2.5mm coil. 6/5 30g nichrome 80. I also coil with 32g or 30g kan. I have a to-go rig that is 32g kan that i have been running for a stupid long time. Never have to even clean,lol.

PulseVape--long time lurker. I am a fan of your posts, they make me belly-laugh. How is the Calibre? I saw Todds reviews on that atty.

Pics of my Cobras, and clone of the Monas. I like Xtra Mile and i hope that they put out more gennys

Honestly man...I've always been a big fan of Todds,and I've based alot of my purchases on his reviews...I always thought he had a real good palette and was at heart a passionate flavour chaser..I bought the Pulse G before I saw his review because when they came out,there were no reviews around I was afraid they would all get bought up...Later he gave it one of his best reviews....I bought the BMG-22 based on his review, and it is a lovely lovely vape....I'd like to try and get a G bell because of his review......So based on his review I sought out a Calibre it took a while but I found a guy who sold me his.......and truthfully it's not a very good genny, the flavor is not very good there are a dozen gennys that have better flavour...it is pretty and well built and I believe the only genny made out of titanium, but nothing special about the vape.....a real disapointment....

could you tell me where you got the Mona please...it reminds me very much of this.

hqdefault.jpg

I cut my teeth of the AGA T-2 like alot of us...back then very few people owned high end gear. I was pretty active on ECF back then and I caught a load of crap from my buddies there for paying 140.00 for my first high end genny....Before that and even after I usually vaped Youde stuff..I owned alot of UD gennys....most of them like the T-2 were crap....but UD put out this wierd little genny called the T-3,I don't think very many people ever owned one...I think they thought it was a bit of a joke....but I bought one, and it blew me away, the thing had incredible flavor and vaped really well...it was a pain in the ass and represenative of the enginerring failures UD is known for....the tank was small I think 2 ML..but the bad part was the fill hole was so small that there wasn't enough room to let air escape as juice flowed in.. the positive post was to far from the wickhole so you had to put a washer on the positive post to reach out to the wick or you would get hot legs...but I still think it is a great little atty.....this Mona reminds me alot of the T-3, I'd like to give it a try..

GrowthCurve

Member For 4 Years
Picked up a couple of Monas clones on Fasttech fall 2016. Sadly, these clones were discontinued. Do check tho--or look for the Seed or Monad by Xtra Mile.

Pros--Monas MUCH easier to build than AgaT3. I liked that vape too!! But building on it was a pita. Monas easy to build. I really hope that Xtra Mile the original modders of it steps up production.
Cons--you have to line up two airholes to two ?fill holes on the deck. And cap does not stay on well.

Verdict--nice vape, and i am using it for a honey-tobacco that i like. But i do not believe that you are missing out on anything.

I know what you mean about the fill port on AgaT3. Monas has the same issue if you want to top it off.

I have a lot of gennys, i turned into a nutcase hoarder with the deeming regulations. I have in my collection 4 Line LE (special occasions like my b-day)
I can honestly say that i get just as good a vape from your 'typical' layout--with post, wick hole, and neg lead in a triangular formation. Center wickholes are def easier, tho. Don't know why they were not the norm.

I started on Youde, and used AgaTs until i was bitten by the Cobras.
(except for the T3)--building with Youde was made easier for me by the procurement of a big stash of 2mm stainless steel hex nuts. Youde tends to send crummy nuts with their kits with bad threading. I use 3 hex jam nuts with Aga T and the tiny Aga Titaniums.

Top cap and airholes i think make each genny vape unique. Sorry about your Calibre. I will take a gander at the BMG22.

The whole wick and coil thing for me boils down to figuring out the mechanics of whatever i am trying to build. Then it becomes a battle of making my hands behave how i need them to in order to roll up a wick or pull tension on a wire, and being able to see anything that i am doing.

The populace should thank God that i did not choose brain surgery as my vocation.

Peace,GC

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picked up a couple of Monas clones on Fasttech fall 2016. Sadly, these clones were discontinued. Do check tho--or look for the Seed or Monad by Xtra Mile.

Pros--Monas MUCH easier to build than AgaT3. I liked that vape too!! But building on it was a pita. Monas easy to build. I really hope that Xtra Mile the original modders of it steps up production.
Cons--you have to line up two airholes to two ?fill holes on the deck. And cap does not stay on well.

Verdict--nice vape, and i am using it for a honey-tobacco that i like. But i do not believe that you are missing out on anything.

I know what you mean about the fill port on AgaT3. Monas has the same issue if you want to top it off.

I have a lot of gennys, i turned into a nutcase hoarder with the deeming regulations. I have in my collection 4 Line LE (special occasions like my b-day)
I can honestly say that i get just as good a vape from your 'typical' layout--with post, wick hole, and neg lead in a triangular formation. Center wickholes are def easier, tho. Don't know why they were not the norm.

Top cap and airholes i think make each genny vape unique.

The whole wick and coil thing for me boils down to figuring out the mechanics of whatever i am trying to build. Then it becomes a battle of making my hands behave how i need them to in order to roll up a wick or pull tension on a wire, and being able to see anything that i am doing.

The populace should thank God that i did not choose brain surgery as my vocation.

Peace,GC
always wanted to try a Line LE..they had a great rep ...people who own them usually don't let them go. I like convential gennys they seem to work better when you tilt the atty toward your mouth....I wrap my Pulse G just like a center post design then I just pop in the center post and screw it down...one of the reasons I thnk the Pulse G is one of the best gennys ever designed...the problem I have with the center post designs is I wish the would make the center post alot beefier, as they are now they are delicate and tedious, and I tend to be carless and hard on things.... I'd also like to see them with bigger wickholes for a bigger wick...yeah the top cap and airflow are like a wierd balancing act, and they are not all the same...I have had absolute shit vapes on reduced top caps ...and then on some spectacular vapes....on them.. I still believe there is alot more room for development for gennys.... but they are like cigars as opposed to cigarettes they are not convenient. they are delicious.
Good luck trying to find a BMG-22 they were never cloned, and I had to hunt mine down..eventually the modder Francesco di Marchi got me one ..great guy..but hey ..you never know ..I never thought I'd find the Calibre....alot of people are letting their gennys go....

Last edited:

GrowthCurve

Member For 4 Years
Making a note to check out the Pulse G in detail.
A feature i like is being able to remove the tank to clean w/o disturbing your build. It sounds like the PulseG has this. Cobra tank slides up past the deck so i can rinse
and clean. I rarely clean tho, just rewind a coil. Wicks last forever for me.
If i would have started vaping a month ago, as opposed to 4 yrs ago, i prolly would have gone with a JUUL and be done with it. And spend alot less money. But i discovered gennys and do not feel like vaping anything else.
I'm a gal, so never tried a cigar. But gennys remind me of the corncob pipe that my dad smoked while perched atop his McCormick Farm-all tractor. He let me smoke that thing when i was 8. I felt so grown up lol

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Still use my JUUL on a daily!!! But I picked up a clone Origen V2 to give a try with a traditional genny and I must say......it's pretty tasty!!!! I just made a slug and then put a "straw" inside of it that reaches the bottom of the tank. No problems wicking or anything. The clone I picked up is pretty shitty but wanted to try it out before dropping some dough on the authentic. Here is my first traditional build . Thank you for your help so far! Should I be leaving more mesh above the coil?
IMG_20170603_225614987.jpg

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried a Origenny clone awhile back, not too bad at first, but then I noticed the metal on the positive post started flaking off so in the trash it went. lol
2gt27lv.jpg

Was planning to pick up an authentic, but got sidelined by the MCR303
2m5fds5.jpg

2dul6kp.jpg

Liked it so much I picked up the MK2 caps:
rvknxe.jpg

rw1cw8.jpg

The LeZephyr is still my all time fave, but the MCR303 was pretty close
15g8euh.jpg

14ak95c.jpg

70wg0h.jpg

Oh, and honorable mention to the SAT22 ;)
9u6g6b.jpg

2m5nggg.jpg

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Question for the Mesh Vets. So im still trying to figure out the differance between all the differant types of mesh. From my research it seems that the higher number the thinner the juice must be. Since I started I've been using mostly #200sf from Zivipf and things have been working pretty well but in my head I thought it could get better. I ordered #250 and #325 from the same source and it just came in and I rebuilt the In'Ax carto with the #250 and it seems to be wicking so much better than the #200sf. Am I wrong in thinking that the #200sf would wick the best? What is going to happen when I use the #325? Or is all this just because maybe the build this time is better? Thanks in advance and you guys have been very helpful to me on this journey so far and I appreciate it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Question for the Mesh Vets. So im still trying to figure out the differance between all the differant types of mesh. From my research it seems that the higher number the thinner the juice must be. Since I started I've been using mostly #200sf from Zivipf and things have been working pretty well but in my head I thought it could get better. I ordered #250 and #325 from the same source and it just came in and I rebuilt the In'Ax carto with the #250 and it seems to be wicking so much better than the #200sf. Am I wrong in thinking that the #200sf would wick the best? What is going to happen when I use the #325? Or is all this just because maybe the build this time is better? Thanks in advance and you guys have been very helpful to me on this journey so far and I appreciate it.
usually the lower mesh sizes are used for the higher VG liquids..200..300..325...even 350.....the higher mesh sizes are used for 50/50 juices or the higher PG juices 400..500..200sf....there is no simple answer you have to try different meshes and different styles of wicks, and even the heat or cold of the season will effect wicking...and then different gennys just wick very well and other gennys don't wick as well I had a Hellfire that wicked a dream,but the flavor was no great shakes. ...so the long and the short of it is ..though there are some general thoughts on wick building, don't be afraid to experiment and do things outside the conventional wisdom. You will hear people swear by some "scientific" experiment they did in their bathroom with their cat assissting them, that a tightly rolled wick of 500 mesh stuffed tight in the wick hole vapes the best of all types of juices, then you will hear people that use only the smallest amount of mesh rolling loosely in the wick hole...the ability to wick juice is not the only consideration, the wick must also be able to hold alot of juice. or you will have to rely on the tilt to feed juice to the coil, and there is nothing wrong with doing that either. I vape about 75 % VG so I use an outer wick of 300 and an inner wick of 200....

Droopydroors

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you. So it seems the #200sf wasn't my best choice using 70vg. But it was doing pretty well but the differance with the #250 is quite noticable. And anyone doing a experiment with a cat is obviously going to come out with false data due to the fact that cats are always conspiring against you.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you. So it seems the #200sf wasn't my best choice using 70vg. But it was doing pretty well but the differance with the #250 is quite noticable. And anyone doing a experiment with a cat is obviously going to come out with false data due to the fact that cats are always conspiring against you.
well what do you expect..cat's all use cotton...a sure sign of mental depravity...and low moral fiber.

Hi everyone! I'm new here but have been reading this forum for as long as I can remember. Been vaping for 5 years now and still uses SS Mesh.

The first ss mesh build I did is on an RDTA by UD called AGI sometime in 2013. Below is a 2-ply build around 0.2 ohms with a fine ss mesh (forgot the gauge) on the Hadaly RDA. Awesome awesome vape. Cotton is not even close.

mesh.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everyone! I'm new here but have been reading this forum for as long as I can remember. Been vaping for 5 years now and still uses SS Mesh.

The first ss mesh build I did is on an RDTA by UD called AGI sometime in 2013. Below is a 2-ply build around 0.2 ohms with a fine ss mesh (forgot the gauge) on the Hadaly RDA. Awesome awesome vape. Cotton is not even close.

View attachment 85916
how well does it wick. in the hadalay

GrowthCurve

Member For 4 Years
@KKen beautiful collection! Love the look of the Sat22. I have a really nice clone that i break out on occasion.

I am no expert on anything. Especially mesh, since it can be a fickle beast. But here goes w my observations.
200 wicks well. Too well. I usually vape sweet tobaccos--and my coils would gunk up and turn into carmelized monstrosities fairly quickly. And they would taste burnt

Last year i went up to 300, and then 400. I also tried 500. It doesn't hold up to repeated use. I have since stuck w 400

I vape pg vg mix. Not sure of proportions, maybe 50/50. 400 wicks, solid but not psycho-rolled super tight. I really like the flavour. And i usually only vape at around 10 watts. So my setups last for a few wks even with chain-vaping the crap out of them. I keep the top cap clean, and sometimes GENTLY brush the coil with a pice of clean dry paper towel. My wicks last forever. The one wick i have been running for half a year. When i recoil, i rinse the wick in the sink and stick it into the gas burner on the stove until it is red. I hate rolling wicks.

Prolly the biggest improvement came from me just scrutinizing the coil looking for gaps between the coil and the drill bit. And again after i threaded the wick down in. Holding it against something white, like bounty paper towels helps me, or using the flashlight on my phone.

VU Sponsors