Become a Patron!

Does anyone enjoy sub ohming with low power?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people.

I currently own a sig 30, sig 150 ordered last night, and have a question.

In my sig30, I only liked coils that were slightly higher resistance, 0.9 and above. Whenever I tried, say, 0.5, it just didn't seem 'right'. The flavour seemed off, and it seemed weak.

I am hoping a more powerful device can allow me to enjoy it, as there must be something to this 'sub-ohming' as literally everyone is doing it. I am hoping the more powerful device will allow it to be a bit more powerful feeling, with the correct taste?

So, my question is, does anyone Sub-Ohm on a low wattage device? How do you make it so it is enjoyable? I ask this as My fiancee has taken an interest in vaping, her birthday is on the 26th, so along with her very nice main present, I am going to give her my old 30 watt Sigelei with a new RDA,as she is quitting the stinkies, My nautilus, and a Smoke RSBT2 just to learn with, how to rebuild RDA's and RBA's when she is ready.

I am going to guide her through this, and she knows she is getting the 30 watter as is not really a present as it was used,just more of a gesture so she has her own vape to use, as at the moment whenever I use mine she wants to use it too, so I have a hit, then her, then me, so on lol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a feeling that RDA's are only going to be for higher wattages doing more reading, most of the tanks are rated up to 30 watts. Now, after trying sub ohming at 20-30 watts, I can say I did not like it.

Maybe I should try a different gauge?

EDIT: I was completely wrong. I tried using 28 gauge, 4 wraps to make a 0.5 ohm coil round a 1.2MM driver, and at 25 watts, I really like it. I have never enjoyed it before. I ensured there was enough wicking, loads of airflow, and it is completely different to before. I have only tried 20 and 25, but I enjoyed them.

EDIT2: Ok, I was really wrong. Even at 15 watts its nice. I am going to make a dual coil and see what thats like, as it should be 2 firing at 15 watts on 30.

Last edited:

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Believe it or not, just because the coil can go to a certain level, doesn't mean the juice is going to react the same way. Personally I only sub ohm. and I start with the absolute lowest setting and slowly go up till Im happy. I never focus on going full blast or going as high as the box can go up to...just what works best for what....this is my setup and it really really works..

Joyetech Evit VT box, with Kanger Subtank Rba+ deck pushing a .41 ohm Ti coil, built from Spider Silk Ti Wire @280 with more flavor then I have ever imagined. I can take small puffs or huuuuuuuuuuge ones..all at the press of a nice firm solid button..

A rocking setup like this will really bring out ALL the flavors in the juices and give you a real good idea of whats in it, some flavors you might have once liked may not be so great while others will be so incredible you cant put them down...it really helps separate the good juices from the cheap...You can also really tell who mixes with good Nicotine too.

I said this once, but if any one part of this setup failed or got lost, I would replace it with the exact same component and not switch anything up. Im a creature of habit and I leave things that work alone...and this really really works.. A Hermetic Steam promotion happened to turn me on to 2 flavors that turned into my all day vapes as well .. Making a white and blue setup to match my bike

57C8AA6E-94DF-4BC0-9848-BAE03F63CD8C-8379-000002A457636532_zps68vtnwxq.jpg

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Believe it or not, just because the coil can go to a certain level, doesn't mean the juice is going to react the same way. Personally I only sub ohm. and I start with the absolute lowest setting and slowly go up till Im happy. I never focus on going full blast or going as high as the box can go up to...just what works best for what....this is my setup and it really really works..

Joyetech Evit VT box, with Kanger Subtank Rba+ deck pushing a .41 ohm Ti coil, built from Spider Silk Ti Wire @280 with more flavor then I have ever imagined. I can take small puffs or huuuuuuuuuuge ones..all at the press of a nice firm solid button..

A rocking setup like this will really bring out ALL the flavors in the juices and give you a real good idea of whats in it, some flavors you might have once liked may not be so great while others will be so incredible you cant put them down...it really helps separate the good juices from the cheap...You can also really tell who mixes with good Nicotine too.

I said this once, but if any one part of this setup failed or got lost, I would replace it with the exact same component and not switch anything up. Im a creature of habit and I leave things that work alone...and this really really works.. A Hermetic Steam promotion happened to turn me on to 2 flavors that turned into my all day vapes as well .. Making a white and blue setup to match my bike

57C8AA6E-94DF-4BC0-9848-BAE03F63CD8C-8379-000002A457636532_zps68vtnwxq.jpg
Your very correct. This is a juice I have never tried before, Apple crumble (Home made, I could not afford to vape if I used the expensive stuff) 0 Nicotine, stopped the nic 8 months ago so I guess my flavour will always lack one component, but I really do enjoy the flavours, the clouds, the building, the learning, and it stops me reverting to stinkies.

Also, as I stated, I was wrong. I tried it with 28 gauge 4 wraps round a 1.2MM driver, and it is lovely, even at 15 watts there is nice flavour, although 25 seems to be the best.

I can not wait for my Sigelei150 to come on Tuesday, I won't use it at 150 but it was cheap, and I thought I'l never need more than that, so why not? I will probably end up using it with a dual coil at around 50-60 watts with a RDA, I only use up to 15 Watts on my lemo V2 as I use a 1.6 in there, and I get great flavour with that and its become my favourite tank.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think its a psychosomatic thing, the hand to mouth action alone can settles peoples nerves, Once they realize they can control their actions with a little bit of self regulation, you realize just how freeing it is to not have to light up a cancer stick to "calm down"

This is something I do in my freediving so ic an dive to 70+ and spearfish with no tanks. , its is proven to help lower the heart rate and calm you....

Make your exhale twice as long as your inhale...

example: If you inhale for 5 seconds, make the exhale 10 seconds long, you can use your tongue against the back of your teeth as almost a valve to slow the air down....do this 3-5 times...and boom..relaxed and full of oxygen and purged of co2...

Rock on Connan the Warrior!!!

Hey guys. My name is Kenton. I personally use my snow wolf or my sigelei 150 dependent on what im wanting to do. Now you said you wont use all the power the 150 offers. I personally would agree. The only time i come close to full power is during a cloud comp. I am running 80 w on a .2 ohm build. The build is 22 gauge kanthal a1. It has amazing flavor and amazing cloud chasing ability. Now another thing about your build. Diffrent flavors like diffrent gauge kanthal it is really dependent on the flavor profile. I am personally using a pie flavor called Sublime. Also I am a GM of a vapor store here in Missouri. Now on the Snow wolf i use a clapton ni200 build. That build loves every type of juice that I have run on it. But enough typing time to get back to work! Vape happy guys and gals!!!

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try a 2.5 or 3mm ID coil and prepare for much greatness.

stinkytofus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i vape at 30-40watts most of the time, 150-200w imo is overkill

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my sig30, I only liked coils that were slightly higher resistance, 0.9 and above. Whenever I tried, say, 0.5, it just didn't seem 'right'. The flavour seemed off, and it seemed weak.
To me, as a sub-ohmer myself, the answer is obvious. What you have can't power those coils properly. A .5 on a mech will generate about 35 watts, while your device is probably stepping down the voltage or current to make it run at 30w max. In other words, it's starving any coil at or below .5. On the flipside, a .9 only yields just under 20 watts at 4.2v, so your mod is actually powering that beyond what it would run at on a mech with a fresh battery. Your .5 is thirsty for power, while your .9 is getting a little extra boost. That's probably to blame for the difference in flavor and "ommf" that you're experiencing.

I am hoping a more powerful device can allow me to enjoy it, as there must be something to this 'sub-ohming' as literally everyone is doing it. I am hoping the more powerful device will allow it to be a bit more powerful feeling, with the correct taste?
Well, I wouldn't say that everyone is doing it. The main reason that we who do sub-ohm do so is because we're typically running our coils on unregulated devices. To get the power we want, we often have to build our coils to a low resistance. Resistance determines wattage for us because voltage is fixed at whatever our batteries can put out under load. It's kind of a dated school of thought at this point. It was born in a time when 100w regulated mods did not exist.

In a sig 150, you have an extra 4.2v (well, all in all it's 7.5 total, so I'm rounding here) to play with that sub-ohmers generally do not. Some of us go crazy with it to get the maximum wattage we can get at 8 volts, but it's very much an endeavor in the pursuit of the extreme. To hit 100w on a mech, you have to build a coil that's .17 ohms because most of the power comes from current. We have, at best 4 volts of "push" to work with. With 8 volts to play with, this is not even remotely necessary. You can build a coil closer to an ohm to hit that. Each amp it puts out can do more work than the ones coming straight from the batteries in an unregulated device can. If amps are a measure of volume and mass, then voltage is a measure of velocity, if that makes sense.

On a regulated device that can go up to say, 150w, it makes little sense to sub-ohm unless you really want that scorching-hot vape. You can hit the same power level that sub-ohmers are hitting at crazy-low resistances even with a coil closer to 1 ohm because you have the voltage push to get you there. It's more efficient to build to a higher resistance and bring up the wattage via voltage on one of those. They can power high resistance builds to wattage levels far beyond what the devices that sub-ohmers use can.

The flavor is generally better when you up the surface area for a given temperature and power level, so a .5 coil at 100w is probably going to taste better than a .16 at 110w, you feel?

Last edited:

Johnny Hotsauce

Member For 4 Years
IMO, with regards to high watts and volts, just because the device and the coil can, doesn't mean you should :)

I don't generally go over 30 watts with my sub ohm tanks and when using my Kanger sub tanks I find 15 watts in normally the sweet spot.

my normal build is a .25 ohm parallel build. i like the heat off of the low sub ohm builds. That again is just my opinion. the parallel alows massive surface area with low resistance. Thats just my prefrence. With that being said vaping is all about personal prefrence thats why we can customize everything about our own "rigs". I would have to agree that regualated devices can handel 1+ ohm builds and give them extra wattage thats not an argument here. I am just going off of my opinion so in closing I would say try many diffrent type of builds and find what you like the best! enjoy

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my normal build is a .25 ohm parallel build. i like the heat off of the low sub ohm builds. That again is just my opinion. the parallel alows massive surface area with low resistance. Thats just my prefrence. With that being said vaping is all about personal prefrence thats why we can customize everything about our own "rigs". I would have to agree that regualated devices can handel 1+ ohm builds and give them extra wattage thats not an argument here. I am just going off of my opinion so in closing I would say try many diffrent type of builds and find what you like the best! enjoy
This is food for thought as well. I also like the lower resistances for the heat. Something about the high current seems to lend itself to that. I will, however, say that the flavor is killer on higher resistance builds at high wattages (even a boosted build at lower wattage works, too.) It all comes down to what you want out of your vape, I suppose. Trial and error, man.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Absolutely you can. The Kanger subtanks (0.5 OCC coils) work well at 25 watts or so. You can't go much above 30 with them.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey I use my sub ohm tanks at like 35-40 watts and my Dark Horse RDA at 50 watts. Get great flavor and clouds. So for me there's no real need to go to the higher wattages.

VU Sponsors