Does claptoned ribbon vape well?

Discussion in 'New Builders Corner' started by Vape Fan, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Vape Fan

Vape Fan More like I am now, than I was before VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
  2. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Vape Fan likes this.
  3. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Misread this it’s just flat wire... ribbon normally comes in 0.2 x “0.1” so this wire linked will be like having 8 ribbons stacked

Flaptons are nice in fact I used them over fused Clapton’s pretty much always now... but staples (actually stacking ribbon) is still a better vape imo

zephyr, St.Roostifer and Vape Fan like this.
  4. CrazyChef v2.0

CrazyChef v2.0 Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    I have some 0.3x0.9 N80 that's been laying around for a while that I've been wanting to try making flat Claptons with. Maybe I'll give it a shot tonight.

zephyr and Vape Fan like this.
  5. PoppaVic

PoppaVic Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    I got some chinee-made "shots" with - .3? thick SS ribbon for the core.. I've seen it sold, and some seem to call it "bar".

Coils well enough, and the wasp nano is rocking the same shot since they arrived. Now, oddly, the Haku clone did NOT like that exact-same coil.

6. Fudgey Finger

Fudgey Finger Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    When I first started building coils I made a pair of coils out of parallel .1x.8 kanthal ribbon. They were really flavorful, but were easily deformed.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

7. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Flat wire I use is 0.68 x 0.27

St.Roostifer and Vape Fan like this.
  8. CrazyChef v2.0

CrazyChef v2.0 Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    I tried it with 36g N80. It's somewhat springy to wrap, which surprised me. I didn't like the way it wrapped so I trashed it. Maybe I'll find another use for the rectangular wire. It'll probably be a pretty good base for polished wire.

St.Roostifer and Vape Fan like this.
  9. Vape Fan

Vape Fan More like I am now, than I was before VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    What about heating it before wrapping? Would that be plausible? Torch...oven...?
    I went ahead and ordered that ss up there ^ just to check it out since I haven't used anything similar.

zephyr likes this.
  10. PoppaVic

Blog Posts:
    I just wrapped it, left it on mandrel, locked the first leg, pulled that recalcitrant leg over and locked it.. Pulled the mandrel and pulsed it for awhile.

Not been a problem since.

11. gbalkam

gbalkam Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Since you can buy this pre-made at fasttech.. $4.00 for a 3 meter spool, is it even worth making your own, since you need the core and wrapping wire anyway?
    But yes, I find mine works very well. Maybe not as good as a fused clapton, but still great flavor.

zephyr likes this.
  12. CrazyChef v2.0

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

13. Fudgey Finger

Fudgey Finger Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I bet the original mod makers feel the same way about all of the clones you are selling in the trading post. ;)

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

zephyr likes this.
  14. CrazyChef v2.0

Blog Posts:
    Touché - but I'm not selling them as a professional or as new. I bought them here, and I'm selling them here.

15. St.Roostifer

St.Roostifer Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Flatten the rectangular wire with a rolling pin and put it in a vertical coil rda. You will be astonished at the flavor notes a cool vape will bring you. :D

16. St.Roostifer

Blog Posts:
    I've only tried two flaptons. One from demon killer that sucked and one from CoilArt that was surprisingly good. Both were all kanthal .5X.2 ribbon with 32GA Clapton. I would think the AVS flapton would be even better.

I like that the resistance on the AVS flapton isn't too low. Let us know how you like it vape fan. :)

17. Vape Fan

Blog Posts:
    I better run out and get me a Njord, since it's the only one that can do that :giggle:

18. St.Roostifer

Blog Posts:
    LMAO. I wonder if 316L is nice non-stick. Better use unbleached flour just in case so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin. :p

19. PoppaVic

Blog Posts:
    "Flavor notes" - I'm ready for a serious drink.

20. Vape Fan

Blog Posts:
    Ok. I made this 316 0.2X0.8MM / 40G at 5.5 wrap/3id for Pyro in single mode and came out to .38. By keeping it pulled tight throughout the wrapping, it held it's shape very well. The flavor (and cloud) is surprisingly good. Tomorrow I'll make a couple for Manta and see how it is in dual.

zephyr and St.Roostifer like this.
  21. St.Roostifer

Blog Posts:
    Well done vape fan! That's alot of surface area you're covering with that ribbon core.

How does the flavor compare to fused Clapton's?

22. Vape Fan

Blog Posts:
    I have some 30x3/38 ss that should be really close in resistance with the same build and tomorrow I'll compare in Pyro at 45w 1/2 AF like I am now. More cores so might beat it on flavor a little. This flapton is heating fast, cooling pretty fast too.

23. St.Roostifer

Blog Posts:
    I'm really curious to know how it turns out for you. :cheers:

Have thought about picking up some ribbon wire next time I order and give flaptons a try.

24. Vape Fan

Blog Posts:
    I'm enjoying it. Nice vape. If I was a wire builder I might try stacking a couple/3 of these and framing them. Resistance could be controlled by the framing & clapton/alien wire, couldn't it?

25. St.Roostifer

Blog Posts:
    Stacking them on top of one another?

zephyr likes this.
  26. Vape Fan

Blog Posts:
    Vertically

27. Vape Fan

Blog Posts:
    I made a bigger id for Pyro in single since I needed more wick to fill the ports better. Wrapped it on a 4.0 and it sprung out a little. Didn't measure id but OD is 5.5mm and ironically resistance is .55
    Here's the surface area
    20180506_092734.jpg

Here's their FC w/ 4 parallel cores
    20180218_170103.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    KingPin!, zephyr and St.Roostifer like this.
  28. St.Roostifer

Blog Posts:
    That's big coil man! I like it. I would imagine there's a bit of ramp up time on the 5.5 no?

Before I stopped vaping on SS I was making the four core AVS wire into 5mm ID to bump the resistance up. Managed to fit it in the nanos but heat did build up rather quickly. :teehee:

KingPin!, zephyr and Vape Fan like this.
  29. Vape Fan

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it does take longer to ramp up. Its at 40w w/60w 2sec boost on Invoke.
    Surprised you fit 5 in Nano. 4 was as big as Ive tried.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    KingPin! and zephyr like this.
  30. St.Roostifer

Blog Posts:
    Oh OK, I do something similar using CCW mode except I start high to get the ramp up and trickle down the watts from there.

Yeah, I liked the flavor better with the 5mm but after about five pulls I'd have to let the tank cool for a bit. It was one of those things I wanted to try for the heck of it. Now I use spaced kanthal 3.5mm fused Clapton's in the nanos. 3-3.5mm is perfect for me in those nanos. :)

KingPin!, zephyr and Vape Fan like this.
  31. zephyr

zephyr Dirty Pirate Meg VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I bought spools of that stuff wrapped in 32 from FT, I would cram like 12-13 wraps (single coil SS, dual coil kanthal) into my clone Kennedy 24 and vape it on a Noisy Cricket with no cotton, have yet to see clouds like that

-I also used to be mentally retarded, I no longer do the no cotton thing (was two years ago). I'm glad you like your wire! Gotta be better with that 40 wrap :D

KingPin!, St.Roostifer and Vape Fan like this.
  32. Just Frank

Just Frank Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago I went through 10 feet of Gerkvape kA1 Flat Clapton wire. Im not sure of the dimensions but I remember I liked it. I used it in a Griff22. I assume it was a ribon wire that was clapton'd.