Become a Patron!

Does parallel coils really have pros?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
depends. sometimes yes, but sometimes with the right builds more clouds means you get more flavor. I don't care for clouds personally not my thing, but i do like to get the best flavor possible.

That's why I love my Achilles -- best flavor EVER, and none of that annoying fog since I use 86% PG. :) If I made clouds like those above, my husband would [try to] send me back out to my 'smoking area' on the porch, and staying indoors was WHY I started vaping in the first place!

Andria

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never seen the point at all of just producing fog that clouds the entire room. I can exhale directly in front of my face while driving and never impede my vision. It's all about what I'm drawing in, and how I'm drawing it in, than about whatever I exhale. Producing thick clouds seems like it's more about showing off, than staying smoke-free.

Andria
And you'll probly will never see the point....higher wattages, less nic in our juice, better flavor and efficient nicotine delivery per hit...clouds too..
Seriously though, subohm works for me and for alot of my friends who vape.. I love blowin a thick, fluffy white cloud out the window at a stoplight, and the same partly open window keeps it clear enough in front of my face, (as you put it) while rollin' down the road... It's all good Andria, you vape the way you think is best and we will continue to do the same,... Different Strokes and all that LOL
Happy Holidays

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That's why I love my Achilles -- best flavor EVER, and none of that annoying fog since I use 86% PG. :) If I made clouds like those above, my husband would [try to] send me back out to my 'smoking area' on the porch, and staying indoors was WHY I started vaping in the first place!

Andria
different strokes for different folks! i could personally never get enough flavor from MTL tanks. everyone was raving over the original kaifun back in the day. i got one and it never gave me flavor like an RDA would. plus using high nic mutes your flavor as well. low nic juice taste much better IMO and in the long run it's cheaper to make (since using less nic and flavor and more VG/PG which is cheap) but the downside is you burn through much more of it lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
different strokes for different folks! i could personally never get enough flavor from MTL tanks. everyone was raving over the original kaifun back in the day. i got one and it never gave me flavor like an RDA would. plus using high nic mutes your flavor as well. low nic juice taste much better IMO and in the long run it's cheaper to make (since using less nic and flavor and more VG/PG which is cheap) but the downside is you burn through much more of it lol
I couldn't agree with you more Sir Richard!
d656d1d7369b723b978b8e4c12c0ecdb.jpg
One of my best ever flavor tanks is the Sense RTA-2 with this dual clapton build coming in at 0.22 ohms..
Cotton bacon wicks fast, even with my preferred 100% VG juice.. today its Lemon Cheesecake with only 2.5mg of nic..its all that's needed vaping at 75-80w..and as most folks know who subohm the bigger clouds also means bigger flavor too..I also like the huge juice channels and velocity style deck on this 25mm RTA as well as the 6ml tank..

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I couldn't agree with you more Sir Richard!
d656d1d7369b723b978b8e4c12c0ecdb.jpg
One of my best ever flavor tanks is the Sense RTA-2 with this dual clapton build coming in at 0.22 ohms..
Cotton bacon wicks fast, even with my preferred 100% VG juice.. today its Lemon Cheesecake with only 2.5mg of nic..its all that's needed vaping at 75-80w..and as most folks know who subohm the bigger clouds also means bigger flavor too..I also like the huge juice channels and velocity style deck on this 25mm RTA as well as the 6ml tank..

I just got one of those tanks for like 6 bucks but it's in my pile of unused tanks.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I agree about RDAs; since I've gotten used to the Achilles, I can't get any flavor at all out of my Kayfuns, except the taste of cotton. I've never really been able to tell much diff in the taste of my juice as I've decreased the nicotine, but I do need far less sweetener now, so maybe the lower nic is one of the reasons why -- I had figured it was just my tastebuds finally waking up, but maybe the lower nic is part of that, too.

But I'm still just vaping about 5ml per day.

Andria

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I agree about RDAs; since I've gotten used to the Achilles, I can't get any flavor at all out of my Kayfuns, except the taste of cotton. I've never really been able to tell much diff in the taste of my juice as I've decreased the nicotine, but I do need far less sweetener now, so maybe the lower nic is one of the reasons why -- I had figured it was just my tastebuds finally waking up, but maybe the lower nic is part of that, too.

But I'm still just vaping about 5ml per day.

Andria
whatever works for you! there is no best or right way to vape, only the way you enjoy that keeps you off the cigs!
i burn about 30mls a day lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got one of those tanks for like 6 bucks but it's in my pile of unused tanks.
97db215d2003d84b7a177f3b46948ed7.jpg

Notice the large adj juice ports and big airholes under the coils..big claptons fit easily..wide open adj airflow and a 6ml tank..no dry hits and no Leaking either, lol

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
97db215d2003d84b7a177f3b46948ed7.jpg

Notice the large adj juice ports and big airholes under the coils..big claptons fit easily..wide open adj airflow and a 6ml tank..no dry hits and no Leaking either, lol

yup looks like a real winner. but i'm working on reviews for my captain, modfather, and alpha one right now. i want to get out the captain and alpha one 1st because there aren't many reviews on youtube for them at all. gotta fill that niche lol I'll get around to the tank. i have about 10-15 tanks i haven't even touched yet

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
b59b066bb0e6dd237f427ce4f360033c.jpg
This is my little sister tootle puffing (MTL) at 13w.. obviously she puffs into her mouth and then draws it into her lungs ..
35c2988a9a9a20767afb6505ffddc1a7.jpg
and this is me at 125w (about 4.3v with
a .15 ohm coil) after a Direct Lung pull with no puffing at all..my little sister has to use at least I8mg of nic and take many MTL puffs to get her nic fix..
On the other hand I get my nic fix in 2-3 deep DL pulls using only 2.5mg of nic.. I don't have to chain vape because I'm good, and can set my mod down, unlike my little sister,
Happy Holidays Magic

Fair enough to see the difference. I don't chain vape all the time either and draw from my throat down. Not quite as good as you do yet at that, which in a way is shame on me because I used to do that with something else. You're correct to a degree and not to a degree. *chuckles* Both of us are both. I need to get better with direct lung hits. :)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fair enough to see the difference. I don't chain vape all the time either and draw from my throat down. Not quite as good as you do yet at that, which in a way is shame on me because I used to do that with something else. You're correct to a degree and not to a degree. *chuckles* Both of us are both. I need to get better with direct lung hits. :)
You gotta understand I'm addicted to nicotine..I vape for the nicotine hit, nothing else..I get my addiction satisfied best subohm and with deep lung hits, using only 2.5-3mgs of nic.... Flavor is good too, and clouds are produced vaping 100% VG at the higher wattages used subohm..wide open airflow is important to help keep the vape cool..its what works for me and stay completely tobacco free..if I want more flavor I'll eat a Jolly Rancher, lol

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You gotta understand I'm addicted to nicotine..I vape for the nicotine hit, nothing else..I get my addiction satisfied best subohm and with deep lung hits, using only 2.5-3mgs of nic.... Flavor is good too, and clouds are produced vaping 100% VG at the higher wattages used subohm..wide open airflow is important to help keep the vape cool..its what works for me and stay completely tobacco free..if I want more flavor I'll eat a Jolly Rancher, lol

Ah. Okay, that's why the greater cloud, the VG. I like a 50/50 mix PG/VG but do at times venture to around 30/70 PG/VG. I sub ohm but not really low sub ohm and get aware of the heat too. Might try some unflavored 100% VG later on. I consider myself moderate but yes, sure I might like to master DL and launch a Sputnik cloud over WV. :)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah. Okay, that's why the greater cloud, the VG. I like a 50/50 mix PG/VG but do at times venture to around 30/70 PG/VG. I sub ohm but not really low sub ohm and get aware of the heat too. Might try some unflavored 100% VG later on. I consider myself moderate but yes, sure I might like to master DL and launch a Sputnik cloud over WV. :)
Good airflow is the key in a cooler vape low subohm vaping.. simple really...
feb18d93df11d2e669dd5ee2c6f9a443.jpg
like this guy practising for a cloud comp using a single 18650 mech/RDA ..

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I disagree with that parallel coils should be used for variable wattage, although they can be used for that.. however it's been my experience for the past 6 years that parallel coils work really well for builds used on a mech.. when wrapped and installed properly parallel coils offers no more problems than a regular coil does..

Try this... You need a 200w regulated mod. Or adjust the coils according to what you have, but the build will be for a 200w vw mod.
coil example one
dual coil, 12 wraps of 24ga NiChrome (or kanthal) on a 3.5mm id core. Resistance should be about 0.48. Max watts=? (144w)
coil example two
dual coil. 6 wraps parallel 24ga NiChrome on a 3.5mm id core. Resistance should be aprox 0.14. Max watts=? (200w)

both coils used exactly the same amount and gauge of wire and same number of loops.
Now these are cloud chasing coil builds, not flavor, For flavor you would use claptons and increase the watts until you like the vape, but for clouds, you want as much wire as you can get, heating as fast as you can get it to heat, the higher the heat, the better the cloud. (temp is controlled by airflow only)

This shows that parallel coils are useful in reaching a resistance that the regulated mod can use to push max power. I haven't found the math yet but I am sure it is out there.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try this... You need a 200w regulated mod. Or adjust the coils according to what you have, but the build will be for a 200w vw mod.
coil example one
dual coil, 12 wraps of 24ga NiChrome (or kanthal) on a 3.5mm id core. Resistance should be about 0.48. Max watts=? (144w)
coil example two
dual coil. 6 wraps parallel 24ga NiChrome on a 3.5mm id core. Resistance should be aprox 0.14. Max watts=? (200w)

both coils used exactly the same amount and gauge of wire and same number of loops.
Now these are cloud chasing coil builds, not flavor, For flavor you would use claptons and increase the watts until you like the vape, but for clouds, you want as much wire as you can get, heating as fast as you can get it to heat, the higher the heat, the better the cloud. (temp is controlled by airflow only)

This shows that parallel coils are useful in reaching a resistance that the regulated mod can use to push max power. I haven't found the math yet but I am sure it is out there.
I dont use parallel builds on my 200w VW mods..there is no need when I can turn wattage up..
06848331a75be8ba2636b549aa34e788.jpg

Like this 0.17 ohm dual Clapton build vapes awesome at 82w on my 200w RX200..
ee766d9036d64659899394b6a10ce1ba.jpg

This dual parallel 26g build js used on my mechs where batt voltage is available only.. no adj VW..

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I dont use parallel builds on my 200w VW mods..there is no need when I can turn wattage up..
06848331a75be8ba2636b549aa34e788.jpg

Like this 0.17 ohm dual Clapton build vapes awesome at 82w on my 200w RX200..
ee766d9036d64659899394b6a10ce1ba.jpg

This dual parallel 26g build js used on my mechs where batt voltage is available only.. no adj VW..

Claptons are a bit different. Flavor coils. But for maxing the surface area of a coil build, parallel will be better as higher resistance builds cap the wattage the mod can send out. I would have to find the math on why, but from trial and error, (I did that last night), parallel give you more available wraps. That is only for clouds though, there are much better builds for flavor.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Claptons are a bit different. Flavor coils. But for maxing the surface area of a coil build, parallel will be better as higher resistance builds cap the wattage the mod can send out. I would have to find the math on why, but from trial and error, (I did that last night), parallel give you more available wraps. That is only for clouds though, there are much better builds for flavor.
Like I mentioned earlier I vape for the nicotine hit, not for flavor..been doin this over 6 yrs now and know what it takes to stay tobacco free.. Claptons deliver a super nic hit on every cloud blowin pull..Flavor is not important to me actually, but I do enjoy good flavor with all my builds..and like I said before, if I want more flavor I'll eat a Jolly Rancher..I didn't smoke flavored
cigarettes, and I don't need flavor in my vape to stay tobacco free..
lol

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Like I mentioned earlier I vape for the nicotine hit, not for flavor..been doin this over 6 yrs now and know what takes to stay tobacco free.. Claptons deliver a super nic hit on every cloud blowin pull..Flavor is not important to me actually, but I do enjoy good flavor with all my builds..and like I said before, if I want more flavor I'll eat a Jolly Rancher..I didn't smoke flavored
cigarettes, and I don't need flavor in my vape to stay tobacco free..
lol

Nice. You know you could vape for next to nothing. lol. Just an unflavored nic base and pg/vg from the pharmacy. No taste but still the same nic. Im thinking about doing that and just adding a couple drops of sweetener to take the 'blah' off.

I did find the math as well. Under how the controller (output side) works
Power = Voltage2/Resistance

So apparently, to max power you need to keep the resistance low enough to allow the power to reach the mods max. So 200w box, 7volts would require 0.4 ohm or lower to reach max 200w. Most high resistance builds are using higher gauge wire, like 28ga or better, so you don't need much power. Unless you are looking to get huge clouds, and use low resistance wire and a lot of wraps. Which is my my 0.48 ohm coil would only give 144 watts. :)
God damn it I am OCD! I gotta know WHY. lol

It's all here http://blog.thevaporist.org/2015/12/29/regulated-mods/ if you are feeling OCD. lol.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice. You know you could vape for next to nothing. lol. Just an unflavored nic base and pg/vg from the pharmacy. No taste but still the same nic. Im thinking about doing that and just adding a couple drops of sweetener to take the 'blah' off.

I did find the math as well. Under how the controller (output side) works
Power = Voltage2/Resistance

So apparently, to max power you need to keep the resistance low enough to allow the power to reach the mods max. So 200w box, 7volts would require 0.4 ohm or lower to reach max 200w. Most high resistance builds are using higher gauge wire, like 28ga or better, so you don't need much power. Unless you are looking to get huge clouds, and use low resistance wire and a lot of wraps. Which is my my 0.48 ohm coil would only give 144 watts. :)
God damn it I am OCD! I gotta know WHY. lol
Dont know why your that way either, lol
I truly don't mind spending money on juice..the $$ I save not buying 4 cartons of Marlborough a month anymore buys ALOT of juice, and mods, and tanks and batts and coils, etc, etc...lol

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Dont know why your that way either, lol
I truly don't mind spending money on juice..the $$ I save not buying 4 cartons of Marlborough a month anymore buys ALOT of juice, and mods, and tanks and batts and coils, etc, etc...lol

It was terrible in school. History,Geography, French Language.. totally low grades, barely passed.. Science, Math, Chemistry, Physics.. top of the class without cracking a book. As long as I could find the "why"

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good airflow is the key in a cooler vape low subohm vaping.. simple really...
feb18d93df11d2e669dd5ee2c6f9a443.jpg
like this guy practising for a cloud comp using a single 18650 mech/RDA ..

Been exploring a bit more with the Goon. Not gone too low yet but am finding out you're correct on airflow. I might still be leaning toward MTL but I'm finding a like a tighter draw airflow, not necessarily hotter from it but less air. I am using 100% VG though, in the mountains a bit too. Barometric pressure shifts here a good bit at times, even kills sinuses. Too much air for me ends up making wispy clouds. I'll get there. *chuckles* "Just takes me longer ..." :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've never seen the point at all of just producing fog that clouds the entire room. I can exhale directly in front of my face while driving and never impede my vision. It's all about what I'm drawing in, and how I'm drawing it in, than about whatever I exhale. Producing thick clouds seems like it's more about showing off, than staying smoke-free.

Andria
It's a hobby. Kept me from smoking. I do cloud build just to see how big I can make them. Then change up and use another coil build and see how big that makes them. Eventually, I may compete, but for now its just for fun and to amuse my wife. LOL.. Serious.. they fascinate her.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a hobby. Kept me from smoking. I do cloud build just to see how big I can make them. Then change up and use another coil build and see how big that makes them. Eventually, I may compete, but for now its just for fun and to amuse my wife. LOL.. Serious.. they fascinate her.
Yep, I've got some devices that really chuck some really, really obnoxious clouds. It's rather fun every now and again, I'm certainly not a cloud chaser. But the hobby side gets to me some times.

Friend of mine went to the PI this month and is competing in some cloud comps. I set him up with some coils for it so I'm waiting for when he gets back to see how he does.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hello!

Is I know, parralel coil have 2 time less resistance, so, with same voltage It will eat 2 time more wattage → taste and clouds.

What advantage can I have if I use this coil in varywatt? I think that it works in mech mods, but does not have something good in varywatt if I compare parralel coil with usual microcoil
One pro is you can get more wraps and surface area on a single coil. For example, on my mini rba, using 32ga SS wire. I have a coil installed with 18 wraps. Now if i did that as a single coil, the resistance would be over 5 ohms. Well above the 3.3 ohm max my mod will do. By using a 3 strand parallel, 6 wraps on a 3mm id core, I got 18 wraps at only 0.48 (I think) ohms. Crazy flavor and vape from that coil. Another reason, is a parallel coil heats faster. Current is going between 2 wires instead of one. Handy for when you want to max your surface area without exceeding your mods output control limit. Check it out... on a 200w mod build a coil at higher than 0.4 ohms. Formula is Watts=voltage squared / resistance. controlled by the mods output control circuit. That's how you get a 40 wrap build to work. Break it into 2 parallel coils. Basically, 10 wraps each on the 4 total coils. Now if you clapton those.. and use 8 wraps per coil.. there is a flavor build for ya.

VU Sponsors