Become a Patron!

Does vaping actually cause brain/heart/lung damage? (Serious Discussion)

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I was saying earlier to the other mods that I should copy/paste it where more people will see it.

But on the front of pseudo science and the fact that even the most highly respected scientific journals will accept a study no matter how stupid.

This is the one I usually use if some dipshit tries to argue with me:
(The BMJ is one of the highly respected scientific journals)

Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials

https://www.bmj.com/content/327/7429/1459

Abstract

Objectives To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to gravitational challenge.

Design Systematic review of randomised controlled trials.

Data sources: Medline, Web of Science, Embase, and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and citation lists.

Study selection: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall.

Main outcome measure Death or major trauma, defined as an injury severity score > 15.

Results We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of parachute intervention.

Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.

I would have hated to have been the unlucky bastard who drew the short straw for this study.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was saying earlier to the other mods that I should copy/paste it where more people will see it.

But on the front of pseudo science and the fact that even the most highly respected scientific journals will accept a study no matter how stupid.

This is the one I usually use if some dipshit tries to argue with me:
(The BMJ is one of the highly respected scientific journals)

Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials

https://www.bmj.com/content/327/7429/1459

Abstract

Objectives To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to gravitational challenge.

Design Systematic review of randomised controlled trials.

Data sources: Medline, Web of Science, Embase, and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and citation lists.

Study selection: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall.

Main outcome measure Death or major trauma, defined as an injury severity score > 15.

Results We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of parachute intervention.

Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.

I don't know whether to cry or laugh over this. The human race scares me sometimes.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I don't know whether to cry or laugh over this. The human race scares me sometimes.

Scare you sometimes? There is an infinite amount of awe and ignorance all around us. The human race is held together by bubble gum and a prayer.

Mike Ma

Member For 1 Year
i got cough, now ok, but i still feel there is sputum in my throat, i'm not sure if that happen because i vape salt oil.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've got crud in my throat from vaping too; not a big deal; people that vape high-VG have a LOT more, and more in their lungs too, because that shit is so thick. You can't expect to be purposely inhaling something that's NOT air, and expect there to be NO consequences of it. It's just not carcinogenic the way that smoke is.

Andria

Dementedarego

Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Now I tried posting this question on ECR (Electronic cigarette reddit) and that was a horrible idea because all I got was non serious and sarcastic replies along with downvotes and mocking. I've learned now that ECR is just a toxic circle jerk, filled with brain dead assholes who all have a hive mind mentality, if you have anything bad to say about vaping or even question it on there you are getting crucified.

I just had to get that off my chest, anyway back to the original topic.

With all these studies coming out saying that we are actually inhaling metallic particles (Heavy metals such as lead, nickel, chromium, manganese ETC) and mass volumes of nicotine can cause heart attacks and strokes, I'm kind of spooked, a lot of people are saying that this is the work of big tobacco and they are using scare tactics and there is not any validity to these claims but a part of me thinks why would someone go so out of their way to smear vaping this badly? Especially when vaping is a billion dollar industry, I mean I'm sure the government is all for it since we still pay taxes on it and all the states are getting a shit ton of money, in my eyes vaping will easily surpass cigarette sales within a decade so shouldn't there be more articles saying it is good for you and a better option?

I don't know, lately I have been having weird things going on with my brain, heart and lungs and this was before I even read the studies that just came, when I did read them though I started having massive anxiety, because I already had trouble focusing, I couldn't and still can't concentrate easily anymore, sometimes I get confused, especially when I wake up in the morning, I am literally confused and feel weird until I actually get out of bed and have been awake for an hour and than in about 4 hours I feel weird again until I go back to bed and wake up, I have more anxiety than I ever have and I also get really bad heart arrhythmia now every few days along with shortness of breath that lasts for about 24 hours, I will feel my heart starting and stopping as well as skipping beats in my chest and it is just very uncomfortable, also note I have been vaping 20mls a day for 3 years and never had these issues and now I'm scared it's just catching up to me. I do a new build every 3 days and I also smell the wire as I'm dry burning it, I also rewick everyday and again I smell the wire as I'm dry burning. And now I'm thinking did I fuck myself by going through so much just to chase flavor?

I'm really scared I have brain cancer or am getting Alzheimer's or some type of brain damage because it seems to get worse everyday. A lot of people are telling me it is just anxiety and I know it's not, I have had anxiety my whole life and this is a completely different type of feeling

Instead of saying it's scare tactics and the boogie man shouldn't we be taking all studies very serious and talking about it? Like I don't even trust ECR anymore because all they ever say is that it's big tobacco paying these companies to put of bogus information and try to use their pseudo intellectualism to tear the study apart. If the study is bogus, it is bogus but we shouldn't be shooting down every study that comes out

Anyway, that is all.

Hi Sneakysnake

One of the most comprehensive reviews of vaping studies was done by Charlotta Pisinger “ A systematic review of health effects of electronic cigarettes” for the world health Organization. Form her conclusions, I would highlight these:

a) due to the many methodological problems, the many studies with severe conflicts of interest, the inconsistencies and contradictions in results, the relatively few highquality studies, the rapidly changing designs of the product and the lack of longterm follow-up, it seems very premature to perform calculations for how harmful vaping is compared with smoking;

b) to speak of risk of vaping of e-cigarettes as risk of one product makes no sense. The risk depends of the method of vaping, e-liquids, temperatures and factors still unknown;

a) In a simple product-to-product comparison most e-cigarettes are probably less, and some products may even be much less, harmful than conventional cigarettes.

Nuno

DeepInTheAbyss

Member For 1 Year
Now I tried posting this question on ECR (Electronic cigarette reddit) and that was a horrible idea because all I got was non serious and sarcastic replies along with downvotes and mocking. I've learned now that ECR is just a toxic circle jerk, filled with brain dead assholes who all have a hive mind mentality, if you have anything bad to say about vaping or even question it on there you are getting crucified.

With all these studies coming out saying that we are actually inhaling metallic particles (Heavy metals such as lead, nickel, chromium, manganese ETC) and mass volumes of nicotine can cause heart attacks and strokes, I'm kind of spooked, a lot of people are saying that this is the work of big tobacco and they are using scare tactics and there is not any validity to these claims but a part of me thinks why would someone go so out of their way to smear vaping this badly? Especially when vaping is a billion dollar industry, I mean I'm sure the government is all for it since we still pay taxes on it and all the states are getting a shit ton of money, in my eyes vaping will easily surpass cigarette sales within a decade so shouldn't there be more articles saying it is good for you and a better option?

I don't know, lately I have been having weird things going on with my brain, heart and lungs and this was before I even read the studies that just came, when I did read them though I started having massive anxiety, because I already had trouble focusing, I couldn't and still can't concentrate easily anymore, sometimes I get confused, especially when I wake up in the morning, I am literally confused and feel weird until I actually get out of bed and have been awake for an hour and than in about 4 hours I feel weird again until I go back to bed and wake up, I have more anxiety than I ever have and I also get really bad heart arrhythmia now every few days along with shortness of breath that lasts for about 24 hours, I will feel my heart starting and stopping as well as skipping beats in my chest and it is just very uncomfortable, also note I have been vaping 20mls a day for 3 years and never had these issues and now I'm scared it's just catching up to me. I do a new build every 3 days and I also smell the wire as I'm dry burning it, I also rewick everyday and again I smell the wire as I'm dry burning. And now I'm thinking did I fuck myself by going through so much just to chase flavor?

I'm really scared I have brain cancer or am getting Alzheimer's or some type of brain damage because it seems to get worse everyday. A lot of people are telling me it is just anxiety and I know it's not, I have had anxiety my whole life and this is a completely different type of feeling

Instead of saying it's scare tactics and the boogie man shouldn't we be taking all studies very serious and talking about it? Like I don't even trust ECR anymore because all they ever say is that it's big tobacco paying these companies to put of bogus information and try to use their pseudo intellectualism to tear the study apart. If the study is bogus, it is bogus but we shouldn't be shooting down every study that comes out

Anyway, that is all.

Anyway, that is all.
If this is even still applies, look man i know you just got completely dumped on, and I cant blame them, but im here to give you comfort and peace, and more than likely a true answer to your problems. You have anxiety. Probably depression too. Maybe a panic disorder. Mental illness. Like life altering, lung seizing, mind bending, personality killing anxiety, panic, and depression. Wanna know how i know? Because thats what i had. Youre describing exactly what i went through. Youre just missing the panic attacks, or maybe youre not. They'll come though, from the other things. Its not the vape though, albeit it may be exacerbating it. I know its not the vape because I was vaping, this was about a year and a half ago . I quit everything. I quit smoking .I quit vaping. I quit alcohol . I quit w**d. All of it. Guess what. It persisted. For months. It persisted for a long time. All the way to the mental clinic. And i am now not going through it anymore, because they helped me and I got on medication. They explained everything to me. They called me out. Im fine now. But guess what? I picked vaping back up . No problems. Just dehydration, stiff lungs sometimes. You wanna know how to fix it if youre still going through it? Breathe. Calm down. Stop worrying. Dont think. Walk outside, look at the clouds. Look at the greenery. Chill. Youre alive. Appreciate it while you have it. In these fleshly bodies, we are weak and we expire. Let go. Enjoy your time.
Stop worrying about your symptoms. They will multiply and turn into a gigantic 3 headed beast that will eat you alive. Your thoughts feed off of themselves.
Trust me.
Everything you said, i went through. Your brain could be tricking itself.
It'll be okay. Just do what you love and be happy. Youre gonna die. Your life will evaporate before you know it. So enjoy it.
Dont let your thoughts eat off themselves and get bigger to the point to where youre a slave to your own conscience.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
All I can say, is that I smoked for well over 30 years. I got sick of feeling sick, so I put them down and started vaping. I vaped for well over a year, and I can't remember a time when I felt better, slept better and could even breathe better. I even started DIY, making my own coils, and juice. Unfortunately, I ran into our little friend "stress" and picked up the cigs again. I smoked a lot heavier the second time around. That went on for about two more years. I won't lie, I started to feel worse than I did before I quit the first time around. I finally put them back down again, and have been vaping now for about two weeks. I am starting to feel better once again. It's extremely hard, but I think I can do it this time. As far as your concerns, see a doctor, because it's likely something else. Vaping isn't for everyone. Some people get reactions to it, some don't. All I am saying, is that I feel great. I feel like I did back in school when I played football. I'm 48 and obviously I can't play football again, but you catch my drift., LOL. Good luck to you :)

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Anyway, that is all.
I will reply with this... Vaping is by far less harmful to lungs, heart and brain than smoking. Additionally, the vg actually helps repair cells. PG does tend to pull water but not enough to be concerned and most of ejuice is VG anyway. PG is an irritant to tissue, so you tend to feel thirsty and should drink more water. Over hydration is only a problem if you kidneys are not working properly, aside from that you would need to drink gallons of water a day to take in more than your kidneys can pump out. Up to that point, the extra water is good for you, cleaning your blood, urinary tract, preventing infections and kidney stones. (small kidney stones will pass pretty much unnoticed.so the more you drink.. the more chance of passing these potentially painful (if they get larger) stones. The main thing to watch for is swelling of ankles and face. If this happens cut back some on the water and see your doctor. It might be more than just extra water and could indicate a kidney issue.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you get foot/leg edema, then water is NOT what is needed, and cutting back on water won't help -- what is needed is to balance the electrolytes; usually you need more potassium to balance the sodium -- sodium is usually the culprit with foot/leg edema. Coconut water is what helped me, 8-12 oz daily till the problem went away; now i drink coconut water maybe 3-5 times a week, and the problem stays gone. Also, need to cut back on caffeine, because caffeine stimulates kidneys/bladder, so you pee a lot -- if the urine is clear or clearly so, you're not dehydrated! But you could have an electrolyte imbalance from all that peeing, flushing out too many electrolytes.

PG and VG are BOTH hygroscopic, in about equal measure -- you just don't notice it as much with VG, because VG is also emollient, so you don't feel so dry-mouthed -- still can contribute to dehydration, even if you don't feel it. It's true that most commercial ejuice is mostly VG these days, but it's no healthier than PG -- it's just a matter of individual tolerance -- most people seem to find PG irritating, but if I vape more than 14% VG, I can't breathe AT ALL, so I have to make my own ejuice, to get 86%-87% PG -- which doesn't irritate me at all.

Andria

VU Sponsors