Become a Patron!

Does vaping have to be so frustrating?

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I”ll try to keep this as short as I can while still explaining myself. I got into aping about four months ago or so. Since that time it has cost me a lot of frustration and even more money.
The main problem I am having is finding juice that has any flavor to it and doesn’t cost a fortune. And the damn coils. Is it possible to have coils last more than 2-3 days with any kind of decent flavor? I have found that most of the juices I have tried just don’t have much flavor at all. It isn’t really a bad flavor it’s just not often very strong. This includes cheap stuff online as well as the premium stuff in the shops. I will say the premium stuff has been better and there have been some that I did like. The problem is at an average of $25.00 of so for a 60ml Its just to expensive when I go through 20-30ml a day. I have been reading a lot online about cheaper brands that people consider to be good and have tied a few of them with little success so far. Its frustrating when I dab a little on my finger and it tastes great only to find out its nothing like that when I try to Ape it. I do have some MT Baker Vapor steeping to try in a week or two. People seem to love the brand so my fingers are crossed.
As far as mods I have an Icon total an AL85 and an Alien220. After a lot of reading and watching videos online I also bought a Crown 3 and an Ar co 2. I like them both the crown 3 is very easy to work with and I will say the Ar co coils do seem to hold up better than the crown or the baby beast coils. However I don’t see much difference in taste among the three.
At this point I’m close to giving up on it but I though maybe there is something ells I could try. It seems everyone I see in shops or online that is really into it uses some kind of RDA. From what I hear they are way better than tanks when it comes to flavor which is all that I care about.
I suppose what I am getting at with all of this is first I’d like to hear if others have had this same issue with juices? Do most of us run into this? And how have you guys gotten through that? Also should I be looking at RDA if so I need one that is easy to use as I’m not to confident about building coils. I saw a review of a Bandy Ape mesh RDA that looked easy enough but also herd that if your not careful it can get uncomfortably hot to use. Maybe this is the case with any RDA?
In the end I just want something easy to use that works. When aping has been good for me I have really enjoyed it. I just haven’t had it good very often. Thanks to anyone reading this and anyone that may have any thoughts.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It all takes time....:wait:

Regarding coils, you need to learn how to make your own....it's as easy as tying a shoe....:wave:

Regarding juice, you need to learn how to make your own, it's as easy as picking your nose.....:vino:

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It all takes time....:wait:

Regarding coils, you need to learn how to make your own....it's as easy as tying a shoe....:wave:

Regarding juice, you need to learn how to make your own, it's as easy as picking your nose.....:vino:

As far as making your own I assume you are talking about for am RDA? I assume you cant make them for the tanks I have? I haven't really looking into making my own juice. I guess then I could make it as strong as I like.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As far as making your own I assume you are talking about for am RDA? I assume you cant make them for the tanks I have? I haven't really looking into making my own juice. I guess then I could make it as strong as I like.
I believe the atomizers have rebuildable bases, you make your own coils, insert, add a wick, vape.

Watch a bunch of videos regarding building coils, it's important you know what your doing.

You can make the juice as strong or lite as you like.....check out ELR for mixing info... http://e-liquid-recipes.com/

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I”ll try to keep this as short as I can while still explaining myself. I got into aping about four months ago or so. Since that time it has cost me a lot of frustration and even more money.
The main problem I am having is finding juice that has any flavor to it and doesn’t cost a fortune. And the damn coils. Is it possible to have coils last more than 2-3 days with any kind of decent flavor? I have found that most of the juices I have tried just don’t have much flavor at all. It isn’t really a bad flavor it’s just not often very strong. This includes cheap stuff online as well as the premium stuff in the shops. I will say the premium stuff has been better and there have been some that I did like. The problem is at an average of $25.00 of so for a 60ml Its just to expensive when I go through 20-30ml a day. I have been reading a lot online about cheaper brands that people consider to be good and have tied a few of them with little success so far. Its frustrating when I dab a little on my finger and it tastes great only to find out its nothing like that when I try to Ape it. I do have some MT Baker Vapor steeping to try in a week or two. People seem to love the brand so my fingers are crossed.
As far as mods I have an Icon total an AL85 and an Alien220. After a lot of reading and watching videos online I also bought a Crown 3 and an Ar co 2. I like them both the crown 3 is very easy to work with and I will say the Ar co coils do seem to hold up better than the crown or the baby beast coils. However I don’t see much difference in taste among the three.
At this point I’m close to giving up on it but I though maybe there is something ells I could try. It seems everyone I see in shops or online that is really into it uses some kind of RDA. From what I hear they are way better than tanks when it comes to flavor which is all that I care about.
I suppose what I am getting at with all of this is first I’d like to hear if others have had this same issue with juices? Do most of us run into this? And how have you guys gotten through that? Also should I be looking at RDA if so I need one that is easy to use as I’m not to confident about building coils. I saw a review of a Bandy Ape mesh RDA that looked easy enough but also herd that if your not careful it can get uncomfortably hot to use. Maybe this is the case with any RDA?
In the end I just want something easy to use that works. When aping has been good for me I have really enjoyed it. I just haven’t had it good very often. Thanks to anyone reading this and anyone that may have any thoughts.

Usually, if the RDA is heating, it is because the coil is to close to the cylinder wall. Use a smaller ID coil. *or lower power*.
Type of coil affects flavor. Wrapping your own gives you more control. Currently, I am using the simplest flavor coil.. a single core clapton. (like a guitar string). So you can learn to wrap differnt types of coil wire or buy it premade on a spool and cut to length. I found
https://www.fasttech.com/products/8014108 to be pretty good.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Usually, if the RDA is heating, it is because the coil is to close to the cylinder wall. Use a smaller ID coil. *or lower power*.
Type of coil affects flavor. Wrapping your own gives you more control. Currently, I am using the simplest flavor coil.. a single core clapton. (like a guitar string). So you can learn to wrap differnt types of coil wire or buy it premade on a spool and cut to length. I found
https://www.fasttech.com/products/8014108 to be pretty good.
oh cool so I could just buy supplies and and it would be a plug and play sort of thing?

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
With a decent RTA (tank with rebuildable coils) or RDA (same without the tank, you drip liquid into it as you go) you get much better flavours than with stock coil based tanks. It was a true eye opener for me. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run. Materials for your own coil cost pennies (or cents), not 2 or more bucks every time.

Building coils is pretty easy. This video got me on the right track:
It's long, but gives you a lot of info about safety, basic Ohm's law, tools needed, etc.

As for DIY juices, it can be as simple or complex as you want. But yes, if you do that too, you're literally the master of your own flavours :)
There are tons of really good recipes out there, so you only need a bunch of bottles, a cheap scale with two decimal places, the flavours, some VG, PG and nicotine. Sounds difficult, but there's a top bloke on Youtube (and elsewhere) who has you covered, too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFoe3PEb1_7sAY1ZgehNP3A

Initially, there will be some costs to get all the stuff you need. But that's a one off, except for the materials. It will be cheaper than stock coils and premium liquids, by a massive margin.

Careful though, that can induce a different kind of addiction :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it's supposed to be hard...that way it keeps the riff raff out....or at least that was the thought ...back to the drawing board....but then again it's a helluva alot easeir than COPD or emphysema which are really fustrating.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With a decent RTA (tank with rebuildable coils) or RDA (same without the tank, you drip liquid into it as you go) you get much better flavours than with stock coil based tanks. It was a true eye opener for me. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run. Materials for your own coil cost pennies (or cents), not 2 or more bucks every time.

Building coils is pretty easy. This video got me on the right track:
It's long, but gives you a lot of info about safety, basic Ohm's law, tools needed, etc.

As for DIY juices, it can be as simple or complex as you want. But yes, if you do that too, you're literally the master of your own flavours :)
There are tons of really good recipes out there, so you only need a bunch of bottles, a cheap scale with two decimal places, the flavours, some VG, PG and nicotine. Sounds difficult, but there's a top bloke on Youtube (and elsewhere) who has you covered, too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFoe3PEb1_7sAY1ZgehNP3A

Initially, there will be some costs to get all the stuff you need. But that's a one off, except for the materials. It will be cheaper than stock coils and premium liquids, by a massive margin.

Careful though, that can induce a different kind of addiction :)
That sounds like the way I would like to go I'm all about the flavor so RDA or RTA which ever works. It would seem the RTA would be better so your not dripping as much. Plus if I have the pieces the cotton and pre wrapped wire ect. Than in theory all I have to do is put it together. I will check out that video for sure.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Tank is more convenient, especially on the go, but when you get into DIY mixing there's no way around an RDA as you will be sampling tiny amounts of liquid and can change wicks much quicker than with a tank.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
oh cool so I could just buy supplies and and it would be a plug and play sort of thing?
pretty much. You can use steamengine.org to build virtual coils without wasting any wire. You can buy premade wire on a spool or make your own..
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-build-you-first-basic-coil-for-new-vapers.298828/
This is me showing that if THIS idiot can build anyone can.
Keep it simple to start. Single wire coils, then move up to single core claptons, then you can try 2 strand parallel coils and later, fused claptons (clapton with 2 or more core wires)
I suggest working with enough wire to build one coil at a time to start. It is easier to work with. (8 inches should be enough)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you are not alone. Alot of stuff coming out nowadays seems to cater to the cloudz community. Meaning its all about blowing big clouds, O tricks, and looking cool. Its not as much about quitting smoking like it used to be.
With that said alot of the stuff you have is the most popular stuff on the market and it caters to that cloudz community IMHO.

I stopped using tanks with premade ocils years ago, but used them for years as well. I havent smoked in almost 8 years now.

In terms of juices....
OMG this is the biggest pain in the ass for us.
Making your own can be rewarding and is a million times cheaper. my juice costs me 2-7 cents a ml.
But you know how much time and money it took to get the flavors i wanted and were good enough to stop buying commercial juice??? About $100. And about 2 weeks of experimenting and researching.

I whole heartedly recommend making your own juice, but it is a process as well and can be equally as frustrating.
The trick is to find a single flavor profile you like
for me it was peach. SO that was easy enough to get started. try 5 or 6 different brands of peach flavoring, try the recommend percentages. try different percentages. try mixing them. Had about 12 bottles of stuff I didnt like and 1 that worked. Then I could build from there.

I would highly look into finding a store somewhere near you, that lets you taste test their flavors, and spend a bunch of time there oned ay trying everything you can as often as you can. try and find 3 flavors. Ask them if they can mix it with some extra flavor for you, many stores whole mix their own are willing to do this IME.

Now how to treat your coils to get more flavor and longer life.
Rule #1 dark juices destroy coils fast
so tobaccos, custards chocolate etc
the clearer the juice the more life you get out of a premade coil

rule 2
dont use multiple flavors on the same coil
this just gunks up the cotton.
because of how tight that cotton is usually packed in there you will never get rid of all of flavor 1 and it will always be effecting flavor 2

rule 3
you dont need fancy coils in your tank to get flavor
ALot of people use coils that work in the 30-60w range for flavor not 70-150w
Now Im not familiar with the arco but I see 3 coils for it
go with the T6 it is a dual parrallel coil and should work great in teh 40-60w range
for the crown 3 the .5 coils should work well also in that range
for the beast tanks go with a dual coil thats .4-.6 in range
Any coil that is 3+ coils is more clouds then flavor IMHO
Remember if it says parallel that means 2 coils
so a triple parallel is actually 6 coils

rule 4 more watts doesnt = more flavor
many of these coils sold today have ridiculous wattage ranges, both too high and too low.
with any coil (excpet MTL which is not what you are doing) you start low say 20 watts, then go up n 5 watt increments till you find something you dont like and go back
then you can play around in 1 watt increments to fine tune
30-60watts is the average range in my experience for many people who want flavor over clouds, but some people like it even lower or a bit higher

rule 5 prep the coil
these coils are not that great but we can do one thing to help. Before you do anything with it, take a needle or pin and poke a bunch of holes through the cotton. this lets juice flow better through it and to the coil
also never start a coil at high wattages >40ishW this can often burn the layer of cotton right next to the coil because it was not saturated enough and juice flow wasnt strong enough to keep that inner layer moist. SO start low for a few minutes and work up to your ideal wattage on a new coil
if any of the cotton gets even singed, you lose flavor or get bad flavor

rule 6
never let the tank go dry. This will lead to burning cotton and you are right back to bad flavor
always refill sooner then you think

rule 7
you are going to get bad coils from time to time
I could use a coil for weeks, then replace it and get one that lasted a few days...these are mass manufactured low QC products. You will get bad ones...hence Why it is cheaper to get an RDA or RTA and make your own coils. If you really want to try this route. Pick up something like a griffin 25 or griffin aio
goto a place like advancedvapesupplies.com
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...oil-26g-or-28g-30g-or-32g?variant=31964119937

grab the 10 pack of clapton coils in 28/36 ask for 3mm and 7 wraps
that will give you about .48 ohms in a dual coil build
all you have to do is install those on the deck, wick, and add juice
grab some cotton there as well or from your local vape shop, watch videos on the exact RTA you bought and you can get started that way
That combo in a griffin 25 or aio should give you great flavor in the 50 watt area
the coils can last you months, but you will rewick maybe ever day to every couple weeks depending on your use and juice

ok Im done babbling now hope this helps

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you are not alone. Alot of stuff coming out nowadays seems to cater to the cloudz community. Meaning its all about blowing big clouds, O tricks, and looking cool. Its not as much about quitting smoking like it used to be.
With that said alot of the stuff you have is the most popular stuff on the market and it caters to that cloudz community IMHO.

I stopped using tanks with premade ocils years ago, but used them for years as well. I havent smoked in almost 8 years now.

In terms of juices....
OMG this is the biggest pain in the ass for us.
Making your own can be rewarding and is a million times cheaper. my juice costs me 2-7 cents a ml.
But you know how much time and money it took to get the flavors i wanted and were good enough to stop buying commercial juice??? About $100. And about 2 weeks of experimenting and researching.

I whole heartedly recommend making your own juice, but it is a process as well and can be equally as frustrating.
The trick is to find a single flavor profile you like
for me it was peach. SO that was easy enough to get started. try 5 or 6 different brands of peach flavoring, try the recommend percentages. try different percentages. try mixing them. Had about 12 bottles of stuff I didnt like and 1 that worked. Then I could build from there.

I would highly look into finding a store somewhere near you, that lets you taste test their flavors, and spend a bunch of time there oned ay trying everything you can as often as you can. try and find 3 flavors. Ask them if they can mix it with some extra flavor for you, many stores whole mix their own are willing to do this IME.

Now how to treat your coils to get more flavor and longer life.
Rule #1 dark juices destroy coils fast
so tobaccos, custards chocolate etc
the clearer the juice the more life you get out of a premade coil

rule 2
dont use multiple flavors on the same coil
this just gunks up the cotton.
because of how tight that cotton is usually packed in there you will never get rid of all of flavor 1 and it will always be effecting flavor 2

rule 3
you dont need fancy coils in your tank to get flavor
ALot of people use coils that work in the 30-60w range for flavor not 70-150w
Now Im not familiar with the arco but I see 3 coils for it
go with the T6 it is a dual parrallel coil and should work great in teh 40-60w range
for the crown 3 the .5 coils should work well also in that range
for the beast tanks go with a dual coil thats .4-.6 in range
Any coil that is 3+ coils is more clouds then flavor IMHO
Remember if it says parallel that means 2 coils
so a triple parallel is actually 6 coils

rule 4 more watts doesnt = more flavor
many of these coils sold today have ridiculous wattage ranges, both too high and too low.
with any coil (excpet MTL which is not what you are doing) you start low say 20 watts, then go up n 5 watt increments till you find something you dont like and go back
then you can play around in 1 watt increments to fine tune
30-60watts is the average range in my experience for many people who want flavor over clouds, but some people like it even lower or a bit higher

rule 5 prep the coil
these coils are not that great but we can do one thing to help. Before you do anything with it, take a needle or pin and poke a bunch of holes through the cotton. this lets juice flow better through it and to the coil
also never start a coil at high wattages >40ishW this can often burn the layer of cotton right next to the coil because it was not saturated enough and juice flow wasnt strong enough to keep that inner layer moist. SO start low for a few minutes and work up to your ideal wattage on a new coil
if any of the cotton gets even singed, you lose flavor or get bad flavor

rule 6
never let the tank go dry. This will lead to burning cotton and you are right back to bad flavor
always refill sooner then you think

rule 7
you are going to get bad coils from time to time
I could use a coil for weeks, then replace it and get one that lasted a few days...these are mass manufactured low QC products. You will get bad ones...hence Why it is cheaper to get an RDA or RTA and make your own coils. If you really want to try this route. Pick up something like a griffin 25 or griffin aio
goto a place like advancedvapesupplies.com
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...oil-26g-or-28g-30g-or-32g?variant=31964119937

grab the 10 pack of clapton coils in 28/36 ask for 3mm and 7 wraps
that will give you about .48 ohms in a dual coil build
all you have to do is install those on the deck, wick, and add juice
grab some cotton there as well or from your local vape shop, watch videos on the exact RTA you bought and you can get started that way
That combo in a griffin 25 or aio should give you great flavor in the 50 watt area
the coils can last you months, but you will rewick maybe ever day to every couple weeks depending on your use and juice

ok Im done babbling now hope this helps

Wow Thanks for all the info! Your right about the tanks there all very popular models. I chose the Crown 3 and the arco because they are supposed to offer very good flavor. The arco has the flax paper around the coils which is supposed to help coil life a lot as well as flavor. As for coils in my baby beast I have used the Q2 .4 and .6 the T6 I believe it was and the X4’s. The x4 from what I have read and experienced has the best flavor. I use them at 40-45 watts. I have only used two coils with the arco both were the t6 the first I think was bad. It hurt my lungs and was burnt tasting from the start. The second was better and does outlast at least a baby beast coil. The crown three I have used one .25 and on .5 with it 70watt on the .5 and 80 on the .25. The arco I was at 80 watts on the t6.
I have the arco primed and soaking at the moment with the a6 coil because the t6’s were out of stock.
I will have to look into asking about extra flavor at a local shop there are four within ten miles of me one less than a mile lol.
As for you rules I knew about the sweet juice killing coils but not the dark juice. Color is easy to see but other than a flavor tasting sweet I have no clue how sweet it may really be. I do always prime the coil let it soak 30-60 min and start with no power hits. I work my way up from 30watts or so as you said. I don’t know thought how long or how many hits I should be at each wattage though. One rule I am braking all the time however is switching juices. I do this all the time as I am tying different flavors looking for the ones I like and can constantly taste well. I was wondering if this was a bad idea as it takes 5-10 puffs for me to clear the old flavor out. I do also let the tanks get lower than I should though I do pay attention the the minimum line. If I wasn’t planing on switching flavors I would be less likely to let it get so low.
The RDA you mentioned and the pre wrapped coils sound perfect for me. I’m sure at some point I would want to learn to wrap my own from a spool but to start I would love to just drop a ready made coil in. Especially if there isn’t an big advantage in price or flavor. I haven’t looked at that RDA yet I wanted to respond to you as soon as I could but I will take a look after I do. I was wondering though would any RDA work with coils like that?
Thank you for taking the time that you did to respond to my post. The help is very appreciated. Oh yeah as for the DIY juice I think I’ll hold off on that at least until I settle into a mod that I am going to stick with for some time. I don’t want to many variables all at once.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
pretty much. You can use steamengine.org to build virtual coils without wasting any wire. You can buy premade wire on a spool or make your own..
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-build-you-first-basic-coil-for-new-vapers.298828/
This is me showing that if THIS idiot can build anyone can.
Keep it simple to start. Single wire coils, then move up to single core claptons, then you can try 2 strand parallel coils and later, fused claptons (clapton with 2 or more core wires)
I suggest working with enough wire to build one coil at a time to start. It is easier to work with. (8 inches should be enough)
cool vid man thank you.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I recommended RTAs whicch are RDAs with a tank on them basically in the simplest terms
But those coils will work with almost any RTA or RDA. SOme RTAs and RDAs have more room on the deck for bigger coils. The ones I recommended will fit most decks but not all.

You will still want to watch coil making videos so you know how to pulse a new coil and strum it with ceramic tweezers etc.
But premade coils like that make trying out RTAs, RDAs easier.

To prime your coils on your tanks,
Poke pin holes from the sides and where juice actually gets to the cotton.
then put juice directly on the cotton.
wait a few seconds see if you can put more on
wait a few more seconds see if you can put more on
repeat till cotton is fully saturated
assemble
you can let it sit for a while if you choose. I never did that, but I never used the equipment you have
close airflow
take some draws without firing
Then start with wattage lowered to 20-30ish
and take some puffs turn the wattage up 5 watts at a time taking a few puffs and build up to your ideal wattage
This is what I always did on stuff like you are using and it helps

Those pin holes are important IMHO

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm new to the whole Vape scene also and I have been buying the cheaper spectrum of juice to start in local stores in the smallest bottle available. Mostly because I don't know what flavor i like but it also gave me a chance to buy juice online - ITS SO MUCH CHEAPER!

As far as coils I just bought a package of Claptons for a few bucks to for my RTA; cotton is cheap
This has been working great so far and I'm learning more about the whole building game.

On subohms, as recommended above, to poke some holes in the screens to help keep the coils damp to prevent a dry hit and extend the life of the coils.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recommended RTAs whicch are RDAs with a tank on them basically in the simplest terms
But those coils will work with almost any RTA or RDA. SOme RTAs and RDAs have more room on the deck for bigger coils. The ones I recommended will fit most decks but not all.

You will still want to watch coil making videos so you know how to pulse a new coil and strum it with ceramic tweezers etc.
But premade coils like that make trying out RTAs, RDAs easier.

To prime your coils on your tanks,
Poke pin holes from the sides and where juice actually gets to the cotton.
then put juice directly on the cotton.
wait a few seconds see if you can put more on
wait a few more seconds see if you can put more on
repeat till cotton is fully saturated
assemble
you can let it sit for a while if you choose. I never did that, but I never used the equipment you have
close airflow
take some draws without firing
Then start with wattage lowered to 20-30ish
and take some puffs turn the wattage up 5 watts at a time taking a few puffs and build up to your ideal wattage
This is what I always did on stuff like you are using and it helps

Those pin holes are important IMHO
Oh yeah I forgot to ask about the pin holes. I have herd this mentioned a lot. It seems there are mixed opinions about it. But most seem to be for it. I have herd it can cause flooding. I did try it with an x4 coil on my baby beast and I didn't really notice any difference really. for the x4 it was obvious where to poke but less so with the arco coil. Anyway I will play around with that more. The idea makes sense to me. As for the RTA I do like the idea of having a tank still so I'm not needing to drip all the time. That Griffin 25 looks very cool and not very pricey. I saw it on My Vape store and the reviews were mostly great. I did notice a few people saying that it would not be a good choice for beginners. Any idea why?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If flavor matters more to you than anything else, then yes, a decent RDA is definitely the only way to go. An RTA can give you added convenience, but you sacrifice a certain amount of flavor for that (yes really!), and the same also applies to an RDTA... I vape exclusively on RDAs, and almost exclusively on mech mods.

Simple coil builds like round wire, parallel round wire, and regular (single core) claptons are not for me. They give me less flavor when compared to the more advanced build types like fused claptons, staples, aliens, staple staggered fused claptons, etc..

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new to the whole Vape scene also and I have been buying the cheaper spectrum of juice to start in local stores in the smallest bottle available. Mostly because I don't know what flavor i like but it also gave me a chance to buy juice online - ITS SO MUCH CHEAPER!

As far as coils I just bought a package of Claptons for a few bucks to for my RTA; cotton is cheap
This has been working great so far and I'm learning more about the whole building game.

On subohms, as recommended above, to poke some holes in the screens to help keep the coils damp to prevent a dry hit and extend the life of the coils.
Man you are not wrong the stores are not cheap at all! Don't ever buy a mod at one! It does seem more and more people like the idea of the pinhole. I will be testing it out.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If flavor matters more to you than anything else, then yes, a decent RDA is definitely the only way to go. An RTA can give you added convenience, but you sacrifice a certain amount of flavor for that (yes really!), and the same also applies to an RDTA... I vape exclusively on RDAs, and almost exclusively on mech mods.

Simple coil builds like round wire, parallel round wire, and regular (single core) claptons are not for me. They give me less flavor when compared to the more advanced build types like fused claptons, staples, aliens, staple staggered fused claptons, etc..
When you talk about a loss in flavor do you mean compared to an RDA or compared to the more advanced set ups that you use? If its the more advanced set ups I guess I would need to live with that at least for a while. I have heard at least that an RTA would be a big step up flavor wise to sub ohm tanks.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The only thing about vaping for me that is frustrating is a new member who has been vaping for 3-4 months and started by asking newbie questions who now is offering advice and claiming to be an expert. Or some dumbass new member who comes here and spouts BS about orders and doesn't even understand the difference between a shipping label being created and actually shipped. Yeah sure you saw a video or read on the internet so it must be true! F@#k That!

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
not 1 pinhole half a dozen or so on each juice port opening you find on a coil

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

and this opinion iis 100% valid, I have tried a few RDAs not many, mayber 4 or so, and they were ones people claim have great flavor, but it never exceeded the flavor I got in my RTAs only was as good as..... BUT THAT IS ME and my experience. For every person like me you will find plenty more like @Carambrda . Many RTAs give amazing flavor, I think almost every RTA from geekvape does. Many RDAs give amazing flavor. Unfortunately you have to experiment to find what works for you

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
and this opinion iis 100% valid, I have tried a few RDAs not many, mayber 4 or so, and they were ones people claim have great flavor, but it never exceeded the flavor I got in my RTAs only was as good as..... BUT THAT IS ME and my experience. For every person like me you will find plenty more like @Carambrda . Many RTAs give amazing flavor, I think almost every RTA from geekvape does. Many RDAs give amazing flavor. Unfortunately you have to experiment to find what works for you
I got you. Still at least I know what to look into now.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The only thing about vaping for me that is frustrating is a new member who has been vaping for 3-4 months and started by asking newbie questions who now is offering advice and claiming to be an expert. Or some dumbass new member who comes here and spouts BS about orders and doesn't even understand the difference between a shipping label being created and actually shipped. Yeah sure you saw a video or read on the internet so it must be true! F@#k That!
Hello SteveS45. I understand what your saying here completely I hope that your not referring to me as I started the thread. If I've come across that way it was not in anyway my intent. I am here for the advise of others and fully admit my knowledge of this topic is very basic.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The only thing about vaping for me that is frustrating is a new member who has been vaping for 3-4 months and started by asking newbie questions who now is offering advice and claiming to be an expert.

Hello SteveS45. I understand what your saying here completely I hope that your not referring to me as I started the thread. If I've come across that way it was not in anyway my intent. I am here for the advise of others and fully admit my knowledge of this topic is very basic.

Seeing that I'm the other newbie in this thread, if you were referring to me @SteveS45 , I'd like to point out that I have not and will never claim to be an expert. All I have offered here and elsewhere is my opinion from my limited experience. If I stepped on yours or anybody else's toes, feel free to shout at me via PM. ;)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tank is more convenient, especially on the go, but when you get into DIY mixing there's no way around an RDA as you will be sampling tiny amounts of liquid and can change wicks much quicker than with a tank.

I must agree with this but I do use the same devices to test my DIY mixes that I have confidence in because I want it to taste exactly the same as vaping it normally. I do use an RDA on rare occasions for testing though but that is rare.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
just ignore steve I do
click his name, that opens a pop up, click ignore. Never see his posts again

If he is referring to either of you, no worries, you are asking the same questions many of us did in the beginning

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Not being mean just fucking with you a little bit but in NO WAY was I referring to you or any comments you have made. If you look it says 3-4 months not weeks.

Welcome to the VU @lucifah and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And don't listen to a dick saying to ignore me who is butt hurt being proved wrong or talking Bullshit out their ass.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
See he says he is ignoring me but why is he able to see what I post? really he clicked to see it huh? That important to see what I said?

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Not being mean just fucking with you a little bit but in NOW WAY was I referring to you or any comments you have made. If you look it says 3-4 months not weeks.

Welcome to the VU @lucifah and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks! And I didn't take offence, no worries! :)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Learning to rebuild is a great asset to have, once you vape your own builds factory coils are chit. The few days of coil life is usually associated with the juice your vaping. DIY juice..once you get tired of spending bucks on YUK commercial juices then get into making juice.
IMO the frustrating part for you is stock factory coils...remove the factory coils and start vaping rebuilds...the frustration will disappear as your climbing the learning curve of rebuilding attys, replaced with victories of this new build you just made.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Learning to rebuild is a great asset to have, once you vape your own builds factory coils are chit. The few days of coil life is usually associated with the juice your vaping. DIY juice..once you get tired of spending bucks on YUK commercial juices then get into making juice.
IMO the frustrating part for you is stock factory coils...remove the factory coils and start vaping rebuilds...the frustration will disappear as your climbing the learning curve of rebuilding attys, replaced with victories of this new build you just made.
That's my plan I just need to sort out a good starting point. As in a good RDA/RTA for a noob.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Took me around 2 years to find what suited me best in vaping.
part of that is becuase some of what I like had not been invented yet :)
Still spent about 2/3 less than I would have spent on cigs at $34/carton.

Recently piffed out all the stuff I got but did not suit me to others and kept what I like and use.
Just because I do not like it does not mean that someone else will not.
There is no one size fits all in vaping.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Took me around 2 years to find what suited me best in vaping.
part of that is becuase some of what I like had not been invented yet :)
Still spent about 2/3 less than I would have spent on cigs at $34/carton.

Recently piffed out all the stuff I got but did not suit me to others and kept what I like and use.
Just because I do not like it does not mean that someone else will not.
There is no one size fits all in vaping.
This is very true and flavor is very subjective as well. As long as I am finding strong flavors at a good price I'll be happy I can always try something ells in the line. Hopefully figuring out RTA's will help with this.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is very true and flavor is very subjective as well. As long as I am finding strong flavors at a good price I'll be happy I can always try something ells in the line. Hopefully figuring out RTA's will help with this.
Yep, I like more subtle flavors. Liked stronger ones when I first started vaping but soon liked less flavoring and since I DIY that was easy to achieve.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When you talk about a loss in flavor do you mean compared to an RDA or compared to the more advanced set ups that you use? If its the more advanced set ups I guess I would need to live with that at least for a while. I have heard at least that an RTA would be a big step up flavor wise to sub ohm tanks.
Compared to a decent RDA, and assuming there are no other factors that are causing this decent RDA's better flavor to still be lost anyway after all. Kinda like in Hi Fi... garbage in, garbage out─and that also applies to the coil build, the wicking, the aiflow, the watts, the optional preheat if necessary, and not just the juice you're vaping (and in fact a juice that tastes wonderful on one particular coil build might taste pretty un-nice on another... even, if this other coil build does give wonderful taste with all or practically all other juices you've ever tried).

Further, I should probably note, flavor perception is subjective. Some people mix a batch of TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (VBIC) and then they wonder why all they can taste is black pepper, for example, whereas other people might get a chemical taste from most juices that cointain less than 70 percent VG so, if there's anyone whose opinions I would avoid, it would be the person who has already been vaping for more than a year and who, despite that, still hasn't figured out the simplest of facts, i.e, that it's all just a highly subjective matter. :D

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Usually, I will not reccomend an RDA to people that are just starting out because they're a bit more involved than your standard tank. Fortunately, there's enough material on Youtube for even a novice vaper to start building coils quickly, but most of the videos will not tell you that you *must* be careful not to build a coil that's too low of a resistance. They'll just have a disclaimer saying that the video is intended for "advanced" vapers. Battery venting is a very real danger. Here's what happens when a battery vents.

This situation is easily avoidable, however. I suggest you read up on Ohm's Law (if you don't know it already) and battery safety before switching to an RDA if that's the route you want to take. Use these links. They should help you get started.

https://www.misthub.com/blogs/vape-tutorials/76788933-tutorial-ohms-law-and-vape-safety-calculator
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/lithium_ion_safety_concerns
http://blog.mtbakervapor.com/top-10-vaping-safety-tips/
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...ci6/everything_you_ever_wanted_to_know_about/

And here's a good tutorial for building coils, in case you take this route:

There's one more link that you'll want to visit, but I can't remember the name. It belongs to a guy that's considered to be an expert on lithium-ion batteries. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the link.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors