Become a Patron!

Does vaping leave a bad odor?

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping for over a year. Started with some Chinese stick battery and a Kangertech Protank II. I've since upgraded to the fog machine (sometimes known as the Crown tank) firmly threaded into the Eleaf 100w TC.

Anyway, the parents found out through a series of unfortunate events, that I vape. I still believe they'd never know if it hadn't been for an unfortunate relapse into the analogs, since I've been vaping inside for over a year. The smell of the smoke and my mother wandering at unusually late hours tipped them off.

Now they've insisted on me going outside to vape, which I had thought to be another arbitrary parent rule until last night. Thinking that I could keep my vaping indoors unbeknownst to them, I had a good vape session going late at night while playing some video games when they busted me.

Both of them have gone on rants about how badly it smells, but at worst it's like someone started a bakery in my room. There's no VG film on the windows or anything, yet they ranted about it sticking to the paint and such. I'm fine with following the rule now that I know they have an issue with the smell, but I wanted to know if any of you have had issues in the past with non-vapers disliking the smell. Maybe it's just ignorance, and the fact that they don't like me vaping in general? Or maybe we're all just totally nose-blind to the smell like smokers are?

Thoughts?

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd dare say I've been here long enough to have read about many incidents where non-vapers just flatout dislike the smell of our vapes. In some cases, some even prefer tobacco smell instead, don't ask me why?
As to my own experience, when I use some strong flavor, it does leave an odor especially if you're in a closed air-conditioned room.
Bad odor? We probably wouldn't think so. But to others, they may consider it "bad". So my suggestion is be very considerate, especially if they're your parents and you're living in "their" house .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
it depends on the juice and person.
my adv. is either a berry crunch cereal or a peanut butter sugar cookie. both get raved about by everyone for their smell, with the exception of 1 or 2 people.

personally i think its placebo. They see smething that looks like smoke, so they make the association. It does in fact have an odor, but i don't find it bad.

when vaping around the public, i follow smokers etiquette. i don't vape with the smokers, but i don't vape indoors, unless its my home, or i have asked those around me. I also don't play human fog machine in public either.

edit: I just saw, it was your parents home. Hate to be the crusty old dude, BUT: if you live in their home, you have to respect their space.

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd dare say I've been here long enough to have read about many incidents where non-vapers just flatout dislike the smell of our vapes. In some cases, some even prefer tobacco smell instead, don't ask me why?
As to my own experience, when I use some strong flavor, it does leave an odor especially if you're in a closed air-conditioned room.
Bad odor? We probably wouldn't think so. But to others, they may consider it "bad". So my suggestion is be very considerate, especially if they're your parents and you're living in "their" house .

I'm definitely following the rules better now, I just wish they'd actually do some research with an open mind. They still think it's 100 times worse than smoking. If they want it outside though, they're gonna have to be okay with me taking 20 minutes out. I still need my cloud sessions man....

MASSIVE

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You'd think they'd be thrilled that you're trying to stay off the analogs....

My wife is still weird about it too. I don't get it. People who come into the studio have commented on the smell though -- in the positive. I used to think I was blowing smoke out of the door in the foyer, but I knew the place smelled like ciggies. Now it smells like - well, whatever I'm vaping.

Which is typically a much better scent than cigs.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah there are plenty of juices out there that smell like "Booty Gumbo" and taste even worse (no I have no idea what booty gumbo tastes like:p).

All I can say to you is that gently over time, try to explain ecigs to your parents. I know some folks on here much have some links to educational sites/studies that you may be able to get them to read or just use as reference when talking to them about it. I hope they might change their minds in the future. :)

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A thought just came through my mind. What do they like to eat? Find that flavor and vape it. Maybe start in the kitchen, who knows?

rrperez75

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I hear that awhile back I bought juice that was chocolate brownie my hubby kept saying it smelled like piss and it was the juice

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm definitely following the rules better now, I just wish they'd actually do some research with an open mind. They still think it's 100 times worse than smoking. If they want it outside though, they're gonna have to be okay with me taking 20 minutes out. I still need my cloud sessions man....

Don't count on them ever thinking about it rationally, let alone doing their own research. It is far easier to hold onto a belief, no matter how incorrect, than it is to change to a different belief no matter how correct.

Myself, I don't have to worry about the same thing. My mother rather likes the smell if any of most of my vapes. The vast majority of them she can't smell at all and the very powerful fruit flavors I like to have every now and then mostly make the room smell like candy or bakery. Personally I think she's glad I quit smoking and has contemplated vaping herself (mostly bakery flavors or candy flavors--she has a sweet tooth and borderline diabetes) though I've told her that I couldn't in good conscious recommend that. She never smoked, or vaped, and unless I make the juice I can't guarantee that it would be 0mg nicotine.

With other relatives I choose to vape outside. It is easier than the hassle I would have trying to convince them that the similarities between my PV and a cigarette (or in my case pipe) begins and ends with I put it in my mouth and it contains nicotine.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've been vaping for over a year. Started with some Chinese stick battery and a Kangertech Protank II. I've since upgraded to the fog machine (sometimes known as the Crown tank) firmly threaded into the Eleaf 100w TC.

Anyway, the parents found out through a series of unfortunate events, that I vape. I still believe they'd never know if it hadn't been for an unfortunate relapse into the analogs, since I've been vaping inside for over a year. The smell of the smoke and my mother wandering at unusually late hours tipped them off.

Now they've insisted on me going outside to vape, which I had thought to be another arbitrary parent rule until last night. Thinking that I could keep my vaping indoors unbeknownst to them, I had a good vape session going late at night while playing some video games when they busted me.

Both of them have gone on rants about how badly it smells, but at worst it's like someone started a bakery in my room. There's no VG film on the windows or anything, yet they ranted about it sticking to the paint and such. I'm fine with following the rule now that I know they have an issue with the smell, but I wanted to know if any of you have had issues in the past with non-vapers disliking the smell. Maybe it's just ignorance, and the fact that they don't like me vaping in general? Or maybe we're all just totally nose-blind to the smell like smokers are?

Thoughts?

There are times when the smell offends ME. Mostly I've gotten used to it, but every now and then... just UCK. My husband has only complained about one or two tobacco-flavored vapes, that they were too smoky, and also if my strawberry & cream is extremely gunked, it smells like "burnt shit," he called it; as my smeller continues to improve, I can verify that the gunk really does smell, sorta like burnt plastic. It's pretty bad, and that juice gunks heavily, so I have to be persnickety about dry-burning and re-wicking, should be every other day, but sometimes I get lazy and it's twice a week. :D

My mom and aunt, in whose homes I've vaped, don't have any problem with the smell; both of them have been surrounding themselves with perfume and hairspray for over half a century, so their noses aren't that great. My mom used to smoke, but has been quit about 10-12 yrs. She much prefers hugging me now than when I smoked, she told me. :D

So, a) it does have a distinctive scent, which is unpleasant to some, tolerable by some, and undetectableby some, b) it can depend on the actual flavor, and c) it can depend on other factors like PG/VG ratio, and quantity of gunk.

As we're all so fond of pointing out about different preferences for flavor... everyone's different. What one can't detect may be just horrible to another.

Andria

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are times when the smell offends ME. Mostly I've gotten used to it, but every now and then... just UCK. My husband has only complained about one or two tobacco-flavored vapes, that they were too smoky, and also if my strawberry & cream is extremely gunked, it smells like "burnt shit," he called it; as my smeller continues to improve, I can verify that the gunk really does smell, sorta like burnt plastic. It's pretty bad, and that juice gunks heavily, so I have to be persnickety about dry-burning and re-wicking, should be every other day, but sometimes I get lazy and it's twice a week. :D

My mom and aunt, in whose homes I've vaped, don't have any problem with the smell; both of them have been surrounding themselves with perfume and hairspray for over half a century, so their noses aren't that great. My mom used to smoke, but has been quit about 10-12 yrs. She much prefers hugging me now than when I smoked, she told me. :D

So, a) it does have a distinctive scent, which is unpleasant to some, tolerable by some, and undetectableby some, b) it can depend on the actual flavor, and c) it can depend on other factors like PG/VG ratio, and quantity of gunk.

As we're all so fond of pointing out about different preferences for flavor... everyone's different. What one can't detect may be just horrible to another.

Andria

I had my mother smell a few of my juices, and she did admit that they almost smell good. Her only complaint was that they had a slight 'chemical smell'. Perhaps if they were 0mg they wouldn't have the smell? I'm not sure. I never lost my sense of taste or smell because I only smoked for a few months before my bandmates gave me the option to either quit or start vaping like they had. My bassist in particular said if I ever smelled like cigs again, he'd kick my ass into shape. I suppose I have some pretty good friends in that sense. Back on topic though, I've never detected a chemical taste or smell in my liquids. I've had some that smelled like grossy, sticky, sweaty, maple syrup after I vaped them in my car, but that's only tobacco flavors and anything maple-y.

P.S. My Banana Foster smells glorious damn it!

Light seeker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I hate smell of tobacco flavored or rye4 vape. Wife ocassionlly vapes some, either my home brew i make for her or some commercial crap she bought .... It all smells like dirty funky socks. Kids agree, plead with her to change flavors.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had my mother smell a few of my juices, and she did admit that they almost smell good. Her only complaint was that they had a slight 'chemical smell'. Perhaps if they were 0mg they wouldn't have the smell? I'm not sure. I never lost my sense of taste or smell because I only smoked for a few months before my bandmates gave me the option to either quit or start vaping like they had. My bassist in particular said if I ever smelled like cigs again, he'd kick my ass into shape. I suppose I have some pretty good friends in that sense. Back on topic though, I've never detected a chemical taste or smell in my liquids. I've had some that smelled like grossy, sticky, sweaty, maple syrup after I vaped them in my car, but that's only tobacco flavors and anything maple-y.

P.S. My Banana Foster smells glorious damn it!

What's the PG/VG ratio? To me, PG smells like the scent inside a doctor's office, almost alcohol-y... which I guess makes sense, since it actually is an alcohol (that glyc-ol ending is the tipoff). VG is also a form of alcohol (glycer-ol). That may be what's she smelling. Or, it might be that because she THINKS it should smell chemical, it does -- suggestion is a powerful influence on the mind. It's possible her nose is sharp enough to detect the alcohol nature of Pg and VG, but I'd tend to vote for suggestion -- just like those ANTZ who see what looks like smoke, and start waving their arms and coughing, convinced they're choking to death. :D

Andria

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's the PG/VG ratio? To me, PG smells like the scent inside a doctor's office, almost alcohol-y... which I guess makes sense, since it actually is an alcohol (that glyc-ol ending is the tipoff). VG is also a form of alcohol (glycer-ol). That may be what's she smelling. Or, it might be that because she THINKS it should smell chemical, it does -- suggestion is a powerful influence on the mind. It's possible her nose is sharp enough to detect the alcohol nature of Pg and VG, but I'd tend to vote for suggestion -- just like those ANTZ who see what looks like smoke, and start waving their arms and coughing, convinced they're choking to death. :D

Andria

It's 90% VG blend

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's 90% VG blend

In that case... I have to think it's 99.99% in her mind, because VG doesn't have the same sort of "medicinal" smell that PG does. She THINKS it ought to smell like chemicals, so that's what she smells.

Andria

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In that case... I have to think it's 99.99% in her mind, because VG doesn't have the same sort of "medicinal" smell that PG does. She THINKS it ought to smell like chemicals, so that's what she smells.

Andria

That's a very good point. I suppose there is no real reason to try to convince parents that they're wrong. It just doesn't work that way. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's a very good point. I suppose there is no real reason to try to convince parents that they're wrong. It just doesn't work that way. :)

Unfortunately all too true. Some people are just determined to hate vaping, no matter how beneficial it is to quit, and stay quit, from smoking, or prevent smoking. But the sheer fact of being unable to please parents is why I moved out of their house (and why, at nearly 55, I still don't really enjoy being around them -- my parents' pictures are in the dictionary next to "control freak"); at some point, you just have to bite the bullet and live on your own, because it's sadly true... "their house, their rules." If you can't abide by them... you have to leave.

Andria

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it seems to depend on the juice and the person smelling it. talked to a guy whos all day vape is milk and honey. his gf thinks it smells like old cat piss. i am always trying new flavors, so i grabbed a bottle and i think it tastes like old cat piss smells (like when you go into a place a crazy cat lady used to live in). the girl i was with at the time agreed. another one of my buddies loved it and i gave him the bottle. his wife is fine with it. pretty drastic difference of perception in my opinion. its either cat piss gtfo, or its someones adv...

Cuppa noodz

Member For 4 Years
I'd imagine that vaping a 90% VG blend has the entire floor of your house completely baked out with vapor. I drip high VG juice while at home and my entire place has a layer of fog so thick you can cut it with a knife. Constantly hearing it from my family, but I'm always apologetic, because I'm aware of how obnoxious the amount of vapor produced by dual claptons at 80 watts is. The smell is a matter of opinion, but the visual aspect will instantly turn off any non-vaper. Crack a window, problem solved.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd imagine that vaping a 90% VG blend has the entire floor of your house completely baked out with vapor. I drip high VG juice while at home and my entire place has a layer of fog so thick you can cut it with a knife. Constantly hearing it from my family, but I'm always apologetic, because I'm aware of how obnoxious the amount of vapor produced by dual claptons at 80 watts is. The smell is a matter of opinion, but the visual aspect will instantly turn off any non-vaper. Crack a window, problem solved.

Or use less VG! Geez, if I used more than 15% VG, my husband would probably send me back to the front porch! He already waves his arms around at my thin lil PG wisps!

Andria

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Or use less VG! Geez, if I used more than 15% VG, my husband would probably send me back to the front porch! He already waves his arms around at my thin lil PG wisps!

Andria

Bu..but... VG = clouds. No, in all seriousness, anything lower than %70 seems to run right out of my tanks. Plus, I use temp control, so high VG is no problem when you can't take a dry hit..

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My family never complained about smelling bad in the house when I vaped but I got a lot of" this isn't a Jimmy hendrix concert" because of all the fog lol

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
it surely can depending on what you are vaping.. Vaping does leave a residue on everything especially High VG...

Light seeker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pretty sure I heard somewhere that windex wasn't good for screens. I always use a fancy special cleaner for my laptop and TV. It may be just a gimmick though. Who knows.
Used to have a early flat screen tv that wasn't smooth glass ..... The manual cautioned not to use glass cleaner.

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Used to have a early flat screen tv that wasn't smooth glass ..... The manual cautioned not to use glass cleaner.
Yeah, my TV and Laptop screen are both the LED or LCD? I have no idea, they're just not shiny, so I don't use windex on em.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely leaves a smell, thats for sure. Weather its good or bad, thats all subjective. If you live in your parents house still then just suck it up and go outside to vape. No biggie. No need to cause any undue problems. Or you could go old school and do what I used to back in the day when smoking *ahem*...stuff. Make a spoof (papertowel roll stuffed with dryer sheets) and blow that shit through that and out the window. Or just use the papertowel roll to blow it out the window. Guess you dont need the dryer sheets lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In my experience vaping does have a slight odor which in my opinion does not last long at all and dissipates in a short period of time. I have had some say they can still smell a Fruit Flavor after a period of time but they were not offended by it. And I have also had my GF who is an e-Cigs user and former smoker not like some of the e-Liquids I personally enjoy.

Bottom line is that it is their house their rules. Don't like the rules move out and get your own place.

It will usually leave a faint smell, but not nearly as bad as regular smoke. The smell could possibly pass as like burnt popcorn or something so it is good if you want to smoke where smoking isn't allowed, but you'll still want to febreeze the place after to be safe

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My wife still smokes (I know, I am working on that) she always says Ooo whats that or Ooo that smells good except for once. She thinks Freedom Juice smells like cat piss.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My wife still smokes (I know, I am working on that) she always says Ooo whats that or Ooo that smells good except for once. She thinks Freedom Juice smells like cat piss.

I hope it does not taste like this stuff

Freedom Juice was designed to clean, lubricate and protect Firearms from minor and major malfunctions while exposed to adverse conditions such as those experienced in an extreme environment, but the uses for Freedom Juice go well beyond firearms. Freedom Juice can be applied to so many other things you use in your outdoor lifestyle but also in your home. See our USES tab to get more ideas on the others uses for Freedom Juice

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Surprised a Tobacco smells like cat Piss! But I have smelled an ammonia odor on Cig-a-likes before.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping HIC's gooey coconut cookies for months, and everyone who comes into the house asks if I'm baking cookies - they love the smell:p On the other hand I was vaping something last year with a slight honey flavor, and my daughter thought it smelled like bad fast food LOL

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I never thought it smelled at all until I switched brands of juice....then I noticed the smell. It is not a bad smell, but there is definitely a "smell" about our house. My husband is very good about it and has not said a single word, but I know he notices it. I do not vape around him and only time I vape inside is in the "girl cave" (lower level of our split level home). I only vape fruity juices and it does leave a smell....not bad, but definitely a smell all it's own.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Surprised a Tobacco smells like cat Piss! But I have smelled an ammonia odor on Cig-a-likes before.

The Virginia from MFS that I started with, because it tastes like Virginia Slims (sorta), someone reviewed as tasting like cat piss. I've never tasted cat piss, so i can't say for sure, but I never got the SMELL of cat piss from it either. Once my tastebuds started waking up, I thought it tasted like "soured" laundry that got left in the washing machine overnight, or towels that got used and wadded up instead of hung up to dry. But, when my buds were still tuned to tobacco, I thought it was... the cat's ass? :D

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Virginia from MFS that I started with, because it tastes like Virginia Slims (sorta), someone reviewed as tasting like cat piss. I've never tasted cat piss, so i can't say for sure, but I never got the SMELL of cat piss from it either. Once my tastebuds started waking up, I thought it tasted like "soured" laundry that got left in the washing machine overnight, or towels that got used and wadded up instead of hung up to dry. But, when my buds were still tuned to tobacco, I thought it was... the cat's ass? :D

Andria

I had a cat My Buddy for 18+ years and I never tasted it but there was times the litter box got changed when I walked in from work even if I had changed it that morning! Now if a Vape smelled or tasted like that I might throw away the Atomizer!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had a cat My Buddy for 18+ years and I never tasted it but there was times the litter box got changed when I walked in from work even if I had changed it that morning! Now if a Vape smelled or tasted like that I might throw away the Atomizer!

I've mentioned a lot that the only reason we can have a cat is because of 24-hr antihistamines (daily zyrtec!)... I suppose I can thank my violent allergy that I don't have to deal with the cat box, my husband handles that. He was always a really major "cat person" anyway, and really doesn't have much of a sense of smell -- though his has improved too, since he's no longer subjected to 2nd hand smoke on a regular basis. :) There's just so much WIN, in every possible way, in vaping instead of smoking. :) He may be even more grateful for it than I am! (and he doesn't even vape!)

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was always an animal lover but "My Buddy" was a present from an X. He was her birthday present but she left him with me when I threw her out! So he became mine and was the best thing she ever did for me! He gave unconditional love and until this day she still says she will always love me! Then she curses me out again and we won't speak for years until we run into each other because it is a small world.

da6f7e120cd03e272d234168e2d6cba3b3730391f71fada5ac6dffba483a635d.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was always an animal lover but "My Buddy" was a present from an X. He was her birthday present but she left him with me when I threw her out! So he became mine and was the best thing she ever did for me! He gave unconditional love and until this day she still says she will always love me! Then she curses me out again and we won't speak for years until we run into each other because it is a small world.

da6f7e120cd03e272d234168e2d6cba3b3730391f71fada5ac6dffba483a635d.jpg

My ex lives in Phoenix, I live in ATL, so not much chance of "running into" him. :D And when he gave me the "you're still addicted to nicotine" bullshit when I told him I had FINALLY quit smoking (which he bitched about for YEARS), I told him not to bother calling or emailing me anymore. The silence has been blissful. :)

Andria

VU Sponsors