Become a Patron!

Don't buy a Mech if you don't like Math

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I figured I'd contribute to this forum area with something I've seen quite a few times that bothers me a bit. Mechs are cheap, or well the clones are at least, but they simply aren't worthwhile if you don't understand what's going on. Not only will you potentially hurt yourself or others, you also won't get the quality of vape you may be after unless you're able to do the math and understand what's going on.

3 things you have to know for a Mech.

1) The math:
Ohm's Law: Amperes = Voltage/Resistance (a=v/Ω)
Wattage Formula: Watts = Amperes * Voltage (w=a*v)

Simple enough but you'll have to combine the equations and know some basic algebra to figure it all out, hence, if you hate math, don't bother with a mech.

2) Battery Safety, we have some awesome people on this forum and an entire area for "Battery Junkies" where you can find all the safety tips you could ever need. Below is a chart of tested values and recommendations from Mooch who is basically the go to guy for battery related things in the vaping world. I won't go too much into it as all the information is available already if you just jump over to the Battery Junkies area, and if any answer for a question doesn't pop out just ask away and someone will smack you with some knowledge.

18650.jpg

3) How it works. It's not complicated, you have your batteries in place, your atomizer with the coil acting as a resistor, and a button to close the circuit and fire. But, I figured I'd add a third thing to know as there's more than just picking the right battery, making sure it's not damaged, and doing the math to know you're safe. You have to put it all together. Know the difference between how batteries work in Parallel and Series (parallel the Amps add, Series the Voltage adds). Then there's typical battery sag and voltage drops, making a 4.2v charge not actually give you 4.2v but more like 3.7v. Lots of little details worth looking into. Then knowing what a Hybrid mod even means (battery touches strait to the atomizer). Then handling them safely, there's nothing to stop a mech mod from continually firing if the button is pressed. That means you toss it in your pocket/bag and it starts firing, it'll just keep going heating everything up ruining your coils at best. Personally that alone is why I don't use mine very often.

Now, yes mechs are pretty, and they're cheap, but they're just not always worthwhile. What got me wanting to write this up was seeing people either having trouble or having stupid ideas about mechs. Step away from them until you do plenty of research. I saw someone wanting to put a .15Ω coil tank on a Noisy Cricket (2 battery series box) meaning he'd be getting 8.4v (ignoring sag/loss). Do the math and we're talking a 56 amp draw, now there is no 18650 battery that is rated for that, and not many even half of that. But, not only that, he'd be blasting that coil with 470watts of power! That's just a mess. That's the safety side of the issue. Then there's just the quality side, see someone toss a .5Ω coil on a mech expecting to get the same results as they do on a regulated mod at say 50w. Well no, you're going to get about half that power (about 27w if you assume 3.7v).

So it's not just safety but quality as well, stick to regulated until you know what you're doing. Regulated might not be as pretty or cheap but it's better than carrying a potential pipe bomb. And, they'll work on most anything. Want to run the .3Ω coil for your tank? you can, same mod can run the .5Ω coil just as well. Your mech is a stationary unit and the vape is defined by your coil, regulated mods give you the ability to adjust other aspects to really dial it in.

I'll jump off my soapbox now, but I just hate seeing people put themselves in danger or waste money on something they won't/can't use. Similar information is posted all over this website, but I figured it was worth writing again in this area.

EDIT: http://vapingunderground.com/thread...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

A nice guide to all new people looking into this stuff. Has links and basically all the information you need to know.

Another addition: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/ohms-amps-watts-volts.201024/#post-977591

Robot Zombie gives a great complete analogy of each part of the energy formulas.

Last edited:

T702

Member For 4 Years
I think plenty of people that use mechs just have their local shop rebuild their attys and don't need to know anything but how to recognize when your battery is ready to swap.
Next step up from that is just knowing how to rewick, hit the shop for a rebuild one a month or something. Its nice to know, and it's not like you even have to know the (common, it's pretty simple) math, you just use a calculator. ..our that fly chart ya'll got there..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think plenty of people that use mechs just have their local shop rebuild their attys and don't need to know anything but how to recognize when your battery is ready to swap.
Next step up from that is just knowing how to rewick, hit the shop for a rebuild one a month or something. Its nice to know, and it's not like you even have to know the (common, it's pretty simple) math, you just use a calculator. ..our that fly chart ya'll got there..

That's true but I'd like to think that if someone joins a forum(esp. this one) they want to become a more informed consumer and that's a good summation about mech mods and not getting hurt.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Yup, it's not overly complicated but you still should to take the time to do it. A good vape shop will set people up right and give them some of the simple safety instructions, but not all vape shops are good. That's another thing I see often reading here, vape shop horror stories. I know one guy who uses clear wraps on his batteries freaked out a guy working at his local vape shop when he was sliding the battery into a tube mod. The worker dropped his drill and ran over to stop him, that's a good vape shop (and a good trick). Vape shops selling "35 amp" Efest batteries as 35amps and not 15+amps is not a good vape shop (If I worked at a vape shop I'd make that chart into a poster and hang it up, then again I'd probably not want to stock Efests either).

Worth taking an hour or two to protect yourself rather than trust your safety with someone who might just be grabbing a buck. Then again I do love carnival rides :D

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the price of regulated devices coming down to almost less than $.50 cents a watt, the difference in cost is shrinking. The flexibility of the regulated mod makes it a better value, imho.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
and hybrid caps should be verboten unless you can prove you know how to prevent blowing your shit up.

T702

Member For 4 Years
I agree, for sure, I just think the title was a little scary sounding ,ya know. When I learned, I had to do the math, but now punching three numbers into a calculator online I can hardly equate to a difficult math problem. I know lots of people want to be able to play with tc and different adjustable settings, but a lot of people just want something that is easy and reliable, like a cigarette is. As a guy that builds mods, I make regulated and mechanical devices and personally I prefer a simple, mechanical mod almost every time, I think a lot of smokers who are turning to vaping want the easiest, replacement for a cigarette they can get.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
and hybrid caps should be verboten unless you can prove you know how to prevent blowing your shit up.
I'm of the belief that you should have to know Ohm's Law by heart and be able to solve an equation using it to purchase a mech. It's only like 7th grade math.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree, for sure, I just think the title was a little scary sounding ,ya know. When I learned, I had to do the math, but now punching three numbers into a calculator online I can hardly equate to a difficult math problem. I know lots of people want to be able to play with tc and different adjustable settings, but a lot of people just want something that is easy and reliable, like a cigarette is. As a guy that builds mods, I make regulated and mechanical devices and personally I prefer a simple, mechanical mod almost every time, I think a lot of smokers who are turning to vaping want the easiest, replacement for a cigarette they can get.

If you can think of a better title I'm happy to change it. I was trying to come up with something not too long that started with "Don't".

I'm not a fan of TC, don't really see a need. I can see where some technophobic people could be scared away simply by the screen on a regulated mod though. But, really regulated mods aren't any more complicated, just press the up or down button to set wattage then press the fire button. Far less complicated than any cell phone you can get at this point (I'm a dumbphone user and it's getting damn hard to find them, last time I replaced mine it was more expensive than upgrading to a smart phone, but like hell I'm going to pay an extra $20 a month for a service that will only get me in trouble /endtangentialrant).

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I dont really ever use a Ohm meter but I tell you one thing If I build something and guess the resistance I will almost always be withing .05 of the actual resistance. I like the 521 for a build deck and pulsing device, but its nice to confirm my thoughts here and there...you wont get that using a calculator and having it do the math for you all the time, much like learning in school...you wont learn anything if you just skip to the answer, thats why teachers always made you write out the problem.

This is only my opinion and if what you do works for you then great, I suggest everyone do a bit more to keep learning and enjoying the hobby side of vaping but its only a suggestion.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you can think of a better title I'm happy to change it. I was trying to come up with something not too long that started with "Don't".

I'm not a fan of TC, don't really see a need. I can see where some technophobic people could be scared away simply by the screen on a regulated mod though. But, really regulated mods aren't any more complicated, just press the up or down button to set wattage then press the fire button. Far less complicated than any cell phone you can get at this point (I'm a dumbphone user and it's getting damn hard to find them, last time I replaced mine it was more expensive than upgrading to a smart phone, but like hell I'm going to pay an extra $20 a month for a service that will only get me in trouble /endtangentialrant).
If you live in a place where ejuice turns to glue when its cold you would understand why I love TC, especially Kanthal TC ;)

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you live in a place where ejuice turns to glue when its cold you would understand why I love TC, especially Kanthal TC ;)
That makes sense. I live in SoCal, so the only time my vape's been in the cold is when I'm up in the Mountains, and thankfully it had no issues. I really haven't even played with it much. I just don't have the issues it's supposed to solve.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That makes sense. I live in SoCal, so the only time my vape's been in the cold is when I'm up in the Mountains, and thankfully it had no issues. I really haven't even played with it much. I just don't have the issues it's supposed to solve.
Yea I wouldnt see the need if there wasnt a winter with days with -10°F and -25°F Windchill...Even 60/40 turns thicker then most High Vg liquids at room Temp and Dryhits happen almost every draw..In the summer I wont use it but it is very nice to have it when it gets that cold around here...

T702

Member For 4 Years
I didn't mean to bring any negativity, tbh I'm just excited to be here, I haven't spent much time here in a while,I'm stoaked there's so much action!

I vape in the shower so I guess that's one reason I'm still a mech guy too.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't mean to bring any negativity, tbh I'm just excited to be here, I haven't spent much time here in a while,I'm stoaked there's so much action!

I vape in the shower so I guess that's one reason I'm still a mech guy too.

No negativity detected, just good commentary. Shower Vaping is a new one I haven't heard, pretty sweet deal.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I wouldnt see the need if there wasnt a winter with days with -10°F and -25°F Windchill...Even 60/40 turns thicker then most High Vg liquids at room Temp and Dryhits happen almost every draw..In the summer I wont use it but it is very nice to have it when it gets that cold around here...
Yeah I can imagine, used to live in Montana but didn't vape then. Worst I had was -60 with wind chill. I miss it though.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
AMEN!

And if you are ever in a Vape Shop and see them selling a mech to a Noob......................................

images

VU Sponsors