DoomzDavid's Xtar VC2 charger review

Doomz David

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Positives:
-very lightweight, lighter than all my other chargers. Would be good to bring to vapemeets and comes with a durable carry bag.
-holds 2 26650's so there is a lot of room in each bay making it really easy to remove batteries from the charger.
-batteries charged on another charger will still gain 40-60 mah before showing full when put on the xtar VC2.
-digital readout shows you exactly how many mah have been charged into the battery.
-speedometer type gauges for each battery let you see quickly what the current voltage is for each battery.
-Charger and plug does not get hot during the charging process

Negatives:
-Took 1-1.5 hours longer to charge a battery than my other chargers
-device wire ends in a USB port. did not come with a traditional wall plug or wall outlet adapter. Supplier states that this is to lower the end cost to the consumer. Lititure from the supplier states that the chargers circuit detects what type of adapter you use safely. But, you must supply your own (like your cellphones for example). I don't feel this is safe and causes unneccisary risk. I can buy an adapter for $3 from a supplier, which means if i needed qty 300 to include with their chargers they could be bought for pennies each. Or, just end the wire in a traditional plug. It is common e-cig use knowledge to never charge a device off your computers USB port and certanily not off a USB to Car lighter adapter.
-One aspect of the VC2 that Xtar features in their documentation is the devices ability to "wake up" sleeping batteries. Sleeping batteries is the name they give for batteries that will hold no charge from being inactive and will not recharge on a traditional charger.
Even if this feature did work I would feel it is unsafe, mod batteries are only to be uses for say 300 charge cycles. If your battery won't hold a charge anymore or drops off its normal charge quickly the best action is to put it in the garbage not "wake it up"

Conclusion
This is a working well made charger that has some unique useful features and would be great for travel.
It adds the fullest amount of mah possible to a battery, more so than the nightcore d4 intellecharger by 40-60 mah. Most vapers already have a USB adapter so that is not a large issue but, i think the price should be 3-4 dollars cheaper AND include a plug adapter.

The Xtar VC2 is for sale at VaporKings.com for $21.95

Thank you to Fany from Xtarlight.com for supplying this product free of charge for the purposes of this review.

This review is not biased because Fany still has not shown me her fanny!

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the review.:DThere are something that we would love to point out.
1:device wire ends in a USB port. did not come with a traditional wall plug or wall outlet adapter. Supplier states that this is to lower the end cost to the consumer. Lititure from the supplier states that the chargers circuit detects what type of adapter you use safely.

Our charger can automatically adjust the charging current. Depending on what adaptor you use, the charging current will vary from 0.25A to 0.5A. Our enigineer has test the safety ability of these charger, which shows no issue. With USB adaptor, it would be much easier for user to charge. Much convenience provided, right?o_O

2:One aspect of the VC2 that Xtar features in their documentation is the devices ability to "wake up" sleeping batteries. Sleeping batteries is the name they give for batteries that will hold no charge from being inactive and will not recharge on a traditional charger.

First of all, this function is one of most important features. If you feel it it not safe to use this function, and can always not try to use it. It's all up to you, and it can not be called negatives, right?:) For 0V activation function, if the unprotected battery's voltage is below 2.0V, or over discharged, there are many chareger will not be able to charge it agian, but our charger will try to rescue it with very small charging current. In ten munites, our charger will charge send small current to it, if the voltage indicator shows the voltage has raised up, then the battery is back to life, if ten munites pass by, the screen of our charger shows "NULL".

We have tested a lot and has made sure that 0V activation function will bring no danger.

Thanks so much for the review.:)

Rickwhoo

Member For 4 Years
What is the best adapter to use with this charger? Will a 5v 2.1a adapter be better that one that has lower amps?

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My question is similar to @Rickwhoo's. I have one of these coming on the slow boat from China and intended to use a 2-Amp outlet adapter. Is there any advantage to doing so over a conventional 1-Amp adapter?

'Hoping that @Shenzhen XTAR will comment.

Edited to thank @Doomz David for the detailed revue!

Rickwhoo

Member For 4 Years
My question is similar to @Rickwhoo's. I have one of these coming on the slow boat from China and intended to use a 2-Amp outlet adapter. Is there any advantage to doing so over a conventional 1-Amp adapter?

'Hoping that @Shenzhen XTAR will comment.

Edited to thank @Doomz David for the detailed revue!
I contacted Xtar and they said that the 1amp was best for the battery life.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Input power is listed as DC 5V (standard USB) 1A. Max charging rate for the charger is .5A. A 1amp supply allows for .5 to both channels. A standard .5A would drop you to .25A. A 2A or 2.1A supply would still be limited to .5A. It's not going to hurt anything but it won't speed charging beyond what you get with 1A because that's all it's going to use.

I received this charger today. The 750mAh USB to 120VAC adapter which came with it (same packing as the charger) burned while charging the battery. And I mean burned, as in smoke and smelly plastic ..... Definitively there was no protection on the adapter itself. I am currently testing it with a 2.1 A adapter to see what develops.

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I received this charger today. The 750mAh USB to 120VAC adapter which came with it (same packing as the charger) burned while charging the battery. And I mean burned, as in smoke and smelly plastic ..... Definitively there was no protection on the adapter itself. I am currently testing it with a 2.1 A adapter to see what develops.
Hi, the VC2 is compatible with any 5V USB power, but please make sure you are using a good adapter.
37e82279-c852-429a-8aab-01ae74a4a785.jpg

3eccb4a4-50bc-4946-ac54-063d1c2e237c.gif

You can learn more about VC2 here:
http://www.xtar.cc/products_detail/productId=62.html

VU Sponsors