DotMod Petri V2: Authentic Vs. Clone

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, I have the authentic DotMod Petri V2, and also the clone from 3FVape. So I figured, why not do a side by side comparison?

I gotta tell ya, they're both very close. The main difference (in function) is that the clone has the cloud cap (2 airflow holes on each side), whereas the authentic only has one airflow hole per side. The main difference in style is that the clone has a gold plated (cheaply done, I might add) barrel cover and the authentic's is black.

Sizewise, they're almost identical. The clone drip tip is just a bit taller. The barrels and top caps are 100% interchangeable.

As far as my preferences go, I lean heavily towards the authentic. I'm more of a flavor chaser type of guy, and the single airflow holes are more conducive to a better flavor. But... The dual airflow holes in the clone are much easier on the ole lungs for a full lung hit.

So, For the price difference of $9.99 vs $90, is the authentic worth it? Absolutely. The flavor derived from this RDA can't be found in any other atty that I'm aware of. If $90 is too far of a reach for your vaping budget, then I would HIGHLY recommend the clone from 3FVape. It's a surprisingly good vape for ten bucks.

In the pics, the authentic is always on the left. Except for the pic showing the size of the post holes, where the clone is on the left. The wicking pic is the clone.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't have a clone, but I enjoy the dotmod atty...using it on a squonker. Definitely has good flavor just using 26 ga kanthal dual coils.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I need to try clapton wire...haven't ventured there yet.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Any particular place you buy coils?...or do you make um?

I don't have time to make them, if you could provide a site to buy I would appreciate it.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I kind of prefer the looks of the V1 cap, and as noted above they are interchangable. I ordered the authentic from Vape royalty and they got it to the post office in 2 days, and Usps has been hopscotching the thing here for 4 days. I swear ta gawd I hate that outfit sometimes.

BTW, CrazyChef makes a mean coil, you won't be disappointed...

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any particular place you buy coils?...or do you make um?

I don't have time to make them, if you could provide a site to buy I would appreciate it.
Lol- Asks THE Chef, "where do you order them from?" Answer: You place your order with the CHEF!

Sorry, Don't mean to make mean fun, he's just one of the better coil builder's I've seen on here! ;)

I've got an itch for a new atty... I'm thinking this will do the trick! some day I'll drop bills on atty's but for now.. if it's close, I'll use it!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I mean, it's kinda hard to miss it in my sig. Some people just don't pay attention to what's in sigs I guess.

he's just one of the better coil builder's I've seen on here!
Thank you! :D

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If you can find it, the V1.5 clone has two holes on the barrel. If you are using big wire, post holes will need to be enlarged though.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank @Dawn0810 (I hope I got that right) she made a bunch of us in the "post your build" thread aware of it a while back as it was the only clone with the fancy screws.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank @Dawn0810 (I hope I got that right) she made a bunch of us in the "post your build" thread aware of it a while back as it was the only clone with the fancy screws.
For a while the clones didn't have the thumb screws but the fasttech ones do sorry if I confused ya I have the one with the regular screws and to me it hold the wire tighter. But at 1/10th of the price I'll try some from fasttech and see which ones I truly like better out of the clones

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
is teh deck in the clone as big as a griffin 22mm or smaller or bigger?

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just had this same conversation with the clerks at a new vape shop I found in the city. They had a Petri sitting out and I asked if it was real and they said yes so I popped the sleeve off and it had the rounded screws and fucked up post holes. Had to tell them it wasnt authentic. And then we talked about it a little bit.

But I too have the 3F clone (a gold one) and a real one (black w/ dotcap), and though the clone is half decent, you can see, feel, and I swear taste the difference. The threads and gold plating is the most noticeable. The threads on the authentic are beyond butter smooth threading on a mod, it almost just floats on the threads and the plating is much much better (and real gold) on the real one. The clone is duller and it tarnishes really fast.

The clone is nice for the $10, but the authentic is just so much better. $80 better? I think so.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For a while the clones didn't have the thumb screws but the fasttech ones do sorry if I confused ya I have the one with the regular screws and to me it hold the wire tighter. But at 1/10th of the price I'll try some from fasttech and see which ones I truly like better out of the clones
No confusion, just making me spend money! I have one of the regular screw clones with the 2 airholes on each side, now I have a silver one with the fancy screws and just 1 airhole per side on the way.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No confusion, just making me spend money! I have one of the regular screw clones with the 2 airholes on each side, now I have a silver one with the fancy screws and just 1 airhole per side on the way.
Sorry but as long as you like them. It's better than paying 80$ and realizing you don't like it lol. I do it this way in case I hate it it's only 10 or so bucks as opposed to something close to 100

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Y U No Buy From Me?
It wasnt a "new purchase" its second hand, if I feel its worth it I have your pages bookmarked in my browser for when I purchase one new or its accessories. Im guessing Ill need a cloud cap soon after it arrives since it only has the normal topcap and it looks like a tight draw. Is there anything else you would suggest getting for it? Ive been meaning to ask if you if you have heard if they are going to sell spare decks?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There aren't any spare decks on their website, so probably not. I have a group buy started for when the new Dotbox comes out in the Co-Op forum. I added the V2 Cloudcaps to it if you decide later that you want one. Right now they're only available in blue or black, but I'm sure they'll be adding red and gold soon. I have a V1 green one, and I love it!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
There aren't any spare decks on their website, so probably not. I have a group buy started for when the new Dotbox comes out in the Co-Op forum. I added the V2 Cloudcaps to it if you decide later that you want one. Right now they're only available in blue or black, but I'm sure they'll be adding red and gold soon. I have a V1 green one, and I love it!
I may get the black version, the Petri I got is black and gold and Im not much of a fan of gold...but for some reason I love brass...odd isnt it?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not too odd. I love my brass Nemesis, but don't think I would like one in gold.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may get the black version, the Petri I got is black and gold and Im not much of a fan of gold...but for some reason I love brass...odd isnt it?
Naw, I'd say the same, Brass is classy but gold starts to enter that gaudy realm. A little trim matched up with some other color and it looks nice, something solid gold, it's a bit much.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
is teh deck in the clone as big as a griffin 22mm or smaller or bigger?
About the same size. I don't want to take out my Griffin deck right now, but it's about the same as the Avocado deck (pretty sure identical but it's been a while since I checked that so may be misremembering) and it matches up to that very closely. You may actually have a bit more space on the Petri with it's large post holes and minimal wasted space on the cap. In any case you can count on it being very close to the same.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
...Some people just don't pay attention to what's in sigs I guess...
Some people just don't pay attention to what's been posted PERIOD!

Thanks for the comparison! I have two clones, I mainly use on my Noisy Crickets. I love them so much, I ordered a third one in red, for my red NC. :) For me personally, the airflow is just right. I can't speak of the original though.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Is the Cloudcap something different than the Dotcap? What is it that you love about it, more airflow or ?\

Nevermind, I figured it out. The cloudcap is the 4 hole barrel

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, maybe a little too much for my liking. I opened up the 2 hole cap a little, IIRC to 1/8" which I find to be just about right.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Chef, do you actually send out a newsletter? I've signed up for it like 3 times and that pop up still keeps getting in my face every other time I visit your website.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, I'll be putting them out soon. I've been so busy with coil orders and website maintenance that I haven't had time to put any out yet.

mrmoodz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you only had enough money to buy the Petri V2 and the Petri Lite, or the Petri V2 and a Dot Cap, which would you choose?

If I don't get the Petri Lite, the Petri V2 would be running on my OG Sig 150.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
V2. Absolutely.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've put my V2 on my Noisy Cricket, Sigelei 150 TC, DNA200 devices, and everything in between.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Just a bit more of my $0.02, I ordered another two Petri V2 clones from FT. They seem to be just as good as the original, without costing you an arm and a leg.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Do you have the V1.5 or the V2 original?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They're close, I agree, but I still think the quality of the original is apples and oranges compared to the clone I have.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have 3 clones, one V1.5 and two V2 (one with cloud cap). The V1.5 is now a bottom feed. I liked them so much that I bought a V2 authentic. Not because the clones are poor quality, as noted above there is little difference between them, but more as a thank you to the original designers for an excellent design that just flat works.

VU Sponsors