Become a Patron!

drip tips::: resin? pom? ptfe? teflon? whats the difference? why do i want what?

hey everyone, so im lurking around fasttech and realized i had a question but no answer yet. figured id come here and try my luck with you smart smart folk :)

anyway, what is the difference in all these various types of plastic? why do i want/not want them?

a few i was looking at were these resin ones:::
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3099/10013716/2320700-resin-510-drip-tip-7-pieces

and these pom ones:::
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3099/10013700/2318000-pom-510-drip-tip-7-pieces

any help of course much appreciated. thanks yall!

HellB

Member For 4 Years
Pom are the best feels soft in your mouth not that hard plastic and don't get dirty careful if you drop with weight it will damage. Resign didn't try yet. Prefer Pom than ss.

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

Callipleura

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you live in very cold climates in the winter metal materials might stick to wet lips... glass might be naturally more inert, but can break more easily... banging your teeth with your drip tip might feel better if it was a plastic... I'd probably just buy what I liked and hope more for a good fit, but am interest in hearing why people like certain tips and like seeing them when people post pictures of them.
Cheers

Brian L

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to have to try one of those POM tips. I'm not a huge fan of the steel ones.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a white plastic cherry vapes friction fit drip tip which I love. Wide bore, doesn't get narrow at the 510 connection which keeps juice from collecting there and ending up in my mouth. Somehow it manages to stay clean without any effort, despite the fact that its white; and I don't worry about busting my front teeth with it.

My stainless tips, on the other hand, constantly collect dried lip skin and mucus and I'm forced to wash it off repeatedly throughout the day. Every puff, my lips stick a bit and it gets gross quickly. Also, every time I tap the metal tip on my front teeth I cringe. Its not a good feeling knowing you could easily bust a tooth at any moment.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My fave right now are the Teflon drip tips by Vaponaute:

10802592_352987341527621_176743095_a.jpg

Made of Teflon, these are super comfortable to use, very good quality drip tips.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey everyone, so im lurking around fasttech and realized i had a question but no answer yet. figured id come here and try my luck with you smart smart folk :)

anyway, what is the difference in all these various types of plastic? why do i want/not want them?

a few i was looking at were these resin ones:::
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3099/10013716/2320700-resin-510-drip-tip-7-pieces

and these pom ones:::
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3099/10013700/2318000-pom-510-drip-tip-7-pieces

any help of course much appreciated. thanks yall!

POM is acetal plastic, typically Delrin or Celcon for vaping. It's a hard plastic that is widely used for vape parts because of its high heat tolerance and it's fairly good chemical inertness.

'Resin' is any plastic, so with those you don't know what the material actually is. My bet is they are also a hard plastic and will vape a lot like the POM drip tips.

Teflon is slippery, also handles high heat and is a bit softer than POM. Think Teflon coated frying pans. The great thing about these is they are slippery enough so dead skin from our lips doesn't stick to them and need to be washed off every few days.

SS is nice in that it's almost indestructible. Downsides are it retains heat much more than plastic does so if you're vaping at high power these can tend to get hot. SS also attracts DT 'gunk' faster than anything else I've ever used other than brass.

I've also used brass, but some people feel the risk of ingesting lead from that is not worth it.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Try a few. I've tried aluminum ss and various plastic ones, prefer the plastic myself. Personal preference tho as drip tip gunk is just Grossman as my aluminum and ss ones seem to get rather quickly.

NicksCustoms

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use Delrin drip tips that I custom make

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 86

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never really thought to ask. I use "plastic" tips. I'm not sure if its delrin, Teflon or something else. I only use them because they don't seem to gunk up as quick or get uncomfortably warm like the SS ones that come stock with most tanks (I'm looking at you, Kanger)

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have some glass tipped ones I love, but I'm afraid to take them outside!

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Me and glass...

Well, let's just say that it would be more efficient if I were to take one of my old lighters and put it to a $20 bill. I doubt it would last the day in my possession. With my luck I'd leave my mod on my lap, stand up, and... Tile floor, concrete, asphalt. Yeah.

Some of them sure do look nice though... However they do retain heat more so than their plasticy counterparts, which is an issue to me.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors