Become a Patron!

Driptech DS clone or coppervape brass?

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking to pick up a new squonker as my wife has claimed my pico as hers.

Like the edge squonks so looking at either the DS or the solid brass coppervape. May be open to other suggestions as well but it has to be affordable (cheap) and preferably different than the pulse I am using now.

Nothing wrong with the pulse, just wanting a different form factor.

Mech or unregulated only, like the looks of the boxer clone and a little bit of the Hugo squeezer, but leaning more towards the DS or coppervape.

Someone care to weigh in on this?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Looking to pick up a new squonker as my wife has claimed my pico as hers.

Like the edge squonks so looking at either the DS or the solid brass coppervape. May be open to other suggestions as well but it has to be affordable (cheap) and preferably different than the pulse I am using now.

Nothing wrong with the pulse, just wanting a different form factor.

Mech or unregulated only, like the looks of the boxer clone and a little bit of the Hugo squeezer, but leaning more towards the DS or coppervape.

Someone care to weigh in on this?

If you like heft - the CV in brass is a substantial little mod - I was in on the first custom batch of those ever made and still use mine to this day

The bottles are a little hard - about what you get out of the Pico

I do not have the clone DS (I did have the authentic, very substantial mod also) - but it is my understanding that the FT version with white lettering is very substandard and more dangerous - but the one with the lettering the same color as the mod itself is not bad

There is also a lot of love out there for the Hugo Squeezer, it is supposed to be a pretty good budget squonker

I'd steer clear of the Boxer - clone or authentic

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stay away from the DS clones. White lettering or none...the buttons have many problems. I have 3 clones all shelfed. Have a button guy trying to rescue them but not looking good. Now if you wanna go authentic. Trust me...you will not be disappointed. Trust me...i have 5.

Sent from my a very cloudy room

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was the Hugo Squeezer that convinced me to get the Gbox 200..

The hugo comes with a couple bottles and a useful refill bottle, and mechanically it's just nice & simple. One of their talking-points is a claim not to arc, and after a month or so of use I saw no sign of arcing on the switch. And, the 'lock' actually works well, too.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am not all that concerned about the plastic button, I am familiar with the issue and would likely just make my own out of metal anyway.

As far as RSAs go, are there any metal clones that have airflow similar to the wasp? I love the wasp and will either pick up another one, or something similar like Hadalay, narda, etc.
but I don't want tight airflow, what would you suggest?

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How is the voltage drop on the coppervape?

And any input on RSA similar to wasp airflow?

notagoodnameleft

Member For 4 Years
Have the coppervape in Brass, Silver, and Black (obvious I liked it, but brass first). Have multiple plastic ones (Vandy, even coppervapes version) and hands down the BRASS coppervape is favored. I will not bother to gripe on the plastic mechs - but suffice to say the build quality is not substantial. If (HUGE IF) a single manufacturer would take the time and effort to build a plastic box like Geekvape did with the Mech Pro (internals and switch), then I'd jump on it, but in 4 tries of plastic Squonkers - I'm still using the Brass 4 to 1 over any other. Will say the coppervape's switch mechanism / style (BF ver 2 - the plastic one) is better - but the lock and the switch itself is poor.

Issues with the Coppervape BF v1 (the metal ones): The switch is chintzy (and wears over time - but cheap to replace). The switch mechanism / style is lackluster - and often needs cleaned / adjusted. The 'sync' as I will call it (connection of the top to the bottom via magnets) could have been done better - and often will need cleaned. Also - careful - the magnets are large - but not all that strong (tensile) - both my black and the brass have broken off - and stuck in the base - it killed the black one as both broke - but the brass still has one working - and still is in first place...

Voltage drop on the silver and black is much more than the brass. The brass is the only one I would buy again (and have).

Bottles are NOT the best - but they ARE standard 10ml bottles that most people have a pile laying around from when 10ml was the going bottle at the local B&M. You can easily find both PE and PET - I've not really looked to hard for others.

I've had over a dozen Squonkers, the coppervape silver and brass stay in the rotation - but the Brass is by far, the #1. If my lazy butt ever fixes the black - it will reclaim a spot as well.

One last note - skip the "kit" - and then buy a dead rabbit - being able to drowned the coils and wick with no leaking - priceless.

I have a 2nd replacement Athena coming this week (first was lost, second was run over by forklift I think - third is a charm), and I'll post here what I think. I've not tried the DS or any of the zillion they have on 3Fvape - I was on my way to buy an Hcigar Magic Box - but ended up with the Athena kit for the same price, and since I am overly impressed with my collection of GeekVape MECH Pro(s) - I ordered the Athena.

My personal opinion - the button and the link between positive and negative is EVERYTHING. The quality in the cheaper Squonkers is BAD across the board. A plastic case and a 'link' you can pull out - that is just an invitation for failure... The coppervape isn't too much better with the plastic button on a floating switch - but it works. One day I hope GeekVape takes a MechPro and simply adds a Squonker to it - as it is my favorite mech of all time and is built like a brick chithouse.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WIth all the bloody tube mods they sold, with all the mechanical-mod users here and all over.. You'd think there would be SOME damned way to replace the DS-Style switch with something that bloody worked.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg Update:
Got my Hugo squeeze in yesterday, pleasantly surprised, it feels nice and rugged, the shiny silver plated internals look good and perform well.

The bottles are a little soft for my liking but easier to fill than the pulse bottles due to a larger cap.

Also got a used coppervape on the way as well.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Both the Hugo squeezer and Wotofo nudge are new to me but in my opinion hit harder than any of my other squonks including the brass copper vape.

The copper Vapes are great for maybe higher ohm builds...the contacts are paper thin on those models and just hasn't shown me to work all that great when you need some real power.

There are alot of squonks I haven't tried but as of right now for me the squeezer and nudge take top honors as far as mechanical goes with what all I've tried so far.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New
Both the Hugo squeezer and Wotofo nudge are new to me but in my opinion hit harder than any of my other squonks including the brass copper vape.
Squeezer works fine, for a single cell mech. And, oy - simple... ;-)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The bottles are a little soft for my liking but easier to fill than the pulse bottles due to a larger cap.
..and they fit a Gbox 200! ;-)

Use the refill bottle - I got the Vandy Vape version - makes Squonking sooooo easyyyyyy.. ;-)

VU Sponsors