Become a Patron!

Dropped mod help!

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi friends. I dropped my minikin v2 on concrete from about 5 feet. The mod seems fine. But the drop caused the battery cover to come off possibly exposing the battery to impact. I took a look at one of the batteries, I noticed two lines on the wrap (circled in the photo below), which may or may not have been due to the drop.

Can anyone tell me whether I should toss the batteries or just rewrap them?

f62fd81e6cddc6402e6d4dd4769a7a03.jpg

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Can you see any metal exposed in those lines, or anywhere else on the batteries where it wasn't showing before? And also, check the positive end of the battery, the "flat top" -- I dropped a mod once and it dented that flat top on the battery, so I recycled that battery. If the top isn't dented, and you don't see exposed metal in those lines, they're probably ok. If you do see exposed metal, safer to re-wrap. If the positive top is dented, better to recycle that battery.

Andria

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi friends. I dropped my minikin v2 on concrete from about 5 feet. The mod seems fine. But the drop caused the battery cover to come off possibly exposing the battery to impact. I took a look at one of the batteries, I noticed two lines on the wrap (circled in the photo below), which may or may not have been due to the drop.

that just looks like the sticker on top. you can peel that off. as long as there is no metal showing through the wrap you are ok. the sticker on it isn't needed for anything

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Looks fine from what I can see in the pic.
Peel the sticker off though, that way it doesn't catch on the mod when you're taking it in and out.
If you do see any exposed can; or metal, then order some wrappers. 18650 battery wraps can be found precut on eBay or Amazon for cheap. All you have to do to rewrap a battery is take off the old wrapper. Be careful not to let any metal touch the body of the batteries and positive post at the same time. Put the battery in new wrap and run the hair dryer on high so that the wrap shrinks around can. The other thing to look for is deformations (swells or dents) in the battery. That one looks good though.

BAM crew

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for all the prompt replies everyone. This forum is so awesome

@Andria - I don't see any metal exposed and the positives appear to be okay. I just wanted to be safe and cautious when it comes to batteries.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the prompt replies everyone. This forum is so awesome

@Andria - I don't see any metal exposed and the positives appear to be okay. I just wanted to be safe and cautious when it comes to batteries.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always a good idea, anytime fire might be involved. :D And it's super easy to re-wrap batteries, if you do end up needing to do that; I got wraps at battwrap.com, for a dime each, and then use a blowdryer... safe battery! One of my mods, I had to learn how to properly insert the battery, because it kept nicking the edges of the battery. At least I finally figured it out! And got those batteries rewrapped. :)

Andria

VU Sponsors