Become a Patron!

Dropped my Nic level from 6mg to 3mg and I am REALLY Cranky!

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have SLOWLY been working my way down from 18mg Nicotine Juice after starting vaping almost a year ago. 18mg to 12mg was easy for me, 12mg to 6mg was OK with a few days of minor nic-fits and irritability, but I just can't get from 6mg to 3mg. I have tried to drop down to 3mg a couple times in the past few months but I can't do it. I am constantly edgy, irritable and cranky. I am getting no throat hit or satisfaction from my vape (Subtank Mini 0.5ohm Coil at 27 watts) Has anyone else had trouble lowering their nic and have any suggestions that helped them? I am on day 3 and struggling, my nic-fits are actually getting worse not better.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have SLOWLY been working my way down from 18mg Nicotine Juice after starting vaping almost a year ago. 18mg to 12mg was easy for me, 12mg to 6mg was OK with a few days of minor nic-fits and irritability, but I just can't get from 6mg to 3mg. I have tried to drop down to 3mg a couple times in the past few months but I can't do it. I am constantly edgy, irritable and cranky. I am getting no throat hit or satisfaction from my vape (Subtank Mini 0.5ohm Coil at 27 watts) Has anyone else had trouble lowering their nic and have any suggestions that helped them? I am on day 3 and struggling, my nic-fits are actually getting worse not better.
I don't know if you DIY or order from a place that will tailor to your requests, but I staggered down each and every time I considered dropping by 2mg. Made a good difference and fairly easy transition for me.

Another thing I've been doing lately, I've been vaping at around 9-10mg for just a little bit now. I have some 6mg on hand of some flavors I like and hit those at times throughout the day. Doing that, I don't notice the difference.

Don't push yourself too hard, from 18 down to 6 is huge progress. It's taken me over 2 years to get where I am now. Good luck!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Making my own juice, I switched to 3mg/ml accidentally. I used to make my juice with 6mg/ml. As I was running out of nicotine base, I ordered some more. Months into mixing my juice with the new nicotine I realized, it was 50mg/ml nicotine base, instead of 100mg/ml. However, due to not having any issues with the 3mg/ml, I kept on mixing this strength.
If you'd make your own, you could slowly decrement your nicotine by just 1mg/ml at a time.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
First of all, congrats on getting yourself down to 6mg from 18mg in less than a year! That’s pretty cool. As for making the jump from 6mg to 3mg, I don’t think I could do it unless I was seriously increasing the amount of vapor I was fitting into my lungs at one time. That may be a little counterproductive to the end goal, but if it works for you then it works for you! I’ve been trying to lower myself from 12mg over the last few months and it’s just not working for me. The jump from 12mg to 6mg is just too much of a change too quickly. If I could somehow go from 12mg to 10mg to 8mg etc I feel like my chances may not be in vain, but for whatever the reason juice companies think people either want to vape 12mg or 6mg and nothing in between. When I try to go down to 6mg I just blast through my juice and feel unfulfilled. It’s probably just allowing your body to deal with the change and becoming more comfortable with the change. The inbetween time may feel rough but it will pay off eventually ;)

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That last leap lower no doubt is the hardest, staying within the range where it is tolerable for as long as you need to, is still better than from where you started from:) Good luck!!!

Thanks, yes this step is a hard one. It feels like I am quitting smoking cigarettes all over again.

WHAT IS YOUR JUICE PROFILE?

I like candy and fruit flavors. Ideally 70vg/30pg I vape around 5ml a day. I live in Canada so most of the Juice I buy is from Canadian manufacturers.

I don't know if you DIY or order from a place that will tailor to your requests

I do not DIY. I buy commercial juice from vapes shops. None of the shops in my area offer custom Nic levels that I know of. At this point I am considering buying 2 bottles of each flavor in 3mg and 6mg and mixing them to get 4.5mg.

Making my own juice, I switched to 3mg/ml accidentally. I used to make my juice with 6mg/ml. As I was running out of nicotine base, I ordered some more. Months into mixing my juice with the new nicotine I realized, it was 50mg/ml nicotine base, instead of 100mg/ml.

LOL It sounds like you placebo-ed yourself!!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@RobbieR try 50-50 or 60-40pg blend 3mg that will give you more nic hit and more flavor... The subtank just don't wick well on high vg juices..and maybe that's another factor why ur not getting the satisfaction..and it makes you CRANKY cuz you can't taste ur juice???Were you you using the same tank before?

Vape On

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You could try buying a bottle of 3 and one of 6 and mix them.

Another thing I've been doing lately, I've been vaping at around 9-10mg for just a little bit now. I have some 6mg on hand of some flavors I like and hit those at times throughout the day. Doing that, I don't notice the difference.

I also did this going from 6 to 3. But I find 0 nic loses all flavor for me or should I say it seems bland.

Grego

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I picked up a dripper when I was having a hard time with the nic level drop . It definetly helped but there was a learning curve there, building coils etc.

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rather than trying to make the leap from 6mg all the way down to 3mg, trying mixing the 3mg you have with an equal amount of 6mg (in the same flavor). That way you'll only be going down to a 4.5mg juice. Not as big a step all at once.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if you DIY or order from a place that will tailor to your requests, but I staggered down each and every time I considered dropping by 2mg. Made a good difference and fairly easy transition for me.

Don't push yourself too hard, from 18 down to 6 is huge progress. It's taken me over 2 years to get where I am now. Good luck!

I did it by 1mg each time... and had no trouble whatever; it was easy as falling off a log, dropping 1mg each week till i got to the 5mg I was aiming at.

Andria

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have found that a lot of juice companies will do 4 & 5mg levels. I jump around between different nic levels, usually 6mg in the morning, and get lower as the day goes on. Never hurts to email the vendor and inquire about in between 3-6mg levels.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Buy a bottle of 100mg/ml nic base. Then you can buy whatever juice you want in 0 or 3 mg and bump the nic concentration to your liking.

Some will balk at adding anything to expensive store bought juice, but diluting 30ml of juice with a half a ml of nic base really isn't something you'd be able to notice.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@RobbieR try 50-50 or 60-40pg blend 3mg that will give you more nic hit and more flavor... The subtank just don't wick well on high vg juices..and maybe that's another factor why ur not getting the satisfaction..and it makes you CRANKY cuz you can't taste ur juice???Were you you using the same tank before?

Vape On

Buying juice with higher PG is something I am looking at trying NEXT TIME I try to drop down to 3mg. I say next time because I caved on Saturday and went back to 6mg. My body just couldn't adjust to 3mg and my mood did not get any better after 5 days at 3mg. I am a little disappointed but I realize I need to be better prepared next time I try to drop nic levels. I am going to spend some time looking for higher PG juice in flavors I like and I will be mixing 3mg and 6mg to end up with 4.5mg to ease my way down a bit. Thanks for all the responses.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yeah go back to 6mg and if you DIY then drop by 1mg gradually.. why drop? are you trying to stop nicotine addiction?

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
why drop? are you trying to stop nicotine addiction?

Eventually I would like to get off nicotine completely. I have spent too much of my life addicted to this shit. I am sick of having to worry about getting my next nic fix. I LOVE vaping and I am great full it got me off cigarettes but I would like to be able to leave the house one day without worrying about nicotine.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eventually I would like to get off nicotine completely. I have spent too much of my life addicted to this shit. I am sick of having to worry about getting my next nic fix. I LOVE vaping and I am great full it got me off cigarettes but I would like to be able to leave the house one day without worrying about nicotine.
I hear ya ... the only way that is no miserable is to cut it gradually and DIY that I have experienced I have yet to drop below 6mg if I do its pain

I just wanted to stop by and say I hate life, the shitty computer I have to work with to post this, and feel the withdrawal all over again. I did a pretty good drop from 18 to 12, 12 to 6.. but 6 to 3 is like eating a candle and hating everything and sleeping every other night.. tastes like vegetable oil and parafin and nothing else.. not easy and I can see why people struggle here..

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess I am lucky as when I quit smoking I was using e-Cigs with 1.8% to 2.4%. When I went to a MOD I immediately dropped the Nicotine level to .6% and was mixing store bought .6%, 1.2% and 1.8%. When I went to DIY I dropped the nicotine to 3MG and I do spike my tobacco Blends with some store bought I have until it runs out. At the 3MG level I do find I am vaping more but I attribute it to my having more flavors and choices at my disposal. I am only using an iStick TC40w and a Nautilus Mini but going through anywhere from 3ML to 5ML a day. I do feel when I had too much nicotine though even with 3MG. Never had the nicotine withdrawals some report.

Good Luck on your journey :ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice:

gadgetkeith

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
what worked for me was.

buy some VG and flavor concentrates and some PG if you need as it helps with the throat hit.

stick with juices you are happy with then add a little extra VG and PG to dilute them out a bit and add a couple of extra drops of flavor to boost the flavor back up a touch.

do this over some time and make notes as to how much of this and that you have added and slowly you will work your way down on the nic.

do this over months not days or weeks and you will ween yourself off the nic.

it takes time depending how long is upto you.

i smoked for almost 40yrs and have been vaping without cigs for around 9 months and started cutting my nic after the first month and for the last month i have been enjoying my zero nic diy juice without no real bad cravings or feeling cranky etc

i dont intend to stop vaping anytime soon as i have enough diy to keep me going for a very long time and the almost 40yr habit of hand to mouth and inhale exhale is not going to be easy to break as it has been conditioned into me for so long.

i enjoy vaping and all the flavors i like and now without my nic dependancy i have no worries as to vaping for as long as i like because VG / PG and flavors will always be available .

good luck and dont try to cut it back to quick its a slow process .

we all have our own ways of doing things so take bits of advice from here there and everywhere and you work it out somehow .

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn Mr. Keith I must give you kudos for being able to kick the Nicotine in 9 months! Mind if I ask what you smoked? I was a Marlboro Man so a pack a day of Reds was hard to wean off. I have been vaping for twice as long as I have been a non smoker and only in the past 6 months have I been able to lower the nicotine level. Getting a MOD I immediately cut it in half with DIY I halved it again.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just wanted to stop by and say I hate life, the shitty computer I have to work with to post this, and feel the withdrawal all over again. I did a pretty good drop from 18 to 12, 12 to 6.. but 6 to 3 is like eating a candle and hating everything and sleeping every other night.. tastes like vegetable oil and parafin and nothing else.. not easy and I can see why people struggle here..

duilluminati you need to spend some more time in these forums as they can be a support group for you! Serious so many here are willing to help you through the rough patches. You trying to go cold turkey on the nicotine and when I did it with the Killer Sticks it was a rough nasty hard thing to do but I had so many cartridges for e-Cigs I could pop a fresh one on when it got weak.

Don't lose faith in the fact it can be done because one day you will share your success story!

Last edited:

gadgetkeith

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Damn Mr. Keith I must give you kudos for being able to kick the Nicotine in 9 months! Mind if I ask what you smoked? I was a Marlboro Man so a pack a day of Reds was hard to wean off. I have been vaping for twice as long as I have been a non smoker and only in the past 6 months have I been able to lower the nicotine level. getting a MOD I immediately cut it in half with DIY I halved it again.

i started years ago and was on a pack and a half a day for the most part

then for the last 15-20 years i use to roll my own tobacco with papers and no filter tips

tried to quit many times and failed

took up vaping about a year ago and did dual use ie cigs and vape

smoked my last one 4th july last year and been working on cutting my nic since then

its been the easiest way of quitting i have ever tried and i realy enjoy it .

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tried every way of quitting but never used the gum or patches. Was afraid of having a coronary because I smoked with it on. Did the chew and the Marlboro Snus, somewhere around here I have a ton of them and do not know where I put them. When I tried dual use and "cutting down" I was just getting more nicotine and still smoking a pack a day. Just one day I woke up said that is it NO MORE. I stuck to it and here I am since September of 2014? Wow every time I say the year I can't believe I did it!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Isn't it a good feeling to say I am an X-Smoker?

0f2750bdcda6fad6d629d88dd3c085fa.jpg

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As soon as I changed my tanks to those with lower ohm coils (crown etc) I had to go from 6mg to 3mg. I find you get a much bigger nic hit with some of the newer tanks. I smoked for 40 years before finding vaping 2.5 years ago, and went from 18mg to 12mg to 6mg, and then to 3mg with the newer subohm tanks!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am thinking of lowering my DIY to 1.5 or 2.5 MG but I still like some nicotine on occasion. Can do without as right now I am vaping Zero Charlies Chalk Dust Wonder Worm. Free sample from one of my guys at the vape shop.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started vaping about 2.5 years ago and was using 18mg juice but also puffing on stinkies asset about a pack a day. I was doing 1.5-2 packs before vaping.

I started with a tube mod that maxed at 15w and 6v. Got my hands on a Joyetech EVIC VTC Mini before the upgrade, sho maxed at 60w and a Nautilus tank. I used that for a year and then got my hands o.k. a Uwell Crown and switched to 12mg nic and eventually to 6 mg nic, which I am currently at now.

I now have a Griffin and 3 rda's and making my own coils and juice. Have faith my friend. All things are possible.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went from 18-24 to 3mg in one day. When I was using high nic I vaped tobacco flavors and was just after a throat it. Then I tried a relatives suicide bunny ob and teleos crunch in 3mg and really liked it. I went out and got a bottle of both in 12mg and it tasted awful. The next day I went back and bought the same juice but in 3mg and that was that. I didn't experience any crankiness or irritability whatsoever. At point I tried to go 0 nic but without the nic, something is off about the flavor so I've stuck with 3mg ever since.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
good luck and dont try to cut it back to quick its a slow process .

This exactly -- if you do it slowly, you really don't even notice it.
Great to see you here, gadget guy. :D :wave::blowkiss:

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, 18-24 MG in one day doesn't give enough time to start feeling the lack of nicotine withdrawal. When I went from 6 MG to 3MG there was a few times I needed to bump it up with the 1.8 MG I have from the store. Actually more than just a few times but I am content at 3 MG most days.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It is your lack of Rip T's magic water that is causing your trouble .
It will cure what ales ya .

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I was in agreeance with the whole major gap between 3-6mg, however I have now found the solution....It's called a Boreas! Holy shitballs, I cannot even look at my 6mg juice anymore with this tank! 3mg is guaranteed to make your head spin like you were hitting 24mg! Give it a try, and to ensure you have the most fun with it, hit up @raymo2u for some coils - the combination will blow your mind and make you cranky no more!

Vape605

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welp, I guess I could add my story as it is similar. When I started vaping with those traditional e-cigs through Nuvo about 4 years ago I was vaping 36mg. When I switched over to a mod, less than half a year ago, I dropped my nicotine (and their crappy juice). Started vaping 12mg, then 6. Right now I only vape at 3 mg and plan to go to 0 after inventory. To be honest though, I didn't really notice when I made the 6 to 3 drop. I did notice for the 36 to 12, luckily it only lasted me a few days. The quality of the vaping experience and the wider variety of flavors helped. The 12 to 6 drop was accidental. My vape shop ran out of the 12 and I got the 6 and liked the taste more, thus my journey to 0mgs began. I guess since it was close to when I switched from 36 to 12 I didn't notice.

VU Sponsors