Become a Patron!

Dry burning/ cleaning SS coils.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone.

I have built my own coils for the majority of the time I have vaped, the only time I didn't was when I first started with a nautilus mini.

When I used to use kanthal, I would give my coils a dry burn, and a wipe clean when I rewicked, and would do this a few times, say for example 4, before I replaced with a new build.
I have now moved onto using SS316L, as I like the idea of being able to use it in both TC and power mode as I have memory issues, and it saves me accidentally using a wire like Ti in power mode.

I yesterday made if memory serves me correctly my first SS build for a mech. Simple 26G, 2.5MM ID coils, coming in around 0.22-23.

I was just wondering what the general view is of dry burning SS during rewicking to clean the coils. I have heard from different sources that yes, it is fine, while other places have said that the chromium burns off, and the SS is no longer SS, and can leech things you do not really want to inhale into the mix.

So, can I dry burn to clean like I would older kanthal builds, or am I best just giving them a brush clean, and changing them a bit more frequently?

Thank you all for your help and advice, Conan.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dry burn mine all the time or use a windproof lighter to heat them up. If you look at metallurgical sites you'll find a lot of good info on different wire types and how much misinformation there is about wire and heat out there.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kanthal A1 has higher concentration of Cr then SS316.

Don't know exactly at what temperature steel starts to break down but I do know that SS316 annealing requires at least 1900F, so I think we're safe here.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kanthal A1 has higher concentration of Cr then SS316.

Don't know exactly at what temperature steel starts to break down but I do know that SS316 annealing requires at least 1900F, so I think we're safe here.

Ad yet, we have a thread (here?) with clear pics of low mag microscopy showing extreme flaking of the wire.

That said... I do dry but mine to burn off the residue build-up, but I try to limit how much I glow them.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ad yet, we have a thread (here?) with clear pics of low mag microscopy showing extreme flaking of the wire.

That said... I do dry but mine to burn off the residue build-up, but I try to limit how much I glow them.
I'm not an expert on the subject or a metallurgist, just someone stating what he knows based on the info available.
So take it for what it is.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just pulse until hot, not glowing, dip it in water and good to go. Don't glow em as they can melt at high temps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not an expert on the subject or a metallurgist, just someone stating what he knows based on the info available.
So take it for what it is.

Ditto.
I can't say what effect the flaking has just that seeing the pics was not happy-making.

VU Sponsors