Become a Patron!

dry hits from goliath

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Help!
No matter what I do, and at any wattage above 35, I get dry hits from long hits. My builds have been .4 - .6 with 26 and 27 gauge kanthal. I'm wicked with Japanese cotton. I don't know what's up. Maybe it's a vacuum leak, but it happens with 2 different goliaths. I'm confident my wicking is correct. I'm no rookie. Does anyone else experience this? What are your builds?

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is the id of your coils ?
I was using 26awg 3mm and had a similar problem over 40 watts. Wrapped twisted 26awg @2 mm. Dropped them closer to the air hole used a lot less cotton and now its a wet vape and can't force a dry hit. Most important thing is to get the coils closer to the air holes so it doesn't have to wick so far. Works for me.

Last edited:

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is the id of your coils ?
I was using 26awg 3mm and had a similar problem over 40 watts. Wrapped twisted 26awg @2 mm. Dropped them closer to the air hole used a lot less cotton and now its a wet vape and can't force a dry hit. Most important thing is to get the coils closer to the air holes so it doesn't have to wick so far. Works for me.

Could you please share a pic? I'm anxious to get home to try this. Do you use cotton? What resistance?

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing fucking sucks. I've done everything and built it just as you did. Ive used rayon, cotton, tight, loose, lots of wick, very little wick, high coils, low coils, and swapped each oring. It behaves the same exact way every single time. It hisses for a moment when I let off the fire button, and always hisses for a while when I take long pulls at every wattage above 25. It get burnt above 45. wtf!! I've wasted so much time, juice, and wire. I'm fed up with this f'n thing. Id say it was a defective unit, but I have 2 that do the same thing. Its gotta be me, but I have no clue what else to try. I have no problems with rdas at all.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've also had tremendous issues with the Goliath...I have the SilverPlay, Foggers, Billows, and other tanks that all work great at 50-100watts...Goliath just doesn't quite work right for me either...I've had wicking issues at 40w!!! I can chain vape any of those other tanks at 50w+ and NEVER worry about a dry hit. I think it's an issue with the vacuum. Too much airflow, not enough suction to draw in juice for the next pull. I've closed off the airflow by 75% and had some success regaining suction but it's too hot...still trying to figure this thing out!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I should add that I vape 95%VG juice. I've tried 70VG/30PG in the Goliath and the tank wicks perfectly fine...I cant tolerate that much PG though...my other tanks wick 95%VG+ just fine.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The thing fucking sucks. I've done everything and built it just as you did. Ive used rayon, cotton, tight, loose, lots of wick, very little wick, high coils, low coils, and swapped each oring. It behaves the same exact way every single time. It hisses for a moment when I let off the fire button, and always hisses for a while when I take long pulls at every wattage above 25. It get burnt above 45. wtf!! I've wasted so much time, juice, and wire. I'm fed up with this f'n thing. Id say it was a defective unit, but I have 2 that do the same thing. Its gotta be me, but I have no clue what else to try. I have no problems with rdas at all.
Try the wicking technique by Buttkickers, this is for the Lemo, but I've used it in other tanks and it really works well:

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try the wicking technique by Buttkickers, this is for the Lemo, but I've used it in other tanks and it really works well:
I've been vaping tanks with 95%VG for almost 2 years...and my wicking techniques work perfectly well for ALL my tanks except for the Goliath...Wicking a Lemo for "Max VG" (which is actually 80VG/20PG for most vendors) is easy!!! No offense but I know what I'm doing and have vaped some of my tanks at over 180watts...There is something odd about the Goliath that makes it behave quite different than other tanks. I appreciate the post and perhaps this will help the OP. :)

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon and cotton give me the same results. You shouldn't have to do this technique with rayon.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm with you Sully. My juice is 70/30 and it just won't work well.
My brother (@MikeSully ) and I have builds in our Goliath's that will wick 70VG/30PG fairly easily and the vape is better than nice at 50w+...There are some tricks to it. But 95%VG it gives me a ton of grief. We can probably help you out if your vaping 70VG/30PG!!!

2x 26ga 2.5mm 11-13wrap (I have 11 my bro has 13)

Positioned all the way up at the screw heads (and tight to the center), the coils should sit just below the heads so they don't touch the chimney.

I like to use a thick cotton strip, cut from an organic pad, it should feel a bit tight when you pull it through the coil.

Cut the cotton so, when wet, it just sits down in the juice channel...but not completely covering or clogging it.

Tuck, lightly pack and form the cotton so that when you (delicately) thread on the tank you don't catch, twist or move your cotton from intended position.

You also want to be sure not to block airflow (or have cotton in the airflow hole) so make sure it's formed appropriately around the deck airflow holes.

I'll post a pic of my current build shortly!

rudogg760

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love mine, i cant go above 50 watts but i dont need to, plenty of flavor and clouds at 40 watts. I have 26g 6 wrap on a 2.5 mm screwdriver.
5b683cdc621d9701a684d4e16faf7100.jpg
7b8d175d10f78179ff089c8f4ef462a0.jpg
bb4936ccd1d1039a4e4b9998ecfc6b53.jpg

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do they hiss momentarily when you let off the fire button? That's the onset of a dry hit. That drives me nuts.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do they hiss momentarily when you let off the fire button? That's the onset of a dry hit. That drives me nuts.
Me too!!! I HATE that...my brother @MikeSully will tell you. I literally tell him if your tank hiss'es at you there is a problem..I often vape my tanks in front of him and boast 'see!, silence!' after each enormous hit! With 70VG/30PG and the build above you shouldn't be hearing the evil hiss. If you do, check your wicks and make sure your not blocking the juice channels too much...

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damnit. I really don't want to build this f'n thing again. I will tomorrow. Thanks for your help dude.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The build is only a .68ohm (11wrap) so you will need a 40w-100w regulated mod or better to power it properly. Not a mech build! :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You might not have slightly not enough wicking material in the coil.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could you please share a pic? I'm anxious to get home to try this. Do you use cotton? What resistance?
20150424_074427_resized.jpg
Hard to tel by the pic but the coil is about 1/16" from deck. I use jap cotton very loosely filled coil. Shorter distance to wick easier to keep up. Just chain vaped 10 hits at 65 watts no dry hit. .23 ohms

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 19383
Hard to tel by the pic but the coil is about 1/16" from deck. I use jap cotton very loosely filled coil. Shorter distance to wick easier to keep up. Just chain vaped 10 hits at 65 watts no dry hit. .23 ohms
Omg! I think your pic just solved my problem! I read and viewed videos all telling me to cut my wick right at the ledge. I notice in your pic the tails slightly go into the channels. I pushed my coils down slightly as I'm driving down the highway so the tails went into the channels a bit, and the flavor and vapor increased dramatically. The hiss didn't occur at all! I gotta play a little more when I get home, but I think you saved me here! Thank you so fucking much!

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hope you solve this mystery before I get mine, Rhyno. Learning from the misfortunes of others is preferable to learning from my own...sad but true. I'm pulling for ya though.

rudogg760

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I too am pulling for you, as much as i love the tank, and as much as i recommend it, im sad to see it not work out for you

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Buy a sub ohm tanks, no building, no dry hits, ,no, leaking, full flavor, I have a ud goblin for sale hit me up...
BIGBOYVAPER

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Buy a sub ohm tanks, no building, no dry hits, ,no, leaking, full flavor, I have a ud goblin for sale hit me up...
BIGBOYVAPER
Just throw your money away on coils, and have no way to customize your build. Dont give up on your rtas.

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just bought a Starre. F' these wanna be tanks. Now from those who know... Please compare the vape between a functional goliath and a precoiled sub tank.

FYI, I bought the Starre for $21.99 with free shipping from Ecig Ave with Starredeal as a coupon code.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just bought a Starre. F' these wanna be tanks. Now from those who know... Please compare the vape between a functional goliath and a precoiled sub tank.

FYI, I bought the Starre for $21.99 with free shipping from Ecig Ave with Starredeal as a coupon code.

Sorry to hear you are having such problems. As far as a dud goes. I can't see how that can be. From a point of phsyics. If there is a path for the juice to go and your wick gets wet then the tank seems ok. The problem seems to only be the speed that the juice wicks to the coil. In the pic that I posted it may look like the wick goes into the juice channel but it does not. If there is wick into the channels it will inhibit the juice flow. The only 2 other factors that I can see causing a dry hit are to much cotton in the coil reducing the wicking efficiency. or when chimney is mounted it is shorting part of a coil. That would cause a hot spot that could be giving a burnt taste even if there is lots of juice flow. Sure wish you were local to me. We'd figure this out. Hope you don't give up as when it works right it is fabulous.

I have the starre/maganus tank and it is a great tank also. It has more airflow than the goliath, produces more vapor, has good flavor but not as good as the goliath. I could be happy with either one of these tanks but if I couldn't have both then goliath would be my choice

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno. Maybe it's my juice. I'm using ITC Vapes 30PG 70VG. It is thick. But I hear max VG works in the goliath. I'm using MT Baker max VG right now with very slightly better results. Thanks Nodor, you're very helpful.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dunno. Maybe it's my juice. I'm using ITC Vapes 30PG 70VG. It is thick. But I hear max VG works in the goliath. I'm using MT Baker max VG right now with very slightly better results. Thanks Nodor, you're very helpful.
Have you been successful with any other tanks with the same setup?

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Over the past few days I've wicked and wrapped it at least 10 more times. It continues to behave the same way. The flavor is fantastic and it never tastes burnt unless I too it for at least 10 seconds. I just can't get rid of the "aftersizzle" which drives me insane. It works well enough to use all day happily, but I hate the hiss. Does anyone else have this problem? What pg/vg are you using?

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got my Goliath yesterday. I'm using an 80VG / 20PG home brew and having no issues whatsoever...so far, but I'm only vaping it at 40 watts. I don't really chain vape it and my hits are just in the ~4 second range or so. It doesn't seem to be sucking juice as bad as some have reported, but that is likely due to my somewhat conservative personal vaping style.

I'm using 2x 2.5mm, spaced 5 wraps of 28ga wicked with rayon and it reads 0.4 ohms on the iStick 50W. The flavor is excellent, but, personally, I think the airflow is better on the Subtank Plus.

I hope you're able to find a solution, Rhyno. Mine seems to be working fine within my normal vaping parameters. No "aftersizzle" at all.

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks,
I'm going to build it with something like 32g to see if it's just the cool down time of my 27, 26, or 24 gauge kanthal.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks,
I'm going to build it with something like 32g to see if it's just the cool down time of my 27, 26, or 24 gauge kanthal.
You can test without re-building the coils. Just expose the atomizer an fire it (as long as you usually take your drag, if possible) and see if the coil still evaporates juice after you let go of the fire button.

Omg! I think your pic just solved my problem! I read and viewed videos all telling me to cut my wick right at the ledge. I notice in your pic the tails slightly go into the channels. I pushed my coils down slightly as I'm driving down the highway so the tails went into the channels a bit, and the flavor and vapor increased dramatically. The hiss didn't occur at all! I gotta play a little more when I get home, but I think you saved me here! Thank you so fucking much!

Rhyno636 - This thread also helped me. I've been scouring the internet looking for a solution myself to no avail. I haven't had a decent hit from my Goliath even at 30W until tonight. I moved my coils up near the base of the screws (they were as close to the air holes as I could get them with out a short) I rewicked with the wick cut off right where the juice channels start and lo and behold a flavorful warm vape at 50W without wick taste! It's right up there with my Starre tank. I will tweak some more to make it perfect. Thanks for the great advice guys!

UPDATE 8/16/15: - I've finally perfected it. I shorted the wicks so they are touching the top of the juice channels and pulled the Japanese cotton in half instead of using the whole "width" of it. Now chain vaping at 42W, no wick taste, great flavor and vapor. Can't wait to try higher VG juice.

Last edited:

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd like to chime in on this. I just got the Goliath V2 and I have the exact same problems as Rhyno636. I get hissing after a hit; sometimes I can take 3 or 4 pulls no problem, then, for no apparent reason I'll start getting dry/burnt hits, even if I allow it to sit for a few minutes... it's very unpredictable. So far I've tried cutting my wick so that I have a tail into the juice channel (like rudogg760), and I just clipped them so that the wick sits on the deck (i.e., like what Sully posted). I haven't measured the distance of my coils relative to the air holes or the screw heads, but I think it's somewhere in the middle. I'll vape between 25 and 45 Watts, although 25 seems to low. Currently I have a dual 26 gauge kanthal A1, 6 wraps. My juice is around 30/70 (PG/VG). Another symptom I have, and sometimes get with my Kangertech Mini's is popping and spitting, although not as bad as with the Kangers. I should also point out I'm fairly new to this, so I feel like this is an error on my part, but I have observed posts in various places online where others are having the same problem, and then I came upon this thread... so I'm starting to wonder where lies the fault. I'm going to re-read this thread when I get home and see if I can get something out of this that may help. I'd really like to love this tank; it's a beautiful piece. One thing I did find is that I can't tighten this thing down... it has to be just snug enough or else the AFC ring won't move without tremendous resistance. Maybe that's how it's suppose to be but it's definitely not as tight as my other 4 tanks, and have hardly any issues with them.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine is much better after rewicking, using a little less cotton (too much slightly expanded the coil as I pulled the wick through), and cut the wick above the juice channel. Also, when I refill, I gently groom the wick with a dental pick, then tuck the ends. I only used one coil, though; 5 wraps, 28 gauge twisted kanthal, 2 mm diameter, and the coil is set between the screw heads and bottom of the deck. After a few pulls the resistance started to jump from .3 to 1.8 Ω and found the screws securing the coil were loose. I thought I had tightened plenty but apparently not enough. It works a lot better but do occasionally taste the onset of a dry hit but this seems to happen as my tank gets low on juice..and it still hisses a bit but no popping.

I'm also having issues with dry hits, before reading through this thread and making slight adjustments I was getting dry hits after the third or forth chain hit or any hit past 2.7 seconds. Now it's a little longer, roughly 3.6 seconds. I'm running at 27 watts, using a single 2.5mm 24 AWG Kanthal sitting at .47 ohms. Also using a tip with a 4mm bore, if i use it without a tip the dry hits are fierce. And probably unrelated, from what little research I've done about my tank it looks like it's a clone.
20150917_202407-1.jpg
20150917_202418-1.jpg

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm also having issues with dry hits, before reading through this thread and making slight adjustments I was getting dry hits after the third or forth chain hit or any hit past 2.7 seconds. Now it's a little longer, roughly 3.6 seconds. I'm running at 27 watts, using a single 2.5mm 24 AWG Kanthal sitting at .47 ohms. Also using a tip with a 4mm bore, if i use it without a tip the dry hits are fierce. And probably unrelated, from what little research I've done about my tank it looks like it's a clone.
View attachment 29103
View attachment 29104

Are you using an istick product with those timed hits to the decimal point? That's gotta be one of the more ridiculous posts I've ever read.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you referring to my post?

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 29103
View attachment 29104

You have to wick the Goliath correctly or you'll get dry hits. I've used it on the Kbox Mini, iStick 100 and the Sigelei 150 TC with no issues, dual coil and single coil, 2 mm and 2.5 mm, 26 gauge coils, 35 - 40 watts, and can chain-vape it with 30/70 PG/VG, up to 5 second inhales. The wick has to fit through without too much resistance - it can't be too tight or too loose, and the wick HAS to rest above the juice channel, not in it, at all. the wick also is cut rather short. I round mine and cut a little more off the back side than the front, and my coils sit about 2 mm above the air flow hole. Wet it with a little juice so it's malleable, and tuck it in right above the juice channel, but not covering the air hole beneath the coil. and most everytime I refill I'll take my dental pick and groom the wick (make sure it's not spread too far out, and tucking it in above the juice channels). There's a good video that shows exactly what to do but I don't have the link to it, and it might even be in this thread, somewhere. Don't give up on this tank. It's a good tank, I have no leaking issues, no vape issues, although filling it drives me bat sh$% crazy (if there's a bubble in the fill section it will spit it back out. Have to use a fill bottle with the long, slender needle-like tip and run it as far down as it'll go, staying close to the outside edge of the tank). If you look at rudogg's picture, above, the wick is entering the juice channle, like it has a tail - get rid of this. also his coils are fairly high above the air flow holes - I like my coils closer. I'll take a photo as soon as I can and post it.

This tank is my favorite tank out of the 4 that I have.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
bluthefox, have you tried plugging the other hole with the included attachment? Also, either clip the tails off the wick where they enter the juice channel or tuck them under, but get it out of the juice channel.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry it's a little blurry. This is the V2 but from what I understand, and can see, V1 and V2 are very similar.

goliathV2-wick_zps3djppfhv.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors