Become a Patron!

Dry hits on second/third hits.

Edenwolf

Member For 1 Year
I'm using an eGo-C upgrade unit with Kangertech t2 clearomizer with 12mg 50/50 juice and t2 coil. When I cleaned out my tank, let dry and put in a new coil, I let it saturate for an hour and I'm getting dry hits sometimes even on the second drag.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you priming the coil - prior to placing it in the atomizer?

Welcome to VU.......:vino:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't no. Shouldn't it prime itself if you let it wick for enough time before hitting?
Yes, it can get air locked, you should saturate the coil with juice prior to inserting it in the atomizer.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One other thought comes to mind -- that's kind of a "retro" setup, from back when most ejuice was high PG -- and most commercial juice nowadays is high VG, which never wicked well in those rigs, which is why they came out with new atomizers that can handle the high VG without throwing dry hits.

Andria

Edenwolf

Member For 1 Year
Ok well I primed it etc. and still had dry hit problems and heavy gurgling etc. I did some research and picked up a Kangertech EVOD cartomizer. I primed the coil and took out 1 of the cotton pieces as suggested by a youtuber and it's working flawlessly, no gurgling or dry hits thus far!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok well I primed it etc. and still had dry hit problems and heavy gurgling etc. I did some research and picked up a Kangertech EVOD cartomizer. I primed the coil and took out 1 of the cotton pieces as suggested by a youtuber and it's working flawlessly, no gurgling or dry hits thus far!

An EVOD is not a cartomizer, it's a clearomizer, and again, it's very old tech that was never designed to handle thick high-VG ejuice. (ETA: two of the major reasons why clearos fell out of favor and people started using rebuildables is a) dry-hits and b) gurgling.)

Andria

Edenwolf

Member For 1 Year
An EVOD is not a cartomizer, it's a clearomizer, and again, it's very old tech that was never designed to handle thick high-VG ejuice. (ETA: two of the major reasons why clearos fell out of favor and people started using rebuildables is a) dry-hits and b) gurgling.)

Andria
It was labeled that at the store. A 50/50 mix is hi VG? What would you recommend for PG level instead? What are the differences of hi PG vs hi VG?

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And people in vape shops are just plain DUMB, they don't know the right terminology 99% of the time, and anything they tell you as far as using the hardware is 99% suspect, 99% of the time -- online is your only useful resource. All this to say that it might have been labelled a cartomizer in the shop, but it is most definitely not a cartomizer, it's a CLEAROMIZER. A cartomizer, a/k/a a carto, has fiberfill filling in it, and usually holds only about 1ml +/- -- and they're even older tech than clearomizers.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just picked up some 70/30 PG juice, we'll see how that goes.

Are you saying it's 70% PG, or 70% VG? Because nowadays, morons usually put the Vg first for some damn reason -- and 70% VG won't wick well at all in a clearo.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
More visual aids:

clearos.jpg

RDAs:
RDAs..jpg

RTAs:
RTAs.jpg

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How'd I find it as in they are hard to find in a store front or how do I find it working out?

How'd you find it in a store? Because high-PG ejuice has gotten rare as hen's teeth. But also -- how's it working out? ;)

Andria

Edenwolf

Member For 1 Year
How'd you find it in a store? Because high-PG ejuice has gotten rare as hen's teeth. But also -- how's it working out? ;)

Andria
They have quite a few flavours of 70/30 PG mix, lucked out I guess. I'm pretty satisfied with it, minimal popping if any!

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a side note. When I put in a new factory coil in in a tank(or clearo) I fill the tank then put it in the freezer for ten minutes or so. Then I take it out and let it warm up for a few minutes. Coil is now primed and ready to go.

It works better for me then dripping juice on the coil.

Another note. I've never had a problem with 50/50 juice with a clearo or tank.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They have quite a few flavours of 70/30 PG mix, lucked out I guess. I'm pretty satisfied with it, minimal popping if any!

That's excellent news. I guess my perspective on high-PG is different from most, since to me, 70/30 is more than twice as much VG as my lungs can handle -- I vape 87% PG, sometimes 87.5%. I had to start doing DIY ejuice for quite a few reasons, but the very-high PG I require is one of the more important ones.

Vape on! Enjoy!
Andria

Edenwolf

Member For 1 Year
That's excellent news. I guess my perspective on high-PG is different from most, since to me, 70/30 is more than twice as much VG as my lungs can handle -- I vape 87% PG, sometimes 87.5%. I had to start doing DIY ejuice for quite a few reasons, but the very-high PG I require is one of the more important ones.

Vape on! Enjoy!
Andria
And I thought when walking into the vape store for the first time and picking up the vape kit they sold me, this was going to be a simple endeavor. There has been a lot to learn. I feel like I'm in a safe place now, I'm very happy with my current setup, thank you Andria and everyone.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And I thought when walking into the vape store for the first time and picking up the vape kit they sold me, this was going to be a simple endeavor. There has been a lot to learn. I feel like I'm in a safe place now, I'm very happy with my current setup, thank you Andria and everyone.

At least you had the good sense to go to a vape shop. :D I bought an Njoy disposable, thought it was a good proof-of-concept but didn't like the taste -- bought a Blu disposable, thought it tasted like total sweet pipe-tobacco CRAP... till I finally got the brilliant idea to go to google and search "electronic cigarettes". :D It took me to ECF, which is total fascist censorship asshat country, but I did learn how to vape during the 2 yrs i spent there. :D It's not a one-size-fits-all proposition at all, and that's a great thing, since it gives pretty much everyone something that will work for them... but sometimes finding that just-right setup can be a real challenge!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
but.. Tell us what you really think of Fishwife, Retread, and Ch0ker! ;-P

I think Retarded1 should be hit by a bus; I think Asswife should be gangraped by a biker gang. Don't know the other one.

Andria

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
J0ker - he and Retread decided I should be thermonuked and banned for asking to join classifieds, declining to provide my DL copies and such and just telling them to forget it. Well, it was more abusive than "deciding", but still.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Still don't know him. Maybe he's a new addition, since I've been VU-only since Feb 2016.

To be honest, I'm not sure I can think of anything bad enough to do to Retarded1. Hit by a bus seems like a painful option, so I'll go with that. Maybe the bus for Asswife, and biker-gang-raped for Retarded1? I've heard that Asswife is super obese, so the biker gang might have a hard time finding a hole. ;)

Andria

VU Sponsors