Become a Patron!

Dry Hits

Hi guys. I am new to vaping but I have read a lot about it in the past couple days. I have looked around a lot about this issue but I am being unsuccesful, that's why I am writing this post. I need some help.

I've bought a VAPORESSO REVENGER X KIT. This kit comes with a NRG VAPORESSO TANK with 2 coil heads (from vaporesso) : one with 4 coils (GT8; 0.15 ohm; 50-110W) and one with 2 coils (GT4; 0.15 ohm; 30-70W).

I am using LG HG2 batteries in the mod and the e-juice is Joyetech Sorcerer's Spell (70 VG/30 PG and 11mg/mL nicotine). The coil head in the tank is the GT4 (2 coils).

Before using, I have saturated the cotton with e-juice directly on the cotton (where accessible) and when done, I left the coil head inside the juice (in the tank) for about half an hour before turning it on for the first time.

Then I set the mod to 30W and went for a puff. I got a really bad burnt taste and the hit was really hard on the throat with a less then 2 second hit. Even with this low wattage, even if I smoke it like a cigarrete (not DTL but MTL) it stills feels really strong and hits really hard with not so good taste. I couldn't even try to take a long puff (DTLish) because I would cough right away. Also, the vapour that comes out comes really hot, I don't know if that is how it is supposed to be.

I tried to make little holes on the cotton of the coil head with a needle but it really didn't change anything.

Guys, I need help on this. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if some of my equipment aren't compatible, but I am unable to try vaping right now with this setup and it really makes me sad. Hope you guys can help me

Cheers

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am using LG HG2 batteries in the mod and the e-juice is Joyetech Sorcerer's Spell (70 VG/30 PG and 11mg/mL nicotine). The coil head in the tank is the GT4 (2 coils).

What is the wire material in these coil head assemblies? NiChrome 80, Stainless Steel, Kanthal?

I would think it likely to be Stainless Steel as the mod supports temperature mode.

One thing I see right off the bat the coils are very low ohms resistance. They are 0.15 or lower. From my own experience using 0.25 to 0.50, I find 0.25 ohm rated coils produce very hot vapor. I think 0.15 would produce hot vapor as well. This may be different though in using two batteries. So far, I am only using 1 battery and single coils, maybe a fused Clapton now and then but nothing much fancier. I'm using NiChrome 80 & Kanthal for wire material. Have used Stainless Steel but am learning it fluctuates too much in power drawn.

Then I set the mod to 30W and went for a puff. I got a really bad burnt taste and the hit was really hard on the throat with a less then 2 second hit. Even with this low wattage, even if I smoke it like a cigarrete (not DTL but MTL) it stills feels really strong and hits really hard with not so good taste. I couldn't even try to take a long puff (DTLish) because I would cough right away. Also, the vapour that comes out comes really hot, I don't know if that is how it is supposed to be.

It does not read as though you're doing anything in error, and doing all you ought to do in order to have a good vaping experience.

Guys, I need help on this. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if some of my equipment aren't compatible, but I am unable to try vaping right now with this setup and it really makes me sad. Hope you guys can help me

My thinking is you're using too low a resistance for the coils. Although I'm not sure I'm correct, with two batteries this may be different. You might be able to go that low using two batteries. In any case it reads as though something equipment wise may be an issue. I think maybe @Train or @The Cromwell might offer a little more help.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
the e-juice is Joyetech Sorcerer's Spell (70 VG/30 PG and 11mg/mL nicotine).

The eliquid could be the problem.
Have you tried any other flavors, brands, or nicotine levels besides this one?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All these different variables to learn about & figure into actual vaping sometimes makes me wonder like a newbie, "how the heck do we ever get it to work?" *chuckles* Tobacco cigarettes are sure a lot easier to understand and not have any need to consider beyond igniting and dragging until a cigarette is done. That noted, I'm not by any means having any desire to go back to smoking.

Kitsune

Member For 1 Year
Okay, there's a lot of things that could be the reason.

A GT4 coil at 30 Watts should not produce very hot vapor.

Here's a list with things that come to my mind:

- Did you check if the revenger reads the Ohms correctly? Maybe post a picture of the display
- Do you have the airflow wide open?
- 11mg/ml on an NRG tank sounds quite like a lot
- Did you try other juice? Maybe try something with around 6mg/ml for a start and work your way up or down
- Did you try the other coil that came with it? Might as well be a broken coil
- Wrong vaping technique maybe? As in not drawing hard enough. Too hot of a vape can be a symptom of not enough air to the coil. MTL will of course make it worse, this is a sub ohm tank made for DTL so pulling too soft can overheat the coils.

@MyMagicMist

The coil material is Kanthal, I believe.
I too believe that 0.15ohm is too low, but they are the coil heads that came with the revenger x kit. But even though it is too low, I don't believe that people that uses them feels the throat hit I am feeling with them.

@5150sick

Actually I haven't. I smoke 1 pack of cigarretes a day and that is why I went for the 11mg/ml nicotine. I thought this could be the problem. Which specifications of juice would you recommend? What could be causing this issue with this one?

@Kitsune

- It is marking correctly.
- Yes
- I thought this could be the problem. I smoke a lot of cigarretes that is why I started with this one. I will buy a 6mg/mL and see if it works better.
- Yes. I tried the other coil. Same result basically (and same ohm reading on the mod)
- I really tried, believe me. It's not the problem.

@all

I have ordered a 0.4ohm coil head and more e-juices with 0-0.6mg/mL nicotine to test. When it arrives I will post results and outcomes of each.
Also, one more question:
how high VG/PG ratio has to be for it to start to be a problem, dry-hitwise? Almost all the juices I find are 70/30
Thanks for your answer guys!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Since you mentioned the hit was very harsh on your throat I was thinking the throat hit from the eliquid could be partially to blame.

Many people think throat hit comes from nicotine level but that isn't always the case.

Nicotine level is a main factor but also flavoring agents can cause throat hit as well.

I have gotten a worse throat hit off of a 3mg nic eliquid that had bad flavorings than a 12mg nic eliquid that was really well made.

Also you mentioned a burnt taste even at low wattage.
Some flavorings are so bad they taste burnt even at low wattage.

I would try getting a different brand of eliquid and also trying the 6mg/ml nicotine level to see if that makes a difference.

Vaping is like anything else technological.
If it doesn't work right the first time you need to troubleshoot to find the problem.

Make sure you use a fresh coil with the new eliquid so you can tell for sure if you are getting a better vaping experience.

This is what i would try first if it were me.

You should be able to vape that thing at 80 watts with a 0.15ohm coil with no problems at all so something is off for sure.

We'll figure it out together:)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
PG/VG
30/70
20/80
Are both great for the device you are using.

I wouldn't go any higher on PG because it's a sub ohm device but you can go higher on VG if necessary.

That's all very good to know.

I've read good things about this e-juice's brand JOYETECH and that's why I bought it but I think that some juices of a specific brand can be good and other bad, correct me if I am wrong (repeating: completely new to vaping).

I've ordered new coil heads (0.4 ohm) and new e-juices (0, 3 and 6 mg/mL) from Cuttwood and Milkman. I've read good things about both brands too.

Once I do all the tests I will come back to state the results but by what you've said everything is gonna be solved by then.

Do you think I can somehow wash the coil heads I've used (total use time less than 2 minutes) to use it again?
Of course I will use a brand new one as the new juices and coil heads arrives, but do you think I should throw the two coil heads in the trash or can I use it again in the future? Maybe after washing it with water and let it to dry for a couple days?

Thanks again man, cheers

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Once you burn a coil its always going to taste like burnt hair. You can drown that thing in the greatest liquid gold on the planet and its just going to taste bad.

Is it possible you maybe started off at a high wattage and toasted that thing?

the flavor profile of that e-liquid sounds delicious and made me hungry for some melon. Dammit'

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
You should always start below the recommended wattage when breaking in a new coil. Personally I would have started the GT4 at 17w and worked up 2w at a time every 2-3 hits until I hit the sweet spot. Most companies over-rate their coils imo, I usually settle in just below recommended wattage. I think you are probably good at 11mg (odd #) just coming off cigs. Juices with nic salts have a smoother hit, might look into those as well. I would give the coil a hot water rinse under the tap, let it dry and try a different juice. If the coil wick (cotton) isn't brown around the coil chances are you didn't burn the wick. Some coils take a while to break in due to the wicking being so tight.

For the GT8 coil I would start at 30w and work up.

Guys I am back just to thank you all for the support and to help someone who ends in this post with a similar problem.

I have tried all ranges of nic (0-11mg/mL) and resistances (0.15 - 1 ohm) and lots of different juices with different vg/pg ratios.

The problem initially was definitely because I was using a sub-ohm resistance with a too high nic level. The lower the resistance, the lower nic level I have to use otherwise it is too harsh on the throat (0.3 ohm with 11 mg/mL is unbearable for me). For 0.5 or less ohms resistance, I definitely have to use a 3 mg/mL nic. For the 11mg/mL I found a sweet spot with MTL tanks with near to 2 ohm resistance, but it is ok to vape near 1 ohm with this nic level, although I prefer 6 mg/mL.

The tastes I was feeling wasn't dry or burnt hits. It was all about the nic level.

Thanks again guys. now it's all good.

Cheers

VU Sponsors