Become a Patron!

Dry skin and nose

I'm a vapor for many years (5 plus) now.

From the start I have a problem that I developed a really, really dry skin, and more annoying a really dry nose (to the point I get noose bleeds).

I drink around 2.5 liters of liquid a day (recommended is 1.5 liters). I use almost 100% pure VG liquids, I tried PG/VG mixes but dryness doesn't seem to go away.

I'm not asking for a cure, but tips on how to keep my skin, and especially the insides of my nose moisturized would be very helpful!!

As a side note I'm a man that hate's perfumed lotions and things.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

From the start I have a problem that I developed a really, really dry skin, and more annoying a really dry nose (to the point I get noose bleeds).

I drink around 2.5 liters of liquid a day (recommended is 1.5 liters). I use almost 100% pure VG liquids, I tried PG/VG mixes but dryness doesn't seem to go away.

I'm not asking for a cure, but tips on how to keep my skin, and especially the insides of my nose moisturized would be very helpful!!

I use a Saline nasal spray pretty regularly for the same reason. It's not a cure all, but it does help. I'm a high PG vaper, so I get pretty dried out, too. I'm female, can't tolerate perfumed lotions, myself. I use one that's unscented (Cetaphil, Lubriderm, Eucerin), but I've always used lotion right out of the shower and I have sensitive skin. It's worse in the winter, but it does help a lot. You're already hydrating, so those are just simple suggestions.

You could also look into a portable humidifier.

I use a Saline nasal spray pretty regularly for the same reason. It's not a cure all, but it does help. I'm a high PG vaper, so I get pretty dried out, too. I'm female, can't tolerate perfumed lotions, myself. I use one that's unscented (Cetaphil, Lubriderm, Eucerin), but I've always used lotion right out of the shower and I have sensitive skin. It's worse in the winter, but it does help a lot. You're already hydrating, so those are just simple suggestions.

You could also look into a portable humidifier.

Thanks. Not really familiar with those lotion (I'm from Europe) but maybe I can "translate" those brands to European brands. Eucerin sounds vaguely familiar.

Saline is liquid (water) with salts in them? Wouldn't that dry out more because of the salts?

I looked at "generic" noise spray's but am a little hesitant, I'm afraid that I will make the problem bigger in the long run. But I will try it with saline for a few weeks.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sure it's from vaping and not just from dry air in your house?
Wintertime especially tends to cause buildings with forced air heat to become really dry.

I've measured the humidity in my bedroom as low as 25%, and I would wake up every morning with my face and throat feeling really dry and had a few nosebleeds in the morning as a result.

Sure it's from vaping and not just from dry air in your house?
Wintertime especially tends to cause buildings with forced air heat to become really dry.

I've measured the humidity in my bedroom as low as 25%, and I would wake up every morning with my face and throat feeling really dry and had a few nosebleeds in the morning as a result.

I'm fairly sure the humidity in my house is fine, maybe a little on the high side even (around 60% most of the time). Workplace has climate control which seem to work alright, never measured it personally but it "feels" ok. I work in a electronics laboratory where climate control is a big thing, especially temperature, not quit sure where the humidity is set at though.

If have dry skin by nature, but a few months after I started vaping it really became much worse. Only thing that makes me consider quieting vaping altogether if it wasn't so darn tasty.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wish I could fully explain this better. You know how Gatorade or Powerade (sports drinks) help re-hydrate? These type of drinks replace electrolytes (salts) that are lost from sweating/dehydration. Replacing the electrolytes brings your system back into balance. Some patients that are hospitalized are given Saline drips for the same purpose (more severe dehydration), to rebalance, then possibly a dextrose drip.

When your nose is dry, you might feel congested, but there's nothing there to blow out. When you re-balance the nasal passages, moisture is created, allowing the mucus membranes in your nose to do their job better. Make sense?

This is only opinion. When it was initially explained to me, it made sense. I'm not a doctor, nor a medical professional. They won't even allow me to play one on TV. :confused:

I wish I could fully explain this better. You know how Gatorade or Powerade (sports drinks) help re-hydrate? These type of drinks replace electrolytes (salts) that are lost from sweating/dehydration. Replacing the electrolytes brings your system back into balance. Some patients that are hospitalized are given Saline drips for the same purpose (more severe dehydration), to rebalance, then possibly a dextrose drip.

When your nose is dry, you might feel congested, but there's nothing there to blow out. When you re-balance the nasal passages, moisture is created, allowing the mucus membranes in your nose to do their job better. Make sense?

This is only opinion. When it was initially explained to me, it made sense. I'm not a doctor, nor a medical professional. They won't even allow me to play one on TV. :confused:

Makes sense.

Went to a pharmacy, they did't have saline in spray form unfortunately. They also didn't recommend it. They had some sort of saline "flushing" solution you use with some weird plastic Aladdin lamp (called netty pot or something). Just watched a video how to use the thing. Must say not a huge fan of the concept. Will see how that goes.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lots of water, lots of skin lotion and I like biotene for mouth rinse :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use a neti pots rom time I time. Yes. It's weird, lol.

Another thing, at least for me, is aging. I'm not "old lady" or anything, but it's natural as we get older, too.

Some medicines can also cause drying.

Typos brought to you by: iPhone.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vitamin E oil for skin and nostrils. Also, Nasya Oil for nostrils. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Makes sense.

Went to a pharmacy, they did't have saline in spray form unfortunately. They also didn't recommend it. They had some sort of saline "flushing" solution you use with some weird plastic Aladdin lamp (called netty pot or something). Just watched a video how to use the thing. Must say not a huge fan of the concept. Will see how that goes.
Be sure to use distilled water in that neti pot. Otherwise its going to burn.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You should look for a lotion at the pharmacy that is for ppl who have eczema.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I too have dry sensitive skin and at least 3 nosebleeds a week. Don't think it has to do with vaping, but a humidifier and cetaphil lotion does the trick. Whipped Cocoa butter is also amazing for dry skin, and you will smell chocolate all day ;)

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Grapefruit seed extract nasal spray and take your fish/flax oil. If your skin is really really bad, get Shea butter. Better yet check out this stuff called "Buddha butter". Its oily, but you only need a little for a long way.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Grapefruit seed extract nasal spray and take your fish/flax oil. If your skin is really really bad, get Shea butter. Better yet check out this stuff called "Buddha butter". Its oily, but you only need a little for a long way.
I read great things about this for dry skin.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My skin, nose & lips are extremely dry. I use saline nasal spray, natural lip balm that contains no petrolatum and coconut oil instead of lotion. I can't stand scented balms or lotions & the coconut oil soaks in so well, that it doesn't leave a lingering scent & no oily, greasy feel. One of the things that I wouldn't be without is a cool-mist humidifier, especially in the winter. The added moisture in the room is a tremendous help, even if I just run it at night.

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I read great things about this for dry skin.

Oh yea. I would look into some supplementation as well if your up for it. Vitamin a, vitamin b6, zinc glycinate and PABA takin together is beneficial for problem skin. Just dont go to walmart or rite aid to get the stuff. Go to a health food store.

Taajsgpm

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Im vaping over a year so are all my friends ,never heard of dry skin or irritated nose :( Iread alot about tongue irritation although again not personally ,think it might be nic?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My issue is that I vape high PG. But, I can't tolerate VG over 25%. Even that can cause issues for me.

Lately, I've been trying coconut oil or grapeseed oil for dry skin. REALLY good stuff.

VU Sponsors